Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I'm sort of curious about the Playstation Stars thing, since I got an email for it earlier today. The 'digital collectables' doesn't sounds all that interesting, but earning points for PSN credit could be kind of nice. Then again, it depends on how the 'campaigns' are handled. Sounds like you can only get it through the Playstation app, which I don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

When i spend 60 dollars on switch i get like 3 dollars back in gold coins...
When i spend 360 dollars on psn i earn 4% of the 1250 points i need to get 5 dollar in credit...

Jim sony is blowing it

drat, why am I not buying more games on Switch?

No seriously, why am I not buying more games on Switch? I feel guilty about how must dust the Switch is collecting.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Shammypants posted:

You overspend on every game on the switch so and they're also mostly bad ports

That's right. I remember now. First party titles on Switch don't seem to get much of price cut, and stock of physical copies (at least on Amazon) is always a crapshoot. Bayonetta 2 like $70 for a physical copy.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Imo Always go physical with switch cause you can sell the game for like 35-50 bux after you get bored of it. Also you don’t have to worry about SD card space.

True. Maybe I can shop on eBay for better prices.

-

To try and bring things back around to the PS5, do there exist themes for the PS5 dashboard? When I have it open, the ambient (?) music starts to get annoying, and I remember PS3 and PS4 had a lot of themes for the console. I don't remember seeing anything for PS5 when I first got it (around the start of this year), but was there an update that added them in?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So in shopping around for SSDs, I found out you can add an M.2 drive to a PS5, and there's even Western Digital drives with Playstation branding.

How do you install the M.2 drive? Do you have to open up the console, or is there like a slot in the back for it? I ask because while I could probably just uninstall some of the games I'm not playing, gameplay captures start eating up a lot of space, so I thought about investing in one.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Slot in the back. Very quick and simple procedure. Only one or two screws are involved iirc. And it's a great time to buy storage.

Well in that case, I think I'll grab one of the WD_Black SSDs for it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I'm very stupid and I installed mine in about 2 minutes. You'll be fine. It just plugs in. Just make sure you get one with a heat sink or you will be installing that yourself. Which doesn't look hard either but why deal with it if you dont have to

The one I just ordered (the SN850P) says it has a heatsink, so I think it should be good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Rinkles posted:

just fyi you're paying a fairly big markup for the branding. The regular version with heatsink is $30 cheaper atm, and it and similar drives have hit $100 before.

4TB is now economical, but I think 8TB drives still come at a big premium.

Crap, wish I had seen that sooner. I'd cancel and order the other one instead, but the one I ordered had same-day delivery, and it just shipped. Still, I'll keep that in mind for the future if I upgrade it or if this one doesn't work out for whatever reason.

I'd say that 8TB seems kind of excessive for the PS5, but if you don't have the version with the disc drive, then having that much storage would be preferable to having to wait for games to download and deleting ones if you're running out of space (especially considering how much space some larger games take).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I installed the M.2 drive. It was easy enough to do, so now I've more storage, which is good, because I only had 31GB free for the default storage.

However, upon starting the system up and getting to the format screen, it tells you that you can't put saved data or media on the M.2, which I overlooked, because I thought to move some of the video captures I had onto it.

After formatting, it said it had a read speed of 6530/Mbs, and that if games have loading problems, then move them back to the main drive. I dunno if 6530/MBs is a decent enough speed or not, but I figure at the very least shift some of the games I'm not currently playing over to the drive so I have more room for captures.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Has anyone tried the Plex app on PS4/PS5? I read some posts that said it performed poorly, but others that said it worked just fine.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Baggot posted:

:words: about Stellar Blade

I saw something about the demo only being up for a short time. I thought maybe it was limited-time thing, but it went up by accident? Was it supposed to be due out later or something?

Regardless, it sounds interesting. I don't think I'd choose it over Rise of the Ronin (which I only found out about like a week ago, and I'm eagerly anticipating), but it sounds like it might end up being a pretty solid game.

I think what finally piqued my interest about it was when I saw that sword surfing clip. I can't say why, but it just seemed cool.

https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1762160822556758527

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Oh poo poo, that's probably why!

It's funny, because I saw a clip of Daicon IV again just the other day. How did I not make the connection?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I played the Stellar Blade demo, and I'm kind of surprised at what the game is like.

There was this post from when the demo got leaked, and they said that the game took influence from Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, and Nier Automata, and I certainly see it. The layout/level design is like Nier: Automata (or at least what little I've played of), and thematically it's similar. It's got the Dark Souls style of checkpoints where you find camps or rest areas where you restock your healing items and can do upgrades. I'd actually say that the combat's closer to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, or maybe Sekiro (though I haven't played the latter).

But beyond that, it's got ledge-climbing and pole-swinging like in Uncharted. The environment scans feel similar to the Batman Arkham games, and the scans show terrain difficulty symbols like in Death Stranding. Opening chests/collecting items, and using L1 with the face buttons to use skills feels similar to Nioh. The style of the camps (in that they've got retro-style vending machines, payphones, a record player, etc.) reminds me of something from a Suda51/Grasshopper game. The opening with the drop pods reminded me of the intro cinematic from Quake 2 (that's just me, though, I don't think they were actualyl copying that). There's probably something else I'm forgetting, but it just feels like a collection of everything the devs liked from other games that they played, and sort of comes together okay. The video end of the demo also shows there's shooting/ranged combat, so I have to wonder what that's similar to.

I find the combat kind of finicky, though. I was having trouble fighting the first several enemies in the city. It could just be that I'm out of practice, but it feels like there's a half-second delay between when you press the button and when Eve actually attacks or blocks. I switched from Balanced Mode to Performance Mode in the graphical settings, and I started having a better time with parries, but dodges not as much. It could be that I'm always too early with the dodge moves, but it feels like direction is a factor; it's been a while since I played Bayonetta, but with that, I felt like as long as you dodged at the right time, it didn't matter what direction you were moving. Here, it feels like you either have to be moving backwards or neutral in order for a perfect dodge to register.

All that said, that's where it seems like the game really shines. If you can get the timing down pat, then you can just parry and dodge enemies until they get dizzied and then obliterate them. I didn't think I was going to beat the boss at the end of the demo first go, but I managed it.

I tried the bonus boss several times, and I was able to take off a third of the health bar on a few attempts, but I just couldn't be consistent with the parries, and I couldn't figure out how to dodge some of the attacks.

As far as the story/presentation goes, it doesn't really grab me all that much. I thought it was kind of interesting how there's flashbacks establishing what happens between the intro sequence and when you start playing the game proper, which makes me wonder if that's exclusive to the demo, or if that how's it will be presented in the full game. Regarding the visuals, technically speaking it seems pretty solid. I didn't try the setting where it prioritizes graphics. In terms of general style, there's some really cool monster designs.

Overall, it's not bad. It feels kind of clunky/awkward in regards to combat, but some of that could just be my lack of skill or because I'm trying to execute things like I would in Elden Ring or Nioh, and it doesn't translate directly here. I'm not really compelled to buy it now versus Rise of the Ronin (which I wanted from the minute I found out it existed), but it seems like it could be a solid enough game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Would there be any opposition to being able to revert back to previous ng+'es in Souls games? Like once you go to ng+ you can jump back to ng if you want, everything would be just as you left it, completed as such, and then jump back into ng+ or whatever level of ng+ you've unlocked with each world state in exactly whatever level of completion it's currently at? Or is there some kind of technical limitation for this?

Nioh has a system like that. Finishing the final mission unlocks a new difficulty (Way of the Strong), where you play through again against tougher enemies, but you get better quality weapons (Way of the Strong is when Divine-tier weapons start showing up). However, you can shift back down to the default difficulty.

In fact, I think that might be what you're supposed to do. When I played Nioh, I jumped into the DLC missions after finishing the main campaign, and there's a substantial jump in difficulty between the end of the main game and the first DLC mission, so I think you're intended to play through some of early main game missions first to get Divine gear before tackling the DLC.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Question that I may need to field in a different thread: what kind of TV would be well suited for a PS5? I've wanted to upgrade to a 4K TV for a while, and there are some smaller ones that don't run for too much. However, I don't know if there are ones that are better in regards to latency and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Aipsh posted:

Not sure what you mean by smaller because it’s difficult to find small TVs anymore that are 4k and support HDMI 2.1, which is the minimum for future proofing.

Best ones are the LG OLED C1 or C2, there’s really no contest. Unfortunately in my experience seeing a real OLED for the first time makes every other type of panel look like crap forever. You might be able to find the cx or a c9 for a fair bit cheaper at this stage.

Well, the TV I'm using now is the Samsung LN37A550, which is 37", so something that's a bit larger would be fine. Something like an 80" would be overkill (as well as being expensive).

I'd like an OLED, though the OLED displays seem to be where the price shoots up heavily.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You want the following features
HDR
120hz
Variable refresh rate (VRR) support
Auto low-latency mode (ALLM) support - some TVs call this 'game mode'
HDMI 2.1

They all usually go together but some models will have one or two of them missing to cut corners.
Do not get a TV with any of the above missing. And if you're gonna buy a TV, google the model before making the jump. RTINGs is fantastic for this kind of stuff.

Quoting this so I can reference the feature list later. Thanks.

XtraSmiley posted:

LG OLED at 77" is on sale (last years model) the C3 often for about $1700, which is the perfect TV for PS5.

If you need a smaller one, the 65" is now on sale (again, last years, C3) is often on sale now as well, but usually not much lower than the 77" so it's hard to go smaller.

Avoid the B3 as it's not bright enough IMO for a primary TV, and if you can wait until the next big sale late this year, this years version, the C4, will be a better pick as it's even brighter.

Best Buy has the LG 42" C3 Series OLED evo for $1,000. It's got 4K, HDR 10, 120Hz, G-SYNC (I dunno if that falls in line with VRR and/or low-latency mode), and 4 HDMI 2.1 inputs.

I wasn't planning on buying a TV right away, so it's probably better to wait for a sale. LG's website lists the C4 42" at $1,500, so depending on how much the price gets cut, that'll be the one to get.