Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

big nipples big life posted:

nice, I'm addicted to KLANG

:crackping:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Schubalts posted:

Midnight, the post-story difficulty, is just horsehit unbalanced in the enemy's favor. It exacerbates every little problem with the enemy mechanics and AI, like some midnight bosses literally spamming 20hit combos. It can take the game from you having options for how to deal with bosses to "use every stat buff and parry everything or just die". If they hadn't locked the actual NPCs' outfits (like Sana's cute kimono) behind midnight, I wouldn't be bothering beyond doing one mission for the trophy.

Wow, I didn't know that. I was wrong, Team Ninja did solve end-game loot.

But yeah, I hope they ease that difficulty a bit. They've been tweaking everything with patches so I hold out hope they'll make that jump more gentle than being a sheer cliff.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I didnt mind higher difficulties in Nioh but that's because the combat was a lot more Soulsy and you are kinda expected to dance around the enemy until they finally die.

In Ronin your options are a lot more limited so you are eating poo poo until you finally memorize that annoying combo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

depraved sinners and hell-bound reprobates

mammals for ya

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Ugh, I hate open world and what it’s doing to my favourites genres

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kefa posted:

Stellar Blade being mostly on-rails with a little bit of discovery on the side is refreshing coming off of RotR’s giant maps.

Just tell me where to point this shiny rear end and I’ll go there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Stellar Blade being mostly on-rails with a little bit of discovery on the side is refreshing coming off of RotR’s giant maps.

Does she run around backwards?

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Yeah, I’m loving it. I wouldn’t call it on rails though. It has open areas with lots of stuff to do and explore. And even the starting levels don’t feel very linear as they have lots of secrets and hidden little areas.

Honestly my favourite type of world format. Both Nier games and DS1 are the only other games that did it that come to mind right now.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Waltzing Along posted:

Ah, it’s an SotN-like.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Waltzing Along posted:

lol no, but I found when talking to an npc that’s not a cutscene you can slowly back away while facing them, pretending to listen to their bullshit. A skill every woman must learn.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol no, but I found when talking to an npc that’s not a cutscene you can slowly back away while facing them, pretending to listen to their bullshit. A skill every woman must learn.

lol

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kefa posted:

Fair but hear me out on this one; cat collecting, and the open world is a lot more respectful of your time compared to other open world games like this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's also compartmentalized with the map being broken up into areas that keeps track of the stuff you can do in them.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Does the character movement and general gameplay in Rise of Ronin feel similar to Wo Long?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Man, it's probably a huge waste of money and dev time but they should really consider patching the Stellar Blade demo up to the day one patch. The demo had basically convinced me that the game wasn't for me but you folks were so effusive about it I bought it anyway and the patch basically fixed all my issues with the parry and dodge timing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Does the character movement and general gameplay in Rise of Ronin feel similar to Wo Long?

Yeah it feels almost the same. It's Niohlong open world with new parry and stance mechanics.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Me before getting a PS5: haha PS5 has no game

Me now: Putting several PS5 games On The List after the two I have

What happened

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Kefa posted:

Yeah, I’m loving it. I wouldn’t call it on rails though. It has open areas with lots of stuff to do and explore. And even the starting levels don’t feel very linear as they have lots of secrets and hidden little areas.

Honestly my favourite type of world format. Both Nier games and DS1 are the only other games that did it that come to mind right now.

Jedi Survivor is like this for me. Just enough open area to have a lot of secrets if you go looking.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Survivor is my personal favorite execution of the metrodvania hub + semi linear missions format.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kefa posted:

Just got to a big hub area lol. Still, much more manageable so far than most open world games. could use the rocket shoes from Ratchet and Clank.

One thing i forgot to mention was how smooth it plays. I’m sure it’s not full 4k but it’s running 60fps consistently on the balanced graphics mode which is very appreciated.

Just found there are no motion controls for shooting. :mad:

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 1, 2024

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

JBP posted:

Yeah it feels almost the same. It's Niohlong open world with new parry and stance mechanics.

hmm. Wo Long felt like it was running at 1.5x speed since I wasn’t used to such a fast game, but an open world might fix my main complaint. The levels were fairly uninteresting.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

One thing i forgot to mention was how smooth it plays. I’m sure it’s not full 4k but it’s running 60fps consistently on the balanced graphics mode which is very appreciated.

Performance mode is 1440p with very clean upscale to 4K. So balanced is probably pretty close to true 4K.

I was thinking about how SB is running the same iteration of Unreal as Survivor and FF7R2 and has similar scale free roaming zones. But where those games either cut major corners visually (FF7R2) or had dire performance problems at launch (J:S), SB launched with a very attractive and stable 60fps mode while maintaining asset and lighting fidelity. Fairly impressive for a smaller studio that’s new to console development.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfONACff3hI

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kinda a lot of parallels between Survivor and SB now that I think about it. Two free roam areas of similar size, one of which is rocky canyons and the second is open desert. I think the same number of linear missions also (not sure about SB’s full count). And of course the platforming mechanics, combat systems, and skill trees are similar too.

I don’t mind if this is becoming a new formula, it’s a pretty good and well paced approach that allows for a lot of diversity in gameplay.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEgoobxPK-Q&t=488s

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

"ok i just realized that thing on the right is what's talking"

about the vtuber lolol

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuoFsi2iIi0

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ag7N_lhDSM

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jumpscared by an austrian chicken

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tremendously cursed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUcJFVmAXmg

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Where are these loving cactuars!!1!!!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I SAW THE THING I RECOGNIZED AND I CLAPPED.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
You know, I don't think it was until FF7 Rebirth that I realized that it's a "cactuar" and not "cactaur". I've been playing FF games since 1994 (and the term 'cactuar' has probably been voiced since then, too)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bugblatter posted:

Performance mode is 1440p with very clean upscale to 4K. So balanced is probably pretty close to true 4K.

I was thinking about how SB is running the same iteration of Unreal as Survivor and FF7R2 and has similar scale free roaming zones. But where those games either cut major corners visually (FF7R2) or had dire performance problems at launch (J:S), SB launched with a very attractive and stable 60fps mode while maintaining asset and lighting fidelity. Fairly impressive for a smaller studio that’s new to console development.

If Stellar Blade is more linear than Re2 and Survivor, that's probably a big part of it. Keeping to more contained levels allows a bit more visual focus than larger open areas like FF7 and Jedi.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Waffleman_ posted:

Me before getting a PS5: haha PS5 has no game

Me now: Putting several PS5 games On The List after the two I have

What happened

PS5 stays winning

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Got the companion cards and now... now oh my its.. its final fantasy 7: resteller blade

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

JBP posted:

Do wo long and rotr have the same "bury you under loot you have to sort for .2% boosts" system as nioh?

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

Do wo long and rotr have the same "bury you under loot you have to sort for .2% boosts" system as nioh?

Yes but it is irrelevent. If you check in once every couple hours to make sure you're not hopelessly behind the curve you'll be fine. Also it has full transmog, as the gods intended. But the gear bonuses really don't matter. Talking about Rise here but I irc it's the same with Wo Long.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Waffleman_ posted:

If Stellar Blade is more linear than Re2 and Survivor, that's probably a big part of it. Keeping to more contained levels allows a bit more visual focus than larger open areas like FF7 and Jedi.

It's got big open levels, but it will also restrict your path to funnel you in certain areas. The first area, which is an abandoned city, has a specific route you take, but also has incentives to go off the path and explore every nook and cranny (and to come back later). The second is much, much more physically open, as it's a craggy desert with canyons and caves. It's very similar to FF7R and Jedi's style of level design, rather than the full open world of Ubisoft games or Ronin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, two of SB's areas are "real" open zones with a lot of acreage, almost completely free movement, discoverable encounters, NPC encampments, self-contained sidequests, and so on. The rest are more linear areas with a single path to follow but also shortcuts for backtracking and optional detours, some of which can be pretty substantial.