Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Just wanted to re-post this GIF because it absolutely rocks. I am a huge sucker for collapsible helmets in games/movies/etc. and this one absolutely takes the cake.

Have the other 2 I also like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I made it into the cave past the 2 tigers and I just got tired of dying in 2 hits.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Blind Rasputin posted:

My problem with Wo Long is actually a think Skillup said that he liked. He said From games are about exploring a wild place, an odyssey, and the fighting is just a part of that along the way. While Nioh games have levels that simply act as places to stage a bunch of enemies to fight, and it’s all about the fighting. But I really don’t enjoy a game where the sense of exploration and discovery and wonder is all half baked or completely nonexistent. And that’s the way Wo Long felt.

Most Souls-inspired games focus way too much on combat and literally nothing else which is why they can't ever compare for me. Nioh 2 and Surge 2 are the only ones I like but it's still a wide gap between those and the real deal.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Noob Saibot posted:

Jedi fallen order has the exploration and is probably the best souls clone

I enjoyed it enough to finish it and the levels were alright but there was zero reason to explore because there was nothing to find. They also needed to lean more into the lightsaber combat where regular mooks would be just cannon fodder. Boss fights were decent but there's absolutely room for improvement.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
That's one of the best parts of Deathloop for me :shrug:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

VideoGames posted:

I think Fallout3 is the leading reason why I wait to play games until they have all DLC together and why if I do play before this, I struggle to return to them to just do the DLC; like Frozen Wilds which I have owned since release and not played or the Spider-man DLC. (Echoes of the Eye did break this trend though :))

My favourite Fallout is Fallout 4 though. Cyberpunk 2077 is the neon fallout 4. ;)

I usually simply don't play a DLC if it was released after I've played a game. I was still hesitating with Echoes of the Eyes but then I remembered how amazing the base game was and was indeed not disappointed.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
IMO we should force everyone to use a hardware token for MFA :sickos:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I want to be excited for finally having a new Silent Hill anything but the remake trailer was quite bland. I liked Silent Hill f and Townfall trailers, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Augus posted:

thank god that instead of that we live in the world where I merely have to fly to Paris and buy expensive tickets then wait on a long-rear end line to get to squint at the tiny-rear end Mona Lisa from across the room for like a minute

And a woman trying to take a selfie with her iPad keeps trying to push me out of the bounded area, while I'm telling her if she doesn't mind I'd like to take 30 seconds to see it with my own eyes because I'm only here once in my life.

Ugh, not sure what that says about the video games analogy, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I definitely have to be in a particular mood not to immediately turn off any simulation-y strategy game upon seeing its UI. Some games manage to hide the fact that there's going to hours of learning before you can fully enjoy a game but that particular genre just goes full throttle from the start.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Finished GoWR after 42 hours. Ended up liking it a lot though that middle dragged a bit. The ending was well done and the transition to postgame makes me want to keep playing which almost never happens to me.

Disliked Atreus gameplay so much, but absolutely loved Freya as both companion and character in general.

I hope the next GoW is a PS5 exclusive, though. That are so many small improvements they could make.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Namnesor posted:

(...) so imagine my surprise when Freya is the post-game companion. Kratos, Mimir and Freya's dynamic is something great, the mature tenor of their conversations is refreshingly adult, so I'm excited to jump in and hear more idle chatter between the three of them.

:yeah: loving that so much as well

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I was kinda meh on Ragnarok until the mid point but things have been getting better and better since. I’m in the post-story part and everything that is not backtracking has been at least on par with the main story in terms of quality and relevance to the characters. Currently like another poster above I’ve discovered a whole new area (that I think is available before the very end of story, actually?) that feels like a hefty DLC, it’s pretty insane.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Ragnarok: I have the locked difficulty bug and I'm currently stuck on one of the very last postgame bosses because they just gave them soo much HP and even with basically all my gear upgraded as much as possible, they can kill me in a few hits. Even for optional postgame that feels crazily overtuned for what is called "Give Me Balance".

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Turn on boss checkpoints so you can start it from half health after you get it down there once.

Same as Esco. TBH I don't think I could defeat some of the bosses without the 50% checkpoint lol, at least not before my patience ran out

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Finished GoWR after 59 hours... it's actually my first platinum ever :eyepop:

Additional notes on those 13 hours it took after finishing the story:

The great:

- the Crater area, it is IMHO the best area in the game by far, I hope they do the next game in that style completely
- I really liked how the ending transitioned to the post-game
- additional continuation of the story, tying loose ends related to certain characters, MORE OF THIS in all the games!!

The bad:

- Muspelheim permutation challenge, I don't understand what were they thinking
- Give Me Balance feels like a wall with the last 2 optional bosses (King Hrolf Kraki, Gna)
- pointless fluff like the artifacts and lore shouldn't count towards 100%
- Freya and Kratos didn't end up together!!

e: sorry about spoilers!! not sure if it was a joke tho

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 25, 2022

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I get what people say about GoWR and I don't dispute any of it but as long as something else carried it for me, I didn't care much.

For every time I had to backtrack in Vanaheim, there were many more moments where I appreciated the voice acting, the character growth, the environment etc. I 100% think the game would be a much better game if they removed crafting, artifacts, hell, most of the collectibles wholesale, and made the levels more open, but I still enjoyed my time with it immensely despite all those.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

incorporeal posted:

I was mostly joking but funny you bring up browsing while watching TV. A few years ago I decided if I'm watching something and find myself taking out my phone a lot I just stop watching whatever I have on because clearly I'm bored with it. Turns out I just don't watch TV shows that much anymore haha.

Big :same: but I still watch quite a bit of TV/movies/anime, I just changed my approach towards them. Full attention or bust

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

HELL YES I am so ready to ditch the boy and turn this into the Kratos&Freya show :hehe:

Yup, probably my favorite part of the game and where it really started to click for me!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

emdash posted:

10-20 depending on your pace and completion level

10 hours? The first speedrun was 13 hours lol

It took me 42 hours to finish the story and a healthy amount of side content, then another 13 hours to 100% it, this was on Give Me Balance (except the final boss)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

bows1 posted:

The post he was quoting said they were 34 hours in, so he said 10-20 left depending not 10-20 total

:doh:, I need to read better

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Boy of Joy posted:

It’s a point and click adventure game, nothing out of the ordinary there. What is definitely not possible in a book are the choices you can make and dialogue responses leading to different outcomes. The writing is really good, also the amazing historical accuracy/references. I’m not even done yet and I’ve been moved by some of the events in the game so far. Not gonna be everyone’s cup of tea but my god it’s good if it appeals to you.

I'm far from being a history buff but the art, writing, and characters in this game were amazing. It took me by a complete surprise how engrossing the whole thing was. Took me ~20 hours to finish (took my time, though).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
HFW was alright, had some real highlights but unfortunately most of it felt like "MORE, BIGGER" to the point of diminishing returns.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sounds like it and GOWR have a bit in common!

They definitely do! I think, for me, the main difference is that GoWR is actually the end of that particular story (though it was originally planned to be a trilogy AFAIK) and feels like a proper journey because it manages to continue GoW 2018 AND end so well in those ~30 hours. HFW is not a short game yet it's still only the second game in the series! I also overall liked the story and characters more in GoWR compared to HFW, despite liking Zero Dawn's story a lot.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
What strikes me as crazy is that apparently my playtime of HFW is exactly the same as GOWR for the story + a bit of side stuff at 42 hours yet I felt like I was rushing HFW (somehow I managed to finish it before Elden Ring came out) and skipped most of the side content.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I can't loving wait for the next FromSoft game and ER only released this year.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Forspoken demo impressions: the powers look cool, sometimes feel cool to use. I chuckled at the fact that you equip stat and ability upgrades via painting your nails. Parkour is alright to good. The UI is pretty good looking but seems a bit over-engineered. I can't say anything about the story because the demo doesn't really go into it, though the teaser cutscenes they show you in the demo didn't really grab me.

The voice acting of the main character and the Cuff (her sidekick) is bad. The actors (especially Cuff) seem really disinterested, and the sound levels of speech and in-game music seem all wrong. This is probably also a problem of how it's put together with actions the player performs in the world. It doesn't seem to be in harmony with the rest. It's hard to get a good sense of the writing from this short time but what I've seen is average and I got absolutely bored of it in the 40 minutes I've played. The fluidity of the game is IMO by far the biggest problem, though. The poster earlier mentioning that 30 FPS is unplayable and 60 FPS feels like 30 in other games is spot on. The whole game feels like it's slowed down to 70-80% speed and it's like you're in a (bad) dream. The mind honestly boggles at thinking that it is acceptable for a game where you're often moving at high speed around the environment.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I beat Tunic on release and I agree it's mostly an amazing game. I enjoy games with punishing combat if it's rewarding but it's often not in Tunic. It's way overtuned. And the ending that most people will get first is also a ridiculous kick in the balls and I still haven't decided whether it rules or sucks lol

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'll take a peek at the updated demo because I was definitely very critical of it as it was and want to update my opinion since they at least seem to be listening to feedback.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I finished Cyberpunk 2077 last week and loved it. Despite my initial plan I finished large chunk of the content because I was enjoying it. Very good game. The ending I got made me sad. Not being able to romance Panam as fem V sucked!! So I think I'll do a much more compressed "romance Panam" playthrough after putting some distance in between.

e: hot take but not including third-person mode is one of the worst decisions IMO, such great options for self-expression wrt clothes and appearance customization but then you see it in the mirror in the bathroom twice per game lol

(speaking of which, mirrors not working unless you activate is so strange, especially on PC where you can crank the raytracing WAY the gently caress up and see characters reflected in other glassy surfaces but mirror? nope sorry can't do)

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 20, 2023

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
HDR in Elden Ring is really well made IMO. Cyberpunk 2077 can look incredible, too. It's like it was made for HDR displays.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

goblin week posted:

more like Fractions, which is how much of a second I spent thinking about multiplayer mode to a story based game. What an early 2010-rear end thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6oujRuwqx8

(despite the title it also touches on Factions 2)

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I considered buying the original PSVR but even before they announced PSVR2 and said games won't be compatible, I've decided that buying a VR headset that's limited to non-PC hardware is a big nope for me because PC is the only platform with any long-term viability (I know this is the PlayStation thread and I love exclusives as much as the next person but I don't love them because nobody else can play them anywhere else).

I have a Switch and I'm so sad that so many of those games are constrained to forever exist on that specific (and underpowered) hardware, and at the mercy of Nintendo deciding whether Switch 2 means you have to re-buy games, or if they will even make the games available at all.

So no, I won't be buying PSVR2. I might buy the next Valve Index because I finally have a computer that could run it, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

acksplode posted:

The community got PSVR1's weird headset with nonstandard tracking working with PC, I would bet PSVR2 gets the same treatment and with better compatibility. There's a nonzero chance that Sony delivers first class PC support eventually, given the inroads they're making elsewhere. But I definitely understand holding off since that's all conjecture. I didn't get a preorder until I saw a launch library that I'd be OK with even if Sony dropped PSVR2 development the week after it launches. I think I'll get my money's worth with what they're promising right now.

That's good to know because dead hardware makes me sad. However, the lack of official support is a deal-breaker for me, I think.

acksplode posted:

Switch emulation works great on my PC :) When I finally play Bayonetta 3 it'll be 4k at a consistent 60fps.

I did play a few Switch games emulated on my PC and I'm so glad that's an option! I want to play Bayonetta 3 and all the Xenoblade games but uuugh.

veni veni veni posted:

As someone who has had both PSVR and PCVR for years I think you are putting too much faith in PCVR.

That's possible because I don't own any headset. But what exactly makes you say so?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Dewgy posted:

Not who you responded to, but IMO the worst thing about the PCVR space is it’s incredibly expensive to get a good setup, and you’re generally going to be putting up with all the usual PC gaming jankiness like scattershot hardware support, performance issues, and your usual software conflict kind of crap.

VR is basically the ideal example of why console gaming can be a really good thing: The hardware is completely static and every game has to be built for it.

PSVR1 is, on paper, one of the worst headsets on the market right now. But games that come out for it are mandated by Sony to hit at least 60fps internally and not cause headset reprojection (the way the viewpoint moves when you move your head) to drop below 90fps, so the experience of actually playing the games is always going to be smooth, even if not the prettiest thing in the world.

You don’t get that with other platforms. If you have Valve’s Index or another PC headset they essentially expect you to throw more money into your computer to smooth out framerate problems, and Meta just straight up doesn’t give a poo poo because their core focus is taking your money.

The PSVR2 I think is going to be an even bigger leap forward, because the eye-tracking based foveated rendering is a hardware feature of the headset, available to every developer in the same way, with the controllers and headset haptics also available to every developer in the same way.

How would that look with PCVR? My money’s on “the most expensive headset is the only one that does it and the game has to be built specifically to run on it, and also you have to have a specific brand of video card made in the last three months”.

PCVR, just like PC gaming itself, has an enormous amount of potential, but without a unified platform it’s always going to be a much bigger headache to use than console VR and quality’s going to be all over the place from game to game.

Personally I’d much rather plug in my headset, hit play game, and know I’m not about to stick my head into a choppy-framerate slideshow barf factory*.

*i mean i assume it’d be a barf factory anyway, i don’t get vr sick literally ever lol

Thanks, I appreciate this post 👍I was set on not getting it ever but based on what you said I might re-evalute my stance later.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Is the remake also going to have that... idiomatic style of movement?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I thought the combat was OK even if kind of samey then the ninja in the first level killed me three times in a few seconds tops (after each try you have to do the current level from the start) and I thought "nope".

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

exquisite tea posted:

You don't have to start over from the beginning of the entire level, just the last checkpoint drone.

Yeah, I worded that incorrectly. For me that is still bad, though.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Your team in Wanted: Dead has like 3 lines that they keep repeating during combat. The enemies have probably only 1 death scream. Maybe there's 2 but they're almost impossible to tell apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

exquisite tea posted:

Beat Wanted: Dead this morning on Normal. The campaign was surprisingly pretty short, only 5 levels and about 9.5 hours to clear. This game is broken, buggy, and immensely stupid in so many ways but I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. If Hi-Fi Rush was everything positive you remembered about early 2000s gaming, then Wanted: Dead is how it actually was in reality. Dumb but certainly not forgettable. I can't recommend it now at full price but for 20bux why not.

$20 sounds good to me, I'll give it another chance then. Thanks Gaben for allowing me to rectify my worst mistakes within 2 hours.