Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

bop bop perano posted:

Tomorrow outer wilds becomes a ps5 game and therefore the best ps5 game

You need to get back into the discord because I need you to chat with me about Annapurna games!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

thiccabod posted:

Was it the previous PS5 thread where people were talking about Dead Rising a couple days back? Because 1, 2 and Off The Record are all currently on sale on the US PSN store for $6 each

Those 3 are very good games and well worth $6 each. 1 is hard as hell but 2 eases up a bit and off the record is really just if you like Frank West as a protagonist and want more DR.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I appreciate the thread change VG. I lurked in the old one and posted occasionally, but the atmosphere was not great so I eventually stopped trying.

Is Yakuza Like a Dragon a good starting point for that series? Or is it too much of a spin-off to be a good intro? I’ve been interested in that series for a while but I have no idea where to start at this point, and Ishin looks rad so I’d like to get at least one Yakuza game under my belt before I pick that up.

Like a Dragon is an RPG and most of the other games are beat-em-ups. I'd start with 0.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I appreciate the thread change VG. I lurked in the old one and posted occasionally, but the atmosphere was not great so I eventually stopped trying.

Is Yakuza Like a Dragon a good starting point for that series? Or is it too much of a spin-off to be a good intro? I’ve been interested in that series for a while but I have no idea where to start at this point, and Ishin looks rad so I’d like to get at least one Yakuza game under my belt before I pick that up.

Start with either Yakuza 0 or Yak LAD, both are great starting points actually

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Yakuza 0 is regularly $4-5 on PS Store. It's not that price currently, but it will be in probably a week or two. It's on sale at least once a month.

Cowman posted:

Those 3 are very good games and well worth $6 each. 1 is hard as hell but 2 eases up a bit and off the record is really just if you like Frank West as a protagonist and want more DR.

I tried playing 2 recently and it stressed me out. It ramps up the difficulty pretty quickly with the time limits. I did everything in the original on 360, but I've never been able to find my stride in the series since.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Also I always thought the title of Yakuza Like a Dragon was in reference to its homage to Dragon Quest. I had no idea that the entire series was originally called that

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Arist posted:

Like a Dragon is an RPG and most of the other games are beat-em-ups. I'd start with 0.

fridge corn posted:

Start with either Yakuza 0 or Yak LAD, both are great starting points actually

Thanks! I think I’ll try 0 first, I’m kind of burned out on RPGs lately after finishing Cyberpunk and jumping straight into Elden Ring.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Thanks! I think I’ll try 0 first, I’m kind of burned out on RPGs lately after finishing Cyberpunk and jumping straight into Elden Ring.

Yakuza LAD is turn-based, for future reference.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Franchescanado posted:

I tried playing 2 recently and it stressed me out. It ramps up the difficulty pretty quickly with the time limits. I did everything in the original on 360, but I've never been able to find my stride in the series since.

Really? I always found 2 to be much easier than the first one in general but I can totally see why you had trouble with it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cowman posted:

Really? I always found 2 to be much easier than the first one in general but I can totally see why you had trouble with it.

It is, in ways. The movement is more refined, the weapons you can make add a lot of variety, but I remember getting to the 2nd or 3rd Zombrex medicine mission and hitting a wall of difficulty. If I revisit it, I'll probably just play through as much of the story as I can to unlock the areas and then just gently caress around and gain experience for a proper playthrough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone who saved every survivor in 2 back on the PS3, the game does not expect you to do that (and it's not even really possible on early runs due to survivors that require large amounts of money to save). There isn't even a trophy for saving every survivor, the max it rewards you for is like, #50.

e: but yeah, unlocking the shortcut at the very least and then exploring the world for combo weapon blueprints and finding the gambling books so you can get the money for that loving tuxedo (:argh:) sounds like a plan

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

As someone who saved every survivor in 2 back on the PS3, the game does not expect you to do that (and it's not even really possible on early runs due to survivors that require large amounts of money to save). There isn't even a trophy for saving every survivor, the max it rewards you for is like, #50.

I at least gotta save my daughter and I couldn't do that. I failed as a virtual father.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my first year of uni a friend invited a bunch of us round for like a hang party while he did the really long mode in Dead Rising and then he died after about 100 minutes to the guy in the food court

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

In my first year of uni a friend invited a bunch of us round for like a hang party while he did the really long mode in Dead Rising and then he died after about 100 minutes to the guy in the food court

Well, he only had about 740 minutes left before he got the 7 day achievement. So close!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dunno if this is true but if it is, lmao

https://twitter.com/SlimelordKRS/status/1570033822640775174

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I cant believe the queen of england was the talent agency director dude of whatever that is exactly

What pies havent they got their fingers in??

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

fridge corn posted:

I cant believe the queen of england was the talent agency director dude of whatever that is exactly

The main actor of Judgment was a pretty famous Japanese actor named Takuya Kimura, who was represented by talent agency Johnny's. Johnny's is notoriously protective of their clients' images, to the point where press photos of Kimura for films have had him photoshopped out of the pictures. Judgment and Lost Judgment seemed like they were never coming to PC or getting another sequel because RGG Studio wanted to put the games on PC and it caused friction with Johnny's, who didn't want people modding Kimura into doing sex things or whatever. It's very funny.

e:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cowman posted:

I always found 2 harder since it doesn't really have anything as game breaking as mini chainsaws + extension books. Iirc the wolverine claws plus one of the smoothies was close though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's very funny that DR1 let you pick up three durability extension books that all apply to the small chainsaws for some reason, each tripling their durability so they now last twenty-seven times longer. And if you re-enter the area you can just pick up a second small chainsaw.

PacoPepe
Apr 25, 2010
Almost done with Ghost of Tsushima, started it on hard and it feels great, kind of like how Bungie always recommended playing Halo on heroic.

Its incredible this game was made for PS4, and playing it right after Returnal....just a visual feast, i just can't believe games can look this good.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
I don't remember the context, but I saw an interview about something else that was suddenly releasing outside Japan after a long time that basically went "Why is this happening now?" "Johnny Kitagawa died."

edit: it was them finally getting the rights to the Kodocha opening, which was replaced in earlier DVD releases

https://mobile.twitter.com/sam_animeherald/status/1338675492212379648

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 14, 2022

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
For the sake of my sanity, can someone help me remember the name of that upcoming indie game that has an isometric camera and involves jumping into different kinds of vessels (bubbles?) in sort of a puzzle action setup? Aaargh I barely know how to describe it

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I’m about 60% of the way through AC Valhalla and am really enjoying it. It’s not perfect but I enjoy rampaging across England as a fearsome Viking woman, driving axes into the skulls of my enemies.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I never finished DR1 because the AI for the survivors was as dumb as a box of rocks

In DR2 and beyond they fixed it, thankfully

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I couldn’t enjoy DR because games with time limits suck all the fun out of things for me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:whatup: new thread

I'm still playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas The Definitive Edition on my Sony PlayStation 5. Honestly, the remaster has been totally fine for the most part. I'm playing on Performance mode and the 60fps is inconsistent but usually sticks to that target. I haven't experienced any real bugs at all, which is shocking since weren't there a lot of those on release? They must have fixed a ton of those in patches. There are a few missions I really haven't enjoyed at all, like one I played last night where you have to fly a plane under a radar limit halfway across the map and the plane felt like it controlled like poo poo, but that's not the remaster's fault. That's 18 year old game design for you.

Anyway, if you have an itch to play through San Andreas again, this is a pretty solid way to do that! It's still a mostly great game in 2022 with a lot of fun moments, and as far as open world crime games go, I'm glad I'm playing this and not the new Saints Row, which seems like a buggy mess that lacks the personality of previous Saints Row games.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The dude was also an alleged sexual abuser and used his influence over the media to suppress reports, so good all around

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never finished DR1 because the AI for the survivors was as dumb as a box of rocks

In DR2 and beyond they fixed it, thankfully

The survivor AI in 1 is much better if you give people directions instead of having them follow you automatically. To like, a stupid degree. They go from completely useless to zombie mulching machines when they have a goal.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
why

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

VG--> :blastu: :rip: <-- old thread

for anyone curious, here are some stats about the old thread

pre:
first post:                        2020-09-22
last post:                         2022-09-14 (almost made it to two years)
number of days:                    722
number of pages:                   2940
number of posts:                   117568
posts per day:                     162.8
pages per day:                     ~4

number of mentions of
"ps5 has no games":                too many to count

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I’m very proud of us as a group

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I just realize with the AC Red game in development there is now 5 games in Samurai/Feudal Japan period. Ghost of Tsushima 2, AC Red, Like a Dragon Ishin, Rise of the Ronin. Now we just need a sequel/prequel to Sekiro.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I feel like I stopped posting in the thread for like a year, surprised at that placing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm mostly impressed that the amount by which poster #1 beat poster #2 would alone be poster #6

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Also this game has like the best coverart in a long time.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Now make zombie yakuza remake

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

I believe that’s the less well-received one

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rageaholic posted:

:whatup: new thread

I'm still playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas The Definitive Edition on my Sony PlayStation 5. Honestly, the remaster has been totally fine for the most part. I'm playing on Performance mode and the 60fps is inconsistent but usually sticks to that target. I haven't experienced any real bugs at all, which is shocking since weren't there a lot of those on release? They must have fixed a ton of those in patches. There are a few missions I really haven't enjoyed at all, like one I played last night where you have to fly a plane under a radar limit halfway across the map and the plane felt like it controlled like poo poo, but that's not the remaster's fault. That's 18 year old game design for you.

Anyway, if you have an itch to play through San Andreas again, this is a pretty solid way to do that! It's still a mostly great game in 2022 with a lot of fun moments, and as far as open world crime games go, I'm glad I'm playing this and not the new Saints Row, which seems like a buggy mess that lacks the personality of previous Saints Row games.
San Andreas has a few missions that had lovely controls that were all flying-related

The San Fierro toy plane missions being the most infamous

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Nobody wants this it sucked bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Escobarbarian posted: