Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Mods? MODS? MODSSSS????

lol at you angrily reading this thread not posting until you find a reason to continue to miss the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Is there any translation of the lyrics? I didn't know it was custom written.

Also, given that cover picture it seems very strange that EVE being an android is supposed to be a surprise.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

lol at you angrily reading this thread not posting until you find a reason to continue to miss the point

If they didn't realize why posting spoilers for a game less than a few days old in a thread with people actively playing it is stupid, I expect any points to continue to elude them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Started on Transformers Devastation last night, on chapter 6 so far, so I am apparently just about finished with the game.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

ShoogaSlim posted:

lol half their posts in this thread are quite literary getting mad about them stellar blade spoilers and tags, havent seen this kind of poster for awhile. need to get my notes and consult the postiary

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol half their posts in this thread are quite literary getting mad about them stellar blade spoilers and tags, havent seen this kind of poster for awhile. need to get my notes and consult the postiary

And nobody has actually posted the really big spoiler yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got the space boobs game

good: shits on crypto a lot

bad: the cat quest

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

hyphz posted:

And nobody has actually posted the really big spoiler yet.

big badoinkas

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was shocked to learn that it was another game set in the PUBG expanded universe.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

hyphz posted:

Is there any translation of the lyrics? I didn't know it was custom written.

Not sure, probably. In cases like this I tend to just approach the game music as if it's NieR gibberish or Cocteau Twins, glossolalia that sounds dope.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Snitch claims Astrobot will release this year :woop:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You have Astrobot, it came free on your PS5

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Snitch claims Astrobot will release this year :woop:

Are they wasting it on VR2 though or will it be an actual game?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

stev posted:

Are they wasting it on VR2 though or will it be an actual game?

My guess is it will be a regular PS5 game with some added VR2 functionality, given the way things have gone in the last year.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Stellar Blade is good. I have been reading Adrian Tchaikovsky’s (author of children of time series, really amazing series) Shards of Earth novel. It is basically an identical set up of an all female warrior caste. Anyone that takes issue with depiction of a female warrior caste and their battle dress must’ve skipped out on the Marvel Wonder Woman movie in 2017 or any of its sequels. I digress.

The game is very good and I think I know why. The combat seems very fast, smooth, quick, and agile. I feel agile. It’s the first game since Sekiro that actually feels like Sekiro. I’ve played nearly every souls-like in the past few years and almost all of them really rely hard on restricting animation cancelling. Lies of P, Lords of the Fallen, Wu Long, etc.. you’re stuck in an animation and all of its follow up frames (which sometimes the player doesn’t even perceive) until they run their course. This makes the game harder, sure, but also slower and cumbersome, and less fun because even a tiny miss-timing of action can screw the player. And also, hammering dodge or block while nothing happens on the screen causes a frustrational dysphoria like no other. LotF is particularly bad about this as I think there’s like a .5sec worth of frames at the end of heavy weapon attacks where the character really does..nothing but shift their shoulders a bit but boy does it mess up the feeling of deflecting.

Stellar Blade does away with all of that. There isn’t even queuing from what I can tell, and you can cancel an attack into a block all you drat want. This is a pretty brave choice for a souls-like game but it fits the motif quite well. This isn’t supposed to be a pain in the rear end hyper challenge, it’s a bit challenging for maximal fun, fast, fluid, and intense.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

I mean, I use spoilers to be polite, but I really am skeptical if it’s meant to be a twist for the player. Obviously the characters don’t know, but the name Naytibes is literally just ”natives” in a Korean accent. I initially thought people online were making fun of the pronunciation until I saw that it was the official spelling/spoken the same in the English track.

That other dude was being kinda rude about the potential spoiler though.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 29, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blind Rasputin posted:

Stellar Blade does away with all of that. There isn’t even queuing from what I can tell, and you can cancel an attack into a block all you drat want.

this is the biggest change I noticed from the demo. the demo had huge commitment on combat animations with no canceling which made doing any combos besides just mashing square really not fun

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Stellar Blade is good. I have been reading Adrian Tchaikovsky’s (author of children of time series, really amazing series) Shards of Earth novel. It is basically an identical set up of an all female warrior caste. Anyone that takes issue with depiction of a female warrior caste and their battle dress must’ve skipped out on the Marvel Wonder Woman movie in 2017 or any of its sequels. I digress. \

This is a nice, multi-layered one, BR.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Augus posted:

this is the biggest change I noticed from the demo. the demo had huge commitment on combat animations with no canceling which made doing any combos besides just mashing square really not fun

Oh. That was like my biggest problem with the demo. I hope they patch the demo as well, then.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Stellar Blade does away with all of that. There isn’t even queuing from what I can tell, and you can cancel an attack into a block all you drat want. This is a pretty brave choice for a souls-like game but it fits the motif quite well. This isn’t supposed to be a pain in the rear end hyper challenge, it’s a bit challenging for maximal fun, fast, fluid, and intense.

I think this is why I've been enjoying Stellar Blade. I have a... somewhat adversarial relationship with Souls games. I played a lot of Dark Souls 1, even though I found it to be an anxiety inducing experience.

I tried some Dark Souls 2 and bounced of it. I just kinda don't like Souls games. I also find the system of dropping souls/runes when you die and forcing you to go back to the bloodstain to be incredibly annoying to a point that I just would rather not play at all.

That being said, Stellar Blade was hard for me at first because I'm not good at these action style games. Generally, I like a game where I can just mash buttons and and kill goblins by the hundreds (Dragon's Dogma 2 was great). I want some of the combat to be mindless. Stellar Blade seems tough but fair. It's snappy as hell too.

I get annoyed how it feels like Dark Souls/Elden Ring have gotten to the point that every fantasy action game is just doing that. Stellar Blade feels like Souls-lite in a way that I can get behind.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

the Marvel Wonder Woman movie

i can't tell if this is a joke or

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I watched a review of stellar blade and the character was wearing a one-piece swimsuit with a bunny tail for some of it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the characters are straight from Nier but slightly less horny.

Edit: game is good though

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lol, it is not less horny than nier. It is one of the very few AAA games to exceed Nier.

ShoogaSlim posted:

i can't tell if this is a joke or

It’s BP. Of course it is.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Listen let's not split horny hairs.

On a serious note I got Stellar Blade cause the demo was pretty good, and for a Souls/Nioh style of game the combat seemed very tight and fun but goddamn if the s.f. environments aren't just totally awesome - really enjoying just exploring everything. Worst part so far was the dead cat quest, like come on I did not need that.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is Dragon Dogma 2 worth finishing? I haven’t been to Battahl yet but I got kinda bored and busy with life and haven’t touch it since release week.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked it a lot but if you are bored, no I guess?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Arrowhead would be absolute idiots to get acquired after successfully launching HD2, they are sitting on a goldmine of good will. They don't own the license but their legacy is totally secure at this point, and I'm sure autonomy looks way better than whatever layoffs Sony's been doing to all its most coveted studios. Shiftup probably won't get acquired because of weird backroom financial agreements between Japan and S. Korea, but my bet is Sony invests heavily in their corporate shares.

I mean they won't lose any goodwill by joining Sony? Since they make multiplayer games their games will get PC releases which is good enough.

Sony did do layoffs like every other tech company that overhired. Naughty Dog only had layoffs because they canceled Factions, what do you want them to do with the extra devs when they won't have a multiplayer game? Insomniac since joining Sony have been amazing, and ya they got layoffs too but their still way above their employee count since joining Sony.

You could argue the opposite that partnerning with Sony helped Arrowhead focus on the game and get a huge development cycle , 9 years since HD1, many devs with their success don't get that type of time. While Magicka/HD1 were successful it wasn't like a Hollow Knight or something. Maintaining a studio of 100 people in a place as expensive as Sweden is probably not easy.

Anyway if they stay independant good for them, as long as they get to do wha tthey like but so far their partnership with Sony has been great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
It's entirely up to them as to whether they want to take a second huge financial win after HD2 runs it's course by selling or continuing as is.

I wouldn't bother selling tbh (I am not tired from gamedev life though), they've proven they can make good products and obviously draw power from doing their own thing. They won't have any issues signing their next game as a Sony exclusive and PC title.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Calidus posted:

Is Dragon Dogma 2 worth finishing? I haven’t been to Battahl yet but I got kinda bored and busy with life and haven’t touch it since release week.

Battahl will have a different visual look and there’s a greater density of big monsters, but otherwise not much will change. A lot of repeated encounters and samey caves. So, probably not.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Mods? MODS? MODSSSS????

my god you whiny dickhead you got a sixer for being an rear end in a top hat and this is how you're gonna be about it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

HopperUK posted:

my god you whiny dickhead you got a sixer for being an rear end in a top hat and this is how you're gonna be about it

Sixer grudges are the absolute best ones, you should cherish this.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

stellar blade is awesome, please make a thread.. someone...

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Wait I thought Stellar Blade was a Character Action Game, not a Sekiro-alike?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No, Another Crab’s Treasure is the Sekiro-like

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

HopperUK posted:

Dewgy posted:

Sixer grudges are the absolute best ones, you should cherish this.

the sixer is the least severe of their probes. the rap sheet is boggling.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Unlucky7 posted:

Everyone thought so until the demo hit. It’s a lot closer to Souls/Sekiro, but landing hits/parries charges ult attacks with flashy animations. Those animations made it look a bit more CAG-ish in trailers than it actually is.

It’s a fair bit easier than any of the big Soulslikes, but it has that pace/movement style. I think if you took Nioh 2, removed the stances and ki pulse, and played the whole thing at half-speed, you'd be pretty close to SB's combat. You have equivalents for everything else and even nearly identical button binding for special abilities.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 29, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Unlucky7 posted:

it’s a bit of both

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished Transformers Devastation tonight, it was okay! I wish it had more different environments, but I like the character selection you get, different weapons, and combat. What I really want is a Transformers game that is based on the 1986 movie, that is one of my favorite films ever.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kefa posted:

stellar blade is awesome, please make a thread.. someone...

Yeah, it owns