Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I appreciate the thread change VG. I lurked in the old one and posted occasionally, but the atmosphere was not great so I eventually stopped trying.

Is Yakuza Like a Dragon a good starting point for that series? Or is it too much of a spin-off to be a good intro? I’ve been interested in that series for a while but I have no idea where to start at this point, and Ishin looks rad so I’d like to get at least one Yakuza game under my belt before I pick that up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Arist posted:

Like a Dragon is an RPG and most of the other games are beat-em-ups. I'd start with 0.

fridge corn posted:

Start with either Yakuza 0 or Yak LAD, both are great starting points actually

Thanks! I think I’ll try 0 first, I’m kind of burned out on RPGs lately after finishing Cyberpunk and jumping straight into Elden Ring.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I agree that starting with 0 is the best choice, but starting with YLAD or Judgment is fine too. They're all pretty good at easing you into the setting without any confusing major callbacks.

My route through the series so far is Y0 -> YK1 -> YK2 -> Judgment -> Y3 -> Y4 -> YLAD -> LJ -> Y5 and the spoilers you mentioned are so minor and vague that they're really not going to ruin anyone's good time. Like, I've yet to play Y6 but from context gleaned in YLAD I know Kiryu is in hiding and a Korean guy dies but both of those things happen a lot throughout the series so its not really a big deal :shrug:

I had no idea that Judgement was even in a the Yakuza series, but it’s on my list of games to check out. Good looking out, I’ll definitely make sure I play that after 0 (and 1-2 if I get that far).

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Can you actually get just a month of PS+ premium? When I looked into it earlier this year it told me I had to pay more because my existing PS+ was discounted, so I kind of gave up on it. But it looked like it was an annual thing.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Modern CGI can be incredible, but the major studios overwork the hell out of VX teams these days. The artists go through crunch scheduling and sometimes aren’t even credited properly for their work, iirc Marvel is notorious for this kind of thing.

It’s basically the same as the crunch that AAA game developers go through, but you can’t patch a movie once it’s out in theaters like you can with a game.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Noob Saibot posted:

Imagine wanting call of duty games approved by the CCP

I would imagine this would turn out like the episode of South Park where Japan used Pokémon to brainwash American children so that they could invade the USA.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The only good system for JRPGs is the SNES because it has Super Mario RPG, hth

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’m genuinely surprised that Salazar is still in the game, I really hope that means that they kept some of the goofy stuff from the original. The Chief looks like The Undertaker now, that’s a good sign :allears:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Aipsh posted:

Gonna get REmake 4 and gonna be thankful I didn’t get any of the four thousand other versions that came out since the GameCube

Missing out on pointer/gyro controlled versions isn’t something you should be thankful for, they’re the best way to play RE4

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I started up RE7 through PS4 collection of games that PSN gives access to and I’m enjoying it quite a bit. Enough to buy a disc copy to get the PS5 version update, which I almost never do.

There’s something about this spooky house that I can’t get enough of, this REnaissance we’re in right now rules. I’m assuming that my PS4 save should work fine in the PS5 version, I didn’t have any trouble with my save the the PS5 update for RE2 dropped. And if it doesn’t I’ll just play it again on the PS5 version :dance:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Fifteen of Many posted:

A friend told me that the first thing he does when starting a new game is mute all the sound and I feel like this is the sort of thing you’d learn about a serial killer after the fact. Truly inhuman poo poo, very alarming!!!

Does he literally sit there and play in silence? Plenty of folks mute games and listen to podcasts and audiobooks while they play, it’s not that weird. I don’t personally do that but I have friends that do.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah sorry your friend is behind saving, that’s insane.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’ve been on a huge Resident Evil kick that started with REmake last fall on Gamecube, so I’ve been eating good with ongoing REnaissance. Right now I’m playing RE7 and I just got to and interesting spot.

Without getting into spoilers, I was prompted to make a choice that seems like it would have story impact. Is it worth playing the game a second time and making the opposite choice the second time? Or is it more of a “watch the other ending on YouTube” situation? I’d like to play it again because this game rules, but I took a break from Elden Ring and I’m itching to get back into that.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I was interested in MW2 when they announced that they were bringing back some of the maps from the original MW2, but the file size of the game pretty much killed it for me. Not only does it take up more than 10% of my hard drive space, it requires more than 10% of my monthly data cap from ISP (gently caress data caps) just to download it, that’s just too much to justify for one game.

I’ve been loving the compression on PS5 that makes the installs smaller than on PS4, but this sounds like a huge step backwards to me. I thought the modern consoles meant we were done with these gigantic file sizes.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Casnorf posted:

how much of your data cap does playing online games take

Surprisingly little. But we do get close to our 1 TB cap with a family of people all using the internet over the course of the month. ISPs are lovely in my area, I only gave two options in my city and they both have data caps with fees for going over. It sucks but it’s not something I can control, and doubly sucks that some of these tentpole releases are so huge.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Lmao why even bother producing the discs at that point

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Lmao who is this commercial even aimed at? Gamer dads that would be buying God of War anyway?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I felt bad for Lebron’s kids, their acting was somehow deemed too bad for Space Jam 2

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah this isn't the 80's anymore, you can't be calling yourself the War Pups or Bullet Farmers or The Wretched and expect anyone to take their story seriously. They'd be too seriously looking at the camera saying that's a ridiculous name and then get an arrow in the throat.

People naming their group something stupid is more realistic than mushroom zombie people, letting a name break your immersion in that kind of setting is silly.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

wrong bish. I love Bioshock 2, it's the best of the 3

I thought I was the only one, Bioshock 2 gang rise up.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Is there a point for most people where Elden Ring starts to click and you feel confident in what you’re doing? The only From game I’ve played before is Dark Souls, but I didn’t get very far in that game because one of my buddies told me it’s not worth playing without a Wiki open to tell you what to do.

I’m about 17 hours into Elden Ring and I’m really digging the freedom of exploration and gameplay, but I have no idea what I’m doing in terms of equipment, weapons, or leveling up abilities. I started with a Warrior class because it looked beginner friendly, and so far I’ve been focusing on Vigor, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity. I think I want to start experimenting with magic, and it seems that Intelligence is the way to go based on the spells that look interesting to me at the shops. Is the game ever going to explain any of this or do I need to start digging into Wikis and build guides?

I do know that it’s possible to respec but I haven’t gotten that far yet, so I’m not too worried about screwing up.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Fifteen of Many posted:

In general the stat stuff isn’t super clear in game. Basically you’ll want to find a weapon that feel good and then level your stats around that/survivability. Dying too fast? Bump vigor. Have a cool hammer that has A STR scaling? Boost STR. Need more stam to get more swings or block more? Endurance! Upgrading your weapons directly at the blacksmith will give you the most bang for your buck early on since scaling tends to be lower early on, but you may want to glance at a wiki to see if a weapon you like eventually scales better at high levels.

These games aren’t necessarily designed to need a wiki, but to engender community discover/sharing early on. “Hey anyone figure out this weird stat? Oh cool this weapon becomes great at +10,” that sort if thing. But coming in after it’s been out a while a lot of that is helpfully aggregated into wikis so they become a default go-to.

I’ve also been hoarding smithing stones because I’ve been afraid to waste them on an early game weapon. When you say a weapon scales at higher levels, I could theoretically have a weapon now that will still be good towards the endgame? I have a handful of weapons that seem good (Twinblade, Bloodhound’s Fang, and some random other things), I’ll need to start using some of these smithing stones on them.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Elden Ring is the first Souls/From game that I’ve really gotten into, I’m 25 hours in and it’s really gotten it’s hooks into me. That being said, I don’t love how little the game explains some of its systems. It’d be nice if there was something optional in the menus that explains things like weapon scaling that aren’t super obvious.

Most of it can be figured out through trial and error, but as someone that doesn’t have a ton of time for gaming I’d rather have a resource available so I don’t waste my only hour of game time for the day. I’m just going to look it up on the internet anyway, I’d rather that sort of thing just be in the game. But I do love the game and how hands off it is with the player, overall it’s an incredible experience. I’m already trying to decide which From game to play next, I’m thinking Bloodborne because it’s free on PSN

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Casnorf posted:

yeah thats a cool building but have you ever met a masshole its just not worth it

I grew up in Massachusetts and yeah it’s really not. The most progressive place with weird backwards rear end people, it makes no sense.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Fifteen of Many posted:

Why did Days Gone get middling reviews? The game’s writer/director knows: THE WOKERATI!

https://twitter.com/john_garvin/status/1600353225840144385?s=46&t=nlhPMZXKXRt-wDXXkD0-QA

Cool I didn’t realize my alcoholic uncle worked on that game

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Days Gone, more like Game is Gone because no one bought it

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

People should spend more time talking about Bioshock 2 than Infinite, 2 is the peak of the series. It didn’t have a memorable storyline but it was the most fun to play out of the 3.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They should have called BioShock 2: BioShock the lost world because it had the exact same desperate sequel energy as Jurassic Park

That would make sense if Bioshock 2 was bad, but it owns so nope this is wrong.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Ken Levine must be a genius because we’re still talking about his dumbass video game almost a decade later

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

my favorite look for reimagining pixel-art games is the cartoony, almost plastic-toy-ish look that the remaster of Link's Awakening had, but i dont think that'd be too popular

I really like the LA remake’s art style, the Pixel-HD thing Square Enix has done for games like Live A Live and Triangle Strategy is really nice too. I think LA’s design was like Wind Waker in that most people enjoyed it, but there was a vocal contingent that REALLY hate it. At least that’s the sense I got, it could be that the majority of people really didn’t like that art style.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The Perfect Element posted:

That's the thing, it's more or less impossible to tell how much game is left, and what proportion of the map I've uncovered!

Actually one of the things that's draining me is now I have uncovered so much of the map, and it's so drenched in icons, I look at it to see where I could go next and I get a little choice paralysis.

I have elected to go back to the Manor, where I can now clown on those giant hands. I was so scared of them before that I definitely haven't explored that area fully.

I am right around the same level/area you are, and I just ran straight through the manner without fighting those things. I share you sentiment though, I’m 40 hours into the game and I’m not sure if I care enough to finish it. The game is terrific but it’s also exhausting at points.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Dewgy posted:

Ellie being able to breathe them without consequence is a pretty key thing a bunch of times both in the first game and in the sequel.

My guess is that they’ll replace the spores with a generic doomsday disease and she’ll still be immune to it

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’m excited to see what you all think of the PSVR2. I’ve had bad experiences getting dizzy playing with VR in the past so I’m not in a rush to get one at launch, but the specs make it sound promising.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Nuts and Gum posted:

Do you remember what system/game? Some of the early stuff was very rudimentary.

I’ve definitely tried the original PSVR at a friend’s, although I don’t remember exactly what I played on it. Mostly tech demo kind of stuff? I’m pretty sure I tried an Occulus too, that wasn’t as bad but the only thing I played on it was Beat Saber.

From what I understand the biggest issue to overcome with dizziness/motion sickness in VR is frame rate, which PSVR2 prioritizes. So I’m optimistic, the bigger hurdle might be getting my wife to let me buy it.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Hoffadoff posted:

The article I read said they wanted to sell 5 million copies and are only projected to sell 2 million within the next year so I don't think it even hit 40%. It sucks. I was really hoping it was gonna be a great game. Oh well hopefully the dead space remake can not disappoint as well.

A sales target of 5 million copies for a new IP in the horror genre sounds absurdly ambitious. Does any horror game property ever sell that well (outside of Resident Evil)?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

WHY BONER NOW posted:

How long do you guys think Leon will keep his sweet bomber jacket in the re4 remake? He loses it way too early in the original

In the trailer he isn’t wearing it when he meets Ashley, so I wouldn’t get your hopes up

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Thankfully I will be buying neither Atomic Heart nor Hogwart's Legacy, because I am taking a bold principled stand for the things I believe in, until that becomes a personal inconvenience to me and I invent whatever plausible deniability is required to avoid criticism.

This is what I go through every time my wife says we should get Chick Fil A

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’m still slowly making my way through Elden Ring and I think I’m done clearing out Caelid. I just did the Divine Tower of Caelid and fought the Godskin Disciple in the basement, oh my god gently caress that guy. I beat Radahn in 3 tries but this rear end in a top hat took me like 3 days. I looked it up afterwards and saw that I’m not alone in struggling with that section, everything was going fine up until that part though. Now I think I need to grind a bit before I move on, I’m right around level 85 at this point.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

Episode 2 of HBO’s TLOU was good but it really let the cat out of the bag in regard to wether the show writers actually played the game. No crafting, only one melee attack, and Joel has an assault rifle already? The gently caress? If they’re going to have the characters literally recite the script word for word from the game they can’t just take “artistic liberty” with every other aspect of it. They also threw out the comic book collectibles. The characters should be spending more time looking through cupboards and stuff for them at least. I mean gently caress that.

Wrong they gave Ellie a comic book to use as toilet paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I’m mounting my LG OLED to my living room wall this weekend, what game should I play first to celebrate? I’m still working my way through Elden Ring so it’s probably going to be Elden Ring, I really need to finish it before RE4 remake drops in March.