Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
It's a reddit tier dumb meme that's ran its course, so expect ten more pages of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

https://www.square-enix-games.com/en_US/documents/update-final-fantasy-xvi

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I bought a ps5 just for ff16, but got psn+ and decided to try all the Sony big hitters I never got to before;

Uncharted 4: this game owned bones, the gameplay is super fun and I love the haptic and trigger feedback. Guns actually felt like guns to shoot! Blew my mind that this was originally a ps4 game. The graphics and animations are unreal.

Forbidden west: another stone cold classic, I got sucked into this straight away despite not having a clue about the plot. The game assumes you played the one before with no new player intros but that's a minor quibble. The gameplay rocks and once I accepted that this is a bow game and not a melee game my enjoyment went up ten fold. Again the animations and graphics are nuts.

Ghost of tsushima: didn't like this one for some reason. I wanted to because it's a beautiful game and I fell in love with the wind mechanic and standoffs, but the combat felt off. I guess I need to give this one more time before it clicks

Returnal: I didn't understand the hype with this one, seemed very basic and the environment very funereal and depressing after the colourful previous games. I liked the way it used half trigger and full trigger presses for different actions though, very cool and innovative. Probably need to give this one another chance, like tsushima.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

WaltherFeng posted:

Its one of the few action games where swordfighting is not about doing sick 20 hit combos before the enemy dies.

Unfortunately they forgot about this in boss fights.

Yeah it actually reminded me of an old ps1 game I played as a kid, bushido blade. One clean hit and its all over, both for you and your opponents.

I think I struggled with larger groups, panic mode kind of situation where I know I have all the tools I need but get jumbled up, and zigged when I should have zagged.

That fleshy haptic feedback when your blade cuts some poor goon down is brutal

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Microsoft gobbling up Starfield is so lame :smith: I will never buy an xbox

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Same actor (Ralph Ineson) as Lorath in D4 so you get that silky-yet-gravelly luscious voice work

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

FF16 is a good game that is almost entirely carried by its boss fights. I just wish its performance mode was actually a performance mode and not some blurry 720p45 abomination.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Microsoft has been rather hands-off with management for their recently acquired studios. Maybe the scale of Acti-Blizz will necessitate a different approach but I think predictions that Phil Spencer will somehow swoop in and change the corporate culture of these developers (and for the better) is perhaps some wishful thinking. They let Arkane totally hang themselves on Redfall and that was supposed to be their biggest hype release for the Spring.

They seemed to be rather hands off with 343 studios too and now their golden goose is dead. If Halo was better managed they would not be trying so hard to buy ABK. That's my spicy take on it anyway. In an alternative universe Halo would continue being the colossus it was during the Bungie era, and it would help to move a lot more Xbox consoles. Modern Halo is just nowhere near the quality of Sony's first party exclusives.

I guess Starfield is going to fill that void.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah to me Exoprimal seems like one of those 'do whatever you want on Fridays' projects at Capcom that happened to get close to the quality bar needed for a full fledged release so they kept working on it. I don't think any of the actual A or even B team at Capcom were involved with it beyond advisory roles.

Sometimes it's good to experiment. Not every game Capcom does has to be an AAA behemoth.

Speaking of Capcom, you just know they're quietly beavering away at MHW2. Wish they would drop some hints, anything at all about it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Rumours are that capcom is announcing a major game from a major franchise at this year's TGS

Monster Hunter World 2 here we go :pray:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

My ps5 has crashed twice right at the end of a 25 minute boss fight in FFXVI. Its an insanely long and intense boss so I'm convinced its overheating because the drat thing is probably full of cat hair. I'm really kinda terrified to open it up because I'm kind of a dumbass and I think I'll end up breaking it though. This is bumming me out.

It's not too bad, remember that PS5s are produced in a setting where workers have very little time to assemble them. It's a simple design for ease of manufacture. Just take your time and watch a youtube guide.

Do not use a vacuum cleaner as it generates static which is very bad. Use a can of compressed air to clear out any debris or cat hairs and the like.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

If it does then they are madmen, born of chaos

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Like, I really hope Monster Hunter World 2 is crossplay.

Me too but be careful what you wish for. I played ps4 then pc a year later and mhw pc was full of cheaters and hacks. Monster one shots, barrel spam, 99 parts drops etc. The worst thing was that goons here in the mhw thread just would not accept why it was a bad thing and I had to stop posting in that thread altogether.

Console only cross play is the way to go imo

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The side quests are very dependant on what you want from them. They are great at lore building and getting to know the world and characters with. But they don't massively expand player power like other games tend to do. So that's where a lot of the conversation diverges

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The mannequin style conversations blight many games

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

JBP posted:

You control a squad of marines and they move as a single blob. It can be frustrating not getting an angle on the right weapons sometimes but none of the minor problems with the game dampened my enjoyment of it. Some of the systems and stuff feel a little basic, but as I said didn't hurt my enjoyment at all. When things get spicy and you're directing suppressing fire and a flamethrower to cover while you get a sentry up it absolutely rules.

Game is super atmospheric too.

The coop one is Aliens Fireteam Elite (I think) which is meant to be just ok.

Reminds me a little of Aliens vs Predator extinction for the original xbox. I bought it way back in the day thinking it'd be like the PC shooters and got a top-down strategy game instead

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Maybe they should focus on porting the ps5 game to ps5, loving idiots

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Artelier posted:

Goon friends. I did it. I have ordered a PS5. And FFXVI. Hopefully they come this weekend or early next week!

I was browsing the PS store in preparation and saw that there's a Castlevania SOTN + Rondo of Blood double combo which I was not aware about (and assume it works on PS5?); are there any other non-obvious games like that? Like classics that might have been rereleased/remade under the radar? Or non-obvious applications of the PS5 in general?

Be sure to get PSN+, there's just way too many awesome games for free to pass up on it. I've been enjoying the hell out of a lot of it. Unbeatable value for money imo

Don't pass up on astro's playroom when your ps5 arrives too, it is a revelation if you've never used a ps5 controller before

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

cubicle gangster posted:

I read some reports on BG3 with a controller - it totally switches out the interface when you plug one in, and is better / more streamlined than divinity 2. Starts with a customisable radial menu, but you can add as many as you want and switch between them with l1 & r1.
The only knock against it is that it buries some information in the streamlining, but the person said this wasn't a big deal (without being specific about what gets buried)

I'm in for BG3 day one!
I get back from a trip on the 7th and have a couple extra days off work until the 12th, going to be nice sinking into it.

Yeah I've been playing it with a controller (a ps5 controller in fact) and it's very good, very well fleshed out and perfectly playable. It even has force feedback.

It does have some negatives compared to m/kb, namely that the character inventory screens are worse and are harder to parse at a glance, but I imagine it'll get adjusted with some better feedback. Controller support wasn't really fleshed out properly until much later in the EA period and there's still a lot of room for changes.

I imagine when the PS5 version comes out next month it'll have a few more rounds of UI tweaks to accomodate controllers. Right now it's about 95% there.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Thundercracker posted:

How horny is BG3? I'm trying to convince my wife to play it and she loved Dragon Age Inquisition for how horned up it was

It's way hornier than I was expecting, even taking into account the general horniness I heard all about. At one point my party stumbled across a very 'interesting' tryst and had no choice but to raise arms. It's great

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Fix posted:

Who, then?

Sometimes it's at state-level. Australia, Germany, China and Saudi Arabia are huge pains in the rear end for this kind of thing. Some games have big changes just to accommodate them (puppets instead of skeletons, generic symbols instead of swastikas, green blood instead of red, robots instead of people etc). Others just get banned altogether.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

a primate posted:

Is Far Cry 6 a trash game? It feels absolutely ancient. I bought it for $20 Canadian and I can’t imagine paying more.

The last game I played was God of War though so :negative:

I couldn't play it for more than ten minutes, it was just so generic and formulaic. Even the writing and individual spoken lines. Almost like it was AI-generated from design-by-committee samples.

It is a very tired series, it needs to be put out to pasture. There doesn't need to be a 7.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

This is Boulder. it's no use. We can't hold out any longer!

Otogi, another game by FROM on the xbox, had a ton of lines repeated over and over by npcs in the game

It seems to be one of FROM's little things

Otogi was also very very difficult, almost a proto souls game (I am aware king's field exists)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Significantly harder and more chaotic than BG3.

Yep. Everything is on fire most of the time. It's great.
It's a very fun game and if you like one of DOS2/BG3 you will absolutely love the other too.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

TLOU2 is a misery simulator that's up its own arse too much

Make more Uncharted instead, that had way more charm and less mopey whiny nonsense

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You fuckin nerds and your ludowhateverthefuckthatis. Did you all discover a dictionary or what. 99% of vidya games is casually killing hundreds of mooks, yet it's only a big deal when it's uncharted that does it

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Crimson Desert looks wonderful. I had never heard of it until now.

Shame there's no Monster Hunter announcement. Was expecting one.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

That mech's shoulders look so happy

efb

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

I liked the controller UI in BG3 way better than the infinite buttons across constant screen hogging giant panels of bullshit kb+m UI for my time with the game, with the only exception being if I wanted to throw something from inventory on a character who was carrying a lot of poo poo and I had to tab through multiple wheels of nonsense to find the thing I wanted to throw.

I haven't tried it yet but I heard that the patch that just came out had some UI improvements for controller

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

oversteps posted:

This is the most positive thing I’ve heard someone say about Pariah, and the word “replayed” isn’t even the thing doing a lot of lifting here

Isn't Pariah a game from like 18 years ago that was supposed to be a halo 'killer'

That period of time was filled with them. Pariah, Chrome, Breed, etc. Loads of halo knock-offs that aped its aesthetic and none of them got anywhere near the gameplay point.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dewgy posted:

It’s probably just not optimized worth a poo poo tbh

This is what I think too. Fortnite was updated to UE5 with both nanite and lumen and it's running 60fps at high resolutions in an open world. It can be done.

I've been playing Remnant 2 on PC as well, which is also a UE5 game. Launch version ran like dog poo poo, it's actually had a few patches and I honestly feel like it runs maybe 25-50% faster now. They did a lot to optimize it post-launch. So there is work to do with the engine and I think developers are generally in their getting-used-to-it phase right now

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 26, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Gave Balteus a few tries. I think I have a strat. Now, to sleep on it.

Is that strat 'scream endlessly while assault boosting and spamming pulse blade'? Cos that worked for me, after about 200 tries.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Spending money on tens of thousands of man hours to build a new engine from scratch for every game doesn't make you a good dev it makes you a crap dev

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Extra poo poo added on is pretty much most engines in general.
Starfield uses the same engine as Morrowind in the same way Half Life Alyx uses goldsrc.

https://i.imgur.com/70ZqqG6.mp4

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I think my only complaint with AC6 is the lack of vibration on shooting the light and medium guns, it is hard to tell sometimes amidst the chaos if I'm firing or reloading. The UI is there of course but it's not as readable as I'd like.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

at least one goon in the AC6 thread refunded it because of the helicopter

Their bloodline is weak

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

:yooge: skill issue

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I liked Remnant but it's so dreary and depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Cope. It'll be rated similarly and be as similarly popular to their Elder Scrolls and Fallout games.

You don't have to worry about it since it's not a PS5 game anyway.