Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Infinitum posted:

You will really like Judgement VG.

The drone racing is legitimately great and challenging

Lost Judgement has a Boxing Stance you can get via DLC and its fantastic.
Yagami beats up so many kids :allears:

This is the first time I've ever heard someone say Judgment is good because of the drone racing instead of in spite of it

Nah mechanically it's a cool idea using the town map as an aerial racetrack but there's only so many configurations and for later races you have to be pixel perfect and I was never up to the task :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Btw is this new thread gonna have any games or is it business as usual around here???

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I agree that starting with 0 is the best choice, but starting with YLAD or Judgment is fine too. They're all pretty good at easing you into the setting without any confusing major callbacks.

My route through the series so far is Y0 -> YK1 -> YK2 -> Judgment -> Y3 -> Y4 -> YLAD -> LJ -> Y5 and the spoilers you mentioned are so minor and vague that they're really not going to ruin anyone's good time. Like, I've yet to play Y6 but from context gleaned in YLAD I know Kiryu is in hiding and a Korean guy dies but both of those things happen a lot throughout the series so its not really a big deal :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I have never felt compelled to play Dead Souls but they put a House of the Dead style zombie arcade shooter in both Judgment games that was pretty fun so I feel like i got the gist

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Everyone always goes full twee or British butler or Whedon with talking magical swords and bracelets and such but has anyone ever tried going Werner Herzog with it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Frankston posted:

I'm glad I stuck with Yakuza Like a Dragon because it's gotten batshit loving insane (and a little questionable) and I love it.

There are exactly two parts of YLAD that are bad (from a plot perspective, the gameplay has its ups and downs): Nanba's brother you never see and Mirror Face. Nanba's brother is a bizarre plot point that doesn't work and the game clearly wants you to forget right after it happens, and Mirror Face is at the center of the dumbest plot twist of all time.

Everything else is just Ichiban stumbling rear end backwards into intrigue and punching his way out of it and it is a treat the entire time.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I will play the dump truck latina GTA when its released in the next 2-5 years and enjoy it imho

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

SilkyP posted:

I wouldn’t even mind them milking gta 6 with all the micro transactions and poo poo they’ve done with 5 if they could do it in a less ham fisted way.
Like if you can incentivize me spending money on it with something other than paying to not get death lasered by a 14 year old as soon as a log in then I might think about it
Just never felt like I wanted to spend any money on it

I heard they hardcore revamped the in game money stuff in GTAO so the gameplay loop of do fun things-> get money actually exists now (as opposed to the old system where the 'best' way to get it was leaving your console on overnight or playing the same glitched heist over and over) but I haven't tried it myself yet

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

outer world isn't bad

in the context of feeling like a direct spiritual sequel to fallout 1 as if gameplay hadn't advanced at all between 1998 and now, but it's not bad

unless you're looking for solid FPS combat in which case it's extremely bad

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

There is a pretty distinct lack of FPS games that aren't DOOM or about the military in the current console generation tbh

Prodeus looks pretty good though, probably gonna try to beat Doom 64 before I try it

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I grabbed one of the older Metro games in a sale back when I first got a PS4, Redux I think? And it just never grabbed me

Soul Glo posted:

Ghostwire Tokyo is right there, man

I only saw like a minute of footage but I thought it was more of a 1st person magic sword guy style game than an FPS

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Haven't played the updated C2077 but playing it at launch I could tell it was a KOTOR2 situation where a good game was hiding underneath the severe bugs and unfinished parts and bad combat and that it would eventually be polished up and come into it's own

And if it took the kind of perverts who love lolita anime to make that happen well hell welcome aboard perverts

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I never beat C2077 so I assume all the big choices happen later, but even just walking around talking to people and getting little minor differences in dialogue or plot without changing it was cool, like how what you do with Jackie's body can lead to an incredibly elaborate wake at the bar, even if it doesn't actually 'change' the plot before or after much. Stuff like that was far more interesting to me than not being able to do GTA car chases, though eventually the bugs got too bad to continue regardless.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Its gotta be weird to be Google where you're the search engine and email service for like 99% of people but whenever you try to do literally anything else everyone goes "lol nope"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

haveblue posted:

that's because literally everyone else has noticed that everything google does that isn't search and email is unceremoniously orphaned and killed as soon as possible

Yeah but imagine you're the guy they put in charge of stadia

Were you in charge of google hangouts and google video before that? Is your life just a series of roaming through the halls of google to various doomed projects like some kind of tortured specter?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Finally figured out where to go next in Castlevania Symohony of the Night (loving clock statue room :argh: ) just in time for Halloween month! Only I spent so much time wandering around confused I'm crazy over leveled and killing everything in 1-4 hits with a holy rod which might go against the spirit of things

I was thinking about other spooky style games I should try to play this month to stay in the spirit of the season and here's what I have so far:

-Resident Evil 2 (I've played half of RE8, maybe a third of RE1 and seen three out of seven of the terrible PTA movies, but my coworker insists that does not matter, it's just a good game on its own merits)
-Little Nightmares (free from PSN, maybe its good?)
-A Plague Tale (same)
-Dead Rising (haven't played it since the year it was first released, not exactly gothic so I'm lukewarm on this one)
-one of the Arkham games
-That part of AC Valhalla where you celebrate ancient Britannic proto-Halloween and trick or treat
-Bloodborne (maybe I'll beat it this time!)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

I enjoyed playing a lot of ac Valhalla this weekend :shrug:

Its a good game :colbert:

Just too long

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

BisterdDave posted:

The only last gen game I want remade is RDR2.

I keep putting off installing it on my PS5 in the vain hope that R* will do this but given that they only really did it for GTAV because GTAO is still an infinite money printer and RDO has been abandoned I am not optimistic

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

You should start playing it. Halfway through the game it will get announced. Thank you for your sacrifice.

Oh I played and beat it the year it was released, it would just be neat to do it again with good loading times and slightly better graphics

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

univbee posted:

I replaced HZD recently and it definitely has a little bit of a "jank" feeling compared to more recent games, although definitely not on the same level as The Last of Us PS3. At the same time, it definitely doesn't need a "burn it all down and start over" remake on the same level as TLOU1 did, so hopefully this isn't a $70 ask and/or is available day one via PS+ Premium.

Most of the jank in HZD is in the abysmal loot system that disincentivizes exploration and I doubt a remaster would fix that :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

*me thinking as hard as possible on what post to make to get on the list* more like horizon zero yawn

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

more like bloodbored!!!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The least of us starring droll and dullie

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

*immediately losing steam* f-final blandtasy VII crisis bore??

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I feel like tripling down on the number of games you're releasing only after public opinion softened on your game because of a tertiary anime is a bad move but hell I'm interested

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

No, thry fixed the game, not cos of anime

For sure them fixing the game helped but I don't think it would have become the most played game on steam a couple weeks ago without the anime renewing interest

Most people don't give stuff a second chance a year+ later like that on the basis of "we finally fixed most of the bugs"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Also insanely hosed up they didn't announce a Witcher 3 PS5 release date with everything else, a bad omen imho

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Volte posted:

They didn't announce a date but they did confirm that it's coming out this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EJmgTQ0O8k&t=496s

Not a lot of year left!!!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

bows1 posted:

Did Prey get a pS 5 patch?

If it did it didnt work because the loading times were still dreadful when I tried to play it on my PS5 earlier this year

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Made it to the tombs in Castlevania SOTN and that one Bloodborne boss is just straight-up a slightly reimagined Granfalloon lol

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

that is such a dope boss. SOTN still rips

Agreed, best boss in the game so far easily. Got the holy glasses (I wish you could see Alucard wearing little pixelated sunglasses lol) and now I'm finally on my way to the top of the castle. Destiny awaits...?!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Played Little Nightmares and it was short and had some nice creepy monster man designs, fun for an afternoon (I probably won't play the DLC)

Got to the inverted castle in Castlevania Symphony of the Night and on a whim played the first Castlevania for a bit since I still have the anniversary edition and died more in an hour than I have in all of SOTN, I forgot how insanely hard the NES games are

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

one of the earliest signs that ME3 is in trouble when you first play it is that Udina is clearly The Bad Choice that probably less than 20% of players picked and yet the plot just goes "yeah he's still the council member now anderson retired or something I dunno"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

Makes sense with what they wanted to do with anderson but they could have probably handled it better

Undina is the default choice tho if you dont import into me2 lol

All the non-import choices being the worst ones possible is a just punishment for anyone who skipped ME1 :colbert:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Finally started playing Resident Evil 2 on PS5 and got dragged to the ground and hosed to death by a cop and a second, fatter cop, 10/10

Also having never experienced more than a couple hours of an RE game before I'm sure people have commented on how totally insane it is that the PC just instinctively knows they've used a key to its fullest extent right

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

RE2make continues to deliver thrills and chills. Playing it blind and considering how few safes I opened and obvious puzzles I never found the items to bypass (the stuck library shelf, the diamond locks) before moving past the police station I assume I either come back or some stuff is only possible for the other character (playing as Leon first)

Also its absolutely bullshit that I couldn't just shoot the C4 to make it explode

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's pretty great. I played RE3make first and liked it a bit better overall, but cannot deny both games are very high quality.

I get the sense that RE3make is more action packed, which may be even better for me? Truthfully I've never liked horror survival games but I have a friend who felt the same and insisted that RE2make is smooth and fluid and action-oriented and approachable enough that it clicked for him, and so far I agree! I bounced hard off the RE1 remaster but I think the ridiculous puzzles and extremely small inventories aren't as bothersome when I'm not also fighting the awkward controls and fixed camera angles.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Okay now I finally escaped the police station for real on RE2make. I hosed up a LOT with the dogs and the tyrant guy following me and probably wasted too much ammo, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it!

Is he scripted to back off at certain points, or did I just get lucky when he ignored me the entire time I was running around the clock tower putting gears into things?

Also, now that I've left the police station, should I still hang onto the wooden board sitting in my inventory? There was a hallway with three exposed windows in the east wing where I just said gently caress it and ran :effort:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Made it through the sewers in RE2make as Leon but I have exactly one shotgun shell left and I definitely missed something because I have an unused sewer key lol

Its weird, I think the game is most effective when its just you and a couple of zombies in an unlit hallway, or when the dogs are after you, etc. All the bosses are just such goofy piles of meat with big eyeball targets that it totally overrides any sense of horror you're supposed to be feeling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Leon Kennedy is officially safe! I'm really glad I went back to get the flamethrower after almost missing it because goddamn does it trivialize the final section

Very curious to see how much Claire's story differs, but considering she showed up to the ending with a tiny child in tow I'm really dreading what I assume are some miserable pure stealth sections

But should I do new game for Claire or new game 2nd run???

EDIT: my rank for posterity, I backtracked a LOT lol

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 16, 2022