Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

PlushCow posted:

What's good about the game? I don't know anything about it other than it's an RPG but I put it on my Steam wishlist sometime ago.

Ha ha ha like I play games.

I do, just not this one, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

acksplode posted:

Agreed re: 2016 but this is where Eternal diverges. The mechanics are still see-thing-shoot-it, but that's not the plot anymore. The plot is that before you even start the game Doomguy has started executing his own plan to take down the invasion of Earth by the forces of Space Hell which are led by corrupt Space Heaven which assimilated the bad-times-make-strong-men society Doomguy wandered into after Doom 64 and gave them advanced technology but then got dependent on Hell Energy and that's how they became corrupted and also there was a big war that Doomguy participated in? Like you actually need to know this poo poo just to understand the cutscenes.

I guess I fundamentally disagree that you need to know that. Like every scene I remember is "Doomguy goes to a place full of nasty things and shoots them" or "Doomguy goes to a place to get a big weapon, which he in turn uses to shoot or rarely stab things." Him having a weird space castle is way more a vibes thing than a plot thing, which is basically how I felt about the Space Coffin in 2016. Doomguy has some poo poo going on but at the end of the day the Super Shotgun and a Chainsaw are given the exact same reverence as a super suit or space sword.

Any attempt to actually pay attention to the backstory plot slides off like water off a duck because I don't care about the Night Sentinels or whatever but it never felt like it was asked of me compared to like "I want a BFG -> I have a BFG"

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I remember the first level ending with a cutscene where a space angel ("what? thought I was fighting hell") gets extremely pissy with me in a way that suggested there was already bad blood between us. Uh alright!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Who's the mother fucker that was saying this was the worst and lamest thread in Games?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oxxidation posted:

impatom is an LLM trained on ten thousand variations of the phrase “well actually”

lol

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ineffiable posted:

Who's the mother fucker that was saying this was the worst and lamest thread in Games?

Occasionally there is a diamond in a planet full of dogshit.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

i can't quote this enough

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
It's weird how I ended up rating Doom Eternal and Wolf: TNC below their predecessors, for exactly the same reasons. These sequels tried to do a lot more and in doing that they lost what I liked about them in the first place.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

anyway before ImpAtom went off on one people were talking about Rage 2 and man I gotta say that’s easily one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever played. It was meant to be a mix of ID/DOOM-style combat (plus superpowers) with the driving of the Mad Max game and while it nailed the former the latter and open world in general was SO BAD that using the helicopter to fly from icon to icon was the best way to go about things. The convoy attack-style activities, which were great in Mad Max, really sucked in Rage 2. Still I’d say it’s worth playing if you can get it for really really cheap and google how to get the helicopter as fast as possible because the shooting and abilities are really cool

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:allears:

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ineffiable posted:

Me

Now what?

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Actually the XBox thread has that worms butthole guy so it's worse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Doomguy space castle owns

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doomguy space castle had the shelf of doom joke book titles which were actually pretty funny

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Xbox thread has been much better since McGay got banned honestly

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Paying2Lurk posted:

worms butthole guy

OK, you've piqued my interest now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

Xbox thread has been much better since McGay got banned honestly

He was the spirit of Xbox tho. Early 2000s Fred Durst energy.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

exquisite tea posted:

It was very weird that they decided to write a direct sequel to Doom 64 like 25 years after the fact and barely following up on anything from 2016 at all.

Everything is followed up on, all games are canon. You didnt need to know what the robot got up after he teleported your rear end off mars, theres a txt file and aftermath to fill you in

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Not true!! Not. True.

You mfers itt just couldnt handle it and got self-owned

Edit: ill fight everyone of u

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Paying2Lurk posted:

Actually the XBox thread has that worms butthole guy so it's worse.

We've got multiple worms brain guys

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

acksplode posted:

I remember the first level ending with a cutscene where a space angel ("what? thought I was fighting hell") gets extremely pissy with me in a way that suggested there was already bad blood between us. Uh alright!

You were fighting hell but because of doom 64 and 30+ years of .wads, doomguy finds himself travelling dimenions and time and discovers heaven, who is also evil cos theyre alien robots made by the god robot who is now asleep on the heaven lake, decided to bring religion to earth to mine argent energy from tormented souls to power their angel robot bodies. These are the same aliens angels who conspired with hell in their tormentes souls pack to lock doomguy in a tomb, cos hes too badass and that tomb due to time travel fuckery paradoxs is the one thaf turns up in doom 3, which is actually doom 0 since the doomguy in that is before he gets sent back to mars for doom 1 and the tomb of the hero at the end before the cyberdemon fight has the older doomguy/slayer in it who gets woken up in doom 4

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 28, 2024

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yep and all you need to piece that together is like a dozen lore documents littered across the game

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

RareAcumen posted:

Damned if you do damned if you don't. You make a sequel that's like the last game but more (Spider-Man 2, HFW, Gow: Ragnarok, Dragon's Dogma 2, Jedi Survivor) and people complain. You make a game that plays differently from the last one in some fashion like DOOM Eternal and people still complain. What's the perfect middle of the road game supposed to be?

Easy. Just don't make sequels

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Anyway all this stuff itt rn is flying way over my head cuz I'm still reelin from the ending of Rebirth

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

acksplode posted:

Yep and all you need to piece that together is like a dozen lore documents littered across the game

Yeah, like dark souls.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Anyway all this stuff itt rn is flying way over my head cuz I'm still reelin from the ending of Rebirth

Well let me get you up to speed then, you see all .wads are canon and doom 1 and 2 are the first but doom 3 is 0 which makes final doom and doom 64 and its remaster dooms 3 and doom eternal is doom 7 but 2016 is doom 4 and doom rpg fits in here and evenity 1 and 2 but that one
in the building too but lets not forget about saturn x and doom zero but not doom 3 which youll remember is doom 0, zero being a .wad and then myhouse.ohshitmyphoneisfallingintothebath

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

.wad deez nuts in your mouth lmfao

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

fridge corn posted:

.wad deez nuts in your mouth lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Hx8RGxiPI

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Escobarbarian posted:

:perfect:

anyway before ImpAtom went off on one people were talking about Rage 2 and man I gotta say that’s easily one of the most disappointing games I’ve ever played. It was meant to be a mix of ID/DOOM-style combat (plus superpowers) with the driving of the Mad Max game and while it nailed the former the latter and open world in general was SO BAD that using the helicopter to fly from icon to icon was the best way to go about things. The convoy attack-style activities, which were great in Mad Max, really sucked in Rage 2. Still I’d say it’s worth playing if you can get it for really really cheap and google how to get the helicopter as fast as possible because the shooting and abilities are really cool

Yeah it had issues but I still by and large enjoyed my time with it. It’s like 6 bucks on fanatical atm (pc)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I finished DD2 after ~38 hours. Very solid sequel/reimagining and I just wish I'd known about the point of no return because I was missing a good chunk of map. Ng+ still doesn't scale up unfortunately so I'm gonna wait a bit before platinum cleanup.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

acksplode posted:

My complaint is that there's an entire plot explaining why you're doing what you're doing and it's all buried in bad lore dumps. And I've already rattled off examples of lore stuff I'd rather have not had to learn in the first place

DOOM Eternal talks at you like the parents from Peanuts, got it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I mean it's all kind of a matter of presentation right

In Doom 2016 the first time you go to hell a demonic voice goes "he is here" and it evokes this unspoken history and the realization that the demons are legitimately worried makes you go hell yeah, time to rip and tear

If that scene happened in Eternal some demon general would go "by abraxathan no, the doom slayer has returned as foretold in the abyssinian chronicles! We haven't seen his like since the night sentinels waged war on the stygian coasts!" and then it would cut to the doom guy raising his fist or whatever

Its funny to bring up FS games because I bet less than 10% of players know or care about the relationship between radahn and Melania and that other guy who's her brother or whatever, they wisely leave all that poo poo in the item descriptions and to the broke brained 10 hour lore videos

Less is more is what I'm saying

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Other times a "less is more" ethos would have heavily benefited games: chadley, sujimon, riddler trophies, the back 40% of every far cry or assassins creed game released in the last ten years, most crafting systems, the girl chadley

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wonderful.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I can't remember poo poo about eternal's extraneous stuff outside of the space fortress being fully sick and the gameplay being tight. Like I foggily recall it having a story, especially thanks to this post -

Wolfsheim posted:

"by abraxathan no, the doom slayer has returned as foretold in the abyssinian chronicles! We haven't seen his like since the night sentinels waged war on the stygian coasts!"

but yeah overall I just had a fun time with the gameplay. I didn't play the DLC tho, I heard it was really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Honestly Elden Ring would have been improved if the story wasn’t backgrounded yet again mostly via items and environments. Sekiro showed they could do more conventional storytelling pretty well and it was disappointing that the giant epic open world Dark Souls went back to scrounging for item descriptions to get what was going on.