Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FlamingLiberal posted:

San Andreas has a few missions that had lovely controls that were all flying-related

The San Fierro toy plane missions being the most infamous
I was surprised that I completed the RC plane missions on the first try this time, though yeah, the controls were awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody wants this it sucked bad

Nah man it's fine aiming is on the left joystick and Y-axis is permanently inverted this is totally fine.

Best part of that game was fully upgrading Akiyama into an absolute zombie murder machine.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Being able to do the dumb RC plane mission on a PS2 launch copy was my one special skill back in the day.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Morpheus posted:

Nah man it's fine aiming is on the left joystick and Y-axis is permanently inverted this is totally fine.

Best part of that game was fully upgrading Akiyama into an absolute zombie murder machine.

They should just do a double pack of the PSP games if they’re going to bother releasing clunky games nobody wants to play.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

In my late 20s and early 30s I was like whoa titties that's cringe but now I'm old and I understand my time on earth is finite so let me see em jiggle

this is the way

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

should I play Kiwami 1 after I beat Disco Elysium? i have the strongest yakuza fever right now. absolutely raging intensity inside of me.

Casnorf posted:

...but the future refused to change

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

may this sacrifice grant us new eyes

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Just reserve the whole first page bp

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nobody wants this it sucked bad

I want it because it owns. And, I will die on this hill, it’s canon. Prove me wrong!!!

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Being able to do the dumb RC plane mission on a PS2 launch copy was my one special skill back in the day.

Did they change that mission in later PS2 copies?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Is Yakuza Like a Dragon a good starting point for that series? Or is it too much of a spin-off to be a good intro? I’ve been interested in that series for a while but I have no idea where to start at this point, and Ishin looks rad so I’d like to get at least one Yakuza game under my belt before I pick that up.

0 or LAD are both great to start with imho

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Did they change that mission in later PS2 copies?

Yeah there are later versions with that fixed plus the leftover hot coffee stuff removed etc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Does anyone know when the CoD Modern Warfare 2 beta will be available for download? The first (and PlayStation exclusive) beta weekend is supposed to start on Friday. I pre-ordered a while back. I just want to have enough time to download it before Friday in case it's huge.

e: nvm! I just checked and it's available to download now :) 25.31 GB

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 14, 2022

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Is Yakuza Like a Dragon a good starting point for that series? Or is it too much of a spin-off to be a good intro? I’ve been interested in that series for a while but I have no idea where to start at this point, and Ishin looks rad so I’d like to get at least one Yakuza game under my belt before I pick that up.

I’d start with 0 to be honest. While Yakuza LAD is a decent start point in that it pretty nicely introduces you to the world and tone of the series, you miss out on a ton of backstory that was established in the prior seven games, and even get some of it spoiled for you.

Judgment also wouldn’t be a bad start point either if you want to play something more modern, but it’s not quite up to Y0’s level of being amazing. Lost Judgment has some spoilers for Y7 in it though, so beware the sequel if you care about that kind of thing.

Full canon order, imo:

0, K1, K2, 3, 4, Dead Souls, 5, 6, Judgment, LaD, Lost Judgment.

You can skip Dead Souls if you don’t have a PS3 / are a coward, but you’ll probably know by the time you get there if you want to play a janky zombie side game or not. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

should I play Kiwami 1 after I beat Disco Elysium? i have the strongest yakuza fever right now. absolutely raging intensity inside of me.

It's a remake of a 2005 game so the sidequest and story quality might give you a little whiplash.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Yeah sure. You're probably gonna be confused on who a lot of people are but within 4 minutes of them being on screen you'll be able to figure out 'Oh, that guy's important, that one's just an underling, this guy will show up in a sidequest later'

I've played everything but the non-remade stuff and I still can't keep track of every Yakuza family aside from the people in 0 and 1. Once you bring in the eternal grudge Secret Koreans I'm totally lost.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 14, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I agree that starting with 0 is the best choice, but starting with YLAD or Judgment is fine too. They're all pretty good at easing you into the setting without any confusing major callbacks.

My route through the series so far is Y0 -> YK1 -> YK2 -> Judgment -> Y3 -> Y4 -> YLAD -> LJ -> Y5 and the spoilers you mentioned are so minor and vague that they're really not going to ruin anyone's good time. Like, I've yet to play Y6 but from context gleaned in YLAD I know Kiryu is in hiding and a Korean guy dies but both of those things happen a lot throughout the series so its not really a big deal :shrug:

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Sakurazuka posted:

Clap Hanz just released a new golf game, for Switch & mobile

Ah, the excuse to ragequit Sekiro for the first time that I was looking for.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can skip Dead Souls if you have the critical thinking ability to recognise an absolutely dogshit video game.

It’s like they made so many incredible games all in a row they needed to get one absolute turd curled out to flush away all the bad stuff they managed to avoid putting into their other titles.

The gacha game functions in exactly the same way for the games they’ve released after.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I have never felt compelled to play Dead Souls but they put a House of the Dead style zombie arcade shooter in both Judgment games that was pretty fun so I feel like i got the gist

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do downloads pause or go slower when you're running a game on PS5? IIRC that's how it works on Xbox.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morpheus posted:

As a Y axis inverter I approve of this restriction.

Also Yakuza 0 is the best start, it's one of those great prequels that makes the stories of the sequels better. Y1 is a much better game if you played Y0. You get to know way more about Kiryu and Nishki's relation, even upto Y4, there is things in Y0 that tie up to that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
watching skill up’s forspoken preview and I actually really like the combat graphics and environmental design (that huge stone arch is a lovely piece of scenery), but his evasiveness about anything that involves plot or dialogue is ominous and the gameplay itself looks an awful lot like open world icon hunting

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oxxidation posted:

watching skill up’s forspoken preview and I actually really like the combat graphics and environmental design (that huge stone arch is a lovely piece of scenery), but his evasiveness about anything that involves plot or dialogue is ominous and the gameplay itself looks an awful lot like open world icon hunting

His evasiveness? He didn't have any plot or dialogue to experience, unless you mean the talking cuff, which he mentions as being annoying as hell.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

I haven't watched the whole video, but early on he mentions he's playing a special press build which has no story content (which might also be a bad sign in and of itself)

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I wonder if the talking cuff will make off-the-cuff remarks

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is it sassy or droll or what

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Everyone always goes full twee or British butler or Whedon with talking magical swords and bracelets and such but has anyone ever tried going Werner Herzog with it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All Dead Souls needs to be decent is a control revamp and even without it was worth it for Majima with a shotgun

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Everyone always goes full twee or British butler or Whedon with talking magical swords and bracelets and such but has anyone ever tried going Werner Herzog with it

Make the cuff hammy like whoever voiced SOTN Dracula in the prologue.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Lotta shade being thrown at Gogol's magnum opus itt

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

You don't even have to get him in a recording booth. Just have these play in the background constantly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pY-0JfEdLY

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Halo permanently made me inverted cause I didnt know you could change t.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wolfsheim posted:

Jim Cummings hamming it up as the Terror Mask in the otherwise completely-unmemorable Splatterhouse reboot was the only thing about that game that was sort of fun.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Rageaholic posted:

Does anyone know when the CoD Modern Warfare 2 beta will be available for download? The first (and PlayStation exclusive) beta weekend is supposed to start on Friday. I pre-ordered a while back. I just want to have enough time to download it before Friday in case it's huge.

e: nvm! I just checked and it's available to download now :) 25.31 GB

Wait, Sony gets a timed exclusive on CoD content, while arguing MS shouldn’t be allowed to have exclusivity?

lolol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Almost as if a timed exclusive for some inconsequential content is different to permanent exclusivity for an entire franchise!

Weird!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Almost as if a timed exclusive for some inconsequential content is different to permanent exclusivity for an entire franchise!

Weird!

It’s really not when you consider how many units are sold the first weeks after release. That exclusive toe dip is a big deal.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My dude we are like 100 calladoodys deep either you’re buying it right away on the platform you always buy it on because that’s where you and your friends have played the last 99 or you’re probably just not buying it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i buy them on sale or second hand. Never new. don’t care about the online

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's p much the only game I buy annually. I've been doing this for several years, and several times I've been pretty disappointed. The 2019 Modern Warfare kicked rear end, though, so I'm hoping this sequel will too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s gonna be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*looks up from switch* you can’t even be a squid in cod