Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
How involved do you really want to be? If it were me, I would view your plan as "buying myself a part-time job", and I would find a professional management company and leasing agent who would place a tenant in the building and handle all maintenance and landscaping and simply put a check in the mail for me once a month after skimming a little off the top.

But I sense enthusiasm here, and you want to be involved, and specifically want to do this donut plan, yeah? Mostly looking for feedback on this particular course of action vs looking for the best way to monetize an inherited commercial building?

(What's the square footage, anyway? Is it a single-story? What year was it built and how big is the lot that it's on? Any parking lot attached to it?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I would call up a retail leasing agent, tell them your property's address, and ask them WHY there isn't a Starbucks or a Donut shop within 15 minutes

There might be something worth uncovering here...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Selling donuts is a high risk business

Running a retail shop is a high risk business

They're going to exponentially increase the risk of each other, plus you have no idea what you're doing.

To answer your thread title's question, "No"

But really the deal here is you got a Free Building and this is what you want to do with it. This is going to be a (time-consuming, life-altering) hobby where you might break even if you value your time at $0 and don't care about a return on capital of the building. I don't think you're going to be hosed even if it all fails, because you have a literal free commercial building and thus the stakes are low, but have you considered getting some experience with the Donuts & Coffee part first, so you don't have to learn that while also learning how to run a storefront?

- Get a table at a farmer's market and sell donuts & a limited coffee menu
- See if a local grocery store will stock your donuts on the shelves (this is surprisingly easy to do)
- Look at calendars of community events in your town, contact churches, AA meetings etc and ask if you can provide them their goods for a bit
- Just fuckin' make a whole bunch of donuts and coffees for your friends and family and give them away for free for a while and see what's good

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Donut shops are excellent for money laundering, tho

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'll grab a picture of the goat enclosure at the farm next to me. They tried to get into upscale donuts and certainly nailed the "tasty treat" part, but customers just wouldn't pay a cent for a donut unless it was hot, fresh, and literally steaming. They determined that a donut needed to spend no more than about 5 minutes between completion and consumption or customers would complain that they wanted a "donut from TODAY, not yesterday"

That meant someone was making a batch at all times, putting another couple dozen on the shelf every ~3 minutes during morning rush, and working hard to clear the worthless expired donuts off the shelf every 10 or 15 minutes so customers would stop handling them all to see if some were hotter than others

They tried taking the expired (room temp) donuts off the shelf and stuffing them into bags labeled Day Old Donuts ($2 for 8!) but that turned out to be a waste of perfectly good bags. Now they just toss 'em into Goatel 6 at the end of the day

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
DoughverHaus

Cruller Intentions

The Baker's Doesn't

Glazed over details

Help! I frittered away my savings

Call me old fashioned, but I donut need a business plan

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm a non-practicing mental health professional and I'm not seeing mania, but I would very much like to see pictures of your kitchen, bedroom and living room, as they are right now, without doing any cleanup or.. intentional dirtying.

I got a theory

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Rationale posted:

That’s a weird ask bro let me see yours first

And these are some strange happenings, dog!! I'm just curious what the situation is at home

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I have no math and I must cream

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Started off with cake donuts; ended up razed

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Do You Have Eclairs In Your House?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Post, Your Favorite Donuts!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They plump when you cook 'em dummy, that's why they're called raised donuts

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Perhaps OP believes the truck will be useful or valuable in the future. Or they feel it has sentimental value, is unique and irreplaceable, or too big a bargain to throw away. They may also consider the truck a reminder that will jog their memory, thinking that without it they won’t remember an important person or event. Or because they can’t decide where the truck belongs, it’s better just to keep it

Keeping derelict pickups may be present on its own, or in association with OCPD, ADHD, and depression

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My avatar is not a flag, just a gift from a Video Game Friend that happens to use bumblebee colors

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Or! Did they divorce, due to running a restaurant

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got a pretty bad head injury last night and can't connect the dots on this one but Pigs can also mean Cops and that's probably most of your customers in the donut biz

OK going to go do some more drugs and go back to bed, good luck with your gross restaurant and tasty looking donuts

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Have donuts with AND without pumpkin spice

Make TWO billions :smuggo:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pumpkin spice refers to the things you add to pumpkin to produce pumpkin pie (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger)

It doesn't include pumpkin because it's a mix you add to pumpkin

But if you're eating a "pumpkin spice _______" it will often have a little pumpkin added too to get the whole experience

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Eh. It goes by both names all the time. Sauces or spices can be like "fry sauce" where it's made for the thing, or it can be like fish, soy, and buffalo sauce where it's made OF the thing. Nobody gets a side of fry sauce and expects fried potato as an ingredient

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Just be sure not to offer any "Original Glazed" flavor as Krispy Kreme holds the trademark for that

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj9E4cIs3uQ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Speaking of this place, they too are going for the "upscale boutique donut experience" rather than a greasy spoon Dozen-for-five-bucks kinda deal. Here's how they did their buildout, if you want to draw any inspiration, since they've been crushing it for years now and even expanded to a few locations

They only put out ~1-3 of each flavor on the display, so they can use the ones that turned out the nicest & make it look like they only craft a select few artisanal donuts each day. You get to the front of the LONG rear end line

And you'll be pumped to see there's exactly one of your favorite flavor left so you slam that $4.50 button, wait for your donut to be brought out on a plate and take a quick selfie before chowing down (there are QR codes at each table which launch Instagram w/ front-facing camera active and auto-tag the business in the post)

It's quite a lavish affair. They have 2-3 cashiers working at a time but they also have customer experience coordinators who come to you while you're waiting in line and ask what sort of Experience you're looking for today, what type of donuts you've enjoyed in the past, etc to ensure you get the right fit.

Their overhead is insane with no fewer than 5 employees at all times, and premier locations near the highest paid employers or most upscale shopping districts, with rents to match! That's important though because they need to be in the right location if they're going to target people who can and will wait 30 minutes to pay $9.25 for a coffee and a donut

You can also nab a half or full dozen for a minor $/donut savings, but that's typically booked out pretty far in advance

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Blue Star is expanding again after its COVID crises? That owns. Last I heard they had just barely managed to tell their landlord (Portland's equivalent of a Rockefeller) to gently caress off & had dismissed a frivolous suit where they wanted Blue Star's covid relief $$$

You love to see the little guy win!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah that's an interesting problem too... OP might be the only luxury donut stop in town but they're competing against established brands on platforms like GB that can reach across the globe

It's tough to "fail" since there's no rent and you can value your time at $0 but it'll be a lotta blood sweat and tears that turn Rationale Donuts into a household name

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Give away the high profit margin item so people will come in and buy your loss leader product? Bro did the pages of your business plan stick together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Well Played Mauer posted:

Gotta see pics of these apartments. Given the donut property, the over/under on grams of meth smoked inside must be 250kg.

Over under does not work this way!!

Unless it is implied that odds are even with a 250 total