Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Kale
May 14, 2010

haveblue posted:

Platinum on Forspoken (that QTE dance challenge is a killer). What a weird game and set of dev priorities. All the cool stuff is way off the beaten path so if you don’t fall in love with it and put in way more hours than the main quest calls for you’ll never see any of it

Cuff going back to just your snarky sidekick after being revealed as LITERALLY THE SOLE REASON THE WORLD IS hosed AND EVERYONE IS DEAD was a swerve too far for me. There isn’t any connective tissue there, his arc just evaporates. They even leave the incidental dialog tables unchanged which includes a lot of exchanges that make zero or negative sense given the late-game revelations.

Also big lol that (unless I missed something big) Frey’s father is completely unimportant. I understand the desire to focus on mothers and daughters and women in general but it turns Cinta’s story into “the most powerful sorceress in the world went to New York and was so gobsmacked she let some random dude knock her up before coming back”

"What a weird set of dev priorities" describes how I feel about a lot of Square Enix releases these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Having a good laugh at my one buddy being salty about the Square Enix game in the event. To preface he's a massive Square Enix fanboy, and I was discussing the night before how SE prefers live service games these days going back to them announcing a major strategy in it at one points early in the console generation. He insisted live service games are dead and I said I bet they have another one at the Playstation thing and lo and behold. Needless to say he's super pissed that I called it and won't even talk about it. I wonder if Sony asked them to make it or they offered or what is going on exactly with that one.

Kale
May 14, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Is Square-Enix doing their own showcase at any point this summer?

I imagine much of what they do will be piggy backing onto Sony streams since Square Enix almost seems all in on them right now for anything not HD/2D just short of getting bought out.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Johnny Postnemonic posted:

They need to kill off krile

Errr think you're looking for the FFXIV thread

Kale
May 14, 2010

I said come in! posted:

What video games are we even talking about?

FFXIV specifically

Kale
May 14, 2010

Attitude Indicator posted:

I'm excited for FF16 because it's the first mainline final fantasy game in two loving decades that hasn't had any serious development issues.

I still think its cause its the first time in ages where they didn't go some multimedia route requiring to sort out rights issues and cut ins for profit sharing and what not and just made the drat game which seems like a difficult concept for 21st century Square Enix. It almost feels like a miracle.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Lumpy posted:

Will Foamstars be the Game of the Year, or the greatest of all time? And more importantly, will all the people waiting for Factions 2 to come out stop waiting because they are having so much fun playing Foamstars?

IMO it looks fine enough, but the derisive reaction to it is more that Square Enix has a habit of bungling GAAS to an epic degree and keep trying at them and this is a tough market to crack, particularly in Japan where people are already intensely devoted to Splatoon. Locking it to PS5 and seemingly only making it because Sony demanded a Splatoon competitor when I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the reason Splatoon is such a hit in Japan is cause its on the switch and portable just kind of feels like they're already in over their head and its not gonna go well.

They really should just stop with the GAAS cause its kind of self fulfilling prophecy with them going bad and them closing down in less than a year meaning not many people want to get into theirs in particular these days. Again doesnt help when Nintendo already has a firmly established game for that niche that's going to be borderline impossible to pull people away from no matter what schemes they and Sony try. I sooner see them trying bad monetization methods that don't work with the model Splatoon presented and make it DoA.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Please Mr. Sony it wasn't me that said it please dont be mad.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I'm legit surprised they actually had a trailer for Rebirth and it was so good, but then again the team behind that and FFXIV/FFXVI seem to be immune to Square Enix trend of stumbling and bumbling all over the place this generation of games.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Never been a super huge fan of Sony, but there refusal to drop the price of their console at all and going back to trying to hold franchises like Final Fantasy series hostage via their extremely one-sided relationship with Square Enix that I don't understand why they even indulge has pretty much completely turned me off of getting a PS5 and kind of cemented my decision to skip this generation and potentially all future console generations from the company. If the Slim can't even be any cheaper than that tells me everything I need to know about their business plans.

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It might help if you actually looked into the subject matter instead of believing what sounds like something that came from an angry youtube dude.

Square-Enix isn't making games for Sony because they are 'held hostage.' Everything we've been told is that it is generally very beneficial for them and they got a lot of support from Sony. They are in fact not even the only company that does this as S-E has done timed exclusives for Switch too. Hell, Final Fantasy 14 is coming to X-Box pretty soon and plenty of Square-Enix stuff goes to X-Box too. The idea that Sony is 'holding Square-Enix hostage' over, you know, Square-Enix doing what a lot of companies do and taking free money for timed exclusives is kind of silly. (Not to mention like... would it be different if Sony bought Square-Enix and made all S-E games exclusive to PS? Because that is what they did with Bungie and what Microsoft has done with Activision and Bethesda and other studios.)

See I've also heard stories that the current CEO of Square Enix has noted a principal agent problem with their relationship with Sony in that they are borderline relying on Sony to sell their product for them at this point and could potentially be doing better with titles like FFXVI by not sticking to that relationship as much anymore in the future, but they seem so absolutely gung-ho about that relationship that I almost can't see that happening now. I've also heard the lines they had before that about how the game could not have been achieved without Sony's production assistance and the glory of the PS5's SSD which I simply don't know if I by as anything other than running PR for Sony while marketing their own game. There's just something off putting about Sony and their business practices this generation and these are conclusions I've come to entirely on my own through my own observations. It seems like a good piece of hardware, but everything else their doing with it and it's terrible early availability have practically consigned it to a skipped console like I said. Much as I want to play FFVII Rebirth when it comes out I'd just as soon wait for the inevitable PC port.

Love how super pissy some posters are getting about not saying only nice things about Sony and it's consoles in the Sony thread too. Awesome posting. :thumbsup:

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, just as an example for just recent games.

Live A Live was exclusive to the Switch for something like a year.
Harvestella is still Switch/Pc only
Dragon Quest Treasures is Switch Only (I think it might have come to PC recently?)
Paranormasight is Switch/PC only
The Pixel Remasters were PC exclusive for a long-rear end time
The new Dragon Quest Monsters is Switch exclusive

The Switch while pretty underpowered also costs a little over half the price of a PS5 here in Canada too though so there's that. As for Rebirth being Epic Games Store exclusive it wouldn't surprise me since Square Enix LOVES there exclusive retailer deals for whatever reason. Maybe that ones on them more than it is Sony to be fair here.

Bugblatter posted:

Always weird when someone pops into a long running thread just to announce they don't like the subject of that thread. Like, okay? People in here criticize and complain about Sony's practices fairly often, but we don't know who you are, you've announced you will never purchase the item this thread is about, and you haven't added any information anyone hasn't heard. So... how should we respond?

It's fun to imagine people doing something like that in real life. Like finding a gathering of RC plane enthusiasts, showing up and saying I don't like the manufacturing practices of RC planes and will never buy one. Okay?

This isn't drive by shitposting if that's what you think. I just haven't had much of a reason to post in the thread up until today with the announcement of the Slim model. I figured when that eventually came you'd see a small price drop with it, but apparently not anymore. That's all but relegated the PS5 to a skip this generation for me like I said. It's a shame, but they don't want to drop the price ever and if anything it's the one console this generation that I know of to keep going up in suggested retail pricing for it and it's paraphernalia so.......it's a shame, but like I think I'll live without a PS5 and getting to play some games like Rebirth at launch.

Kale fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 12, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6IyW0mZ9g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BPSaf-3BO4

Every time I see them do one of these behind the scenes or character promo videos for this Sony backed Korean action game that's out soon, I can't help but chuckle a little about how hard some of the people that have latched onto it for political reasons are probably going to run up against a wall of Asian sci-fi genre fiction tropes that they have no frame of reference for and any hope of comprehending in a couple weeks when it's actually out, and will probably just get kind of filtered by their own prejudices that somehow seem to have brought it to their attention in the first place.

Once the usual plot beats of this genre play out like things not being as starkly black and white as they actually appear (glammed up humans versus hideous space monsters for saving Earth etc.) in it's conflict and it's narrative starts probably preaching things like tolerance and understanding and "what is humanity and sentience really?" or "Are all humans the good guys and all the monsters just brainless harbingers of doom and destruction?".... and just *gasp* "progressive* ideals of any sort in general (It's science fiction for fucks sake).....yeah lets just say I'm expecting a lot of cognitive dissonance and it to become starkly apparent who actually played the game or not. Like they've even got the obligatory plucky slapstick humor sidekick character that's probably mildly annoying and that nobody talks about, but who I imagine is going to mostly have dialogue consisting of how awesome and cool the protagonist is and how they want to be just like them some day.

Mostly I just kind of keep looking at this game and figuring it's Sony's latest effort to try to save the PS5 in Japan with console exclusive like this and FFVII Rebirth that would appeal to the JRPG/"Weeb" market that wants something more hi-def looking than what the Switch can produce, and it's just because of the weird place things are at in an election year in the U.S that it somehow caught the attention of right wing activists that would normally never look twice at an Asian sci-fi trope filled game clearly aimed at fans of stuff like Battle Angel Alita, Nier:Automata, Bayonetta, Gundam etc.

Whatever the case, I'm incredulous that this game is going to be any sort of watershed moment for literally anything for the gaming industry even with Sony clearly putting their weight behind it as a PS5 exclusive. It might be a statement game for production values in a Korean developed IP though, that I can definitely see. If there's anything I've heard regarding gaming trends or outlooks in 2024, the idea that this game will overturn literally anything to do with the video game industry just sounds like pure narrative without any substance, logic or rationale behind it, it's got to be at the very top of it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

I think the entire game could be in charlie brown adult language with no subtitles and that group wouldn't care, they aren't playing it for the plot, they're playing it for the "plot".

It's the fact that all these people seem to be blissfully unaware that what they are hailing as some sort of watershed push back moment in gaming aesthetics (a woman in a skintight combat suit fighting monsters several time her size) is just a standard genre trope of Asian sci-fi. They just don't know about it because they clearly only pay attention to anything happening in media outside of the Western hemisphere when there's a political narrative to spin or fulfill.

I'd be far more surprised if that wasn't what the character looked and dressed like in a Korean developed sci-fi/horror IP, but again some people are clearly running their own narrative with this one and completely off base cause of it. 100% they're the kind of group to just skip every single cutscene though or ignore the dialogue cause the camera angles are probably doing things again. If not immediately right out of the gate, once the characters start narrating the morals of the arcs or the plucky side kick character has one too many goofy quirky scenes like in that video, or god forbid one of the characters turn out to be a lesbian or something (I'd put some money on it tbh) since all the major characters appear to be women in the game that'll be the end cutscenes, of which there will probably be many. I mean again it's an Asian developed sci-fi IP being backed by Sony, I'd be shocked if at least half the experience isn't spent watching cinematic stuff and/or listening to ambient music.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the extent of activity these people perform (in america, at least) is maybe getting up from a chair a few times a day. they are pathetic pudgy freaks and do not deserve any attention whatsoever. they will wither and die without a steady stream of outrage to feed off of, irrespective of whether the fancy AAA butt jiggling debut sells well or not.

I'm also just finding it funny today too that it's come to my attention that the same exact people that are perpetually losing their loving poo poo that somebody is going to come take away their fanservice in games and tend to make video after video after reactionary dig about it feel that it's out of line that somebody apparently got ridiculed as an "incel" for making this weird braggadocio edit over some Fallout TV show to make it look like one of the characters had a more defined butt. Like to anybody with any ability to discern clear intent from stated intent it's obvious that they just want to be in control of a narrative all the time and think any conflicting narrative is just people being unable to take a joke.

When it's some consulting company in Montreal making recommendations on sporadic games it's involved in it's an absolute loving paranoid crisis that needs to be pushed back on with the fiery force of a thousand suns lest it's CEO and 15 person team inevitably force billion dollar corporations with thousands of employees and big shot directors with huge egos to censor their fanservice in games post release (that probably isn't even there to begin with mind you cause that's usually not what they are thinking about as super important anyway), but when it's a guy making recommendations on how he wished a character in a video game or TV show looked to the point where they make an AI edit of a real living person (something that to my understanding is supposed to be off limits and over the line) but you know.....doesn't actually look like, it's just jokes and stuff and you can't poke fun at them at all or are being really unfair. Like if somebody looks like Shin Jae-Eun or whatever it's fine and how dare you claim they render her body as unrealistic (this is true to extent though admittedly as it's sort of insulting to anyone to say they look unrealistic when they're clearly you know...a living breathing person), but if it's that Fallout character and whoever they are modeled after then you gotta change that poo poo to something actually fictional and if the model/actress were to feel insulted by it theoretically and were to say "that's not what I look like please take it down" than it's almost certainly "tough poo poo" instead .

I know I'm arguing a bit of theoretical with that last one yet, but I know 100% that's how it would go down. That's the last I'll say of that though, I'm just tired of all the hypocrisy and two-faced victimhood bullshit out there in the gaming scene in 2024 and this seemed like the perfect time to vent a little. I'm actually kind of interested in this game as a fan of Asian sci-fi stuff for decades at this point, so to see the discourse surrounding Stellar Blade descend into the usual culture war horseshit and it feeling like it's another thing getting co-opted and twisted by the right wing propaganda machine has been a little disheartening.

e: That game could sell 50K copies worldwide in it's first week or it could sell 500K copies instead and the narrative the chuds concoct surrounding it's launch and what it means for gaming going forward would not change in the slightest...until it does when the new Star Wars: Outlaws game launches in August and it's the loving gaming apocalypse again. That narrative is what it is is already, whether the facts actually end up fitting it even remotely matters not.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 13, 2024

Kale
May 14, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I haven’t posted in a long time but that Death Stranding 2 trailer is unbelievably good. Death Stranding is one of my all time favorite games. Sincerely, Top 5, for sure. I’ve played through it two times; the first was 70 hours and the second I five star’d every prepper and did everything I could do and it was over 100. And I’d do it all over again in a heart beat. I was legitimately sad to break away from that family of characters.

I am kind of amazed Stellar Blade would do the hyper bouncy jug boobs in TYOL 2024. It’s absurd. The physics simulation they’re using is, “simulate a pound of water sloshing around in a ziploc bag on the ISS.” The whole thing is lazy. They should consider focusing on improving the plot, the gameplay/combat, maybe differentiating it at least a bit from Devil May Cry. If they did even one of those competently they could tone down the jug jiggle and still hit the sale numbers they’re aiming for. In fact, I’d go so far as to say nobody should pre-order Stellar Blade until the reviews are out. Needing hyper jiggle wiggle wiggle is dictation enough the game sorely lacks substance. Comparatively, I’m playing Cyberpunk 2077 right now (phenomenal game now, DLC is great, I can’t get enough of the nooks and crannies of the city) and Panam’s breasts move so little the physics might as well be simulating a stack of printer paper.

And that game’s sold millions of copies. Because it’s got it where it counts. It makes you think, maybe sex doesn’t sell anymore.

For what it's worth I did play the demo for that game and it's pretty solid, but not that particularly outstanding or really anything especially new or fresh to the action genre. It was also rather weird that the game doesn't seem to have any sort of death animation and just fades to black with you standing in place after your health hits 0 and the now practically cliche "You Died" screen that is probably supposed to give people Dark Souls vibes and help sell the game cause Dark Souls popular. The fact that it kind of plays a little bit like a hybrid of a Souls like and a DMC/Bayonetta type game was also kind of weird too and I'm not sure how it's all gonna shake up and balance out cause trying to have a game that invokes the flash and flair of anime and Bayonetta while also trying to have attack strings you have to commit to and a strict parrying system feels like it could run into some problems rather quickly. Like it's kind of weird the combat has the weightiness and feel of a Souls like a bit, but you're not taking 60% damage off of boss attacks and more just standard action game damage so it's not like the punishment for mistiming or misreading a move is all that steep either, which I thought was supposed to be the whole point of why those games are designed with that sort of combat flow, parrying and risk/reward attack strings to begin with.

As for the why in 2024, well I don't think I've ever seen a game of any kind from Korea that doesn't sort of do that sort of thing. It's just like something specifically to do with Korean media more than anything else IMO.

Kale
May 14, 2010

univbee posted:

Stellar Blade is causing some interesting drama in Japan but not quite for the reasons you might expect.

Basically, the game is apparently releasing uncensored in Japan, and I checked the Japanese version of the demo and its content is identical to the version of the demo released elsewhere. This is highly unusual because the game only carries a CERO D rating (17+ with no real "enforcement"), whereas even CERO Z games (18+ with government restrictions like ID checks and needing to buy them with an actual credit card on PSN, which is a bit of a rare and strictly-regulated thing in Japan) with similar content have needed to be specially modified to even get the CERO Z rating (a lot of stuff isn't allowed even in Z-rated games, including some of the red bloody dismemberment shown in the demo). A Japanese representative for EA is now calling bullshit since the Dead Space remake was refused classification and couldn't be released in Japan at all. In fact most games which are M-rated in North America and PEGI 18 in Europe need some form of modification for a Japanese console version, if they're not similarly refused classification entirely like Dead Space was (so were The Callisto Protocol and basically every Mortal Kombat game going back to MK2, which was released on Super Famicom in a censored "green blood and fatalities are black and white" state).

Worth mentioning that the Japanese version of Stellar Blade has Japanese audio (as well as every other audio language) as an option whereas the other versions of the game do not due to VA contract agreements in Japan.

Is that the reason why they put out that game is uncensored tweet which the incel anti-woke coomer crowd is celebrating as a massive victory? I found that weird and like they were basically dog whistling at that crowd to reassure them that this "their game" and was kind of irked by it, but that makes more sense if that's what it's about.

All the marketing and just weird fervor surrounding this game honestly has me wondering now if it's actually gonna be any good. It's like they're building these crazy expectations, but also feels like they're kind of overselling it now from what I was anticipating even a few months ago as just a quirky ode to classic sci-fi stuff like Battle Angel Alita or Genesis Climber Mospeada. I honestly didn't expect it to be marketed like it's the second coming by Sony or to it to pick up this weird culture war angle so it's honestly gotten harder to know what to expect anymore now.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Arist posted:

(it's the same game, for those who don't know)

Was it really that long ago? Holy cow. Like I do remember it being announced as Project:ReFantasy, disappearing for like a whole console cycle at least, then resurfacing suddenly as a whole new concept in 2023, then disappearing for about a year again and very recently coming back into the limelight. It felt like it was announced more like 2020 somehow, but I guess my sense of the progression of events got hosed a little by covid.

JBP posted:

Lots of dumb chuds getting trolled into listening to K-pop for twenty hours

I mean at first I thought so too up until today hearing about the censorship tweet. That they are gonna slide off the game as it's not really for them, but now the whole "WOW SO UNCENSORED EVERYWHERE" marketing just had me wondering what other purpose or reason it could possibly exist other than as a dog whistle to them. Like is it for them and not really for me after all? In any case they seem to have very much heard it that way even if was just for Japan where it's the only other sort of reason I could see them just throwing that out there since they do have a history of harshly censoring gore and violence there. Like I really hope Sony/Shift Up didn't just dog whistle to the anti-woke oft extremely bigoted gamergate crowd that is always ranting and raving about censorship as a marketing gimmick.

Kale fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 23, 2024

Kale
May 14, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

What are you on about, its not even in same timezone, aint even in the same drat galaxy

Its definitely the Hogwarts legacy of this year now in that far right people have latched onto blathering about it, not because of the game itself, but the feeling that they could stick it to some ideological enemy in the process or to "libs" they have convinced themselves must hate the game because it's Asian developed game #5139102 with a carefully designed for maximum sex appeal battle "waifu" protagonist. Like they think being weird and overly political about this game is gonna save gaming from "wokeness" and the ultimate boogeyman sweet baby inc. Thats about the extent they seem to know of gaming let alone games from Asia.

Other than that nothing in common. The game could potentially have a thread if its good though as we're not gonna get those far right weirdos here at least. Its probably gonna have a lot of your standard anime sci-fi tropes like coming to an understanding with your enemies and that not everyone is cut from the same cloth based around factions or those different from you anyway. Like I just have a hard time believing it won't do something narratively to piss those people off into thinking the "woke mind virus" got em since it doesnt take much.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

The main argument for boycotting Hogwarts was that Rowling would use royalties to support anti-trans campaigns, no? A company that supports anti feminist campaigns seems to be in similar territory. Especially when they have repeated instances of sexual harassment and assault within the company and fire the women who complain about it… I don’t recall the HP studio itself practicing anti-trans abuse. Gender equality in Korea is a lot further behind than most would likely guess for a developed country and it’s one of the central voting issues. The current president won almost entirely on a misogynist platform.

https://apnews.com/article/south-korea-election-president-yoon-76d0d61593c9ab85504bcf4b66c2c168

Yeah but he's also running a pretty weak minority government now after his party lost some seats in the election that just happened a couple weeks ago and apparently admits he'll have an even harder time passing some of his legislative priorities and is effectively a lame duck. The usual combination of scandals and corruption apparently did a number on his and his party's popularity and now the balance of power in their legislature is even more in the hands of a coalition of liberal parties, while his barely has 35% of the legislature. 108 seats to 192 for the opposition liberal Democratic party which is weak as poo poo to try to govern with at the executive level. Not even 2 years into his 5 year term the guys a lame duck. Whatever grip of populist fervor that made Korea the culture war capital of the world at the time he was elected seems to be abating more than America's, which is currently surging again, but they've still got a lot of problems over there clearly.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah the parliamentary election had a very heartening result, helped by a very large female vote, and will drastically limit his power. Saying that the culture war is done here a bit ridiculous though. It was bad before he came, his election was a symptom, and it continues to be bad. Venomous anger against feminists continues to be common place here.

When Biden beat Trump, did people say "Well, things are all good now :)"

Without getting too deep into it in this thread is it getting worse right now like America, mostly staying the same or abating even slightly? Admittedly I've been kind of fascinated about the topic since hearing that South Korea somehow narrowly edged America as the culture war capital of the world in some index of polarization by like a percentage point or so. It's just hard for me to imagine it being more severe anywhere in the world than 2024 America.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Was just coming here to joke that chuds really want Stellar Blade to be their culture war stick it to the progessives game to the point where they're actually mad that Sony is gonna do the obvious and patch out an accidental slur in the games graphical assets. Like they really want Eve to say the N word and denounced LGBT people I figure.

With how much this game has entered the culture war zeitgeist and them being very particular about it beint uncensored I cant say I blame some people for figuring it might be a dog whistle, but the fact that its confirmed getting day 1 patched confirms its just a coincidence of them putting a recurring "Hard" graffiti asset next to the shop

Kale
May 14, 2010

big nipples big life posted:

All the game review sites that got rid of their comment sections are very happy with that decision this week.

IGN didnt and has like 800+ comments in a few hours flaming the poo poo out of the guy that gave it a 7.:ohdear:

Kale
May 14, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely can not imagine caring that much. You are on the internet. If you want to see horny versions of characters you can type a character's name into google and get a billion results months before the game comes out.

Or hell, we're in the era where terrible AI art exists, you can probably type "EVE STELLAR BLADE BIG BOOBS PANTY SHOT" into an AI generator and get something that satisfies your itch.

It's cause it's not actually about that with those people. They're whole personalities and life goals revolve around casting themselves as the victims of something at the same time as trying to stick it to their perceived enemies somehow. Right now the enemy of "The Gamers" (TM) are the journalists and Sweet Baby Inc. who literally aren't even doing anything and have no ability to influence decisions made by Sony and their partner studios in Korea, but that for the narrative must always be secretely plotting against "The Gamers" (TM) to take away their fanservice and "uglify" every characters. That's it. All other factors run through this filter of constant victimhood, paranoia and narrative so it was always gonna end up this way with the game and the 180ing on it hard somehow at launch. It's not about artistic integrity either cause the games director was literally asked about it and he said the costumes in the 1.02 day 1 patched game were the ones that he and his team intended to be the final versions of them. Somehow the directors own stated wishes are not good enough though in this situation, which blows up the anti-censorship crowds whole narrative of artistic integrity to me. They just want these artists and directors to bend the knee to their desires only, not their own or anyone else's otherwise they have a loving kiddie meltdown over it.

poo poo like this happens with Asian games in general nowadays though. Like with the Hoyoverse games for example there tends to be a lot of beta leaks where model animations and costumes may slightly get tweaked before the final release version and any time anything like that gets tweaked it's automatically worse somehow and horribly censored as opposed to just tweaked. One of their games that's not even out yet and still working through it's betas had a massive freakout over this pink hair chick getting a similar sort of inlay on her clothing that barely makes a discernible difference cause of the need for victimhood and anti-censorship bullshit, but like maybe they just want the character to look a certain way at launch and poo poo changes during beta phases to final versions all the loving time. The only real thing IMO that's changed these days is that it's a lot more transparent with some of these games having lengthy open beta tests and leaks so people perceive more things as censorship that are just the normal sort of development of graphical assets that are no longer behind the curtain. The only real sort of solution I can think of is to just put it all back behind the curtain again, but that would mean forgoing any sort of hype marketing and drip feed at all and a double edged sword. No real way to win as a developer.

Can't help but notice that games twitter page has gone oddly silent after launch day. Usually the marketing continues for a decent while after, but it just stopped cold as soon as the meltdowns began. :shrug:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Is stellar blade a game about loving or loving things up? Cuz for the first I can see why people would be unhappy, but for the second...people have broken brains.

Not sure how well known this term is, but yes and no. There's a lot of "Guro" in it (basically weird gross fringe fetish of female characters being dismembered), but there's also a lot of pretty soldier girl taking down the giant monster type stuff too. It's pretty unabashedly in your face anime/manhwa tropey stuff where having a super model looking character fighting in high heels and lipstick pirouetting around stabbing and cutting monsters apart is played off as completely loving normal poo poo and just how you go about solving a monster apocalypse on Earth. Depending on your experiences with Asian genre fiction this may in fact be completely normal and common place poo poo to you, or it may also be a revelation and dawn of a new era in gaming like it seems to be to these anti-censorship bros. I find it hard to believe in 2024 where anime and JRPG titles have gone mainstream that Eve and Stellar Blade is a brand new concept to people really. :shrug:

A kind of good comment I saw on the game last night in a stream with regard to the sexualization in the game is that the some of the characters clothing choices are sexiness overloaded into sorta bland and funny territory. Really kind of sums up my overall impression of a lot of it. It can be a bit hard to take seriously when they're trying to have expository dialogue moments and brood about the horrors of the conflict and they're basically half naked and jiggling in place.

Like I'm still somewhat surprised Sony gave this game this much of a push and marketing having actually seen some of the dialogue, characterization, exposition, and scene direction in it, and can only guess that they saw the early concept trailers and have been really trying to recreate the conditions that caused Nier:Automata to blow up with it and so that they are the ones reaping the majority profits instead of Square Enix to the point where they offered Shift Up a lot of production and marketing help for a say in the direction of the games development and console exclusivity.

acksplode posted:

Lmao thank you. Half of them are displaying advanced male pattern baldness. Update your stereotypes folks. Someday we're gonna share retirement homes with people still ranting about Abbie's sex scene

Literally the 180 of all times from about a week ago to launch day with these fuckers. Do they think people in Korea and Japan where the game is likely to see the bulk of it's sales honestly give a slight gently caress either way? I'd have normally called it loving around and finding out with the crazy gamer bro crowd, but the devs clearly never intended to cater to the anti-censorship crowd with the game anyway so kind of hard to look at it that way.

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 27, 2024

Kale
May 14, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Attention. I dunno lately I'm just tired of seeing everyone engage with culture warrior poo poo all the time but I chose the wrong hill for this one because it's indeed hilarious

It also has like 40 costumes or something like Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and same energy of every character you walk up to hailing you as the messiah ultimate savior "angel" before you go off to fight giant monsters probably dressed something like this.

Kale
May 14, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I take back my moral high ground those testimonials are hilarious. Not a single one of those guys is under 35

My absolute favorite part is not a single one of them is speaking Korean or Japanese so even if this somehow makes it back to the devs and they remotely give a poo poo they'll still almost certainly need a translator to even sift through it all. Good grief......like yeah Kim Hyung-Tae really wants to know what Joe Blow America guy in mustache and sunglasses and American flag hat filming his testimonial from what looks like the farm thinks he should do with his studio's game. :allears:

veni veni veni posted:

Attention. I dunno lately I'm just tired of seeing everyone engage with culture warrior poo poo all the time but I chose the wrong hill for this one because it's indeed hilarious

Right now I'm rapidly coming around to this conclusion. For me it's that I cannot get past what looks like random rear end American conservative bros trying to tell Asian game development studios that are clearly making their games for that regions audiences in mind first and foremost, how they should be approaching their games, but also don't cave on your vision or whatever. Also I don't speak your language at all, but you know listen to what I have to say and not what "they" do.

It's the stubborn obliviousness to realize they are not the target audience for these games at all that's pushed it into the realm of hilarity for me. These fuckers don't support the Asian gaming market at all normally or get anything about their gaming culture, design/story tropes and influences, so why should any of the devs give a loving poo poo about what they think?

Kale
May 14, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

What is baka gaijin in Korean

외국사람/Oekuk-saram: A derogatory way of saying foreigner.

Kale
May 14, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I feel like there's some 'I shouldn't have to press 2 for English' aspect to it too because I don't get why they've suddenly decided that on top of every game needing women hot enough to make everyone go AWOOOOOOOOOGA and turn into a steam pipe like a Tex Avery wolf, it also has to be the biggest most resource intensive AAA games too. The 51,349 results you'd get on Steam if you typed 'Hentai' into the search bar don't count, everyone needs to pivot to making CGI porn with a plot off to the side too.

It's not about sites like Pixiv existing, it's about getting to feel like your taking a big stand against "woke" censorship at every turn or release of a new game. There's literally entire channels that revolve around feeding these people this sort of bullshit on youtube now that glommed onto Stellar Blade in the last month and will glom onto something else just as soon. The next time there's some instance of some upcoming game to be bigoted and racist about or claim is being censored by Big Sweet Baby Inc. they'll never talk about Stellar Blade ever again and invite themselves into the discussion over that one to make basically suppress the voices and input of the actual intended audiences for them with their bullshit anyway they can. The 180 from hailing the game as their savior to being butthurt as poo poo over it is part of the performance as the actual intended audience for the game seems generally pleased with it so far.

Flowing Thot posted:

It's actually Alfira the Tiefling bard from BG3.

I'll take FFVII's English dub any day of the week over whatever happened with this one. Some of the NPC's don't even remotely sound like how they look either and sound like an AI generated voice. Whatever production assistance they got from Sony it clearly wasn't in the realm of hiring good voice actors anywhere outside of Japan it seems. Even the original Korean dub is kind of eh IMO, but the English one is kind of on the Star Ocean spectrum in terms of voice acting quality.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Ff13-3 is good mfer

Yeah it's easily my favorite of the XIII trilogy.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Even if they didn’t speak solid English, which they do, there’s a pretty concentration of similarly minded angry men here. The director was confronted by them about it at a publicity event near my home the other day. I think the international outrage stemmed off of his response.

For a funny story, something similar happened with Genshin Impact, so dudes on the Korean internet hired loudspeaker trucks to drive around the company’s Korean headquarters saying abusive messages and demanding that the original designs be restored. When the company didn’t respond, they hired a blimp. However, because they forgot how high blimps fly, the only part of the message that was visible was the Genshin Impact logo on the bottom. So everyone thought it was an ad.

For a less funny story, these weirdos go through female employees personal social media to find “feminists” then send those same trucks to demand they be fired.

Erm, this is literally just “foreign person” in a dictionary way. It’s less common than 외국인 but not derogatory at all. Also the romanization is weird, it sounds like waygook saram.

Yeah that character is insanely popular and her assumed character designer was a Korean woman that goes by YOMI as her professional handle. In sort of a similar instance of the whole Sweet Baby Inc thing some people in Korea went through her social media and found some messages that were basically making GBS threads on Korean incel males and of course their response was to lose their poo poo similar to how American gamers have lost their poo poo over SBI and demand they be fired and harassing them etc. It all kind of plays into the fierce gender culture wars over there from my understanding where there's a pretty deep animosity between feminists and chauvinists that just goes around in circles like it does in America. It's also the exact same sort of poo poo of the transparency with early character design drafts, some people deciding they liked one of the earlier drafts more and then insisting that the finalized version was censored somehow and cheating them of sexiness. You can basically set your clock to these controversies always playing out the exact same way. Apparently that whole fiasco with the truck and blimp cost at least 12K USD too and did nothing.

Also that's just what I had heard and that it was derogatory slang, but apparently it's just a textbook definition after all.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Flowing Thot posted:

"South Korean developer Shift Up released its financial results for 2023, reporting massive gains in terms of operating profit – this value went up by 516% year-on-year and grew to around $82.4 million USD. Looking at net profits, Shift Up managed to turn a loss of around $5.3m USD from 2022 into a plus of around $79m USD – not a small feat by any means."

"Earlier this year, Shift Up initiated the process of getting listed on the Korean Stock Exchange – with analysts predicting it to be valued at over $2 billion USD."

https://videogames.si.com/news/shift-up-profit-growth-2023

I don't think Sony wants to pay Bungie money for Shift Up.

I don't get the sense they'd be in that sort of ball park. Not like Tencent trying to acquire Mihoyo and being rebuffed and now them being valued so high that the talk would be more merger than acquisition. Apparently no other privately owned gaming company in the world is worth more now. Shift up indeed went public though, but I think after Kim Hyung-Tae the next biggest owner of Shift Up is Tencent and Kim only has a 45% share apparently so even buying up his shares wouldn't be enough to get a controlling interest. That's where the tricky part lies in getting him to cough up his shares and then trying to convince Tencent to cough up another 6% or so, assuming they have that much. That's even if they see clear value in it necessarily rather than continuing to partner up with them on some projects here and there.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Arist posted:

Shift Up's gacha game Nikke (which is largely about staring at women's asses while they shoot guns, is my understanding from its ads) had a crossover with Chainsaw Man where you could acquire Makima, a character that series' fanbase goes ferally horny for. However, the catch was that she was wearing a long trenchcoat, so you couldn't stare at her rear end while she shot guns, and people went ballistic.

This has nothing to do with anything, but it is very funny.

The same thing kind of happened with another anime collab they did with a franchise called Re:Zero which is very like PG-13 so people were mad it didn't give them enough T&A to look at. The characters in that franchise just kind of look like your standard post 2010's anime trope designs, just not especially overt about it enough to be R-18 or really even 15+. It seems to happen with everything that game ends up collaborating IPs with and it is kind of funny yeah. I just sort of look at these games and honestly can't understand why they're quite as controversial as they are, but then again I'm a bit of a weeb admittedly so.....:shrug:

Bugblatter posted:

Tencent is the majority shareholder of Shift Up, I believe (a lot of their internal issues with treatment of female staff came up when Tencent grilled them about it during a shareholder meeting, anyway), which might make a Sony acquisition unrealistic.

Sony was also looking at acquiring Round8 (Lies of P studio), but they’re only one studio within Neowiz and the only branch of that company that is doing well. Neowiz of course didn’t want to lose their only strong studio and Sony didn’t want to buy the whole company for one part.

Sony clearly does want to continue investing in SK development, but I don’t think there are any obvious candidates for acquisition right now.

Yeah I think it's less about specifically wanting to support Shift Up and looking to make inroads into the Korean market any way they can. This partnership always just felt like a bit of a weird mismatch in terms of the marketing effort rather noticeably.

Kale
May 14, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

All the main VAs are pros with good recent work so I'm gonna put this one down on poor/nonexistent voice direction and a rather nonsense plot. It's not as laughably bad as Wanted: Dead where they left in flubbed lines from the main actress and half the NPCs in the police station were text-to-speech bots.

Its very evidently the ADR Director as is often the case with these situations. Also some of the translation choices are why localization scripts exist. For example theres one scene where Eve litetally just meets a person and says "You don't seem very likeable" and like I sort of get why phrasing like that might work in Korean societal context (People arent talking to you you're clearly an outsider here hiding out in this back alley alone) but it just comes off really awkward spoken in English. Like a few PSX era original FFVII script choices here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

Do they lose more clothing as you get better?

There actually used to be a genre of arcade game in Japan that was like this that you'd see in seedy pachinko parlors and poo poo and played with a weird almost keyboard setup for selecting and discarding tiles that you won't really see anywhere else. Not that anyone wants to know, but pretty sure that screenshot is from a mobile game called Mahjong Soul where the conceit is you getting to play Riichi Mahjong with popular female anime characters. Believe it not its actually available in the U.S