Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

should I play Kiwami 1 after I beat Disco Elysium? i have the strongest yakuza fever right now. absolutely raging intensity inside of me.

It's a remake of a 2005 game so the sidequest and story quality might give you a little whiplash.

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Is Yakuza Like a Dragon a good starting point for that series? Or is it too much of a spin-off to be a good intro? I’ve been interested in that series for a while but I have no idea where to start at this point, and Ishin looks rad so I’d like to get at least one Yakuza game under my belt before I pick that up.

Yeah sure. You're probably gonna be confused on who a lot of people are but within 4 minutes of them being on screen you'll be able to figure out 'Oh, that guy's important, that one's just an underling, this guy will show up in a sidequest later'

I've played everything but the non-remade stuff and I still can't keep track of every Yakuza family aside from the people in 0 and 1. Once you bring in the eternal grudge Secret Koreans I'm totally lost.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Everyone always goes full twee or British butler or Whedon with talking magical swords and bracelets and such but has anyone ever tried going Werner Herzog with it

Make the cuff hammy like whoever voiced SOTN Dracula in the prologue.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kiwami 1 trips people up with bosses regenerating health but you can stop that by doing a heat move on them. A heat move. Literally any heat move. So, go to the pawn shop and buy a bat and pull that out when needed and you'll be fine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhJW699YWS4

Square Enix just released a new trailer for Forespoken and I think they must have listened to the complaints about the bad dialogue in the last one because it sounds a lot better now.

Yeah they definitely got a new VA Director to come in and get people to use inflections and such but man, something about people's faces and expressions still doesn't look right to me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yakuza Kiwami 1’s only sin is introducing you to the “use a style-matching heat action to break the boss’s health regen shield” mechanic and then not telling you “by the way you don’t have that ability after the timeskip you need to unlock it in the skill tree”, which makes the first boss a total bullshit difficulty wall if you don’t happen to have unlocked it or didn’t know specifically to go unlock it.

People will keep saying this and trying to make it more complicated than it is. It's not that serious. If you see them recharging, just hit them with a heat move. That's it. They stop gaining health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T92R9P-9g5Y&t=1108s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If crypto and NFTs and COVID hadn't happened they probably wouldn't have bothered for this long and just made everyone buy a 700$ PS5 or no new games for you

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 16, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyyjeaDBgl4

Fuuck shocked at the effort konami are putting in

The sprites being as good as they are really make those character portraits stand out. It's like I'm looking at Hard Edge or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When's Valve gonna rerelease Portal 1 & 2 on PS5 with realistic fluid simulations already?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Reacting like he's on the game over screen in Final Fight at a tutorial pop-up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I can't believe that they made a female Ethan Winters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Only good Star Wars game remains Force Unleashed

You're ignoring the Lego ones for some reason.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

There is a pretty distinct lack of FPS games that aren't DOOM or about the military in the current console generation tbh

Prodeus looks pretty good though, probably gonna try to beat Doom 64 before I try it

Yeah, we've got Resident Evil 8 and that's it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Isn't Artyom part of the underground militia or something?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Not really, but he is somewhat former sci fi military I guess. And Doomguy is a marine and Chris Redfield is a cop. I assumed they were talking about mil sim stuff.

I can't remember poo poo and FPS and first person games in general aren't my genre so I just don't look at them anyway. We forgot a bunch of poo poo, Ghostwire: Tokyo for one, as well as: Borderlands 3, the Predator game, Destiny 2, Hunt Showdown, Farcry, Bugsnax, and I don't know if Serious Sam counts or not because as far as I know he's a government or military agent and I don't know if that disqualifies him or not.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's starting to become an easier task to name games that don't have Forspoken dialogue at this point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Volte posted:

I spent like three days doing nothing but playing Deathloop and avoiding reading anything about it, and when I finished it I was extremely surprised that everyone seemed to hate it. I thought it was a great followup to Dishonored, but I guess some people thought it was going to be an open-ended puzzle game because of the original marketing.

Yeah that's their own fault. It looked like an Outer Wilds with violence where there's a proper order and sequence to killing everyone and avoiding Julianna.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

liquidypoo posted:

I think I'm the only one who finds the "no games" joke beyond tired

It's because the jokes are also just as low effort. If they were quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnDe2u5M7e8

I'd be all for them

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crows Turn Off posted:

H2 is a direct sequel continuing the storyline with the same characters. Why would you skip the 1st one?

Yeah but it's an open world game. You gonna tell someone they need to play Watch Dogs 1 before they try 2? Or to start with the first Asssassin's Creed before touching Odyssey or Origins?

The only one you really need to worry about lately is like, The Witcher.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

None of those games continue the same story with the same characters, though

Resident Evil then. I think you'd be fine picking any game without having started from 0 and then 1 onwards.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb9T679e3Z0

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Which one of these has the Mach 5 as an unlockable

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/Devon_OnEarth/status/1574755498976501761

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Regularly Scheduled Arist Gaming Event Update, wherein one may find interesting industry news and intrigue for week 37 of 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAEZUtVRH7o&t=69s

I can't wait for Dunkey to save the gaming industry.

No, not with unions.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Take the shot

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What do people want out of a pirate game to begin with? I'm not entirely sure where people are getting let down to begin with.

I want it to be like Prince of Persia and that animated Sinbad movie. Put a giant gorgeous chaos Goddess in it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWR11Ck_oZM

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You can just make up a new definition for them if you don't like using 'Boomer Shooter'

Call them strafing shooters or something.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

The worst part of calling the genre title "Soulsborne" or "Metroidvania" or even "roguelike" is that pedantic jackasses will insist you talk about Souls, Metroid, Castlevania or Rogue without using the genre name. Like, gently caress you, Rogue is a roguelike, you know what that means when I say that and I'm not going to invent a new genre called "rogue" with only one game in it to satisfy your weird anal-retentive need for absolute precision here.

Yeah, English is already a dumb as hell language that doesn't follow its own rules 100% of the time. If I get what you're trying to express, I don't care if you make up a word that's not actually in any dictionaries to do it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yakuza 3 Remastered Remake Kiwami

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah the "exploit" in dead space was only to carry a cutter so you only ever dropped that ammo which i always thought was a dumb gameplay decision

The game only dropping ammo for one type of weapon or deciding that you're only going to use one type of weapon for the entire game?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The game only drops ammo for the guns in your inventory so you can make the economy much easier by only carrying one gun. it was dumb design

Thanks a lot RE4!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

omg chael crash posted:

Are we not there already?

How? What's the PC equivalent of 400$ gold HDMI cables to improve the sound?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

We'll know for sure that the games industry is out of ideas when the black video games just start getting remakes out of nowhere.

Look out for a 50 Cent Bulletproof or Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death remake!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

Yakuza 5 is a Nathan Fielder game. "We want to expand Yakuza games into the female market. They like idols. Well put an idol game into Yakuza," "what about the male audience?" "They're gamers, just tell them it's weird to play an idol game and make them play an idol game."

Women already play video games what am I not getting here

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Modern CGI can be incredible, but the major studios overwork the hell out of VX teams these days. The artists go through crunch scheduling and sometimes aren’t even credited properly for their work, iirc Marvel is notorious for this kind of thing.

It’s basically the same as the crunch that AAA game developers go through, but you can’t patch a movie once it’s out in theaters like you can with a game.

Yeah I think there's was something like the last fight in Black Panther got like 3 weeks to be finished instead of 2 months.

Also Cats (2019) proves that you can in fact patch movies too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You died back in jail, everything after Hotto is post game

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/jiyunaJP/status/1578278087770648577

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

finished Trine 4. now on to something with a little more gameplay and less thinky-bits

Ghostrunner or GOTG?

Take Ghostrunner, GOTG is a story game that wants you to pay attention to people having conversations and character development in between the combat.

Ghostrunner on the other hand looks like an arcadey minimal dialogue mostly gameplay kind of thing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DQ11 is foolproof. It's a game that gives you a recap whenever you load your save. And also the current objective is always on the map.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

How are people getting to this point at lvl33 lmao that explains a lot. Think i was mid 40s at that point and aced it

Because people ignore the arena it gives you right before there and instead just try to barrel on through the story, forgetting the number one rule of Yakuza which is you absolutely have to finish every single piece of side content that comes up before you advance the story because that’s the best stuff.

I think I was like nearly or just around lvl 40 by the time I got there and I went up to 53-ish doing the arena before I stopped, thinking that's probably well overleveled for a good chunk of the game only to find out no, that's pretty much where the game wants you at.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

https://twitter.com/okami13_/status/1581084392453451776?s=46&t=Xk42_c7O_iGArYCm4k4MvA

both Failstation and Drecksbox taking a rare L… this game must be optimised like absolute poo poo.

Good 4-player games are impossible to make. You either make a single player or battle royale, 4 is too complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Twibbit posted:

Left 4 dead

14 year old game. Making games like that is lost technology now.