Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Valkyrie Elysium demo is out!! I am downloading it RN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

fridge corn posted:

Trip report pls

I have played through Chapter 1 of the Valkyrie Elysium demo in a little under 2 hours. I don't know if there's much more to do because I stopped there, but it looks like I can go back at do side quests in the first area at least. First thing to get out of the way is that this game got the Trials of Mana budget, not the FFXV budget, so adjust expectations accordingly. I'm not entirely sold on the hybrid cel-shade art style, and the colors looked a bit washed out on my screen although that might just be an HDR thing. The gameplay however is very fun. If you've played DMC or basically any 3-D Square RPG from the past seven years, then this is a simplified version of that. The levels are mostly linear monster arenas with some hidden areas, there's a combo meter, and you get a letter ranking at the end. The double jump, the hookshot, the aerial combos, the witch time, it's all here, it's a CAG folks. Overall I enjoyed it and will be looking forward to playing some more when I get back from work, maybe on Hard this time because Normal seemed quite easy. If you don't immediately love the 21-year old actress told to speak with an over-enunciated British accent energy of this game then why have you even read this far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowman posted:

you might be joking but I would play the gently caress out a werner herzog game

This steamship puzzle is bullshit, I've been trying to pull it up the mountain for like 3 hours now only to keep getting stuck on geometry. Uninstalling this broken-rear end game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don’t think Herzog would be that preachy. Bad Lieutenant is pretty much Nic Cage playing a GTA protagonist IRL.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Xenogears is an all-time classic but it's fair to say that it has a lot of problems, problems that have now existed for 25 years so they'd be impossible to address in any theoretical remake/remaster without upsetting a large contingent of people.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hopefully the remaster is good so that we can all be saying "Sweet Codin'!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Any real-time game in which you are expected to perform a sequence of intended inputs is QTE, when you really think about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VR will never be accepted until they can make it so you don't look like a complete goober wearing one of those headsets.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hopefully it's like AC Syndicate where everybody can and does play as the chick outside of the few mandated story missions where you absolutely have to pick the dude.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Another gamer asks why Quiet doesn't wear any clothes...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Most games already have that feature, it's called gettin gudder :smugdog:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I beat Hades once and felt 100% done with it, same with Returnal (well twice but you get the idea). A lot of people seem to find roguelites with meta progression very addicting but they don't really satisfy my gamer instincts to perfect a certain build or gear loadout.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Really more of a deathflowchart at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Don't really see how goon apartments are a sustainable concept for a Silent Hill game but let's wait it out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saren's ARRGH! RRAAAARGH! scene from Mass Effect 1 except he's kicking a blitzball.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

10 years from now there's gonna be $15 Steam trash with slow wall-walking sections and gamers will say, "I really missed this."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I guess you could say that the "Stadia" was in fact... a Vomitorium!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The main difference being that nobody in the PS5 thread could ever be accused of saying that sincerely.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

bloodychill posted:

Every moment you play machine strike you’re robbing yourself of the rest of the game, which is great. They should’ve left it on the cutting room floor.

I eventually came to really enjoy Machine Strike, but the tutorials do not do a good job of explaining the correct strategy. Here is what you actually need to focus on: 1) Find what combination of the opponent's pieces will get you to 7 points without making them go down to 1 piece remaining, and 2) Intentionally sacrifice your own pieces to leave you with 1 supercharged monster at the end. This is because you and the opponent will always get 2 turns when you're down to 1 machine, and if that one piece has a ton of mobility and/or damage like a Stormbird, you can play hit and run forever and win. Conversely, you want to set up situations where your opponent has no chance to hit back, either through overcharging or divebombing their highest value piece right at the start. You never want to let them go down to 1 machine on a single turn, because then you can get wombo comboed for a million damage from their double attack + overcharge. I recommend the Stormbird/Ravager combo for Aloy's board. Great damage, mobility, and neither piece is worth 7 so you'll never lose outright from either one of them dying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Prodeus is a GOATeus

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Prodeus definitely has a lot in common with Doom 2016's spawn-in monster arenas while you bunny hop around constantly switching around your limited stores of weapon ammo. The OG Doom is a lot more of a methodical dungeon crawler by comparison, in Prodeus there's almost no backtracking or key hunt time. It would be most accurate to say that it draws from a variety of sources both old and new.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Amid Evil makes the best use of its environments and complex layout as an actual feature of the game itself IMHO.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I played through GMGOW on NG+ and the only thing I found difficult were the last couple Valkyries. It was kind of OP actually with the talisman that lets you reset cooldowns. 4x runic attacks with invul frames is usually enough to instaclear a room.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Goldeneye hasn't gotten an actual remake in the 25 years it has existed. There was that one completely different Bond game released by EA using the title GoldenEye in an attempt to cash in on the name, and the lackluster reimagining/reboot/whatever that came out for the Wii.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's We're Not Gonna Take It and it's not even particularly close.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There's very little to remaster minus the facial animations and draw distance, everything else is essentially maxed out in the PC version.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

As cool as Mecha Hunter would be, one of the cool things about MHW is its weapon variety. Even though I did used to main the Bow for a bit in MHW, four people all using the same kind of weapon/playstyle just doesn't feel right. You can have someone raining arrows on the monster, but you also need to have one person determinedly jabbing and poking and wearing them down with a sword and shield, someone else with a heavy weapon repeatedly trying to land their big swing attack on a weak point for 500 damage, and someone else with either a polearm or a ten-foot katana making big flashy sweeping attacks somewhere in the monster's direction. It's, uh, tactical.

I think in a theoretical co-op setting they would break up the play styles by character class or tribe. The groundwork is already halfway done for them. Oseram are the big heavy melee dudes, Nora are hunters, Carja are stealthy trapper types, Utaru shoot plants or whatever, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Were you also recently acquired by Fandom? Because that is CURSED.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Prodeus is sick-nasty.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If I have one criticism of Prodeus it's that it's perhaps a bit too long and could have used a couple wowzer set pieces like the ending to Amid Evil. But otherwise it's the best semi-retro Doomlike I've played in awhile.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That scene from the VVitch where Ralph Ineson is crushed under his own mediocrity except it's a pile of graphics cards, PS5 headsets and amiibos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lol blizzard are the dumbest loving developers in the entire industry

Blizzard were about to implement a change to the way immunities work in D2 that would have opened up dozens of new builds and reverted it at the last minute because some no-life streamer begged them not to make Sorcs even slightly less OP than they've ever been in the 20+ year history of the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Instead of a phone number the CoD authentication servers should ask the player to compose a short essay on a randomly selected American military intervention in the past half century for each login attempt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just can't trust a franchise that keeps finding new heroes after saying there were none left.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'd really recommend playing through the first 2032 Metros so that you won't get confused by the story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"Graphics are basically real life now" - Me, reading previews of Quake 3 Arena in 1999

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Boltblasters are insane in HFW, way stronger than the Rattler ever was. With the Ranged Master surge and sustained fire weapon skill you can delete any elite machine in seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXCBRsTBUHM&t=17s

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

stev posted:

The boss puzzles in SotC are so much easier than I remember them being when I was like 15. I guess I still remember some of them to some extent and they're probably tricker to play blind but the bearded giant is just 'run across the room and jump on his beard'.

The game is naturally much easier when it's not running at 15fps and you don't have half a second of input lag on every jump.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Already the backpaddling begins…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I was having too much fun getting my Nova Sorc to obliterate CS in D2R but I am excited to start A Plague Tale 2: Sad Rats. It sounds like Asobo really outdid themselves.