Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

Speak for yourself I have always been old.

Also does anyone younger then 50 buy donuts?

I'm still under 50 and I buy donuts once every 3-4 years. I regret it every time and it takes a couple of years to forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Could the donut shop have an $8 per month subscription that gave you the ability to skip to the front of the line?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rationale posted:

Literally what can I do if they set up across the street? Stop them? Pivot to Tex-mex?

Maybe it wouldn’t actually be a death knell and people would be like “ooh let’s try the local place instead!”

Does your area have a good success rate of mom & pop stores and cafes against large chains? Like some hipstery areas can prefer non-chain establishments, but is your area generally more comprised of chains or mom&pop places?

If there are none, there probably were a couple decades ago.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bloody posted:

Cool non vegetarian plain donuts

Maybe OP can market them to boomers.

"Remember when donuts used to have real lard and women knew their place? Relive the past at OP's donuts!"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Scientastic posted:

OK, so on the assumption that this thread is not a long con troll, you need to take a step back and rethink this. It is vanishingly unlikely that you can build a successful sustainable business if you’re rushing.

To keep going now is almost the definition of the sunk cost fallacy, you need more haste less speed. Learn the basics from people who have made the mistakes you’re making already, in both cooking and in business. At this point you are just throwing money away when you could be learning how to make things properly from the start.

Also if you don't have time to learn how to do your job, how will you have time to actually do your job when you open the place?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dunning, Kruger and Sons Donut Company

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

Well yeah, this is a troll thread.

Would a troll respond to valid criticism by showing his wrestling belts? I doubt it.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

Do people genuinely never drink instant coffee? Like I love getting the fancy stuff and brewing it different ways but cmon at least half the time I want to just boil some water and pour it in a mug and have a drink that doesn't take 5 minutes to set up

That said I, uh, wouldn't pay for it in a shop

That last part is the key here. When I go to donut shop that looks like a crack house in the middle of nowhere I expect to be served drip coffee that was brewed 6 hours ago, not instant coffee. Have some standards!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The after pic is a lot nicer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

In some other online forum, OP's wife is posting her version of all of this; receiving encouragement and praise from all the people in her thread who see the well-detailed business plans and clear understanding of the path forward.

You are mistaken. Nobody will believe her donut business could succeed because she doesn't have wrestling trophies.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

The lady at the shop threw in a half-dozen chocolate donut holes for free, as well:

These hexagonal donuts are way too futuristic for me.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rationale posted:

When they raid my crib but I’m making doughnuts and when they come to get me at the shop they’re stalled at the display cases like vampires

Have you considered making your avatar into reality? Thin wafers of another dough for the hands and a bit of glaze for the ring? People would travel long distances for that.

I made a proof of concept picture!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Volmarias posted:

... Your what?

:goatsecx:

Bun divider, also known as a donussy.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

All donuts have two ingredients: Donut and hole.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Think bigger. Why limit yourself to just one revenue stream? Donuts AND coffee AND meth AND moonshine. That's how you take down Dunkin.

Maybe OP can partner with this guy.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kxbdz/man-arrested-after-opening-heroin-cocaine-and-meth-store-in-canada

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I realized this thread is like hairdresser's. They are one of the few businesses who can advertise by showing stock photos of cool haircuts, instead of things they did themselves. And this donut shop also explicitly shows photos of donuts they might possibly make, but have no evidence of making.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rationale posted:

Here’s nasty cake done three ways

These really put the "do not" into donut.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rationale posted:

Yeah wife pregnant rentals busted garden screaming my name

Like I tell them at work I’m one guy with two hands and there really are physical limitations on a human body. Time I spend ruining cake batter in my driveway is time I can’t spend on sewing up the hole in my pocket.

I said I was gonna do it I didn’t say it was going to be fast or easy lol

We’re naming the baby Revel. I’ve been exhausted for years but there is so much joy.

Congrats on your soon to be baby.

As much as people rib on you here, you have become quite the forum celebrity for many people.

Take care.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The X-man cometh posted:

I am not a "business expert" but maybe you should open your business and see long customers stay in the store before you expand the loving non-existent parking lot.

You gotta spend money to make money, Lou.

The bigger your investment, the easier it is to make the money back in a low profit margin volatile business.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

A cool old-timey donut hole machine

https://i.imgur.com/FgfAO2k.mp4

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

Lifehack: every day you don't make donuts is a day you postpone your dreams and ambitions

If you never actually release your product you never really fail. I'm also a fan of the Star Citizen thread and Chris Roberts has a similar approach, except he's raised $500M+ by saying he's going to make the best donuts game ever.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rationale posted:

Simple isn’t always easy

There’s the guy who carried a calf up the hill every day til it was a bull and then he went to town and kicked everyone’s rear end so hard he got famous.

He didn’t write asskicking plans he just worked on kicking rear end until it was time to kick rear end and then he kicked a bunch of rear end.

But how is his calf carrying business? Is he doing well? Is there demand for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Rationale posted:

Lol do you think you’re somebody? Just go nobody cares

You are being rude. I want to speak to the manager of this thread.