Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Boy of Joy posted:

Honestly Elden Ring would have been improved if the story wasn’t backgrounded yet again mostly via items and environments. Sekiro showed they could do more conventional storytelling pretty well and it was disappointing that the giant epic open world Dark Souls went back to scrounging for item descriptions to get what was going on.

I'm not a huge FS head but I thought the way almost every NPC in DS/BB/ER is just a slightly modernized version of 'Simon's Quest villager squatting in a hut giving cryptic one liners' was part of the charm

Though my favorite part of ER is Volcano Manor and that has the only straightforward questline in the game so:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I always thought the lore being on items was a big trademark of From games (with a couple of exceptions like Sekiro and AC)
It drives the point home that you are arriving long after the party is over.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
For some reason I had even less of a clue what was going on in Sekiro than I did all the other from games. It only took 3 playthroughs to get it. I guess I’m primed to pay more attention to the flavour text of dead dog’s poop than someone literally explaining what’s going on

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

DD2 is pretty darn fun

I definitely feel the 'journey' vibe that Capcom was going for. It's fun going on a trek across the land and simply exploring. I just got to the second region Batahl and it's a very different land to the first.

There is fast travel with items that you can get ingame. I know that being a paid offering was a source of contention for a lot of people but it's honestly not as bad as many made it out to be.

My only complaint is the poor performance in cities but that's probably gonna be addressed since Capcom's literally covered in poo poo flung at them for it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I always thought the lore being on items was a big trademark of From games (with a couple of exceptions like Sekiro and AC)
It drives the point home that you are arriving long after the party is over.

Also that the plot and the lore are different things (your exceptions excluded), which is what makes the lore being on items more than just a quirk. In Souls and ER the plot is the player's struggle, and you don't need the lore to make that complete and satisfying. Though lore can certainly contextualize it and influence that plot -- dig through enough lore in DS1 and maybe you won't want to link the first flame at the end. Without lore you might not even realize you have the choice.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
I normally agree with how From does story but I was just really hoping for anything to make me feel SOMETHING when fighting some of these epic boss fights (other than the thrill of the fight itself). It doesn’t help that they make cool cutscenes just for trailers and then they aren’t in the game at all (Melania vs Radahn for instance)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

From are great story tellers - you just need a giant community to figure it out.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
When I saw the huge epic bosses I mostly felt like "holy poo poo this is awesome"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

For me, Radahn was "holy s

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

For me, Radahn was "holy s

lol

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I know that being a paid offering was a source of contention for a lot of people but it's honestly not as bad as many made it out to be.

This is the perfect summation of nearly every Gamer Drama Event

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Boy of Joy posted:

I normally agree with how From does story but I was just really hoping for anything to make me feel SOMETHING when fighting some of these epic boss fights (other than the thrill of the fight itself). It doesn’t help that they make cool cutscenes just for trailers and then they aren’t in the game at all (Melania vs Radahn for instance)

when Rykard went “togethah we will devour the very gods” it evoked in me a profound feeling of “holy gently caress!!!”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
elden ring is in an awkward place because it has a highly detailed family genealogy and history combined with the usual fromsoft storytelling where everything's in a perpetually hazy "forty days and forty nights" kind of state

but that doesn't take away the impact from lines like "...and i have never known defeat"

especially when the speaker then comprehensively proves it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

To be fair it's an easy claim to make when you have one busted move. So many hosts just couldn't deal with it.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

elden ring is in an awkward place because it has a highly detailed family genealogy and history combined with the usual fromsoft storytelling where everything's in a perpetually hazy "forty days and forty nights" kind of state

Would have helped if they hadn’t given every character the same name

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

man nurse posted:

I will admit the little cutscene you get as a reward for finishing the last one was pretty good though

I replayed Eternal a couple weeks ago on my deck and pressed skip cutscene for all of them? Maybe it was added in a later patch, but it's certainly there now.

I won't defend the story, but I also just don't know why the story of either games could be worth caring about. It lead to the Makyr realm which has some of my favorite art direction at least.

man nurse posted:

I will admit the little cutscene you get as a reward for finishing the last one was pretty good though

The stuff nightmares are made of. Pure body horror. Don't get why Cloud seemed happy about it.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
Yeah I misspoke, the boss fights and characterization in them is amazing! But some connective tissue of the whys woulda been nice with all the backstory that’s set up. I dunno it sticks out a lot more for me in Elden Ring than Dark Souls and Bloodborne, probably because of the scale of the game

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The $100 back 4 blood is $10

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Back 4 a Refund

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Didn't realize they ended development on it too lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Power escalation in DD2 is kind of nuts. It feels like every level requires the same amount of enemy kills or something? I went from 30-40 in my last sitting in a not super long span of time... The second region will throw mixes of gryphons, trolls, and golems at you in rather quick succession, but my party can clear them about as fast as we used to do goblins and wolves. Like a critical hit on a gryphons head will take out a full two pips on the life bar... So since I can easily kill two gryphons, a cyclops, and a drake on a single trip to a quest objective, the level ups just keep popping.

I kind of wonder if the dynamic difficulty poo poo went a little haywire. I haven't been dying much, so I don't know why it would have though. Maybe I just explored too much. I have both the first and second regions fully explored, found a bunch of boss fights in caves and did the first half of the sphinx stuff (I know where her second location is too from exploring, just haven't bothered going back yet), but I only just did the stuff with the castle rising from the sea.

I think the game intended me to follow the main quest a bit more closely, but I just played it like Elden Ring sticking my nose in every corner of the map on my own. So not I think I've got a nearly end game character (Other players say they finished around level 40 or 50) but I've hardly made story progression. Whoops.

Anyway, now that I am regularly fighting armored variants of giant enemies instead of a billion trash mobs of goblins and wolves, I'm having dumb fun just chopping poo poo up. I would have liked a more challenging and in depth combat system, but I've accepted experiencing it as "Skyrim but with spectacle" and it's a decent time in that respect. Also it helps that the game is very pretty with an aesthetic style that is right up my alley.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 29, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

From are great story tellers - you just need a giant community to figure it out.

Vaatividya and other From lore youtubers are basically doing the storytelling part of the Fromsoft stories.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Started playign Rise of Ronin.

It initially clicked on me very hard with his tough combat. But then I lowered difficulty and moved to the open world.

It feels like a Assasin Creed game on TV with a sharpen filter where for some reason we can't climb walls. In some way feel like Ghost of Tsushima smaller brother that will be bigger and better than GoT when does finish growing. But games does not grown... or this one does no grown.

Multiplayer feel gross and bad. The netcode is doing a lot of leverage here, but since much of the game is superfast reaction is predicting way too much state where knows none. Is kinda weird because in Nioh 2 it works perfectly.
Also humanoids are not has fun to combat has mysthical creatures like in Nioh. So I expected the multiplayer to be equally has good the worst Nioh, but really is inferior :(

All in all, this would be a terrific cool 40$ game. But I paid ~70$ for it, buying a 100$ psn card. So the difference between these 40$ that is the value of the game for me and the 100$ I pay for the psn card is huge. Had Sony a good return policy, I would return this one and wait for a sale. I am having fun killing random bandits, but at that point is me creating fun for me, and not the game entertaining fun. Theres a limit of the number of random bandits you can kill before you get really bored.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ulio posted:

Vaatividya and other From lore youtubers are basically doing the storytelling part of the Fromsoft stories.

:jerkbag:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the "plot explainers" might not be the worst part of modern algorithm poisoning but they're certainly one of the more obnoxious

hordes of people who apparently can't engage with a story unless it's (badly, incorrectly) analyzed in a doleful received-pronunciation monotone

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Up at 5am on a bank holiday.......... guess that means i gotta play Final Fantasy all day long

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

something I liked a lot in Sekiro was how animations were used to show connections between characters by having them share fighting styles. Emma uses a bunch of Isshin’s attacks because she was taught how to fight by him, and Owl uses a bunch of Sekiro’s own attacks. It’s really neat.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Oxxidation posted:

the "plot explainers" might not be the worst part of modern algorithm poisoning but they're certainly one of the more obnoxious

hordes of people who apparently can't engage with a story unless it's (badly, incorrectly) analyzed in a doleful received-pronunciation monotone

Sometimes I like seeing another person's interpretation (after the fact) but actively relying on and expecting someone else to tell you what's going on is hard for me to understand

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I found Vaati annoying for the longest time and kinda still do... but also have to admit the amount of polish in his more recent videos with the commissioned hand drawn animation is kind of cool.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He's not unlikeable and it seems like he puts a lot of work into his videos, but at the end of the day I think they go against the spirit of the Souls games. I feel like you are supposed to experience the world as you play and put together the information as best you can. I don't think it's a puzzle meant to be solved.

His takes are generally fine, but I hate that people treat them as canonical. I don't think Souls is meant to have canon in that way. Every time someone tries to correct someone based on a Vaatividya I'm just like, ugh.

I dislike his stuff but it's not even like it's cause he's bad or anything. I'm just not into what he's selling.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I dislike Vaati because every time he speaks he sounds like he's having slow sex. And I know it's an affectation because I've seen him stream!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
welcome to my six hour intro to the loathsome dung eater, part 1 of 4

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i don't think having someone else piece together the incredibly obtuse and disjointed bits of lore is going against the spirit of a game where you can leave messages for other players to find hidden pathways and view the way they died to know whether you can safely jump off a ledge or not. the experience is asynchronously collaborative. the lore is probably intentionally open to interpretation and having multiple analysis from content creators feels very much in line with the spirit of the game.

in a more traditional fantasy setting, it's like you go to a random village or town and some dude is telling stories at the inn or around a campfire based on his interpretations. in the souls setting, you meet some whacko sitting on a tree stump alone at night telling you stories about the world around you.

dismissing the cottage industry of lore youtubers as hand-holdy or whatever is purist nonsense. get a snack and watch an hour and a half lore video and give up the idea that people who are dying 30 times in a row to every boss are going to read the item description for everything they pick up and put all the pieces together for themselves.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Vaati is cool, y’all are weird. Although I admit I haven’t watched a fair amount of the more recent ones. Fuckin 100 minute video on dragons. But I think it’s great that it exists for those who are interested! And he’s always super super clear when he is just theorising and could be wrong.

There’s a huge difference between Vaati’s style and something like “_____ Ending EXPLAINED!!!!!” and it’s pretty dismissive to compare the two.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
the vaatividya iceberg EXPLAINED

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I will admit to hating the whole concept of Lore but I do think its manifestation in FS games is very interesting.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I laughed when he was making a connection with Armored Core and Dark Souls lore

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

And he’s always super super clear when he is just theorising and could be wrong.

He used to be fairly awful about that and a lot of other things, so a lot of people dislike him because of how he did stuff years ago. It wasn’t until one of his more recent videos started auto playing that I somewhat reevaluated him.

If anyone is curious about how his stuff has changed, you can just watch a few opening seconds (who has the time for the full thing) of a video like this one. It’s not the machinima stuff from previous years.

https://youtu.be/cbWXHMVWYkQ?si=wIbMLy3i4THbh0HJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

Up at 5am on a bank holiday.......... guess that means i gotta play Final Fantasy all day long

Tha k you jesus 🙏