Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMzONb1-CKg

Absolutely in love with the energy this game is bringing.

S-tier vibes. Added to my radar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Pennsylvanian posted:

I guess to be positive, Sifu is the best game I've played in a long time. This may be my biggest obsession since Doom 2016.
I still haven't finished it, got to the last stage in elderly form before getting distracted, but yeah it's slept on. The combat system is a fascinating amalgam of some great combat systems, yet it manages to feel distinct from its forebears. And it makes you feel so badass once you start mastering it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m still a bit cautious of it but my love for martial arts games has me really tempted to grab it on a deep sale sometime.

Let this push you over the edge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw-3cX_ORro

One of the DF guys is into the Hong Kong martial arts films that inspired Sifu, his geeking out over the references is a fun listen.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Sounds more like CDPR threw their hands in the air and gave up because their game’s performance is hot garbo and the new consoles cover up for it.

I think it's more a case of the game's design overshooting the CPU and HDD limitations of the last gen so badly that optimization was a nearly impossible task. As badly as it runs on the old consoles, it's amazing it runs that well at all. It absolutely should have been a next-gen exclusive but premature hype and marketing boxed them in.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

What part of the game’s basic-rear end design overshoots the capabilities of last gen exactly?

Tons of NPCs and vehicles (CPU) with high animation and geometry and texture detail (HDD) in high-detail environments (HDD). You can tell what parts of the game stress the old consoles by seeing what gets sanded down relative to the next-gen and PC versions, and it's mostly NPC/vehicle density and uniqueness/detail.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, Sifu, OlliOlli World, and Stray were all games that passed me by and I need to check back in on. Too much bideo jame.

OlliOlli World got past me too. But it feels destined to wind up on a subscription service so at this point I'm waiting for that to happen.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

JBP posted:

Graphics and what games can do isn't leaping forward like it once did and PC games run on 2016 and earlier hardware. So yeah just use low graphics settings with long load times and release the games on old consoles if you like. It's not like we are talking graphical leaps and bounds. Basically feels like 4k v HD and load times these days.

Ray tracing has the potential for a graphical leap like they used to make but this gen launched like three or four years too early for it oh well. Maybe in a decade

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Palmtree Panic posted:

Don’t care if Sable is any good, it has a beautiful art style and soundtrack by Japanese Breakfast. An automatic buy.

I liked the art style too and then saw that it's trampled half the time by night muting all the colors, it makes the game so much flatter looking. Tread carefully

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Been talkin about it in the PSVR thread, no one was expecting BC due to the technical challenges involved. PSVR1 games were tightly coupled to the PSVR1 hardware in such a way that achieving BC without patching games would've been a lot of trouble.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i dont get how tho, is it the lightbar stuff?

PSVR1 games handle tracking in-engine via a library, not via an external API that Sony could make the PSVR2 mimic. So it's either patch games to add PSVR2 support, or emulate every detail of the PSVR1 hardware using PSVR2. Patching means wrangling publishers into doing work with inconsistent results, and emulating PSVR1 would be a tall mountain to climb since PSVR2's tracking works so differently. I'm hoping you're right and that the best games get ports, there are some gems worth saving.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bop bop perano posted:

Edit: oh I didn’t see acksplode’s post, but I also didn’t know that, I just assumed that even the basic difference in like the set of inputs it would receive from the cameras were so different that it would be hard to somehow make it work with the new headset.

If Sony was thinking ahead they could've processed tracking in the breakout box or something, and had games use a shimmable API that just gives them the end result, decoupled from the actual hardware. Then it would be a matter of having PSVR2 mimic that API. But PSVR1 was a late-gen PS4 hack and a new product in a niche market, so I get why they went their route.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bop bop perano posted:

Yeah it makes sense, it’s really crazy how the psvr feels like it was just hacked together like some sort of macgruber invention, repurposing ps3 motion controllers, the way the breakout box connects to everything with like 20 cables. It’s amazing that it worked as well as it did.

Yeah from a certain perspective it's really impressive. It's like an internal proof of concept that some beleaguered hardware engineer scraps together from what's available and you don't hear about it until someone writes a book ten years later, except it managed to be good enough to sell.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bows1 posted:

ok Sifu rules

beat the Botanist first try at age 30.

The club is about to ruin your day lol. If you're like me, Sekiro parry muscle memory carried you through stage 1, and you're about to enter the trough of gitting gud with the avoid mechanic.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

the dualsense saucepan water saga update:

ive tried connecting it to charge up but the dualsense just flashes orange twice when i connect to the the charging plug. ive read online that it might be the battery? as any one dealt with this before? its cheaper buying a new battery than a new controller but if its a pain in the rear end to open then... :shrug: the fact that it flashes tells me it might not be totally dead.

I haven't replaced the battery on mine, but I did replace a trigger spring and that's slightly more work. Ifixit's guide estimates 20 minutes which sounds right. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sony+DualSense+Controller+Battery+Replacement/142053

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I ran around the arena until the ghosts disappeared

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

sports games peaked on dreamcast

Nowhere to go but downhill after NFL Blitz

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Why would a company have the source code for all their games not in some sort of air-gapped server?

Because people have to work with it and coordinate around it. We're talking probably hundreds of people working out of multiple offices if not their own homes. Are they supposed to mail usb drives to one another? That source code only has value worth protecting as long as people can use it. The only places I've seen an honest to goodness air gapped network in my life are government facilities where state secrets are handled. The term gets thrown around in industry but IME it always refers to networks that are merely firewalled from the internet. Working around an actual physical air gap is too costly and burdensome even for industry secrets. And for all their cost air gaps can still fail, usb drives etc can be vectors. That's how the US and Israel got stuxnet onto an air gapped Iranian uranium refinery!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

“XMR” is Monero aka crypto bullshit so at best a non-serious offer

Crime is the only use case for crypto that's panned out, it's what enabled the wave of ransomware attacks over the last few years, and monero is intended to be the untraceable privacy focused coin. Even if this offer isn't serious, the kid's inbox is probably stuffed with similar looking offers that are

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bloodychill posted:

All those ransomware attacks ended up getting traced and domestic/extraditable attackers were arrested though because feds and interpol have their hands in crypto.

Not all of them, otherwise they wouldn't keep happening over and over. Companies pay these ransoms often and some people have gotten away with it. The feds have gotten way better at blockchain analysis but there's so much poo poo going on they can't catch everyone.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I should give GTA 5 single player a try some day, I own it somehow and not via PS+ (drunk purchase?) but RDR2 looks more interesting and I don't think I can play both back to back without getting burned.

RDR2 is more interesting for sure, not quite like any other open world game even if it does have a lot of GTA in its structure. If you've ever played a GTA before then GTA5 isn't gonna show you anything new.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

Honestly if I was going to make a hot take guess about what's killed specifically multiplayer total conversions, its the fact that everyone has pulled game hosting tools out in favor of requiring you to use their own matchmaking tools. Gone are the days of firing up BF42 and hitting up the goon server or even that one that is 24 hour rotations of your favorite map where you know people are mostly chill. Remember the days of having a favorites list of servers to play on?

No self-hosted servers means no way to use the framework of the latest multiplayer shooter to build your crazy multiplayer mod.

Matchmaking rules but yeah I miss private servers. I think I played Battlefield 2 almost exclusively on KFS, good times.

I would like to address the premise that GTA6 must have taken a long while to build because GTA5 was released so long ago. I'm sure people were spitballing ideas but seems more likely to me that Rockstar worked on RDR2 and otherwise delayed production on GTA6 as long as GTA Online was printing money. GTA6 is probably a trojan horse for the new GTAO as far as execs are concerned, and any dates around its announcement and release would be considered in light of GTAO's engagement and revenue.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

RDR2 is phenomenal but is also very much a one and done experience.

Edit: I think this is why online didn’t take off like GTA did

Granted I'm a freak who loved the stuff people vocally hated about RDR2, but I was all set to give RDRO a shot after beating it. Then I read up and learned that it was starved for updates and the community had mostly soured on it by that time. Maybe someone who played RDRO closer to launch has more info, but I got the impression that R* let RDRO wither in favor of GTAO.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

The big thing WD2 adds is a lighthearted approach to the subject matter. WD1 is, like above, GTA with magic cell phones- the same dour gritty protagonist, the same too-realistic setting, the same focus on the underworld, the same encouragement to solve everything with firearms. The enemies are, from what I recall, mostly gang bosses and the tech is just window dressing and an excuse to have more moves available in combat scenarios. WD2, meanwhile, starts with the tech and lets it inspire everything. The setting is now a silicon valley dotcom utopia, brighter and happier and looser and more fun than the first one. The conflict is between the snarky younger generation and the rear end in a top hat tech bro who filled the city with cameras and drones. You have allies now, and they have personalities. Firearms are present, but not *necessary*- you can, and I did, play through almost the entire game with just a taser, gadgets, and the basic melee weapon. The missions are more imaginative and funnier and generally oriented around problem-solving rather than eliminating the opposition.

That said, it's still an Ubisoft open world, but I had so much more fun with 2 it's hard to believe it came out of the same team/company

I was irritated by the presence of guns, I had a hard time ignoring that the fun loving hacker collective had a gun printer. But they did make it possible to ignore gun stuff and that's cool. Also I appreciated that cutscenes would play out differently depending on whether you infiltrated an area yourself or via drone. I just wish they had cut out all the guns and made the hacking gameplay a bit deeper. There's a bold game design in there somewhere.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bloodychill posted:

That would’ve been really cool and innovative. I wonder if it ever occurred to them to just remove the guns.

Guns feel so extraneous that I have a serious hunch it was the original idea. Then maybe marketing got wind of it and was like uh ok but how are we gonna put a guy holding a gun on the cover.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

Shadows of the Empire
I was actually playing this over the weekend for nostalgia's sake and you know what it owns. If we have to pick one good star wars game, that's mine. Visuals and controls don't really hold up but it's easy to see how it was incredible back in 1996.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

bows1 posted:

Club was harder, but I got through it now. The avoid mechanic is good is boss fights but sucks rear end when you are surrounded by 1-3 mooks. Onto level 3!

It's honestly just as effective against mobs, especially mobs of enemies that you can't posture break with a single parry. And you can spam it a bit and get out of hairy situations where you can't keep track of all the attacks coming at you. Useful against weapons too, just wait until you avoid the swing of a mook's bat and it flies into another mook's face :allears:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nice I didn't know Prodeus had a console release date. I've been playing it on PC and it kicks so much rear end, gameplay is good and the aesthetic is perfect. What blew my mind is that it uses sprites for all the enemies doom-style, except they're rendered in realtime from 3D models after first applying lighting effects and wound deformations. So like you're fighting 2D sprites with 8 fixed viewing angles, but they're accurately lit by the environment and you can shoot their limbs off. It's so cool.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Prodeus was fantastic even in early access. I do wonder if it will translate well to a gamepad though.

Like Doom Eternal translates perfectly because they fine-tune the AI around it (enemies are less aggressive behind you on every platform, but even more so when using a gamepad). Wolfenstein: The New Colossus made no such tweaks and was brutally hard without a mouse and keyboard as a result. Prodeus kinda needs that kind of console-centric fine tuning too.

Been playing on PC with a dualsense, no complaints

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

Did RDR2 ever get some kind of next gen update?

The injustice of RDR2 not having a next gen patch is second only to the situation with Bloodborne. It looks ridiculous at 4k 60fps

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hoffadoff posted:

What's outer wilds? I was asking about outer worlds. Well if neither of them fit the bill has anybody played a good fps lately that's not cod?

Prodeus hits consoles in a couple days and it's the opposite of cod

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hoffadoff posted:

I just wanted to run around and shoot poo poo like doom. I knew cyberpunk was an open world rpg kinda thing but I was hoping it maybe had a lot of action and not so much rpg. Oh well. I kinda figured outer worlds wasn't gonna fit the bill but I was hopeful. I was excited deathloop got put on ps plus today but apparently it's a rogue like and I can't stand those so.

Deathloop is not a roguelite lol. I wonder how much Bethesda's marketing department regrets putting loop in the title. You might like it, it's in the immersive sim tradition but fundamentally an action FPS. Has its flaws but there's some cool unique stuff there too. The invasion multiplayer is cool and probably getting a shot in the arm since it's getting an update, Xbox release, and crossplay.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Hoffadoff posted:

Well then maybe I'll give it a shot. The psn description made it sound like you have 1 day to kill 8 targets and if you don't it resets and you try again. But maybe I'm a dummy and just read it wrong.

It's more Majora's Mask than roguelite. Narrative focused immersive sim with a heavy bent toward action that happens to take place in a time loop. You don't start trying to kill all 8 targets until late in the game, you have to work up to it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

DF put up an interview with one of the journalists who got to play a few games on PSVR2, timestamped link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPJxRCD6xb8&t=45s

The guy hasn't used an Index so he's not able to compare with it, but he's spent a lot of time with PC VR generally and it sounds like PSVR2 blows every other headset on the market out of the water.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Brightman posted:

I'm not aware of anything that has the eye tracking built in yet, at least not anything affordable. That enables foveated rendering which is a big deal, only the poo poo you're actually looking at will be max settings so you can save on resources, assuming it works well and isn't like how LOD is in existing games. Should be a big jump in image quality.

Yeah that plus the high res display should make for a very sharp image. They specifically call out the quality of detail in distant objects. Dude mentions seeing a distant waterfall in the Horizon game and being wowed by its clarity

acksplode
May 17, 2004

haveblue posted:

There's a good chance the PSVR 2 is significantly more expensive than the Quest 2, don't sell it until we at least know that much

e: Never mind, I hadn't seen that the 2 is now up to $400-500 which is also what I think is the price ceiling for the PSVR 2

When I saw the Quest 2 MSRPs get bumped by $100 my immediate thought was that someone at Sony had a wish granted. Apple sabotaged FB's money printer and that removed a massive hurdle for Sony and anyone else who wants to sell VR kits

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gay Retard posted:

I know Facebook is losing all sorts of money on the Quest 2, and it's a fine enough entry-level VR headset (Great for BeatSaber!), but PSVR2 looks like a whole different experience with the eye tracking and dual sense controls/vibrations.

Totally agree, but that's stuff that's hard to appreciate without using it hands on or being a well informed enthusiast. And Sony will need to make sure there's a library in place that shows off those features, I have concerns there based on the number of PS5 games (0). I wouldn't want the task of explaining foveated rendering to a normie who's wondering why the PSVR kit is more expensive than a Quest 2 before you even consider the PS5, especially in this economic environment. If the kits have a comparable price point then it'll be less of an uphill battle to compete.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

PSVR2 looks very good, although they dropped the ball with no onboard audio nor straps on the controllers. I’m sure someone will make straps like 3rd parties did for Quest, but the audio thing is gonna be a fun surprise when people realize they need yet another wireless device on their head.

I'm glad that they'll let me plug my fancy earbuds into a headphone jack like PSVR did, instead of dealing with built-ins that are compromised on quality to keep cost down

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Jelly posted:

I know the best anyone can really do is speculate but is the PSVR2 supposed to be kinder to motion sickness prone weak loser humans like myself?

I barely used my PSVR1 at all because of that.

I haven't heard about any features with that specifically in mind, and tbh I'm not sure what Sony could do with the hardware to address the root problem that your eyes and inner ear are giving your brain conflicting info. They already did a solid job with PSVR1 when it came to enforcing high and stable framerates and keeping latency low. Depending on what you're sensitive to, PSVR2's wider FOV could actually make motion sickness worse -- reduced FOV is a common comfort feature in games. I think it's ultimately up to developers to design around sensitive players and add features to accommodate them. I'm pretty sensitive to motion sickness so I feel ya. The only thing that's worked for me has been spending more time in VR, and ending a session once I feel the slightest hint of nausea.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I have played a bunch of VR both PSVR and with PC headsets and the only thing that ever made me feel sick as hell was RIGS.

I don’t know why. Any other game I can play with all the comfort poo poo turned off, but 10 minutes in RIGS and I’m ready to throw up.

gently caress RIGS, it brought my first day with PSVR1 to a pretty miserable end. Walking up ramps was iffy, then I jumped once and that was it. Barely avoided puking, had to lay down for half an hour to settle my stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i rearranged some stuff, should be easier to get to now

Good OP. I forgot that Tunic hits PS5 so soon! I'm reluctant to hype it up based on how Inscryption went ITT, but discerning gamers who can withstand a little confusion without racing to google or newreply.php will be richly rewarded.