Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
watching skill up’s forspoken preview and I actually really like the combat graphics and environmental design (that huge stone arch is a lovely piece of scenery), but his evasiveness about anything that involves plot or dialogue is ominous and the gameplay itself looks an awful lot like open world icon hunting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it looks like one of those awkward hybrid brawler-shooters from the ps2/early ps3 generation, and i've missed them dearly

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sifu is Sekiro levels of satisfying once you get rolling

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

Forgot about Sifu... should buy it.

Now that there are difficulty levels, is the default still the hard one? I want to play it the original way

they’ve added an easy mode and a hard (Master) mode, default is the original

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

oh yeah did that roller derby game come out yet

it came and went. i thought it was good but really difficult, to the point where i had to neglect most of the high-score mechanics because just staying alive was all i could manage on most stages

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i couldn't click with wo long as well as i would've liked. mapping parry and dodge to the same button and sprint to another button entirely was messing with my sekiro muscle memory bad, and the parry timing seems way too tight given how fast enemy attacks come out. also nthing the weariness with the loot drops. who is this for? i've never seen anyone praise it, at best it's just tolerated

as for the stage boss, either i'm doing something very wrong or it'd be utterly miserable without summons. at least you can stunlock the first phase, the second is a screaming spiky hurricane that never gives you a second to heal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Did you guys turn on the lock-on function in Sushi Ghost? I just started playing it last night and I can't get comfortable with it or without it, feels like I'm fighting the camera all the time. Figure I just oughta pick the best option and just work on getting used to it.

not me, the game was usually pretty good about defaulting to whoever i wanted to slice up without forcing it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the dodge/parry mapping means that you get exactly one button press to parry an attack, if you double-tap then you'll hop backward and eat poo poo. doesn't seem optimal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hoffadoff posted:

So outer worlds and cyberpunk are both on sale right now. If I was looking for a fps would either one of them fit the bill? Are they both giant open world games where I'm gonna have to travel halfway across a big rear end map to shoot poo poo?

cyberpunk is exactly a giant open world game where you're gonna half to travel halfway across a big rear end map to shoot poo poo. outer worlds i wouldn't know because it's bad

cyberpunk has its merits but it's not very good as a shooter. guns sound great but your character's damage feedback is really bad, you'll just hear a soft thwip-thwip and suddenly half your lifebar is missing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

Did RDR2 ever get some kind of next gen update?

infuriatingly, no

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
skill up's reviews are decent but his digests are useless, we get more current and detailed information from this thread alone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

Since you guys mentioned it, I had to open up Hades just to see if I'd somehow put God Mode on without realising. I'm awful at games but I've now managed seven or eight clears in Hades in 70-odd runs so I had good reason to wonder, but turns out no, I am playing the full-damage version of the game.

I've gone from dying early over and over to bouncing off the final boss over and over again to actually winning more often than not for my last five or ten runs, even adding difficulty modifiers (some of which hurt more than others). I'm actually doing some runs with a weapon I don't really like just to try all its upgrades, and still winning even when I think I don't have enough damage for it.

I guess either the various Keepsakes and Mirror upgrades are really powerful, or at some point I actually started learning the game. I'm going to put it down mostly to being really stubborn and wanting to get further into the game because of how much I'm enjoying it.

it's both, but mostly the mirror. hades really needs you to gain some initial momentum before you start clearing runs

once you clear that initial hurdle then you quickly get into the loop of effortlessly blasting through runs, turning up Heat until you're challenged again, and empowering yourself until you need to turn up the Heat some more

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Augus posted:

that's kinda weird op

one of his less controversial statements, kill la kill was extremely bad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

What do people want out of a pirate game to begin with? I'm not entirely sure where people are getting let down to begin with.

I want it to be like Prince of Persia and that animated Sinbad movie. Put a giant gorgeous chaos Goddess in it.

GIVE ME A GAL CAN DANCE FANDANGO
ROUND AS A MELON AND SWEET AS A MANGO

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sometimes I consider getting an Xbox but I can’t even keep up with new releases on consoles I do own

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

bloodychill posted:

A lot of people will say the worst JRPG song is the New LA day theme from Xenoblade Chronicles X. And to them, I say "have you played Evergrace?" Enter the town theme made to give you a panic attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJbuHUbw8k

liking the comments on this one

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
deathloop took a while to get going but it got it's gotten its hooks into me pretty good

arkane's finally put together a cast of characters with actual personality

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
deathloop’s invasion mechanic is neat at first, but when you move into the late game and need to accomplish complex full-day objectives, getting jumped by an experienced Julianna is maybe more stress than I’m comfortable with

had to switch to AI invasions just so I don’t get goomba-stomped right out the gate. special mention goes to the madman who specced for melee kills, so I got rushed down by a shadowy machete swinging Julianna at 2x speed like something out of a creepypasta

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
isn't horizon another IP getting one of those idiotic TV adaptations

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
preparing for the golden run in Deathloop and sweating bullets because four twinked-out Juliannas are going to get a shot at me and statistically at least one of them is good enough to crack me like a wishbone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished deathloop at 25 hours

it was a solid-but-flawed experience and definitely ill-served by having so much advertising dumped on it (because the ps5 has no games). arkane definitely improved on combat/gunplay compared to prey and dishonored, all of the weapons crack really nicely and enemies practically queue up for it

i saw a lot of complaints about the braindead enemy AI and they're spot-on but i appreciated it in the long run. the later objectives span a whole day where 3 deaths will boot you back to square one, and i'd have been losing my mind if i had to contend with competent AI as well as the invaders

speaking of, i didn't really invade anyone else's game but i had several satisfying losses and defeats. i'm guessing that with the game going free last month, there were plenty of newbies mixed in with the gank squad, because i could definitely tell who'd been spending the last year loving up other players

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Cyberpunk sequel and 5 witcher games coming out lol

this release schedule is going to literally kill their employees

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't use my switch often but when i do it tends to really suck me in

spent almost a month on xenoblade 2 and now i'm bouncing between splatoon 3 and live-a-live

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
same, my switch leaves the dock once a year if that. all I’m able to do on my commute is try to sleep

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Because PS5 has no games my favorite past time is checking out various PS4 games and see how they run on PS5.

Anyone have any recommendations? Basically games that do not have official Pro or PS5 patches but run significantly better on 5 (For example Dark Souls 3)

the last guardian, definitely

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The big asterisk next to that one is that you need a disc version and you need to not download the latest update. Which will also cause it not to have some improvements and bug fixes.

even without the disc, a solid 30 fps is leagues better than the ps4

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i think it was a chip chizzum/ironicus LP of blood in the sand where 50 cents got on a helicopter with a minigun, and ironicus spent the whole length of time of the minigun section explaining some academic stuff about (gender disparity and violence? maybe?) and it ended with chip saying "I've killed at least 5000 people"

that's the one. i think ironicus was reading a dissertation about misogyny in hip-hop

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
akira yamaoka's had a weird career trajectory. he's a great composer even when he's not making music from putting scrap metal in a tumble dryer, but since silent hill he's mostly just taken work on SH also-rans and the occasional C-list title from Grasshopper

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it’s a hard game, with an easy mode

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Fix posted:

Dayum.

xenoblade 2 lasted me 135 hours (deduct 5-10 hours for time spent idling). these are very big games

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the end is just as saccharine as the rest of the chapter

DQXI was good overall but it did get wearisome how determined it was to prevent anything interesting from ever happening

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
DQ is a big get

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“highly detailed open world”

everything I’ve seen of GK’s open world has about as much going on as the first red dead redemption

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first plague tale ended very well so I’m really hoping this one doesn’t faceplant like so many other recent sequels

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

With Isaac talking more in the dead space remake, I wonder if he's going to ruin puzzles like Aloy. "I should probably shoot the monsters." "I need to aim for their limbs." "Oh yeah, I need oxygen to breathe. Better display my remaining air supply as a timer."

well there’s a dreadful thought

I want to say it’s not likely though, given the different genres

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
been going through the god of war reboot in preparation for ragnarok, haven't touched it since the original release

it hasn't aged as badly as i thought it might, considering how glutted the "sony formula" subgenre has become. way too stats-y and atreus's VA usually sounds like he's just reading his lines instead of acting them, but the combat really pops once you get a few abilities and kratos's monosyllabic grumpiness is still a hoot

i don't expect ragnarok to change up the formula much but i'm wondering how atreus and kratos's dynamic will be, considering that the kid spends like 3/4's of the original being the starry-eyed inquisitive contrast to kratos. presumably he'll be starting the sequel already in "tired of your poo poo" mode

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

Playing the Claire 2nd run in RE2make and I'm mildly annoyed it skipped most of her opening cutscenes and also I feel like her weapons are mostly worse than Leon's? Was BP actually right that Claire sucks :ohdear:

iirc she has a rougher start (especially in 2nd run, which deprives you of some equipment in the early parts) but a stronger finish

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
resident evil 4 isn't just the best resident evil game, it has standing to be considered the best video game ever made

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i have exactly two negatives for RE4

1) no other control scheme is half as good as the gamecube's, to the point where trying to play it on a modern controller doesn't feel quite right
2) the reflecting-pool room in the castle is an utter backbreaker if you haven't been smart with your resources

everything else is beautiful and without flaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I had two controllers that succumbed to stick drift and a third that now rattles like a cup of dice whenever the rumble feedback goes off. Sony is a joke