Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
who vaccinated this mfer too much honestly

e:oh no this is the worst snype ever!!!!!

fridge corn posted:

Goddamn elden ring owns. Get giddy just thinking about it

You are very correct. Even third time through I just adore exploring every corner of the world and think it’s such a step up from the Souls trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

I said come in! posted:

Been playing a lot of Rise of the Ronin, and this game is really good.

If I haven't really gotten on with Team Ninja games in the past (nothing against them and I just was never really grabbed by Nioh 1 or 2 or Stranger of Paradise, my failing not the games'), would I still like Rise of the Ronin if I like other open world games like Tsushima and Horizon and don't really mind if the graphics aren't bleeding edge?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RichterIX posted:

If I haven't really gotten on with Team Ninja games in the past (nothing against them and I just was never really grabbed by Nioh 1 or 2 or Stranger of Paradise, my failing not the games'), would I still like Rise of the Ronin if I like other open world games like Tsushima and Horizon and don't really mind if the graphics aren't bleeding edge?

Probably not. Without liking the Team Ninja gameplay it's honestly got not a lot to recommend it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RichterIX posted:

If you've already played Ghost of Tsushima, and want more of a gameworld that is like that, then yeah go for it. Rise of the Ronin is totally different from Team Ninja's other games, its way more approachable and much easier to play and master.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Well now I don't know what to do!!! Guess I will just finish my 100th replay of Phantasy Star 4 RIP Rieko Kodama

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

You are very correct. Even third time through I just adore exploring every corner of the world and think it’s such a step up from the Souls trilogy.

I live Elden Ring but I think I ultimately prefer souls and bloodborne. Slightly. I find that in ER I’m really just always looking forward to coming across the next area that feels like a souls level.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Elden Ring is legitimately like 15% too long, I generally fully explore Souls levels but I skipped a bunch of the side routes in Haligtree for instance because my build had already been complete for like a couple dozen hours and they were full of Erdtree Guardians and poo poo I really didn't care to fight

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It's got nothing on Dark Souls 2, which is about 60% too long

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I prefer both DS3 and BB to Elden Ring. They both have uch better pacing. Oh and Sekiro and DeS of course. However, I'm sure when I'm back inside Elden Ring for the DLC I will be tooting praise like no time has passed whatsoever. It's one hell of a time, on the whole I just prefer FROM's more focused projects.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I like the sense of exploration of ER, but my favorite will always be DS2. People look down on it but it had a flavor of its own. The multiplayer coop had its own little loop of helping players out with small soapstones and then exchanging the smooth & silky stones for random rewards at the birds. This tangible reward system for co-op is something the rest of the series lacked which is odd to me. There's a bunch more stuff why I love DS2 so much. The covenants, the vibes, the sheer variety of weapons and equipment, the Majula music, etc etc etc.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

fridge corn posted:

Would there be any opposition to being able to revert back to previous ng+'es in Souls games? Like once you go to ng+ you can jump back to ng if you want, everything would be just as you left it, completed as such, and then jump back into ng+ or whatever level of ng+ you've unlocked with each world state in exactly whatever level of completion it's currently at? Or is there some kind of technical limitation for this?

Nioh has a system like that. Finishing the final mission unlocks a new difficulty (Way of the Strong), where you play through again against tougher enemies, but you get better quality weapons (Way of the Strong is when Divine-tier weapons start showing up). However, you can shift back down to the default difficulty.

In fact, I think that might be what you're supposed to do. When I played Nioh, I jumped into the DLC missions after finishing the main campaign, and there's a substantial jump in difficulty between the end of the main game and the first DLC mission, so I think you're intended to play through some of early main game missions first to get Divine gear before tackling the DLC.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

RichterIX posted:

Well now I don't know what to do!!! Guess I will just finish my 100th replay of Phantasy Star 4 RIP Rieko Kodama

It would really depend on what you didn't like about your other Team Ninja experiences. If combat with a load of moving parts annoys you, I won't say you'd hate it since you can get away with playing minimally. If enemies that bait parries with weird wind up timing bugs you, definitely stay away. If learning to parry at all bugs you, definitely skip. If obnoxious amounts of enemy hyper armor irritates you, pass. For better or worse, it is still a a Team Ninja game, and their stuff has quirks specific to them.

It's my favorite combat they've done though. Much more crunchy and complex than Wo Long was, but simpler than the everything but kitchen sink of Nioh 2.

If it's difficulty that puts you off, there's an easy mode that shockingly doesn't water the game down. You end up playing the same game, get punished for all the things any other game of its kind would punish you for, but you're able to soak a few more errors and they widen the parry window.

I really like it. But I'm a sucker for anything Team Ninja does so grain of salt etc.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 18, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I loved Elden Ring experientially but the baseline souls combat is boring even with new hat... I mean jump button.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I loved elden ring as a near-endless string of new discoveries and corners to poke into and be surprised at, so the idea of playing it again while knowing where everything is already has almost zero appeal

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I like the sense of exploration of ER, but my favorite will always be DS2. People look down on it but it had a flavor of its own. The multiplayer coop had its own little loop of helping players out with small soapstones and then exchanging the smooth & silky stones for random rewards at the birds. This tangible reward system for co-op is something the rest of the series lacked which is odd to me. There's a bunch more stuff why I love DS2 so much. The covenants, the vibes, the sheer variety of weapons and equipment, the Majula music, etc etc etc.

Dark Souls 2 is the best one. :patriot:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Each Soulsbornekiro Ring game is my favorite while I’m playing it.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Paying2Lurk posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the best one. :patriot:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

haveblue posted:

I loved elden ring as a near-endless string of new discoveries and corners to poke into and be surprised at, so the idea of playing it again while knowing where everything is already has almost zero appeal

Picking it up after a year or two I forgot like 2/3 of what’s in the game

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I haven’t turned on my PS5 in about two months. Was pleasantly surprised to see Dave Dever for free. It’s annoying that I purchased it about a month ago. But I just chalk it up to supporting the developer and those type of games. Even though they’re not an indie developer.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I’m a sucker for souls games so I had no problem playing through ng Elden Ring like two and a half times. It kicks rear end. Building a new character and exploring the game from the beginning again with the added insight of knowing what happens and with a greater understanding of the characters and the world is a good time. Just in this humble pimps opinion.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

I adored Elden Ring and am super excited to play the DLC but it doesn’t come close to the highs of that first DS1 or BB play through

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

not sure when they added the ability to manually update games in the game library screen, but it had to have been fairly recently

was one of my major pet peeve missing os features for literal years

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

now, there's nothing left to add but folders............

:negative:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i miss patch notes, too <:mad:>

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Arist posted:

now, there's nothing left to add but folders............

:negative:

Themes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i have 3 'gamelists' (folders) containing all the ps+ games i have so they aren't polluting my installed games library

themes otoh are never coming back

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

not sure when they added the ability to manually update games in the game library screen, but it had to have been fairly recently

was one of my major pet peeve missing os features for literal years

This was added months ago.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

unattended spaghetti posted:

If it's difficulty that puts you off, there's an easy mode that shockingly doesn't water the game down. You end up playing the same game, get punished for all the things any other game of its kind would punish you for, but you're able to soak a few more errors and they widen the parry window.

And now it's on my radar!

I have a monster backlog. I might be finished with rebirth by this weekend.
Just finished my third full play session of rebirth in the temple of the ancients. gently caress me it goes and goes huh. I think I'm right at the end now but I also said that to myself last night and the night before that too.
I have infinite wealth, octopath 2, and dd2 that I want to play, but I might pick up Dave the diver as a palette cleanser instead. 3 more 80hr+ Japanese RPGs of varying flavors is a lot. I do like that my palette cleanser is a south Korean casual RPG(?) but oh well.

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

obi_ant posted:

I haven’t turned on my PS5 in about two months. Was pleasantly surprised to see Dave Dever for free. It’s annoying that I purchased it about a month ago. But I just chalk it up to supporting the developer and those type of games. Even though they’re not an indie developer.

Only free for the most expensive PSN subscription right? I have like basic and it's not in the three or so monthly games.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

installed dave the diver, played for like 8 minutes, and uninstalled dave the diver

suffers from the syndrome of just throwing a bunch of bs information at you in the form of two characters talking side by side over and over and over instead of just letting you play. feels like a trend that got popular in f2p mobile games or something. just rear end and kills my vibe before i can even be excited to play.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

i heard it was the best indie game of last year though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ShoogaSlim posted:

installed dave the diver, played for like 8 minutes, and uninstalled dave the diver

suffers from the syndrome of just throwing a bunch of bs information at you in the form of two characters talking side by side over and over and over instead of just letting you play. feels like a trend that got popular in f2p mobile games or something. just rear end and kills my vibe before i can even be excited to play.

Instagram pilled

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i heard it was the best indie game of last year though

Noted indie company, Nexon.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Ryoga posted:

Noted indie company, Nexon.

:thejoke:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

JBP posted:

Instagram pilled

warning, i'm about to sperg out:

the game starts with a credits scene and a "skip [hold circle]" message at the bottom right. don't give me the option if you don't want me to do it. have confidence in your stupid little cutscene. but then of course slam the brakes and make me watch a bunch of text boxes go back and forth before i get to play. then, definitely make sure i know how to use the analog stick by forcing the first thing i do be to "move forward using the L stick" into a highlighted area. great! i know how to use the analog stick! please hold my hand through every tiny detail for the next god knows how long.

that poo poo legit drives me nuts. what infected game dev's brains into thinking people have never touched a controller before playing their game and need to be explicitly instructed on how to move a character? actual indie games like tunic or cocoon just drop you into a 3d world and trust you know the basics of a controller and don't insult your intelligence by placing a big marker on the screen you need to walk to in order to unlock the actual game. i went back and rewatched the opening to god of war ragnarok and even that game has explicit "move R to look around" and "use L to move around" while you're on the wolf sled thing. it hilariously displays "L1 Defend" and "R1 Defend" while freya is attacking you, which are never used that way in the game outside the intro cutscene thing. but then it just shows the circle button logo as a prompt, without any context, when you actually need to mash it to get out of a chokehold.

there's a saying in film criticism that "movies teach us how to watch them" by way of introducing world building, structure, style, etc which guides the viewer on how to interpret and engage with it. the same is true for video games, and when the devs choose to (or more likely, are forced to by other departments) teach players how to engage with the game in the above ways, i feel it makes for a much weaker end product.

i'm admittedly way too obsessed with the topic of how mechanics are communicated to the player, but i'm ok with that. my respect/enjoyment skyrockets when it's subtle, and it plummets when the communication is too hand-holdey. this probably doesn't bother anyone else and it might not even impact my enjoyment of a game passed the first ~5-10% where all this stuff is usually confined to in the whole game experience, but idk that's just my bias.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah but 8 minutes?
I think giving up on a game because of publisher and qa mandated mechanics that only exist in the first half hour of a 30 hour game is maybe a little too eager. It's totally ok to ditch it but if the sum total influence of a game being well funded is a mandatory slow bit that ends, I'm pretty understanding about the logistics of how multi million dollar creative projects get made.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ShoogaSlim posted:

actual indie games like tunic or cocoon just drop you into a 3d world and trust you know the basics of a controller and don't insult your intelligence (...) but then it just shows the circle button logo as a prompt, without any context

shooga'd again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I feel like my intelligence is being insulted every time I open this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Intelligence is entirely optional and in fact is discouraged. Shake off that burden