Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rise of the Ronin sounds like Way of the Samurai and it's like they made a game just for me. I can hardly wait to see more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLUabduLOqg
The person playing it is just aimlessly running around but you do get some glimpses of the combat and the world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/WoLongOfficial/status/1570729458541113345
Wo Long demo out and available until the end of the 25th.

Direct link to the US store page:
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP4108-PPSA09294_00-TRIAL00000000000

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The demo's awesome. I enjoyed it immensely.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Morale is basically leveling up without leveling up. Gives you an advantage over enemies as you play while giving harder enemies one over you. Fortitude is just a minimum morale level. So when you die you revert to whatever that is instead of 0.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I enjoyed the Wo Long demo a ton. Nioh was never meant to be a Souls-like. Like others have said Souls puts a lot of emphasis on exploration and filling in the gaps yourself. Nioh and Wo Long are action games and everything is built towards this purpose. With that design philosophy in mind it accomplishes what it sets out to do. The games are nothing alike except they tend to be difficult and have respawning enemies when you rest. The Wo Long beta has problems like healing being far too slow, dodge feeling off and the parry window being far too small but I enjoyed the heck out of the combat. Combat is about momentum, which the morale and spirit gauge reinforce. You defeat enemies, raise your morale and in each fight you are trying to lower their spirit gauges while raising yours. Break their spirit then do a killing blow - it's a lot like Sekiro that way.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 19, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rinkles posted:

PS4, and Xbox One, discs of Cyberpunk 2077 are $10 at GameStop. Next gen upgrades are free.

https://www.gamestop.com/video-games/products/cyberpunk-2077---playstation-4/202330.html

I did this when 1.5 came out and it was the best 10$ I spent. Game's well worth that amount now.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Was kinda hoping that God of War's NG+ would remove the Blades of Chaos because the moment you get them in the story was so loving awesome and impactful that using them up to that point robs it of all of that. So I just restarted and am going to blitz through the story and if I'm feeling up to it just resume my NG+ game on my 100%'d save.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxcnwH8TPEg

Gonna build my acme 100t hammer trap then beat you up with my umbrella. It looks pretty neat! I like the monster and equipment designs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I kinda just wanted the ship combat with a little more depth part of a whole other pirate game. Like Risen.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I forgot how frustrating the Valkyrie fights were in God of War. All of them have unblockable attacks that require you to dodge out of the way of (and the correct way since you don't have i-frames) with a billionth of a second heads up. Doesn't help that the way you heal is the most unintuitive, half-assed way. But that's just a series staple at this point.

Edit: I hope the designers learned how to telegraph attacks better in the sequel instead of unblockables and regular attacks sharing the same wind-up animation. It's what makes these fights not all that fun.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 30, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's still an incredible game but those fights show some dings in the combat system. That annoying dashing they all do. Either it goes into a normal attack or an unblockable and you have very little time to react. I'm on NG+ so they're a little bit harder but I think I'll use that talisman that freezes time and see what I can do.

It's funny having level 5 and 6 weapons but my armor are level 9 red artifacts of legend. I wonder if they'll have any kind of save import for Ragnarok or will Kratos fall into the river of Hel and get depowered.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh right, in God of War I forgot about those valkyrie attacks where they fly out of frame and land on you, doing a shitload of damage. Mash O to stop dommy mommy from depleting your entire healthbar with a single attack

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Different between God of War's Easy and Normal difficulties in NG+ is hilariously broken. Like not even bothered to playtest broken. Want to take 3-4x damage and fight enemies with at least 1000% more health? Go to Normal! Want to actually feel like the equipment you're paying 500k hacksilver to make and upgrade is worth it? Play on Easy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A Horizon coop multiplayer game sounds good and fun.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I bought that controller charger when I got mine. It has been extremely useful and good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's too sim-y for me. Skate was where I drew the line and when they removed legacy controls I just didn't want to bother.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/RE_Games/status/1582129468134473728

October 20th for the Resident Evil event. Looking forward to seeing more of RE4 Remake!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Final Fantasy 7 Remake was incredible and if they continue doing what they're doing Part 2 and 3 are going to be even better. Remakes that are just the same game but with better graphics are weak shlock made by cowards for cowards.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It apparently has an extremely toxic and bad view on mental health. I've seen a lot of people talk about that when they mention The Medium and Bloober team in general.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1585624500523397120

Bleh, this sucks.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I dunno how you can't relate to Kratos. Do none of you parents also tear villains in half and stomp their heads in while going out with your kid? If not what's wrong with you?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bioshock Infinite would have been a better game had it not been set to a white supremacist society then conflate the oppressed minorities with said supremacists because they went about wanting equal rights the wrong way (it's a gross misunderstanding of history and how people got equal rights and it wasn't done by voting or peaceful protest). I didn't care for Elizabeth all that much and the strongest aspect of the game was the art direction of the city itself. But the story was largely forgettable, the gameplay wasn't all that interesting and the politics of it were dogshit.

It was well-received at the time but I think once the new game period ended a few people started reevaluating it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/MissMikkaa/status/1589390551170023425

That's some dedication right there. Probably would have taken me 12 hours and 216 tries with the gamepad on regular difficulty, let alone on a dance pad.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Kratos is off to judea next to kill Jesus.

Jesus is Kratos. That's the secret the church doesn't want you to know about. He didn't die for our sins, he killed our sins by tearing them in half. The closest we've ever gotten to the truth was The Last Temptation of Christ.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked Elden Ring and Horizon about equally. I had issues with both but I was eating real good earlier this year.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Only bloat Horizon Forbidden West has is its equipment system. I disliked that aspect of the game and it'd really help if the culled that crap in favor of a more simplified selection of weapons that didn't overwhelm you with choice. Same goes for all the elemental types. The design team were cowards for not having a proper free-climb mechanic in their game too - specific handholds are outdated.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Best of luck to you trying to get into the window from the ledge your hanging from and not just jumping past it! Either way, next game should have free-climbing because it's better than hand-holds and the rocks look real pretty so I want to climb up them to get vista shots.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The ME3 endings were awful and the cap to a really mediocre game. If the multiplayer wasn't so fun that game would have been a total waste of time.

Oscar Wild posted:

Good. Elden ring is fantastic but I really appreciate when FROM really focuses on their level design.

I agree with this. I liked Elden Ring but its open world did absolute nothing for me but the dungeons they crafted were incredible and probably the best they've made.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

Basically any criticism of a video game story that involves the word “HBO” or “prestige” reads like this to me. Oh no, they’re trying to actually tell stories, how loving dare they

Add "self-serious" to that and I immediately check out. It's just like, I completely lost interest in anything you have to say about the game completely. You can not enjoy or like the story or how it's presented but self-serious is just this weird gatekeep-y word that makes you come off like an rear end.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/LukePlunkett/status/1600605448750567424

The saga gets even funnier. gently caress that guy.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cyberpunk 2077 is fantastic. I didn't care for the overall story but the character writing and a lot of the writing in the side stuff was really good. Top-notch atmosphere. Great MC that's a hybrid between established character and player-made, like Shepard in Mass Effect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Chainted Echoes is really good but I think I hate the combat. It feels like it's trying to do the persona thing of requiring you to use elemental weaknesses and status effects but it also adds this dumb overdrive bar you have to manage and TP is super tight. It's over-designed and overtuned. It copies Chrono Trigger the most but didn't bother with it's really good combat system. I'm glad there's a difficulty option for the enemies and to make the overdrive bar a non issue but I just don't like how the combat was designed. Not a fan of the way you level up either. In theory it's alright but in practice I don't like choosing abilities from a limited supply of points, equipping them then leveling up through use - it could have been streamlined through a traditional leveling system.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 12, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1602664856800436225

It's that time of year again!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Unsurprising stats

Despite not caring for the open world after it was all said and done I did search every nook and cranny in Elden Ring.

Just in case the link doesn't go to my stuff:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They really just saw all the hate for the valkyrie fights and said "hey, let's make all the fights fast paced and ultra aggressive! People really liked that with the plodding pace in which we had our players control Kratos!" in Ragnarok, huh? This combat is a major step back.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How everything hits like a freight train and everything swarms you. They made enemies like they were in the old games but didn't give Kratos the movement options or the player a view of the combat arena. And, like in God of War, the way you heal yourself if stupid and archaic. Just give me all my health back after combat encounters instead of having the easiest way to heal yourself is dying to an encounter and coming back with full health. Beats going around foraging for dumb green and red crystals.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think pixel art really needs to have a fake scanline overlay and then design them with that in mind otherwise it just looks ugly. Either commit or do a more stylized, hand-drawn look to it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does armor in Ragnarok even make a difference? I've been trying to put my finger on why exactly combat feels like a major step down for me and I think it boils down to enemies being super aggressive and hitting like trucks. Fodder garbage that's lower level than you still take a huge chunk of your healthbar if you get hit. Combat markers don't really help me much because enemies have different attacks and can string them together that dodging attacks that's coming behind you can lead you to dodge into it, if it's an area attack, or not dodge enough because you can't see it's a chain attack or one of those long wind-up things that catches you. It doesn't help that quick-turn requires two inputs, one of which takes your finger of the movement stick and it's just a mess. Runic attacks that doing come immediately or have a huge range that stun feel really useless too, since it looks like got rid of the iframes on some of them so using them is a massive risk with highly aggressive, swarming enemies.

The relationship between lock-on and auto-aim is also poo poo. Because enemies enjoy running off screen trying to reacquire them is a real hassle. Half the battle I"m spending trying to lock on to the right target while stickily moving between them. If I wasn't battle the camera as much as I do the enemies then maybe all this wouldn't matter.

I don't see how anyone playing this above the regular difficulty would find this at all fun or rewarding. Gonna lower the difficulty and just power through the fights. I'm just not getting the same kind of enjoyment I did out of it like I did in the first game. It feels like they wanted to bring back the enemy behavour of those first games but without the battlefield awareness that came with a pulled-out camera and super tight character movement.

Oh and the triangle stuff sucks. I never use it because it leaves you super vulnerable while charging it. Those automatic charge skills should have been level 2 upgrades, at most.

(Combat is the only thing I really have issues with, the game is really friggan good! Which is why I'm having such a strong reaction to the combat. I'm really enjoying everything else.)

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Turning Lock-on to Auto-Assist+ almost immediately eliminated all the problems I had with the combat in Ragnarok. That option keeps track of enemies that move out of your screen and turns the camera to face them in a way that isn't janky or sudden. It has made keeping track of the battlefield a whole lot better and my enjoyment of the combat has increased tenfold. Don't need to worry about enemies hitting like trucks because I can keep track of them better to avoid their hard-hitting attacks!

So yeah, turn horizontal sensitivity to 6 or 7 and set Lock-on to Auto-Assist+ if you're not feeling the combat like I was.