Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I'm kicking myself for having put off the second half of Zero Dawn until early this year, everything from Sylens' introduction on captivated me in a way games rarely do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Something must be broken in me, because when I beat the Final True Millenium Tower and finished up the rest of my trophies I found myself wanting to do it all again on the ps4 version

Gonna hold off, though.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Morpheus posted:

I've been playing Scarlet Nexus lately and been finding it surprisingly enjoyable. I thought it'd be a fairly simple action RPG with an anime plot with psychic powers all over the place, but the combat gives you a ton of options to play with and the story gets bonkers in interesting ways. My only complaint is that there are two storylines to play through, but while they each experience their own stuff, they (the characters, that is) share information with each other so I don't think playing through the other one will give any interesting revelations.

It's one of my favorite games from last year. Really good dualsense usage. The only real issue I had was against human opponents but eventually I got used to it.

I ended up doing Yuito's path first and then Kasane's a few months later so I didn't burn out; it's worth giving a shot up to the converging point, though there's still a fight or two specific for both routes after that.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Fix posted:

I've got Prodeus, Tunic, and Tinykin in my shopping cart for the second I feel the need to pull the ripcord on Horizon FW, but I really don't think that's going to happen, this game is hitting all my buttons. There are so many good games out right now.

Yeah, it's a great year for games but FW's my game of the year easily. It's rare for me to find an open world game where I'd actually prefer to run on foot than fast travel or use a mount, but I found it really easy to get immersed in.

The only thing I didn't really like was how chatty Aloy is about puzzles but I got over it eventually. Though she'd never speak up when I actually got stuck...

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I'd say it's the worst thing, because it reminds me I could have had themes.

I still hear Beneath the Mask in my head after having the P5 theme for like three years.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Neo TWEWY was pretty drat good

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Darth Nat posted:

You guys are looking at this the wrong way. A HZD remake just means that another genre-defining game is destined to come out the same week and totally steal its thunder.

BotW remake?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Returnity

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

The quick resume across multiple games thing sounds pretty cool but tbh loading times are next to nothing on pretty much everything on every platform except GTA Online on literally everything nowadays so who really gives a poo poo?

Yeah, and I can't imagine wanting to keep more than one game active at a time anyway. My attention span's not that hosed up yet

bows1 posted:

I know everyone is over Sifu at this point but im finally at the final boss and hes tough. All hand to hand and he blocks / avoids everything. Gunna take awhile.

Work towards parrying him. He's super aggressive but once you figure out the timing he's a chump. No one's worse than the first phase of the Artist, imo.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

acksplode posted:

Glad I'm not the only person who gets wrecked here. When to low avoid is the last thing I'm gonna learn in this drat game. I can crush that second phase though

Yeah, I'm confident with every boss aside from her first phase at this point. Second might be the easiest in the game considering her limited moveset and how easy it is to exploit.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

bows1 posted:

Ah got it. I haven't really parried since the club, all avoid.

I got him to his second phase with just avoiding so hopefully this helps

and yes the artists first phase is brutal. 6 move combos with both high and low avoids are tooough

Yeah I accidentally parried him during one of my tries and that's when it clicked. I was kinda bad about using the focus skills too until my second playthrough, I'm not sure how I pulled it off without them.

She's got a pattern to it but it's still hard for me in the heat of the moment because I rarely use that avoid

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What did blizzard do today. Saw the phone thing they had to reverse which lol

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1577278754988097539?t=VIRNjxA-5MoJ8RwcIsHiKQ&s=19

These are from the last couple days but still.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I can't recall but you get back into the overworld after the final fight.

Edit: Actually it should be before you enter the Millenium Tower.

drat, I love the bgm for that place.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Monster Hunter World

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

TheDarkFlame posted:

Monster Hunter World is so much smoother, to compare my flatmate and I had two screens in the living room where we were standing in the same place in the gathering hub and just spinning the camera, and the one running on PS5 was so clear you could see everything.

Plus guiding lands takes like 20 seconds to load

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

HFW is my GotY unless GoW.

I'm probably not gonna end up playing GoW for a while but I agree on HFW. I really loved Sifu but I wanted it to be longer.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

I really should try Sifu. The updates to it sound great, I’m glad the devs are supporting it. I don’t love highly difficult games but martial arts games are my JAM.

I started off on the easy setting and it still kicked my rear end for a while, but it's a really slick game, you feel like a badass when you figure out how to fight well and it makes nice use of the haptics too.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah, I charge one while I use the other, it's great

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Phenotype posted:

Is Like a Dragon really that good? I took a crack at it last night and man, I think I got to control the character for maybe ten minutes out of the first two hours. I gave up when I got out of jail and got ignored by Arasaka at the cemetary, and then drove off with the cop dude. Wasn't feeling like anything very special from the very little I played, just kind of a basic RPG system with an empty open-world?

It starts off really slow but I personally really enjoyed it by the time I finished the main plot.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

resident drama queens acting like they have to go take a break on their fainting couch because 2FA is apparently a targeted assault on the poor and not just some flawed attempt at controlling rampant cheating

It's especially "funny" to me because around the same time we learned about Blizzard's gender verification system for tournaments, plus all the other horrible poo poo they've done in the past, but this is the really bad thing.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

You're better off in the discord.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

But I like hearing broken smoke detectors and loud music that deafens the rest of the game

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I love Returnal; easily one of the best games I've played and I hope it gets more content down the line.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Yes she can. I've been sharing with my friend for the past few years. She could even log in on your account on the ps4 while you're on the ps5 and it won't sign you out.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I've only played two games at 30 fps in the past couple years, Sleeping Dogs and Judgement (I thought I had the ps5 version wishlisted)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

tuo posted:

Short Returnal question: finally found some time to play it, and slowly getting the hang of it a bit (though I'm still pretty bad). Got the first permanent upgrade, and got the first time a key to the house. Entered it and put the console in rest mode to cook some tea. When I came back, the console decided to update the system software (guess I'll disable this option for now), ending my run.

Can I enter it again, or did I permanently miss something important?

You should be able to go in again next run.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

fridge corn posted:

The last duty in Shadowbringers 5.55 loving sucked. It was epic as hell but my biggest gripe with this game is when they force you to play as different characters. I'm sorry I havent been playing this game for 8 years and have every class maxed out. I've played the entire game as a bard and now you want me to be a healer?? Not only do I not know what all these buttons do, I barely know how to switch targets lmao

I haven't gotten there yet (just beat 5.3, I believe) but I'm not a fan of those forced segments either for the most part. The boss fight as Thancred was really fun and I like the role quest ones, at least.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

It's the only real complaint I have about the sequel.

And it's more frequent than in the first one

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Genre talk brings out the worst in pedantics

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I had that same reaction about Ichiban actually. He really doesn't look like he's up there especially considering half his life was in prison

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Dragon's Dogma on PS3 and 360, Dark Arisen on ps3 and ps4, would have been switch too but I got sick of joycon drift

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah a secret teacher maid you can date isn’t creepy or embarrassing at all lmao. I know you said crappy not creepy but let’s just pretend

Not only does she date a student, the poor boy can barely even function without his support cat.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

fridge corn posted:

The coolest poo poo in the game for me happened in Stormblood which is apparently the low point of the game for most goons so :shrug:

Not at Endwalker yet but Stormblood was my favorite expac so far.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

History Comes Inside! posted:

FO4 without the mod that makes the conversation menus actually show you what you’re going to say is unplayable trash

Did that one get ported to console in the end?

If it did, it would only be on Xbox. Ps4 got a much worse selection of mods allegedly for technical reasons, and given who we're talking about I don't expect that to change for ps5

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Mr Snips posted:

The base gives you a chest with new items in it occasionally but I never figured out what caused it to reset so I could loot it again

I checked whenever i went there between quests and it seemed to restock often. I think I've gotten a couple stormbird cannons from it

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

What, and add another ~$140?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

My friend bought it by accident so I tried it and it seemed way too simple for my tastes but there's a lot of charm

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Arist posted:

Finally went back and finished NEO TWEWY this evening. I enjoyed it, but I was getting a little fatigued when I hit Week 3, Final Day Double Prime

Yeah the stretch leading up to it drags but I thought it was a fantastic way to cap the game off.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

ER is the easiest soulsbourne out there once you get in the groove, the beginning is rather tedious for leveling up but it'll be smooth sailing once you get to enemies that drop a reasonable amount of souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

imhotep posted:

the real problem with the last of us 1 and 2 is that every faction is named like 'the fireflies' or 'the rattlers' or 'the wolves' or 'da piggies'. how am i supposed to take them seriously when a faction that sounds like a division 2 college football team says they can do neuro surgery and invent a cure for zombies

I had a similar thought around the beginning of ff14 and there's flashbacks to the great war before this game takes place. I think I heard Barracudas at one point.