Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Here on the first page.

Play your backlogs because 2023 and 2024 look cray cray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

bop bop perano posted:

Tomorrow outer wilds becomes a ps5 game and therefore the best ps5 game

You need to get back into the discord because I need you to chat with me about Annapurna games!!!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Supraland is an interesting game. It's start off simple but they keep gradually giving you upgrades and more tools for movement and puzzle solving.

There's some Portal inspirations in this. VG you gotta check this out.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Outer wilds for ps5 is up.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2470-PPSA08101_00-OUTERWILDSSIEA00

You might have to grab the dlc upgrade separately.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP2470-PPSA08101_00-OWEOTESIEA000000

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

univbee posted:

This reminds me of one of the more amusing boxsets Squaresoft put out, for FF's 25th anniversary they put out a boxset in Japan including physical copies with custom disc art of every mainline "numbered" FF that was available at the time, 1 through to 13 (not including X-2).

Note the odd one out, FF3, which only had a PSP version at the time, so couldn't be made on a normal disc. You could play every other game on a backwards compatible PS3 (or 1-12 on a PS2 with a hard drive unless you skipped 11), but not that one.

I have this actually. Scored it pretty cheap years ago. It's kind of a nice collection piece. But yes, it's lol that it has all these discs and then there's one psp umd.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Casnorf posted:

be ye fairly warned the fish is only slightly less insufferable in real time

The upside is there is actually more people like me keeping the fish in line in real time.

I forget to check on this forum to corral him.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Shipbreaker seriously rules.

I never get tired of cutting all the important joints and the parts slowly drift apart.

I think I'm getting the hang of the cycle now so I'm just gonna cut one ship a day or something and eventually I'll finish that career mode. Feels like it'll take a long while to make it to grandmaster ship and pay off the debt.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

VideoGames posted:

I installed Stable-Diffusion (image AI stuff) and wrote:

"Kirby the pink ball as a summon from Final Fantasy X"

And this was one of the creations :)

You should try Kirby the pink ball as Sin from Final Fantasy X

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Wake up babe naughty dog dropped new the last of us gifs

https://giphy.com/naughty_dog/the-last-of-us-part-i/the-last-of-us-day-2022

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I better get their top loving tier

They're gonna assign a personal support guy to me

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The ps5 has access to two Soulsbourne games the other platforms don't get plus the best version of Elden Ring, so a ps5 is the best deal in gaming.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

series x has the better version of elden ring now with everything patched but the other 2, absolutely.

e: or potentially it's the steam deck cos of the shader caching lol

The performance is better but you still get basically the entire Asian player base on Playstation. Souls games will always win on Playstation.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I can't believe bopbop keeps forgetting about the coolest Playstation place: the ps goon discord.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I already tried out Playstation Stars and got a $5 gift card.

Just be warned it'll apply the funds directly to your account immediately. Which is nice but you can't gift a code to someone else.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Barreft posted:

Yeah can anyone explain this to me like explaining crypto for the first time? From what I saw you barely get anything per full game, like buying 100 games to get a $20 gift card or something and that can't be right

Its a 4% back effective rate so it only takes $125 spend to make $5.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

The Assassination of The Saddest Rhino by the Coward PlayStation Plus

The assassination of the Playstation goon discord by the coward bopbopperano

Come back in the discord, coward!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

John Romero posted:

how have they not announced the ps+ library games yet

Probably next week. I was hoping they'd do the one announcement at the end of the month for all ps+ but likely they'll do ps+ extra/premium next week since the week after is when they would go live.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Can you actually get just a month of PS+ premium? When I looked into it earlier this year it told me I had to pay more because my existing PS+ was discounted, so I kind of gave up on it. But it looked like it was an annual thing.

It always wants to convert the remainder of your current subscription to ps+ premium.

The only way to have a month is to buy a month of ps+ essential with no current subscription (that's the base tier) and then upgrade that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Univ is there some bias because the Xbox series x is a bit better to find in stock/on store shelves than the ps5 even as of today?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

PS5 owns. I want to never stop playing it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

It would be better than using twitch for playing jackbox with friends too.

Edith Finch is a banger

We gonna get everyone together to play the new fibbage?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

If Nioh Collection is coming then that should include a native PS5 port of Nioh 1.

Does that matter? For most people no but you can't actually play the native PS5 version unless you get the collection because Nioh 1 remaster was never released separately.

I happen to like the original quite a bit so yay.

The rumor was just Nioh 2. And there's a ps5 version of nioh 2 without the dlc. So try not to get hopes too much up.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

We've got a play for Playstation folks to play colla dooty mw2 together:

https://discord.gg/hVEtN8Zy

Just join our Playstation goon discord, scroll down to game discussions and join the call of duty mw2 thread.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the new REVillage DLC up on the store yet? I haven’t been able to see it. I know it’s out tomorrow but I’d like to preload it if poss.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0102-PPSA01556_00-GEDLC00000000001

You mean this? I bought it like a month or two ago.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I said come in! posted:

PS+ is a terrible value that has gotten worse over the years. I've been subscribed since it went live on PlayStation 3, and in that time it has significantly cut back on benefits and free games while increasing in cost. Sony's subscription services are all significantly worse than Microsoft's.

Meanwhile at Xbox games with gold:

*literal trash fire games and cut from 4 games to two games*

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

fridge corn posted:

My ff14 sub runs out tomorrow and then there is an entire week before tactics ogre comes out. There is literally nothing interesting happening between now and then :(

Entrophy Centre or Shattered Remastered?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Decades posted:

I pretty much gave up playing games a few years ago because I got busy with work and was a bit disappointed with my xbox one. In that time I also started thinking of games as a vice or a waste of time. I worked from home during the covid lockdown, felt trapped and got pretty depressed. I killed some time with a switch and animal crossing, as was the thing to do at the time. That lead to BOTW and then some good xbone games - mainly Control, Dark Souls 2, Doom Eternal, and Nier Automata, which all really impressed me in different ways.  

The games were good, but things still felt a bit out of balance. While I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with interacting with a screen all day for both work and recreation for some people, it was not working out for me. For summer 2021 I pretty much put the games back down in order to maximize my time spent outside interacting with nature while not glued to my work laptop. This worked pretty well, but it wasn't awesome, and I missed my vidya games. Was this the new life balance I would need to accept as an adult?

I decided nuts to that, and quit my good stable computer touching job. I enrolled in a year-long horticulture certificate program, got a crappy landscaping job, worked my way up and jumped around a bit, and now have a very cool and challenging job working full time with a nice local tree company. Now I do enjoyable but physically difficult work outdoors, and get home each day with my body tired and my mind relatively fresh, ready to smoke a bowl and jump into games with the kind of guilt-free, liberated enthusiasm I hadn't felt since I was a kid.

I had always been an xbox guy, but I realized if I switched to PS this gen I would have access to the whole PS4 back catalog, which is pretty much new to me and includes some of the best regarded games ever. I saw a PS5 available on Sony's website and grabbed it (bump-having model, HFW bundle). I decided to leave it in the box until I finished my coursework to help me stay focussed. Now I'm less than a week away and this is the most excited I've been to spark up a new console since the original Xbox.

You should join the Playstation Goon Discord. The invite is in the OP. And we have discussions about lots of ps4 and ps5 games. And we can help find recommendations for you and help you through whatever game you're on!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

haveblue posted:

Demon's Souls has the worst boss runbacks and it's not an accident they got shorter in every subsequent game

World tendency was also complicated by not being fully under your control thanks to the server aspect

Its actually funny, in Demon's Souls the levels are usually the challenge or the 'bosses'(a lot of them are easily cheesed or easily circle strafed and their overall difficulty is lower among the souls games. ) but in Dark Souls 1-3 it's mostly about beating the boss.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Disco news!

https://medium.com/@artofrostov/to-fans-of-disco-elysium-concerning-the-situation-at-za-um-3e6bc46ea9c

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Ok, good to know. I'll just treat it like Netflix in my head.

In other news, the only downside to the PS5 is the trophy notification chime is loving bullshit. Just a whole can of dog dicks. Sounds like any other pop-up now. How the gently caress am I supposed to get my endorphin rush from meaningless digital panini stickers without that distinctive sound that made me briefly, oh so briefly, feel like I had done something meaningful with my life. Any more of this and I might actually go outside.

Welcome to the ps5! I miss playing games with you though. I know our time zone differences still doesn't help

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

univbee posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of Ragnarok especially since I happened to finally play God of War through to the end just a week prior, it's easily my Game of the Year. That said, I can't outright disagree with anything mentioned in this thread. I'm terrible at the game and played most of it on "Give me Balance" difficulty but somewhat late in the game I was starting to die a lot and brought the difficulty down a notch and then another notch close to the end. I will say that the optional bosses even on the easiest difficulty are hard as hell, though. Not sure how they compare to the ones in the first game because I haven't done those yet, but these ones I needed to be fully stacked including a secret set of high defense armor and fully leveling (where possible) it and the weapons.

As mentioned by others, I question the replayability of the game, given how drat long it is and how long certain sections of it are.

I will say one thing that all of Sony's narrative-driven games like this need is a sort of "speedrun" mode which unlocks when you've beaten the game once and lets you play in a way that skips all the cutscenes and "downtime". To use another game series as an example, Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy both have trophies tied to getting through them on Crushing difficulty, but the difficulty outright doesn't matter for significant chunks of the game (any time you're travelling or solving puzzles), including some entire chapters. Same with The Last of Us, if you wanted to "beat the game" on Survival (trophy on PS3 and PS4) you have to replay the prologue chapter. The difficulty you beat it on matters even though there's no combat or anything in that chapter.

I definitely agree, I just did the Uncharted 4 platinum and replaying it on crushing was half pointless because it's mostly platforming and puzzles. Thankfully you could do a lot of tricks to get the other trophies but it would be painful replaying the game for a second or third time.

It feels like we're getting slighty longer games but fewer of them per generation (look how long uc4 is compared to 1-3) which is fine but if you're replaying them they usually make for horrible pacing especially when you essentially know what's gonna happen.

At least gow:r platinum can be done in one very long playthrough.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm gonna use the paddles on my dualsense edge as replacement for L3 and R3 and it will be 100% worth the money.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Maybe I'm crazy but the season pass also includes a story dlc which presumably has new locations and new enemies which can mean new death animations.

I mean.... This isn't that unreasonable?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

The death animation dlc and the story dlc are sold separately.

Specifically, the season pass includes four dlc:

Some death animations are packaged with the wave survival, which might include new areas. But the other 13 are packaged with the hard mode difficulty dlc.

Huh so it is listed differently.

Its weird that they're doing marketing using 'death animations' though. Does this count as cosmetic dlc?

We've been damned as a (gamer) species ever since Oblivion Horse Armor.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I'm thankful for Playstation and trophies.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Morpheus posted:

I just finished Chorus, a game I heard almost nothing about, and dang, that was a good game. Doesn't try to overstay it's welcome or get bogged down in mechanics, just a fast-paced spaceship game with slick combat and an interesting plot with a supernatural twist. Drifting around capital ships while taking out turrets or spinning through the insides to destroy their cores, spinning this way and that to lose laser locks then teleporting behind targets to immediately obliterate them (nothing personnel), before I knew it I was finished the game.

When you come into a game with no expectations and almost no knowledge and just let it show you what it is and how it plays, it's great how much you enjoy it. Just let it do its own thing and enjoy it for what it is!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

We have a thread that would answer poo poo like that :shrug:

There's also a discord too, that would have been a bit more immediate as well.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Minidust posted:

Speaking of PS Plus deals, is there anything special you can do if you allow the subscription to lapse first (similar to the Xbox Game Pass conversion stuff)? My Plus sub runs out next month but I assume my best bet is to just renew with the current PSN discount.

I don't think there's any trick these days. Either buy psn funds or ps+ essential cards on a discount or take advantage of this black Friday 25% off.

If you're already a ps+ premium member for example it just takes two ps+ essential (the original 12 month ps+ cards) to get a whole year. So if you can get two for $80 total it gives you the $120 worth of the membership. (a 33% discount)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The rumor on Callisto Protocol is that it's a 12 hour game and they're nervous that is too short for the AAA space, hence the tight embargo.

Not sure if that is true, don't agree with the reasoning, but there you go.

12 hours is probably the perfect length for a tense horror game.

Remember Alien Isolation? That's closer to 18 hours and people will say it just keeps going on and on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Does the dualsense controller have stick drift issues? It's seemed to move around. I haven't tried resetting it yet.

My original system controller developed a very tiny drift on the left/downish side (if you were moving right and let go of the joystick, your character would be looking left/down, it was really obvious on something super sensative like metal gear: Phantom pain) but it developed this after 18ish months.

No issue so far on my starlight blue controller and that's been with me for almost a year now.