Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Arist posted:

it's tuesday, gow should be out but it's not because it's wednesday for some drat reason

i hate this, i woke up today thinking it was out today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

ugh just release already GoW, i want to brutally rip apart norse gods while bickering with my teenage son

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

GoW slaps so far, 1.5 hrs in. optimizing for performance on a new OLED with VRR is incredible.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

I think the hdmi port on my PS5 is shot and I don't know what to do! Periodically the screen and the sound both just cut out, for like a good few seconds, before coming back again. This can happen every five minutes, two minutes or thirty seconds, depending on the session. I also get weird green flicking and screen tearing. Resetting the console sometimes makes the issue go away for a bit.

I've tried different cables, different ports on my TV, and changing the 4k transfer rate to -1 and - 2, and none of them make any difference. I'm genuinely upset about this cos I love my PS5 and I'm really not in a position right now to afford a new one.

Any tips, beloved goons?

Edit : there are actually a bunch of companies in the UK who'll replace the port for you for about £80, so it's not the end of the world. Still sucks though, given that the console basically hasn't moved since I bought it 18 months ago.

did you plug it into a monitor or lower end tv before plugging it back into the tv its on now?

also seconding the TCL question, they tend to flicker a lot

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

bows1 posted:

GoW hasn’t really grabbed me. Seems to be exactly the same as the original, with the r3 finisher not working as well. I’m enjoying it fine enough but it’s not a cant-put-down experience

i felt similarly and then the second time you get to solo as a non Kratos character it started hooking me. like its obviously a good game but i wasn't totally locked in until they hit certain story beats and dope sequences

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Casnorf posted:

There's a meme floating around that talks about the differences in storytelling: Ogre Battle enemies are people, with lives and stories that you probably just ended. Final Fantasy enemies are caricatures, and Fire Emblem enemies are stick figures.

if you do fire emblem wrong the enemies are your besties you didn't take to enough lunches

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

also ya'll have convinced me to try tactics ogre after dad of war

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

i dont mind the hints in dad of war 2 but i do mind that it doesn't give me a prompt to make kratos bitch at them.

boy/mimir "hey try throwing the axe at the red barrel"

screen prompt "square to tell them off"

kratos: "i will throw you at the red barrel if you do not stop talking"

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

i have issues with ragnarok's script but that one line from kratos (minor spoiler, it's in the trailers) "Death can have me when it earns me" is the rawest thing anyone's said in this entire franchise

yea, this ruled

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

The only VO that bothers me in GoWR is TAG THIS Faye. The way she over pronunciates everything slowly drives me crazy. Idk how to describe it, she just hits every syllable like she’s a school teacher.

Even better when she’s doing it with a beak causes she’s a gd bird lol

thanks for the big rear end spoiler not being tagged here.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah. The first instance is the worst but the later ones are never great either. He’s the least interesting cast member and you can basically R1 spam through every fight in those segments even on harder difficulty levels.

Thinking about doing those stretches again really puts me off the idea of repeat playthroughs.

honestly didn't mind the first few instances but it is absolutely starting to wear on me. its just straight up not as fun as Kratos and the more the game forces me to be not kratos the more clear it becomes. not to mention i do not have whatever empathy bone is needed to care about a teenager being whiny whereas a world weary badass stoic grappling with becoming a better man? gently caress yea

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Nov 15, 2022

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

*spartacus-ishly*

I liked the camera

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Twibbit posted:

*spartanly*
the camera is fine boy.

i need a nodding :kratos: for this

also to the whole "people seem to hate gow2" post form earlier. ragnorok is incredible, I'm just nit picking bc its so drat good I'm left thinking about the few things that detract from it. same thing happened with elden ring (altho ragnarok is not nearly so ground breaking) where it was a fantastic game and people would point out the one or two things that aren't great. it was my default choice in the game awards voting outside of giving elden ring the nod for game of the year.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 15, 2022

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Casnorf posted:

its easier to nitpick than suffer the indignity of not being able to play at work like i can with tactics goatgre

true.

god bless games you can play at work, looking at you vampire survivors

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

i must be near the end if ya'll just finished...just checked and yea like 3 missions left

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

god drat ragnarok sticks the landing. what an incredible game.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

isn't Pentiment a Josh Sawyer game? that dude has earned my willingness to buy anything he makes especially original work

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Im glad you liked it cause its going to continue to be in every sony game forever

i mean they pretty clearly use the climbing and shimmying mechanics to trigger conversations and quiet character moments that won't be interrupted. so long as it looks good and its not overused i don't mind it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Nuts and Gum posted:

I want to ask the devs over and Sony why they choose to gimp really cool traversal with stupid low energy landings.

In both H:FW and GoWR you can use a rope or weapon to quickly whip yourself up to a ledge. But then the character makes it, and they just climb up normally and then stand there. Why doesn’t Kratos or Aloy use that momentum to flip over the edge in one movement? It would look and feel so much more fluid.

It almost as if it’s a legacy hdd / loading problem or something, cause it seems so counterintuitive to me.

both of those games also had to be released on the ps4 so maybe that's it

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

haveblue posted:

There are also petrified ones all over the world, I’m almost afraid to ask if they ever wake up

its optional, but yes

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

i have very little faith in this. they should go the witcher route and just kinda lean into some of the goofier bits

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I don't think it's just goons responding badly to the Suicide Squad game, I'm seeing a lot of grumbling even from spots that are normally diplomatic, impartial, or even outright fonts of positivity. I know Babylon's Fall was a low key disaster, and Avenger's didn't fare too well despite getting traction and being decent (though Square dropping it was also a huge deal, maybe you could say that Avengers and GotG both got caught in the middle of a messy breakup), and we even had all those Live Service closures last month that looked like major impending bad news for the model despite many of them being sorta niche.

But it feels like none of those are going to mark the true ground zero disaster for the Live Services in the same way as this upcoming Suicide Squad game will, it's like we're slow-motion creeping up on a convergence point with this thing come May and June and people are actually quite aware that one of their sacred cows is being slaughtered in the most cynical way, that a talented studio is being run into the ground to chase a dying trend. At this point I just hope whatever goes down doesn't come back on Rocksteady and completely ruin them or put all those people out of work, because watching Easy Allies respond to it...drat, those folks are so upbeat about everything and you could hear a pin drop during the presentation, like a pall was hanging over the whole thing. Digital Foundry came down pretty hard on it, too, and those two Bellular guys were voicing a lot of the same criticisms. Now, all these people may just be the online in-the-know types, but we have 3 entire months for this to simmer.

It's wild, because the game looks mad expensive, competently executed on a technical level by a veteran studio employing a big popular license. If it stumbles badly I think it'll be a real tipping point and we'll see a lot other projects swerving suddenly in development. Now, mind you, that actually might be a good thing in the long run or we might end up getting something even worse, but if so it's going to be so disheartening if Rocksteady takes the fall for an industry trend.

From everything I’ve seen the reaction has been universally sad. Not even angry just a ton of disappointment that a studio who makes absurdly good single player superhero games is churning out a live service 3rd person shooter with seemingly every game design mechanic people are tired of.

In general I think we’re hitting the point of general exhaustion with a lot of gameplay designs in both live service games and open world games. I know more hardcore types and reviewers have been there for a minute but it seems to have finally spread across the larger gamer audience. Some of that’s been driven by genuinely great innovative stuff like Elden Ring showing other ways to do things but I think it’s similar to the way MMOs became a thing and then very quickly the industry realized that people only have so much time and can’t juggle more than 1 or 2 of them. Live service is similar, there’s already so many consistent mainstays out there and unless your game is going to knock off destiny, Fortnite, CoD, Genshin, etc you’re probably not getting the audience you think. That and it’s become very clear over time that most of this poo poo is predatory as hell.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

I hope they have a fair amount of bosses that utilize the core combat mechanics. Switching to fighting games or side scrolling shooters for a cinematic gimmick boss doesn’t excite me as much.

From the early impressions every eikon battle has unique mechanics but there’s plenty of boss fights where you’ve still got your usual move set. Hell I spotted some ff14 rear end boss mechanics in one of them

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

mycot posted:

Stack Ranking is so funny for how openly malicious it is. It's what you would expect from the system of government of the Space Pirates or the Garleans, not a real life company that sells computers.

haveblue posted:

Or a real life company that sells anything. IIRC it was also part of the fall of Sears

Any current company that did or still does stack ranking is a loving dinosaur. That's a management model created, pioneered, and widely peddled by Jack Welch the CEO of GE back in the 80s when GE was a loving titan. It's needlessly antagonistic, creates a company culture of secrecy and mistrust, and most importantly it means you can't actually leverage your giant rear end company's many assets in a way that's value add. Instead it actively makes business units worse.

God Jack Welch was such a piece of poo poo.

Anyway, basically every huge proponent of it has either switched or died including GE themselves which is reaching Kodak levels of a small vestige of what it once was. The problem as noted with places that switched out is that it takes an excruciatingly long time to change the company culture especially at the top. Microsoft still has a lot of that old rear end pre-2000s management DNA left in their blood and it definitely shows.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Fix posted:

Which game cost twice as much to develop as Call of Duty?

Gotta be a licensed game with delays bc expensive licensing by itself massively increases the cost.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Jedi game's good so far, I'm near the end of the main storyline got all the traversal tools and abilities.

biggest complaint is performance. it'll run fine, mostly, but drat it takes so long to load into the cantina and the texture pop in is pretty absurd considering its on PS5.

second biggest complaint is the goddamn map. hated that stupid rear end holo map in the first game, it's still utterly dogshit in this game too.

other than that the characters are great still, the story is solid if a bit weaker than the first, i shockingly love the drat cantina especially once you get dj robot to spin some beats and little scottish fisherman to make you a cool tank of fish, and oh god do i loving love the blaster / saber combo. its sooooooo satisfying, god how did i play the first game without it. there's a move you can unlock in the skill tree for it where if you shoot right as they attack (ie shoot instead of parry) you'll shotgun blast their rear end 10 yards away. gently caress saber parries, gently caress perfect dodges, perfect shotgun parry's are the light and the truth now

oh also some sick fits in this game, they got a lot better at making cool clothes for cal.

its a good sequel. i hope they make a 3rd one and really go wild with it

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 2, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

bloodychill posted:

I’ve heard good things about the frog

its an insane idiot frog voiced by invader zim, and you don't ever have to interact with him too much. he's the perfect star wars character

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

JBP posted:

Haven't finished it but I'm enjoying it much more than the first game. I think the intention is to make it a trilogy and this one seems to have done well, so I think we will get it!

excellent, i really quite like the weird soulslike + nathan drake mashup they've got going.

hopefully by the 3rd they'll fix the map and stop including more of that evil giant frog thing Oggdo. They put his offspring as a trap in this one and then there's a loving tear thing where you have to fight both the OG evil frog and his offspring at the same time. Few things more satisfying than killing both of those assholes with a blaster/saber combo but also i hate them and would prefer to see them no more.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

also has anyone else run into the joke boss in Jedi yet? that made me set the controller down I was laughing so hard

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

the other thing ive liked about this jedi series is the first one was actually my first full soulslike game. i rented sekiro on launch with zero knowledge of From or the souls formula and bounced off hard (gently caress that horse general). getting through the first jedi game is what got me up to speed enough that i tried out elden ring at launch and that was the best gaming decision ive made in ages. ive since beaten ds3 and i started bloodborne but really thought there might be a patch for it so i paused

JBP posted:

Are you referring to Rick? I laughed.

lol yes i used my trusty blaster right as i read the boss name and heard his warcry and i just could not stop laughing. it was almost exactly the scene from Raiders where Indy just shoots the dude doing crazy sword stuff

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 2, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

lol. Good. Stand by that fantasy, square.
https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1653761074708250625?t=gS0vxN36NcX6Z-cwt7Wtpw&s=19

I think you can infer why, but if you really wanna know its because (real spoiler about contents of a scene but ive not mentioned character names or story we're getting two hot dudes fuckin' in one of the sex scenes and endless FF gone woke twitter posts from dipshit clowns. Dongs flying everywhere baby. Some stuff leaked for the game back in dec and jan, a few bits like sex scenes and whos fuckin' but also big stuff you should not look up (not just the dongs)

listen if Yoshida followed up the most delightfully gay game of all time (FF14) with something that Saudi Arabia approved of I'd be real concerned.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hope FF16 is the horniest game of 2023.

would sell 1 billion copies

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BitBasher posted:

The real problem with Gamepass is that the Xbox ecosystem only makes money on software. Microsoft has admitted they never make a profit on the consoles. Gamepass cannibalizes the software sales. The sheer number of people here in various threads that say they aren't buying so-and-so game because it'll appear on Gamepass is staggering. You can't make a financially beneficial service where you make it's central focus point something that reduces your income. What's the long term goal there? They now can't eliminate Gamepass without causing a lot of ill will, and Gamepass is actively reducing their software income.

The very reason Gamepass is popular is because it's cheaper than buying the games. While at the same time hasn't made their console more popular than their competitors. So they reduced their income while at the same time not driving system sales. There's no winning there. All the while delivering fewer and fewer must have games across their development umbrella.

EDIT: I should clarify that Gamepass and Xbox Live income I consider part of software. Even if you don't, Adding together subscriptions and software sales the Gamepass subscriptions still cause a net negative compared to if Gamepass didn't exist in it's current state and gamers had to buy games. Microsoft even admitted this a while back.

Game pass right now feels like a precursor to them shifting hyper aggressively into cloud gaming. Just dropping the consoles entirely after this generation and trying to leverage their near insane market share with Azure to become the de factor source for cloud gaming.

But in general it’s always felt like Xbox has suffered from not actually being that important to Microsoft at large and so the Xbox strategy shifts drastically every 4-5 years. Initially it’s a direct attempt to limit Sony’s influence, then they wanted it to become the go to entertainment device, then it’s going to be the Gamepass device, but at no point has their strategy been focused on making good games/profiting off of good games its nearly always games/Xbox as a lead in to some larger strategy. Of course they keep assuming the good games will come so we don’t have to focus on that bit and it just never really happens.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Lol. Gamepass has essentially become Netflix. Some bangers but also a reputation for where games not good enough for "box office" release go.

Yep. I also wonder if it has a similar Netflix effect where it’ll create a ton of cultural conversation and buzz around small stuff that wouldn’t normally get attention like Squid Game (Hi Fi Rush) but it seems to actively reduce the amount of buzz around big stuff (for Netflix this is because it gets dropped all at once so it shortens the conversation window). For Gamepass I think not paying anything for a big game sort of reduces the level of fervor around it bc it being free means there’s essentially no research, consideration, no amount of customer buy in that has to occur. All you’re spending is a bit of time and bc you didn’t pay for it you also have zero internal pressure to finish it or spend significant time with the game. It’s hard to prove out bc uhhh Xbox hasn’t had many big good games.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

incorporeal posted:

I wish the ps5 had games so there wouldn’t be 2 threads that are about the Xbox.

The main competitor shooting themselves in the dick is sort of, you know, relevant. But hey people always love forums police so by all means continue forth, i hear they’re talking about bbq in the football forums right now.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

fridge corn posted:

:siren: Year of the RPG from Japan :siren:

Update!!!

Plat get :henget:

Time for a recap??

RPGs from Japan played so far this year:

1. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
  2. Star Ocean: First Departure R
  3. Persona 4 Golden
  4. Rogue Galaxy
  5. Octopath Traveler II
  6. I am Setsuna.
  7. The Legend of Dragoon
  8. Final Fantasy
  9. Live A Live
  10. Final Fantasy II

Up next...????

11. Oninaki ... lol wut?? Okay..!!

:siren: Year of the RPG from Japan :siren:

つづく...

How would you rank these games as far as what’s been the best?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Is the original Dragon’s Dogma worth playing? I was very intrigued by what they showed of DD2 and I’ve heard great things before about the original.

Also I don’t care about anything else at the showcase, I’m going to be able to play MGS1 on PS5 and FF16 still looks sick as hell

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yes! Play DD god damnit.

acksplode posted:

Yes yes yes. It's a totally unique mish-mash of western RPG and japanese character action, it's ambitious in both of those directions, very fun to play, and the story goes wild at the end.

Oh poo poo ok, I’ll add it to the queue.

Any comps I should be aware of? I’ve played basically all the big western RPGs and many many of the Japanese ones.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I think my copy is finally arriving later today, hallelujah. Is there another graphics patch planned soon? I’m about to go out of town so I’d consider holding off if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

FF16 slaps, there’s some weirdness with the pacing and side quests but otherwise it’s excellent. Active Time Lore should be in every story based game from here on out, it’s incredible. I keep laughing to myself at some of the negative reviews that said this wasn’t a true final fantasy game when this is the most final fantasy-rear end game they’ve made in a minute. I have no idea where the plot’s going but judging by the amount of bombast and insane set pieces I assume we attack and dethrone god at the end.