Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

I thought I was gonna buy Wanted: Dead today, but watching videos of the early game and uh... that's a lot of very long and very boring cutscenes. I'm not feeling the mini-game stuff either. That stuff was edited down to some funny off-kilter trailers, but in actual long-form, it all seems glacial and tedious.

The actual missions still look cool, but I'm curious how much of the game's runtime they actually amount to. I'd probably be day one at a lower price, but for $60 I guess I'll wait to hear a few more opinions.

Edit: Hilariously, the studio kinda fumbled with publishing to digital storefronts. There were two editions published on steam, but one of them was just an earlier build of the game and crashes like crazy. They're titled and described identically so the user reviews are pointing out which one is actually finished. I wonder if publishing the PS4 and PS5 versions as separate purchases was also a screwup.

It is an incredibly short game. It's about 4 missions long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ishin and Octopath are both good games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I loving hated Atomic Heart but it is playable and I imagine some people will love it. I'd rather wrote a guide for it than some other stuff. Still loving hated through

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Why did you hate it

The story is aggressively boring told in a horribly tedious way. The protagonist spends the entire time complaining about everything include tons of complaining about video game stuff. Like tons of whining about finding keys.

It also seems to think subtle foreshadowing is telling you something and then spending 5 hours 'building up' to sonething it told you. (Like no lie There is a scene where the protagonist literally sees the plot explained and then a few hours later goes "When he said (spoiler that can't be taken any other way) I didn't realize he meant (spoiler that can't be taken any other way)

It also is an unashamed but more incompetent Bioshock that tries to lampshade how much of a direct clone it is that at one point you go into a bathysphere next to a lighthouse and see sn underwater city in the distance which the protagonist calls 'a rapture' which has literally no plot or gameplay reference besides Remember Bioshock

The open world is pointless. It is nothing but wasted time between dungeons. It is probably the worst open world I can remember

The shooting is okay but pretty one note and one weapon hilariously trivialized every encounter. It wore out its welcome pretty quick because of a painful lack of enemy variety.

It is extremely loving horny in an offputting way. One of the jokes is that the store vending machine is horny and so it spends many transactions screaming at you to go hard inside of her and punish her.

There is so much more but a lot of it is spoilers. The music slaps though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 20, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

this is making it sound less like bioshock and more like far cry meets high on life

Far Cry has much better open worlds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

Looks like Mick Gordon worked on Atomic Heart music and he donated the money to support Ukraine:
https://twitter.com/Mick_Gordon/status/1625495826247319556

That reminds me, is there actually an AH thread or us it falling under Hogwarts Legacy rules?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

there isn't one but it's more due to lack of interest

Understandable. Just didn't want to cause issues by discussing it I realized

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AH is hilariously apolitical for a game of its nature. It's strongest criticism is 'communism without true equality is open to abuse' and it doesn't even really commit to that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Lol, are you Ralph from Skillup? From his review:

The funny thing is that quote is from your 'smart' sidekick. Everyone is dumb as bricks.

But yes P-3 is the dumbest motherfucker in the USSR.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing about ' secrets' makes me wonder if they patching some kinda Chrono 3 foreshadowing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I must have missed the depth in 'hold down the buzzsaw button, occasionally hit lightning button'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

negativeneil posted:

I don't see what the big deal is with Suicide Squad. Barely anything of the single player campaign has been revealed. I seriously doubt Rocksteady spent all the years since Arkham Knight building what I saw last week. We saw Suicide Squad's take on TLOU Factions and everyone's freaking out like it's the whole game. I will probably play that dumb co-op mode if it's fun, but I'm getting the game because the single player campaign is likely to be fantastic given the pedigree.

Because what you are seeing is the single player campaign. It's a multiplayer focused loot grinder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

also I once again find myself asking: how do random loot and builds have any place in the superhero fantasy. you don't see batman and robin opening treasure chests and getting the legendary boots of kicking in the comics. that poo poo is meant for d&d parties

Superheroes getting new costumes and one off gimmicks is one of the most common things in comics actually.

Like those 40000 different costumes in Spider-Man generally had a gimmick or purpose that lasted like 2 issues.

It is trying to gamify the 'Batman gets a suit of armor strong enough to fight Superman' concept

Edit: Spider-Man but more predatory is a good idea of what they are going for.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 26, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I guess this really only applies to me on these forums, but Babylon's Fall shuts down February 27 at 11pm pacific time. Square-Enix, and Platinum can both go gently caress themselves because this game was actually really good, and for the last few months the game has been popping off with a lot of people online playing it. It just didn't sell well because it literally came out the same week as Elden Ring, and no one bought into the exploitative cash shop, so Square-Enix is punishing everyone who bought the game.

People didn't start playing it until it was cancelled because they wanted to see the dying game Game stop literally waa giving away free.

It also got savaged in reviews and prior to the cancelation had a player count in the single digits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I thought no one cared about what reviewers thought about games though? Like, it was clear the gaming journalists had no idea how to play the game and didn't even try. It had a pretty complicated combat system, but once you wrapped your head around it, the whole thing was pretty easy. There was zero marketing, the release date was terrible. The game was buried from the very start by Square, so I don't get why they even bothered to release it in the first place. It should have just been canceled.

It wasn't just reviewers. I don't think you can blame the combat system because there are plenty of games with more complex combat that do fine.

Like it is worth noting even the demos were extremely poorly received. Even if Elden Ring didn't exist there was no positive press or player opinions. Even the most die-hard of Platinum fans passed on it.

It sucks for people who bought it but I don't really think you can blame anyone for a game just not succeeding. It wasn't like people who bought it were out championing hard.

Likewise it isn't really just SE. Platinum really doesn't have the resources to maintain upkeep on a failed game. SE may be able to live eith their mistakes but Platinum basically has been kept afloat by Nintendo.

Rumor is Platinum is reviving Scalebound with Microsoft's and they would need all hands on deck and all resources for that if true.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

Anyway, Octopath 2 update: I started playing as Castti and p much done most of what I can do for now on the western continent so started travelling east, picked up Ochette and lmao is she actually as hilariously broken as I think she is? She might never be leaving my party again

She actually gets more broken later on.

Her EX skills are bonkers good and high end monsters do absurd damage. Her only real 'flaw' is being incredibly BP hungry but Castti or Partitio can solve that easy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I'll be honest, I check out of games from trailers that don't even have gameplay. What're the ones that've been gaas like Suicide Squad? I only know the last three comic book ones: Marvel's Avengers, Gotham Knights, and now Suicide Squad too.

Gotham wasn't GaS.. It was just a loot grind RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JRPG was an insult for a good while, especially during the 'Phil Fish gets onstage and says Japanese games suck' era.

There was almost a decade where almost every American outlet treated Japanese stuff like Weird Outdated Trash and is part of what lead to desperate attempt by Japanese developers to 'westernize' games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Going back to the exact quotes YoshiP repeatedly refers to "JRPG" as a term that came about "15 years ago", which I don't think is quite accurate but makes sense for him to have only learned about mid-7th gen.

Yeah I get the feeling from the interview (and from stuff other developers said both at the time and later) that 'Japanese RPG' had a way more negative connotation because it became associated with that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Everyone knows a JRPG when they see one and even the "Duhhh, Dark Souls is a JRPG" crowd 100% know it's not.

I mean not really. Nobody objected to calling King's Field a JRPG until people got weird about Dark Souls. Atlus marketed Demon's Souls as an RPG and even mentioned it beong inspired by Berserk.

'Dark Souls doesn't count' is 100% the same thing YoshiP was talking about. If you like it it can't be a JRPG because JRPG = bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Nah that's BS. I don't like JRPGs, but it's not because I am scared to like them or be seen liking them. If I found a JRPG that landed with me I'd be very happy. It's just basic common sense game classification in the same way you wouldn't classify Skyrim in the same category as CRPGs like Baulders Gate or wasteland, even though they technically meet the criteria if you want to be pedantic about it. Game classifications exist so people can discuss and recommend games easier. Dark Souls has minimal in common with the average game that would be classified as a JRPG, so you are just making a genre classification useless by being overly nit picky about the meaning of it. If someone liked Chrono trigger and was looking for more games like Chrono trigger you would be dumb to just jump to Dark Souls because "well technically its also japanese and an RPG"

It's like people that get hung up on the definition of rougelike. The term isn't there to compare it to a computer game from 1980 at this point. It's used because when you say a game is a rougelike people will know what type of game you are talking about.

And you know how I know it's not a JRPG? Because no one actually refers to it as one unless it's being used as a smug talking point in an argument.

No, people don't call it a JRPG because people get angry when they do and it isn't worth the fight. Again I literally have marketing poo poo from Atlus that called Demon's Souls one.

You wouldn't recommend Demon's Souls to someone who liked Chrono Trigger because it plays significantly different. You also wouldn't recommend Star Ocean or Tales of Berseria without knowing if they enjoyed action combat systems. It depends on what they liked about it. I wouldn't recommend Fallout if you said you liked Wizardry either.

It used to mean 'RPG from Japan' but now people try to argue that RPGs from Japan dont count and it is almost always walled off with 'I don't like JRPGS' because it turns out the genre is absurdly broad and comprises Final Fantasy to SaGa to frigging Nier which has zero controversy around calling it a JRPG (and indeed part if it's claim to fame is commenting on JRPG tropes)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shammypants posted:

This is a cool straw man factory. You guys are arguing with no one. Everyone knows there are types of JRPGs and they often break genres just like anime doesn't mean strictly japanese origin cartoons with strictly japanese origin characters.

What I am saying is Avatar the Last Airbender is a top 3 anime

I am saying that if your definition of JRPG doesn't include some of the longest running RPG franchises from Japan and you make sure to qualify that you don't like JRPGS but only by cutting out things you *do* like, it kind of proves exactly why they don't want FF16 to be called a JRPG

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This is one of those arguments that can only manage to confuse people on the internet, meanwhile everybody else understands implicitly that JRPG does not literally mean "an RPG made in Japan."

I'd say it is the opposite. It is only a small section of people who demand JRPG mean Specific Thing. Meanwhile Nier Automata or whatever shows up on Best JRPG lists regularly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

That's because Nier is a JRPG.

I agree.

Not sure why it qualifies and Dark Souls doesn't.

It is almost like using the term to mean anything that isn't RPG from Japan falls apart.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Because Souls games have developed their own set of conventions so widely unique and emulated by other products that "Soulslike" is effectively its own genre. The same way nobody really considers Devil May Cry 1 a "survival horror" even though it was clearly influenced by and spun off from the Resident Evil series.

Maybe if you do some huge taxonomy of all video game genres then Dark Souls would fall under JRPG but I think most people these days will consider those games their own thing.

I mean by that logic shouldn't we just use turn-based and real-time (or RTwP) instead of JRPG? Nobody would object to saying SMT evolved from Wizardry or Final Fantasy from Dungeons and Dragons.

What about King's Field which is bluntly Proto Demon's Souls as a franchise but contains few of the things that it popularized.

Like I wouldn't hesitate to call Freedom Planet or Spark The Jester both Sonic clones but I also wouldn't argue they weren't platformers either.

Like this entire discussion started because of the 'I don't want our game to be labeled a JRPG' quote and it kind of keeps proving itself. People go out if their way to justify why something *isn't* a JRPG versus like nobody feeling the need to classify that Crash, Sonic and Mario are all platformers.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 28, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I think it's weird that they're making numbered FF an action title, but in saying that I'm also very happy and super pumped to play it. I think YoshiP has been a little bit too hard on the brand though? Like he basically says FF is not a marquee title any more and talks a lot about the kids these days.

FFXV was already an action title

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

I only just got it myself on PC but I hope ASTLIBRA Revision comes to the PS5 at some point because I think some posters ITT would absolutely love it. Extreme old-school "we love RPG" vibes like no other game in recent memory.

And yes... despite it being a real-time hack and slash platformer/metroidvania, the developers call it... a JRPG

e: the music is bonkers good and reminds me the most of Ys Origin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvRNjuoKvlI

Astlibra is very good but be warned it gets *really* horny almost randomly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It sucks extra hard considering the proliferation of cool small indie games where trying to find info on something is basically impossible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

So, I mean unless it’s a huge spoiler and explained by the plot, is RE4 and RE7 directly linked by way of black mold and the same castle/village?

Nope. RE4 introduces the Plagas which played s big role in 5 snd 6. The mold was new for 7/8

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

the fact that the resident evil 4 demo tells you to "fight them off" but it really just means "run around and don't die for x time" really rubbed me the wrong way. makes you feel like you're expected to (and can achieve) killing all the villagers.

bullshit misdirection or whatever you wanna call it made it very easy for me to come to the conclusion i wont buy the full game. can't be bothered to waste my time doing futile poo poo bc the game is being disingenuous with its instructions.

... Uh, killing enough enemies also triggers the cutscene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also flubbed the one big thing everyone was excited about by trimming Nemesis to the very end of one segment and then nothing but boss fights and cutscenes.

Coming off Mr.X in RE2 it was a huge disappointment. Especially since the demo showed off the only good Nemesis part and left people expecting more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

REmake is good enough I don't think any other remake would be remotely necessary.

Like even with RE4 you can argue the mechanics felt awkward to newer players but RE1 is very specifically designed around its mechanics. It doesn't really gain much.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

If that were true of RE1 that would also be true of RE2 and everyone loves the RE2 remake. There's absolutely nothing uniquely un-remakable about RE1 as a more modern game. Capcom has shown repeatedly that they can capture the tone and themes of the early games as modern third person shooters without losing much and adding a lot.

A lot of people who might be new to the series aren't going to want to go back to the original style from almost 30 years ago. And some people like myself who already like the original would just like to see it stand side by side with the other games that have gotten the recnt remake treatment.

At the end of the day none of these remakes were "needed". They are cool cause they stand on their own as a cool addition to the series and they don't replace the originals or cause them to cease existing.

Yes and no. They do hold up, but they look a little strange on modern systems. The backgrounds look noticeably more low res than the character models for example.

It isn't though. RE2 was explicitly the Aliens to RE1's Alien. Bigger, louder and with combat being more of a focus. It was billed as having more enemies onscreen, bigger guns and so on. RE1 cant be the sane because it is geared towards smaller and less intense encounters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

:actually: hes not in the main og game, is what i meant, not counting mercs and ada. He shows up with his face in re4r in a cutscene and spouts some re5 lines lol think its either the ending or a special ending tho

No he shows up in the same place. That is where you get the reveal he is in his evil Satellite lair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

RIP sylens but more importantly the guy from the wire fringe Remedy's quantum break

https://twitter.com/filmupdates/status/1636803371041689600?s=46&t=fd_uiwtJoQUWIXLGjoXqnQ

Well gently caress. He was way too young

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

the game literally says "fight them off" so it implies you should be actively "fighting" aka attacking/engaging in combat. and then that in an of itself implies "dont die/reach 0 health"

i was holding my own for a decent amount of time but kept dying to the chainsaw guy. on my third attempt i just ran around bc i realized i wasnt using the entire arena at my disposal. after running around for maybe like 30-60 seconds longer than i was actively fighting in my first two attempts, the cutscene was triggered and i didnt have to do poo poo.

that, to me, is low quality UX/UI instructing and expectation setting by the developers.

also the fact that you interact with certain objects in the game environment and it instructs you to press circle to go back but you can really press any button. and then in other interactions you actually *can't* press circle to go back even tho that instruction is still on the screen but you actually need to turn the piece of paper back over to the front first with x instead or whatever.

i know the last paragraph is not going to bother most people, but that poo poo is just annoying and obviously lazy stuff i just cant vibe with when it comes to how a game is put together. feels obvious that they dont give a poo poo so why should i?

You do know 'fight them off' doesn't mean kill everything, right? It is literally 'defend yourself from attack.' When someone fights off an advance it doesn't mean they beat them all.

You are literally complaining because you dont kniw what words mean.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

ignoring what the dumbest bastard in Games thinks about RE4, the news about Reddick sucks, especially because he seemed pretty healthy from whatever we saw of him

you could probably get Keith David as a stand-in for Sylens but Reddick was one of those types who improved any production he was involved with

Yeah. 60 is way too loving young.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Who says this… I’ll end them

I have to admit I've never heard that anywhere before. The village sequence is so beloved they just fuckin' copied it in RE5 and 8.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The true remake lineup is Remake, RE2make, Dead Space 2023, RE4make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

univbee posted:

The other thing with Resident Evil games is that they're mostly built as very literal survival games, especially on higher difficulties you are straight-up not provided with enough resources to actually kill everything, coupled with the enemies being super-tanky on these difficulties. On top of some of the games having a bullshit (or at least very hard but fair) higher difficulty that expects you to only experience it as a New Game+ and almost certainly as not your first blind playthrough of the game even if you're a series veteran, even on the lower difficulties you're usually more or less expected to actually run away from situations instead of outright fighting if you can work out a way to do so, especially since one of the series staples is being chased by some all-powerful entity that you can maybe stun but never outright kill, possibly paired with some avenues for actually hiding from them until the coast is clear (e.g. Mr. X in RE2 Remake patrols specific areas and can find out your location if you run/shoot, with the police station having a lot of choke points but very few actual dead ends, you're almost always able to actually take a long way around Mr. X somehow).

Also, this RE4 Remake might be taking a different approach, but many of the others are actually designed to be played multiple times. Resident Evil 2 has four mostly-similar campaigns that have enough different between them to make things interesting, and once you know roughly where things are and how to get around you can zip through a playthrough in 2-2.5 hours.

RE4make actually has S+ rankings which require you to do the game on a fresh save without using bonus weapons. It's pretty interesting as it makes the challenge more than just "equip rocket launcher, win."