Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Got 'em nice meltdown haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

:synpa:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Reading shoogas posts actually make me feel more intelligent

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

I adored Elden Ring and am super excited to play the DLC but it doesn’t come close to the highs of that first DS1 or BB play through

Yeah this is pretty much where I'm at. Except Demon's Souls. I've never been so intimidated and fascinated by a game. There was just nothing else like it at the time.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

fridge corn posted:

Reading shoogas posts actually make me feel more intelligent

ƨbnɒƨυoʜɈ яoʇ ƨɘiɈinυɈяoqqo doį ϱniɈɒɘяɔ ˎяɘɈnɘɔ ɘbɒяɈ blяow bliυd lliw ƨɈƨiяoяяɘɈ яɘdmɘvon ʇo ʜɈnin no !!Ɉυo ʜɔɈiɒw

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
On my commute into work, realise I want to play Rising Tide this evening, just use the PS app to set it going and it's done by the time I'm in work. Really awesome feature.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Baggot posted:

This was added months ago.

yes, after not being added for literal years

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Get their asses shooga

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ShoogaSlim posted:

warning, i'm about to sperg out:

the game starts with a credits scene and a "skip [hold circle]" message at the bottom right. don't give me the option if you don't want me to do it. have confidence in your stupid little cutscene. but then of course slam the brakes and make me watch a bunch of text boxes go back and forth before i get to play. then, definitely make sure i know how to use the analog stick by forcing the first thing i do be to "move forward using the L stick" into a highlighted area. great! i know how to use the analog stick! please hold my hand through every tiny detail for the next god knows how long.

that poo poo legit drives me nuts. what infected game dev's brains into thinking people have never touched a controller before playing their game and need to be explicitly instructed on how to move a character? actual indie games like tunic or cocoon just drop you into a 3d world and trust you know the basics of a controller and don't insult your intelligence by placing a big marker on the screen you need to walk to in order to unlock the actual game. i went back and rewatched the opening to god of war ragnarok and even that game has explicit "move R to look around" and "use L to move around" while you're on the wolf sled thing. it hilariously displays "L1 Defend" and "R1 Defend" while freya is attacking you, which are never used that way in the game outside the intro cutscene thing. but then it just shows the circle button logo as a prompt, without any context, when you actually need to mash it to get out of a chokehold.

there's a saying in film criticism that "movies teach us how to watch them" by way of introducing world building, structure, style, etc which guides the viewer on how to interpret and engage with it. the same is true for video games, and when the devs choose to (or more likely, are forced to by other departments) teach players how to engage with the game in the above ways, i feel it makes for a much weaker end product.

i'm admittedly way too obsessed with the topic of how mechanics are communicated to the player, but i'm ok with that. my respect/enjoyment skyrockets when it's subtle, and it plummets when the communication is too hand-holdey. this probably doesn't bother anyone else and it might not even impact my enjoyment of a game passed the first ~5-10% where all this stuff is usually confined to in the whole game experience, but idk that's just my bias.

mmhm do go on

Sushi X
Jan 13, 2001

Dave the Diver seems like a kick rear end game and I'm looking forward to playing it this weekend after taking some edibles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

that poo poo legit drives me nuts. what infected game dev's brains into thinking people have never touched a controller before playing their game and need to be explicitly instructed on how to move a character?

Uncharted 2 wrote the book on how contemporary games tutorialize in a cinematic drip-feed. I thought it was amazing at the time but I absolutely loathe that kind of thing now. I'd rather punch buttons at random and read paper manuals again. Before UC2 the most novel tutorialization ideas were probably in the MGS series.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know how many more roadblocks they can put in between playing the game to signal that it's not an arcade game. You're gonna get a tutorial if you're not playing an endless runner nowadays.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Dave the diver owns and bragging about it boring you in less than 10 minutes isn't very endearing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ShoogaSlim posted:

the game starts with a credits scene and a "skip [hold circle]" message at the bottom right. don't give me the option if you don't want me to do it. have confidence in your stupid little cutscene. but then of course slam the brakes and make me watch a bunch of text boxes go back and forth before i get to play. then, definitely make sure i know how to use the analog stick by forcing the first thing i do be to "move forward using the L stick" into a highlighted area. great! i know how to use the analog stick! please hold my hand through every tiny detail for the next god knows how long.

that poo poo legit drives me nuts. what infected game dev's brains into thinking people have never touched a controller before playing their game and need to be explicitly instructed on how to move a character? actual indie games like tunic or cocoon just drop you into a 3d world and trust you know the basics of a controller and don't insult your intelligence by placing a big marker on the screen you need to walk to in order to unlock the actual game. i went back and rewatched the opening to god of war ragnarok and even that game has explicit "move R to look around" and "use L to move around" while you're on the wolf sled thing. it hilariously displays "L1 Defend" and "R1 Defend" while freya is attacking you, which are never used that way in the game outside the intro cutscene thing. but then it just shows the circle button logo as a prompt, without any context, when you actually need to mash it to get out of a chokehold.

there's a saying in film criticism that "movies teach us how to watch them" by way of introducing world building, structure, style, etc which guides the viewer on how to interpret and engage with it. the same is true for video games, and when the devs choose to (or more likely, are forced to by other departments) teach players how to engage with the game in the above ways, i feel it makes for a much weaker end product.

i'm admittedly way too obsessed with the topic of how mechanics are communicated to the player, but i'm ok with that. my respect/enjoyment skyrockets when it's subtle, and it plummets when the communication is too hand-holdey. this probably doesn't bother anyone else and it might not even impact my enjoyment of a game passed the first ~5-10% where all this stuff is usually confined to in the whole game experience, but idk that's just my bias.

you spent more time typing this than you did playin the fuckin game

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Bring back manuals I say

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Another day I wake up, glad I'm not ShoogaSlim.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

no time to dave the dive, imma busy clive the clive

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Aipsh posted:

Bring back manuals I say

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I could never get into DMC5 because I felt the controls were a bit tooo rigid and reliant on perfect frame inputs although I did beat the game once.

Devil May Clive tho hits the perfect sweet spot between accessibility and high skill ceiling for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WaltherFeng posted:

I could never get into DMC5 because I felt the controls were a bit tooo rigid and reliant on perfect frame inputs although I did beat the game once.

Devil May Clive tho hits the perfect sweet spot between accessibility and high skill ceiling for me.

I love DMC because I'm a freak and I totally agree with this. One thing I'll give ff16 is it finds a really nice spot where you can execute your flashy combos and use the systems without needing perfect inputs. You can tell they really thought through that aspect of the combat.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
Hey if we're bitching about games insulting our intelligence with button prompts "Cinematic Dodge" from FF16 is one of the funniest . There's a popup explaining it in the middle of the fight, then it gives you a 10 second window to press r1. Who wants this?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
DMV 5 fuckin sucked, but DMC 4 was amazing. I was going to write more but I got too angry about completely uncontrollable poet boy

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Aipsh posted:

DMV 5 fuckin sucked, but DMC 4 was amazing. I was going to write more but I got too angry about completely uncontrollable poet boy

It’s okay to be wrong

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aipsh posted:

Wtf playing V owns.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Aipsh posted:

My friend's got you covered. He thinks the same and explained it in too many words:
https://reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/s/wpDhivKBUX

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

JBP posted:

I love DMC because I'm a freak and I totally agree with this. One thing I'll give ff16 is it finds a really nice spot where you can execute your flashy combos and use the systems without needing perfect inputs. You can tell they really thought through that aspect of the combat.

Here's the thing. I love DMC and what the games are about but do we really need to have so tight inputs for stuff like jump canceling, Nero's sword revs, royal guards, Vergil's judgment cuts and so on in a singleplayer game. It doesn't help that the gamepad barely has enough buttons for all the commands.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

I feel like my intelligence is being insulted every time I open this thread.

Well you ain't exactly batting a thousand either.

Oh wait, poo poo... you are!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Some epic posters on that list

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont understand why people get so mad about v in dmcv. hes not great but theres like 30 minutes total across the entire game where you have to play as him and his gameplay is amusing enough for that time if you poke at it a little bit. its basically just a combat-themed version of the platforming in 3 or the puzzles in 4 to me. i guess if youre comparing him to nero or dante yeah he sucks but i never really felt like he was trying to be a full character.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lobok posted:

Well you ain't exactly batting a thousand either.

Oh wait, poo poo... you are!

Quiet the list of bad apples.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Endorph posted:

i dont understand why people get so mad about v in dmcv. hes not great but theres like 30 minutes total across the entire game where you have to play as him and his gameplay is amusing enough for that time if you poke at it a little bit. its basically just a combat-themed version of the platforming in 3 or the puzzles in 4 to me. i guess if youre comparing him to nero or dante yeah he sucks but i never really felt like he was trying to be a full character.

You can make your monsters do wild poo poo while you read poetry, play air violin or conduct a phantom orchestra playing ride of the Valkyries. It's so good lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I went through the whole game without realizing there’s secret areas you can find by summoning Nightmare so that it will Kool-Aid Man through certain walls

Electromax
May 6, 2007
DMC4 was the worst aside from 2 (didn't play DMC reboot). Nero was ok, but you had to wait half the game to play as Dante and then it's just all the levels you just did but backwards. And they were not cool levels to revisit. I thought DMC5 was a huge improvement.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Aipsh posted:

Bad take. 5 was great.

Endorph posted:

Nah there are quite a few missions with him + DMC is meant to be replayed several times too. I didn’t hate V but wasn’t a fan either and would have liked the game more if he wasn’t in it probably.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The PS5 version of DMCV makes all my controllers make a concerning mechanical clicking kind of sound whenever the sword rev gimmick thing kicks in and it’s probably fine but I don’t like it.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

ShoogaSlim posted:

i agree

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

The PS5 version of DMCV makes all my controllers make a concerning mechanical clicking kind of sound whenever the sword rev gimmick thing kicks in and it’s probably fine but I don’t like it.

that’s from the adaptive triggers engaging

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anyone else have their Dualsense d-pad start to become really stiff and clicky? It's only like that right when I start using it--it starts to feel more normal after a few minutes, but then when I pick it up the next day it's all weird and stiff again. Wondering if it's something fixable or if I should consider buying a new one.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

that’s from the adaptive triggers engaging

Yeah I know, no other games do it though! What are you doing to my controllers capcom?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

padijun posted:

Hey if we're bitching about games insulting our intelligence with button prompts "Cinematic Dodge" from FF16 is one of the funniest . There's a popup explaining it in the middle of the fight, then it gives you a 10 second window to press r1. Who wants this?

They really tuned this around the replay on the higher difficulty - you spend your first run developing muscle memory based on the sounds / color everything changes as to which button to hit and if you should mash it or not, then on ff mode you don't get a button prompt at all and it's genuinely kind of hairy the first few times.
The idea behind training you and then switching it off was good, just the pacing of how that was implemented is not.