Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

why not lease the real estate to someone else who can take these risks instead of you

This. Or take someone on as a business partner who has run a food business before. There is a huge huge learning curve and 75k isn't enough of a runway for you to learn everything yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Rationale posted:

Worst-case scenario I’m right back where I am now.

How certain are you this is the worst case scenario? Do you have an IRL friend(not your wife) you can tell all this to and get an honest opinion?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Rationale posted:

If I open and operate with cash money then yeah, the worst that can happen is it fails and I close and take donuts to every party I attend for the rest of my life. The dire warnings I’ve been getting are like “it’s a lot of work” and “you have to use commercial equipment “ which both go without saying really.

I posted this and forgot about it, 33 pages later and good lord this thread is good. Thank you for your updates OP, don't stop!

Let me rephrase the question.

Once you open and are maybe two weeks in and run out of cash, what are you going to do? Close after just two weeks? Or will you convince yourself to maybe dig into your savings "just for a bit" in order to "give the business a chance"?

What is the hard line where you will agree to abandon the donut idea and move onto something else? Are you emotionally/mentally capable of walking away once you run out of cash in the short term?

I also noticed you are doing this to "spend more time with your kids"

What would enable you to have more family time: A food business which requires someone(you mostly) to be there 12-18 hours a day for the first 2-6 months(incredibly optimistic here, most likely much longer) OR passive income from a rental property?

GoodluckJonathan fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 21, 2022

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Still waiting to hear what is the plan for when you run out of cash a month or two in. Is the odyssey over? What is the "fail state" of the concern?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Giraffe posted:

Sweet Pea is a terrible name. Luckily, I don’t think it will decrease your chances for success, as they are already quite firmly at zero.

The donuts matter, the service matters, the efficiency & consistency of the business and who you hire matters. Call yourself sweet pea, asparagus, or The Planet Uranus it wont make a difference.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

It makes a huge difference for helping people discover your business. Word of mouth is important but so is showing up when people search yelp or Google for donuts or coffee.

If your business account is tagged as a cafe youll show up.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Its a shame OP went from posting actual updates to just shitposting :(

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

The plumbing thing sounds good OP.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Why you wanna be rich so bad? Anyway, coffee and donuts ain't gonna do it.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Rating this thread get help/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Rationale posted:

Simple isn’t always easy

There’s the guy who carried a calf up the hill every day til it was a bull and then he went to town and kicked everyone’s rear end so hard he got famous.

He didn’t write asskicking plans he just worked on kicking rear end until it was time to kick rear end and then he kicked a bunch of rear end.

Fair enough. So you'll be making donuts every day?