Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm growing more excited about Pacific Drive given I always loved games like Interstate '76 where driving and doing driving missions was the whole deal. I really want them to release info as to whether it supports driving with a wheel tho. I think that could be extremely fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah they said summer last time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bloodychill posted:

SE are pros at making big budget games with bad VO. It’s like their signature at this point.

Ella Balinska is fine. The direction and script is not helping her.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bugblatter posted:

Bad voice-over, not bad voice actors. They hire perfectly capable actors these days... just awkward scripts and direction, as you said.

FFVII Remake came off okay. Not great but serviceable... which is an incredible testament to the direction and actors because looking at what they had on the page at times... yeesh.

I thought remake was fantastic. I liked all the voice work and the writing was frequently funny on purpose.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think Herzog would want to make a fun game because he gets right into the spirit of things.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you're making these games run on series S might as well make them run on ps4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I love KT and Team Ninja, they're 100% my darling developer beginning with Ninja Gaiden. It's good to see that they're putting all the Square Enix money they pretended to spend on a final fantasy game to good use as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My feeling as well. If you're gonna bottleneck that poo poo you might as well do so for the largest audience possible, and none of this seems like an issue anyways since RE Engine is a god drat technological miracle. REmake 3 is incredible to look at!

Graphics and what games can do isn't leaping forward like it once did and PC games run on 2016 and earlier hardware. So yeah just use low graphics settings with long load times and release the games on old consoles if you like. It's not like we are talking graphical leaps and bounds. Basically feels like 4k v HD and load times these days.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

acksplode posted:

Ray tracing has the potential for a graphical leap like they used to make but this gen launched like three or four years too early for it oh well. Maybe in a decade

Yeah but I don't think ray tracing is going full stride this gen while also maintaining frames and fidelity. That being said who knows what the computer wizards will be cooking up once this gen is another year old.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wo Long seems really cool from the demo despite potentially being a little bit too familiar. Seems like they've toned down loot which will probably satisfy a lot of people after Nioh's dumptrucks full of swords.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Imo it's a lot of effort to go to for a video game. I don't think vr is ever going to have big uptake and it's not because you look silly.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Policenaut posted:

Goddamn, that Wo Long demo is so great. A+ poo poo I can't wait to see the final version. Now to try this new Valkyrie Elysium demo, which I'm sure will be just as good.

I didn't realise there was a demo for valkyrie, gonna give that a go it looks like it might be fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This valkyrie game is like low energy in distilled form.

E: god I thought this must have been multiplat with switch but it's PS4/5 and PC.

JBP fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 18, 2022

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Annoying American yelling simulator 2025 looking exactly as expected

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My criticism of Wo Long is also that there is far too little going on with it compared to Nioh 1, let alone Nioh 2. Games journalists are trying to call it streamlining but it's just less finger puzzles and weapons to learn which appeals to me less.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I prefer action games like Nioh, DMC, Platinum stuff and Ninja Gaiden where you return to levels to get higher combos, get more items or style. Dark Souls pace is too plodding gameplay wise for me and hasn't got enough variety in the movesets. Wo Long doesn't feel like it has the massive amount of variety and technical demands as Nioh or the tight gameplay of Ninja Gaiden. I'll give it a go when it comes out but I'm wondering if they're going to release more weapons or what. Magic feels great to use and seamless as you fight enemies though, I'll give it a tick for that.

E: I'm hoping for a bigger budget Sifu at some stage. That ruled.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

You don't have to stick with the spells you start with, there were about 20 unlocked for the demo and you could change them to anything at the rest place. I found the fire DoT spells extremely useful and carried me through the boss.

Yeah I picked the swamp type and for regular enemies it felt useless because you either monster them or they monster you, but against the boss it was very good. Fire was really good for flicking out some disrespect and plinking off mooks that you didn't want in the neighbourhood any more.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You want to learn to parry his combo basically. If you can parry the whole combo 1/3rd of the time you almost automatically win.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you're a middling gamer, sure

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only souls inspired game I like is god of war

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Jedi fallen order is a horrible videogame given thousands of free kicks for being 1p star wars

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I tried to give it a fair once over, so I booted it up again. I couldn't be bothered finishing the uncharted climbing intro poo poo because somehow I forgot that most of the game is insanely boring navigation. When I tried to do the combat arena instead it loaded the level but disabled the in-game menus and the ps5 menu despite being able to run around the empty arena lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I finished Hades and loved it a lot. The new spin on each weapon really spices the game up right when you feel pretty done with it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Aipsh posted:

Gonna riot if this doesn’t come to Piss5 or PissVR2

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1572372646012260353?s=21

Omg the loving victory club horn on the grading screen

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deathloop has the same writing as Forspoken but it's a man talking so I guess it was deemed ok

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

That's America's "hackamajig"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lady yelling American writer witty babble

Man yells whoa did we date and dies

Man says wow we really did date I need to stop drinking and a laugh track plays

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you told me the forspoken trailer was a parody of this game I'd believe you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When I think of good performances the first thing that comes into my head is modulating pitch wildly and being abrasively zany

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

fridge corn posted:

I cant wait to play valkyrie profile next week. Good thing the ps5 has no games

The demo was horrible though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Profile, my friend, Profile.

Ah thank you. Don't you have to buy the new one to get profile?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

I cannot loving figure out what store item lets me upgrade PS4 Tsushima to PS5 DC Tsushima. Also why is Returnal $125 kangaroo dollars

Other than that PS5 is pretty good I guess

Grab returnal for $50-70 online elsewhere. I think ghost of Tsushima has the upgrade option if you put the disc in or download it again. It's a bit of a fuckaround.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, I know it's a paid upgrade which is..fine (ish) it's just completely nebulous what I'm supposed to do to get it

You go to the game, hit the three dots icon next to play game and it should have the director's cut/upgrade in there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Spalec posted:

Out of all the Assassins Creed games on PS+++, which is the best? I've never played any of them and with all the free ones included on the sub I feel like I should try one. Or should I just play the one with the setting that appeals to me the most?

On a side note, I've been trying out the streaming PS3 games and I'm pretty impressed, I totally forgot it wasn't local.

I would just pick the most interesting setting to you since they are all equally terrible videogames at heart. If I had to pick a favourite it would be Odyssey, because I love Greek stuff. So that seems like a winning way to choose a game to me.

Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla are more like modern RPGs with less focus on stealth and more on exploring the world and talking to people, skill trees, etc. Valhalla is a million hours long and made me never want to play another asscreed.

The older ones are more standard stealth action games where you go to a GTA type quest giver in a smaller open world setting. They also have more verticality and combat has an Arkham feel to it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

God of War Ragnarok is out soon pretty baller time for PlayStation 4 owners

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bop bop perano posted:

I was just playing god of war 2018 the other day to re-familiarize myself with the gameplay and I forgot just how many cracks in walls you have to slowly go through to hide loading the next area… I wonder if the ps5 version will still have this, assuming the ps4 version will unless they’ve solved that problem somehow.

The PS4 version should have the cracks in the walls and every time you shuffle through it advertises PS5. If you click go to store it's out of stock and you have to reload your save.

On PS5 Kratos shuffles through the same way but says "ain't nobody got time for this!"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I killed all the Valkyries on give me gow because as someone said before they're very easy using runics to just ignore their attacks and deliver a mighty blow at the same time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Za/um are advertising for a monetisation goblin lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Everything older than 911 is boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gritting my teeth listening to pearl jam while my teenage son calls me a fat boomer "I'm gen X I'm not old"