Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Upgrade posted:

That's really hosed up. Jesus christ. Can't believe what this forum has become. Is there anything any of us can do?

Greetings, folks.

I was just made mod of BFC... less than an hour ago. I have some things to do and still need to get acquainted with mod rules/guidelines/tools, but I quickly noticed some reports from this thread. I will get to them in due time. Please keep things civil, and do know that the forum is no longer mod-free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

It’s just that it seems like you’re not really mad at me for being stupid so when you use that sort of language it unfairly demonizes retards.

Like, kids use special now the way they used to use retard so the problem isn’t what particular word you use it’s that you’re using ableist slurs.

So you could say my approach is lazy or that I’m procrastinating on some aspects of the project but talking about my supposed disabilities when you don’t like the doughnuts is kind of low.

Anyway I hope your pfeffernusse come out nice

This post is a bad look but you didn't start the use of the r-word in this thread and I already gave the other guy a sixer (I think... he was already probated for another reason, we'll see what happens there). Just stop using it. Now.

Please post better. That goes for the whole thread. Almost all the pending reports to be handled were from this thread, which I had not previously read at all.

If this thread continues to be a hassle I will deal increasingly harshly with offenders as things evolve and as I catch up on the vibe of the thread.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

“Keep things civil”, I said. “Please post better”, I said. “Stop using” that term, I said.

The above two posters are taking short time outs and I will again state: play nice. This thread will be receiving extra scrutiny.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Chevy Slyme posted:

If only Rationale's donuts or business plan (or lack thereof) would also receive 'additional scrutiny'.

It may the that his enthusiastic donut baking posts are better suited for Goons with Spoons than BFC. If this thread produces no content relevant to BFC, it will eventually no longer be active in BFC. That may be due to the thread being closed, it dying from inactivity, or it being moved.

In the meantime please report inappropriate posts, and again: play nice.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I got the tude now posted:

Power changed you, dog.

I believe BFC is largely self-regulating, but this thread was/is causing headaches. I would prefer to not ever need to post in this thread again!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sundae posted:

Can this be the official BFC baking and pastry thread now? I’ll contribute a batch of pills yet donuts or something once I’m back in the states. :v:

Given that this thread, to date, is more of a business mockumentary thread than an actual business thread, there will be some leeway on donut-related content. But certainly nothing official about it.

To all readers: the thread has already frustrated some posters who were trying to make earnest and serious-minded business recommendations. Business, finance, and career related content is desired, encouraged, and in fact necessary for this thread to continue here on a longer time horizon. But, please read this thread with your eyes open and realize the only reason it still exists here is because a large part of the community finds it entertaining.

In the meantime, play nice, and use the 'report' button when appropriate. Thanks.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Maybe OP is reading this thread by the latest business visionary to come from Something Awful

knock it off with the offtopic links to another forum's autoban shitposts

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Yeah, you mixed the fat into the flour too much. Any time you're told to "cut in" butter, you don't want to use a mixer. Use a food processor if you're going to use an appliance, in short bursts. The dough should have a corn meal-like texture before adding liquid. When you add liquid, pulse the food processor in short bursts again. Not only is it okay for the dough to be "shaggy": crumbly, sort of dry, and not totally thoroughly mixed--it's actually preferable. You're going to work the butter into the flour more as you roll and shape the dough

This is true for scones and biscuits, too. It's easy to overwork the dough, I've done it a few times. My scones are impeccable, but I struggle with pie crusts to this day, but I refuse to buy premade as a matter of pride and they usually turn out okay in the end

If it makes you feel better, I tried to make pizza dough once with a hand mixer, and that was a sticky, impossible mess that nearly burned out the mixer. Some things you gotta learn from experience

Stella parks is the goat of pastry, this pie crust is easy as hell and delicious. If I have a weird pastry question one of the first things I do is search “x Stella parks” to see if she has written about it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/old-fashioned-flaky-pie-dough-recipe

With pie do, your fat can be pretty large when you stop mixing, you want to see some less incorporated flour when you fold it, as long as none of your fat pieces penetrate all the way through the crust, which folding over four times should prevent, it won’t leak

Great posts. Happy Thanksgiving weekend, all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

Business is whatever keeps you busy

only if you're VC-backed

I'm gonna have to figure out some kind of mod challenge for the business aspect of this thread eventually

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

I can be trolling and also getting into a coffee and doughnut situation

this post was leaps and bounds better than the post it was replying to, and it's the comedy aspect of this thread that keeps it rolling

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dough-not miss this thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020879

BFC mods seeking feedback on modding and subforum rules for 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I got some donuts from Dunkin' today. solid but unspectacular, as always. I'm a fan of their sour cream donuts in particular. also tried the turkey sausage english muffin: mediocre.

anyway, thread, figured you all may want to know that baddog and I have posted updated rules for BFC. have a look:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4021411

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

this is incredible.

but, dear other posters, please minimize non-donut derails. this is not gonna be a backdoor landlord thread because that would invite headache inducing drama.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

slurm posted:

Goddamnit it's a loving landlord thread? Real estate goes up hundreds of percent a year, why do anything but borrow against the housing you're hoarding.

it's not a landlord thread, and any further attempts to turn it into a landlord thread will be met with sixers. don't gently caress up this dumbass wishful thinking donut thread

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

coconono posted:

How many donuts can you make before the divorce is finalized challenge

Please don’t shitpost about people’s families in BFC. See the rules thread, don’t be an rear end in a top hat.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

2pm the closers come in

gonna need a closer to right this coffee ship (nsfw language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goFaACJXZiY

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Who made those?

I also want to know this, Rationale please give us the deets!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

haha dammit, when I ask a leading question about that right before you, it means I already know the answer. now we are deprived of the opportunity to watch him trip over his own baking sheet

good work though. might have to institute a new rule just for this thread about no posting of unattributed baked goods!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

New thread title suggestion: Will I make money in donuts and coffee

can't do the bbcode in thread title, but came the closest I could

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

No, I will not make money off donuts and coffee

Rationale posted:

Speak for yourself

every passing month pseudo's post gets closer to becoming the new thread title

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Learning to make good food involves throwing away a lot of lovely food because you don’t want to beg someone to come back once youve learned because they will have already told their friends about t he retard making lovely donuts in a condemned building

please don't use demeaning language directed at other goons in BFC, offensive use of that particular r-word in this very thread is the reason admins had to find a mod for BFC in the first place. see discussion from around the time of my first posts in this thread, and also re-read the BFC rules. weird jokes that don't land about like, I dunno, breaking another goon's legs should probably be dialed back a bit too. this is a very grey forum, despite this thread's existence. everyone, please take this as a general reminder to all.

now, brief foray above aside, let's all keep this thread on track with posts about donuts and coffee and less about other random poo poo calibrated to annoy other posters (including rotated pics of throwing knives, take it to TFR)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

It’s a donut knife can’t you see the hole

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flBqojLpAnI

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

eh, by his prior posts isn't his wife supposed to be like 8 months pregnant right now? i think we can cut him some slack for, say, the next 2 years

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

I am not a "business expert" but maybe you should open your business and see long customers stay in the store before you expand the loving non-existent parking lot.

the parking lot is the only place people are making donuts

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

I think I’ll leave donut lady alone you freaks

i'd suggest you apprentice for her to learn how to make donuts and learn how to run a business

but I don't want to disrupt her profitable business

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hey since the OP doesn't post about donuts or coffee I suppose I'll just drop in this note:

the MARINE THREAD is ending its deployment to BFC at the end of the month:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908783

please drop by and tell them about good coffee before they go!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

ban op if he won't rotate his goddamn photos, ffs

yeah i'm about ready to go pollice verso on his pics and start sixer'ing them based on rotation, compositional quality, size, and presence of donuts or coffee. that bus pic, :frogout:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'd say the "eat it nerds" bit is becoming as stale as your donuts, but there are no donuts, so please stop partaking in additional antagonism of your readership

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Business, Finance, and Careers › Will I post about donuts and coffee

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

please post about the business, finance, or career of donuts and coffee instead of blogging about your kids' future wrestling trips' potential party bus

you might enjoy gbs or e/n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

as someone else remarked, this thread is "cruller" than most in BFC. it's been 9 months of fun and fryers, holes and hopes, donuts and do-nots, coffee and complaints. alas my eyes are glazed as posters of all stripes, swirls, and sprinkles just can't resist taking a bite at the most stale of temptations. it's late and I'm in my long johns, and while I hope that this is not too sour of a note, this thread is creamed.

I shall leave you all with one last twist, after frittering away all this time: if the OP actually opens a business that produces taxable revenue selling donuts, he is welcome to create a new thread and update us on his progress in 2024, or later.

until then,
https://shopdunkin.com/