Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Animal Well may technically be a metroidvania as it has a map and collectible abilities but it's much more focused on solving puzzles and I don't think it has any traditional combat.

Closest thing I can think of are those archaic 8bit home computer platform games like Manic Miner where the game was one big connected world but each screen was its own little mini puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Waltzing Along posted:

Animal Well is fantastic. Only played about 20 mins, but multiple "i've never seen that before" has me totally sold.

Yeah, I feel it's less of a metroidvania and more of a run from poo poo and try to be clever and enjoy all the quirky noises.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Animal Well + Balatro on the psn sub is good deal. Hope the balatro guy is getting paid

Balatro is on PS Plus now? For Animal Well is a first game so it makes sense to get a big chunk of money from Sony for what could be a game that would sell 5 copies otherwise. Localthunk on the other hand, that Ps plus payment is probably pocket change to what he already made

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I feel it's less of a metroidvania and more of a run from poo poo and try to be clever and enjoy all the quirky noises.

I believe the game is way different, but that's a pretty solid description of Metroid Dread you just wrote.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

There's no way Animal Well would sell poorly, what with Dunkey's audience of 7+ million

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

I believe the game is way different, but that's a pretty solid description of Metroid Dread you just wrote.

It's honestly more like Celeste than Metroid or Castlevania

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

There's no way Animal Well would sell poorly, what with Dunkey's audience of 7+ million

Yeah in this case I think that may actually harm potential profit, but it was guaranteed money so I can hardly blame them

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think the majority of sales were always going to be on steam and switch, so the guaranteed profit on PS, which will also build hype for sales on the previously mentioned platforms, is probably a good choice.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Animal Well is SO GOOD

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah this game rules.

But also it’s 1000% a metriod style game. A good one.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Aipsh posted:

Balatro is on PS Plus now? For Animal Well is a first game so it makes sense to get a big chunk of money from Sony for what could be a game that would sell 5 copies otherwise. Localthunk on the other hand, that Ps plus payment is probably pocket change to what he already made

Yeah I got excited when someone said it's on PS+ but it's only a 1 hour trial.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

woops. I say the yellow plus symbol and assumed. I hadn’t checked it cos I had already bought it soz!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MechaSeinfeld posted:

woops. I say the yellow plus symbol and assumed. I hadn’t checked it cos I had already bought it soz!

:milk:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yoooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTwfBV5Fjkg

Was pretty sloppy but I got it, my main problem was that the missiles I brought didn't track as hard as I would've liked and the laser lance, while great, was mainly the thing getting me staggers, so I couldn't really capitalize on them as well as I would've liked with my weaker armaments. Still took me like two dozen tries or something like that.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Arist posted:

yoooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTwfBV5Fjkg

Was pretty sloppy but I got it, my main problem was that the missiles I brought didn't track as hard as I would've liked and the laser lance, while great, was mainly the thing getting me staggers, so I couldn't really capitalize on them as well as I would've liked with my weaker armaments. Still took me like two dozen tries or something like that.

Good now do it no weapons punching only

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aipsh posted:

Good now do it no weapons punching only

I did watch a video of a guy doing that last night, good lord

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
NICE Arist. I still don’t know how I pulled that fight off tbh. Even watching my video back feels like luck

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Just bought crow country, animal well is dled and installed, reinstalled cyberpunk 2077 to continue with that 2.1 playthrough, 75 hours and still not up to pl yet and ive been playing longer than the release/ps4 version. Ff7 rebirth is post gold saucer, kinda felt weird at the samey open world stuff that opened up once again so i decided a little break (cyberpunk) but the whole costa to post gold saucer was fantastic. I could just say gently caress it and go to gongaga but i also wanna gently caress around, just maybe feeling the open world sameyness of the proto/cystals/towers/chadleysbullshit that it brings up in each area. Still better than most tho. But when it does those set piece ff7 wandering through places like thr corel mountains, hmmhm! Good poo poo

Got tetris effect installed for when im too tired and wanna vibe out and ffs 1 through to 12 installed but the back end ones are the extra versions and i dont think ill get to them by the 21st lol wonder if they will still work if i keep em installed...

Oh drat almost june huh oooohhhhh the elden ring and ff14 expasions are looming and notE3 is about to start.... :negative:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

Got tetris effect installed for when im too tired and wanna vibe out and ffs 1 through to 12 installed but the back end ones are the extra versions and i dont think ill get to them by the 21st lol wonder if they will still work if i keep em installed...

Tetris Effect is a top tier I'm bored of everything else game, especially versus mode. Shame there's not a lot of people who play it, I haven't been able to play the boss mode in like two years

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Aipsh posted:

Tetris Effect is a top tier I'm bored of everything else game, especially versus mode. Shame there's not a lot of people who play it, I haven't been able to play the boss mode in like two years

Boss mode? All ive done so far is slowly work through journey mode and do a :eyepop: when the speed hits 11

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tetris Effect in VR is a loving trip and a half

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Animal Well reminds me a lot more of VVVVVV than it does a Metroidvania tbh

And also it loving rules. I think I’m about 3/4 of the way through the main game, really zooming through it.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

Boss mode? All ive done so far is slowly work through journey mode and do a :eyepop: when the speed hits 11

Its in multiplayer where you and two others play against a boss and some really trippy poo poo happens like all your boards connect for a huge gently caress you combo and giant tetrominos. It’s cool! But also nobody plays it anymore because all the die hards are playing Tetris 99 now

haveblue posted:

Tetris Effect in VR is a loving trip and a half

Id love to get it but it’s £35 on top of…a game I’ve already bought??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Animal Well reminds me a lot more of VVVVVV than it does a Metroidvania tbh

And also it loving rules. I think I’m about 3/4 of the way through the main game, really zooming through it.

Tunic and Fez are other comparisons I'd make. It just doesn't feel like Metroid or Castlevania to me, other than people see the design language of a 2D map and skip straight to that

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Aipsh posted:

Its in multiplayer where you and two others play against a boss and some really trippy poo poo happens like all your boards connect for a huge gently caress you combo and giant tetrominos. It’s cool! But also nobody plays it anymore because all the die hards are playing Tetris 99 now

Id love to get it but it’s £35 on top of…a game I’ve already bought??

The vr mode comes free with it doesnt it? At leaat i got the vr symbol on the one i dled from ps+... boss mode sounds sick. T99 does rule tbf, been awhile since i turned the switch on tho

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah Tetris Effect VR isn’t a separate game at all. If you have TE you have its VR mode.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Tunic and Fez are other comparisons I'd make. It just doesn't feel like Metroid or Castlevania to me, other than people see the design language of a 2D map and skip straight to that
It's that as well as new abilities effectively being keys to access what you couldn't in past areas. You get something new and think oh, I should check out a, b and c from earlier.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does Tetris Effect work in PSVR2? My only knock against the game was the PSVR1 resolution

Edit: apparently it does! One more reason to get PSVR2 if there’s ever a price drop

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 10, 2024

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Someone a while back mentioned a "Walmart Trick" regarding a DualSense controller with stick drift. Well, one of my DualSense controllers has stick drift now. I considered opening up and trying to clean the contacts or whatever but it seems difficult. So... I wanted to ask about the trick...

Is it buying a new controller and returning my old one in the new one's packaging later? Does it have to be Walmart or can I do it at Target? Should I feel bad if I do this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

apophenium posted:

Is it buying a new controller and returning my old one in the new one's packaging later? Does it have to be Walmart or can I do it at Target?

It should work anywhere that sells dual senses and has a no-questions-asked return policy

quote:

Should I feel bad if I do this?

How badly do you feel about moving the time cost of an RMA off to a huge faceless corporation's staff without informing them? It is technically deceiving the employees handling your return and technically breaking store policy by obtaining a refund under false pretenses. You will almost certainly not get caught and penalized so it's an entirely internal moral decision

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
gently caress corps and any time you can steal from them, you should steal from them. And if you see someone stealing from a corp, no you didn't.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hey I know you guys are probably enjoying Animal Well but here's some upcoming 13th May

Athenian Rhapsody (PS5, PS4)
Fabledom (PS5)
The Land Beneath Us (PS5)

14th May

Neptunia Game Maker Revolution (PS5, PS4)
Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengeance of the Slayer(PS5, PS4)

15th May

Electronics Puzzle Lab (PS5, PS4)
Please Fix the Road (PS5, PS4)
PO'ed Definitive Edition (PS5, PS4)
Read Only Memories Neurodriver (PS5)
Braid Anniversary Edition (PS5, PS4)

Someone make with the gifs! (BP for braid you should just do a gif of Jonathan blow in a dark room crying about soulja boy)

https://youtu.be/gWqnz-7iQbY?si=bZk843lZRjRxSM_S

Ineffiable fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 10, 2024

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If I buy a physical copy of an EU game I can't buy any DLC for it on the US store, is that correct?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

big nipples big life posted:

If I buy a physical copy of an EU game I can't buy any DLC for it on the US store, is that correct?

Dlc must match the region of the disc. You are allowed to make a US account, and buy the dlc. It would be usable there. The exception is dlc that's actually bound to the account, think stuff like cosmetics or in game currency.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

The vr mode comes free with it doesnt it? At leaat i got the vr symbol on the one i dled from ps+... boss mode sounds sick. T99 does rule tbf, been awhile since i turned the switch on tho

The PSVR1 one mode is free, if you bought Tetris effect on the PS4 you need to buy the PS5 version at full price to get the PSVR2 version - it sucks. Unless I’m completely wrong and someone can please correct me

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Aipsh posted:

The PSVR1 one mode is free, if you bought Tetris effect on the PS4 you need to buy the PS5 version at full price to get the PSVR2 version - it sucks. Unless I’m completely wrong and someone can please correct me

It was an £8 upgrade for me, same as Rez

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like it's lacking some polish and nuance in some areas for sure, but is it weird to say that Stellar Blade is probably some of my favorite melee combat in games? Like, it captures what I like about multiple different games in a way that really works imo. The heft of it feels very Souls like. Hitting enemies feels weighty and impactful. But then it's got some understated platinum flashiness thrown in. The combos are easy to remember and look cool. it just feels very good. The visceral element of Souls mixed with some fancier poo poo. The only close comparison I can think of is new God of War but frankly I like SB combat better. Even if on paper GOW is probably better and more refined.

I do have a few gripes though. Sometimes the parry or dodge timing just feels kind of weird and frustrating but it's not bad enough to piss me off really. usually it turns out to be user error. But sometimes there will be some wad of monster just slamming me around and I'm like "where the gently caress is the parry/dodge window on this?" Also the dodge move just sucks, even when you get the double dodge it feels so anemic, there's like no iframes. It's almost just there to get a perfect dodge cause otherwise your are just getting hit. Just let me flip around in a satisfying way. none of this take one step to the side poo poo .

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah there should have been a cheaper upgrade option for Tetris Effect PS4 > PS5.

Unrelated, it still tickles me that PO’d Remastered exists. Best April Fool’s thing this year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aipsh posted:

This is wrong. It's a $10 upgrade. Might even be 5 I cant remember, but I play the PS5 version off a PS4 disc version and I def didn't rebuy the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like it's lacking some polish and nuance in some areas for sure, but is it weird to say that Stellar Blade is probably some of my favorite melee combat in games? Like, it captures what I like about multiple different games in a way that really works imo. The heft of it feels very Souls like. Hitting enemies feels weighty and impactful. But then it's got some understated platinum flashiness thrown in. The combos are easy to remember and look cool. it just feels very good. The visceral element of Souls mixed with some fancier poo poo. The only close comparison I can think of is new God of War but frankly I like SB combat better. Even if on paper GOW is probably better and more refined.

I do have a few gripes though. Sometimes the parry or dodge timing just feels kind of weird and frustrating but it's not bad enough to piss me off really. usually it turns out to be user error. But sometimes there will be some wad of monster just slamming me around and I'm like "where the gently caress is the parry/dodge window on this?" Also the dodge move just sucks, even when you get the double dodge it feels so anemic, there's like no iframes. It's almost just there to get a perfect dodge cause otherwise your are just getting hit. Just let me flip around in a satisfying way. none of this take one step to the side poo poo .

the KLANG! coming through the controller speaker just adds to it, parrying a fast combo just feels amazing.