Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

So I’m planning for the business to pay for itself in the first year

i jumped into the last page of this thread without reading the rest, i'm assuming the first 20 pages are op saying these kinds of things and everybody laughing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i'm sure his friends and family said some very nice things about them too

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

Keep negging me there’s nothing I want more than goon approval

if this isn't some troll (if you are, you've annoyed me, hats off), the reason that you're getting pushback is that your willful ignorance comes off as incredibly arrogant to the people who have actual experience and are trying to help you

as someone who worked as a line cook and managed the opening of a restaurant, when you post "who needs a basic plan, bingo bongo, it's so simple" all i can see is the many people i know who were ground down to nothing by the service industry and the utter thanklessness of their positions

all that is to say, when your initial runway runs out, you should totally lean on friends and family to lend you operating capital. once you manage to get on your feet and pay them back fivefold they will surely be very grateful

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

I’m gonna pave the lot and cut in drive-thru windows ya goofies

based on the appearance of the lot, in southern california there would likely be environmental permitting requirements at multiple levels to do the paving. especially if it's going to impinge on the trees behind the building. it's very likely to be less strict where you are, but you should definitely check your local regulations

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
idle thought, maybe been covered already, but what's the plumbing situation like for this building, and what kind of grease trap is going to be required?

i've been in a pretty small kitchen (maybe about 15'x6') that did ~400 covers a day that managed to get by with an external grease trap hooked up to the outflow of our only dish sink (though it was a piece of poo poo and caused no end of problems for our dishwashers), but every single other kitchen had the grease trap underground somewhere before the sewer line

having never had to build a restaurant from scratch, i only know about maintaining and operating them, but not the code/installation considerations. having worked only in places on a sewer line, i have no idea what considerations sceptic systems might need to consider, but worth looking into, maybe including in your questions to your city/county health department. if you haven't already

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Len posted:

I worked for a place that had a grease trap connected right to the sink. The owner ignored it until the thing was so full it backed up into the sink. He then flipped his poo poo about having to empty it after two years

It was a gourmet popcorn place where chocolate, peanut butter, cheese, various powders, and also popcorn went down the drain regularly.

Yes it was a small local business run by a petty tyrant

christ, ours had to be emptied at least quarterly and by that time it was so foul. we probably we're sending a lot more volume into ours, but i can't imagine letting one of those fuckers fester right under my dishpit for 2 entire years. the smell must have been unimaginable

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
cake donut and a styrofoam cup of lovely black coffee is 5am breakfast combo that can't be beat

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

I haven’t spoken to anyone local who said they wouldn’t come through every day.

this is straight up a line from anthony bourdain's first book in the chapter where he cashes checks as head chef while slowly watching a gay couple in over their head open a restaurant with insufficient planning and lose everything

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
you can already buy long john's at most donut shops. just putting them out there, tempting you...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
just a reminder that experienced restaurateurs with multiple openings under their belt, using an established formula, still require at least a year of runway (and often more) before a location is revenue neutral (and sometimes even they can't make it work, the restaurant business is like that)

if your job is not secure, and if you have dependents that at least in part rely on your income, please, please do not put more time and money into this shop. get your baking fix at home, with the stuff you already have. sell it at local farmers markets, or swap meets, or outside of church, or through instagram. build up your local brand and your intuitive understanding of the cost of sales if you refuse to write it up before hand. or gently caress if baking is your passion, and you must have it be your day job, get a job at a bakery for a year or two before opening your own operation. this is going from funny to depressing

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

It was raining so I fried in a sea crate

what's your setup for measuring and regulating your oil temp? i'm assuming that the "three ways" you reference means three different temp/time combos, but the color suggests you're way off on all of them. depending on how sensitive your burner is it may not be able to allow for enough fine tuning. a fryer setup with an electrical element for your testing is probably best to make sure you have temp reliably locked in. probably worth it to get a consumer grade fryer to test recipes before buying an entire commercial fryer. based on your in-progress photo, you're probably crowding your pan. remember that cast iron is great for heat retention, but sucks rear end for heat conduction. if the donuts are in contact with the pan hot and cold spots could be causing uneven cooking

not a baker so can't really give much advice. take as extensive notes as possible, try to recognize commonalities between batches, try to keep changes to a minimum between batches so you can figure out what is doing what

Rationale posted:

Thinking about parking a coffee trailer in the lot

all the drawbacks of a compact kitchen and none of the benefits of mobile food service

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Subjunctive posted:

donut chaat could be good, get some masala on those holes

i don't live in an area where american indian frybread is much of a thing, but the few times i've had it have been kick rear end. the times i've seen it used as part of a savory dish have been more of a tex-mex style, but sub-continental indian flavors seem like they'd also be well suited

op, you should investigate this savory donut idea. somas chaat is probably the platonically ideal lunch, it's a good starting point

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
this is like the unprocessed photos they find on rolls of film left behind by serial killers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Tnuctip posted:

No that’s for suckers. He’s gonna buy the school bus and cut it in half.

jack the murder shack up and put it on a used flatbed he bought at auction