Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Finally getting around to ff7 remake
Anyone here see an issue if I just set the combat to easy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Franchescanado posted:

I'm just now getting around to playing Dad of War. Not far into it, still waiting for it to open up, but it is fun.

I played it on normal and didn't find the combat difficult until around Chapter 9.

Maybe I’m just an idiot but I can’t seem to figure out how combat is supposed to work.
Granted I’m not far along in the game but does anyone have some general rules for combat in this game?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I will never buy another sports game ever again

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Oxxidation posted:

not me, the game was usually pretty good about defaulting to whoever i wanted to slice up without forcing it

Yea same
Tried lock on for about an hour and just didn’t like it. I think eventually no lock on just clicked

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I wouldn’t even mind them milking gta 6 with all the micro transactions and poo poo they’ve done with 5 if they could do it in a less ham fisted way.
Like if you can incentivize me spending money on it with something other than paying to not get death lasered by a 14 year old as soon as a log in then I might think about it
Just never felt like I wanted to spend any money on it

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I think I would like Returnal more it kept the graphics, atmosphere, sci fi , sound design and haptic controls but was just like, a third person sci fi dead space 1esque game

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Vintersorg posted:

Weird, always thought it meant "standout". :lol:

E: It's not this?

"A sexual act involving a married woman inserting a diamond ring in the rear end."

If I put a diamond ring up my rear end it would be a diamond in the jungle

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

veni veni veni posted:

I played through Prodeus on PC about a year ago with a gamepad and it feels great. Zero issues. tbh I think it felt just as good to play as the new Doom games if not better. Personally I liked it more than Eternal overall.

My only gripe with Prodeus (and I don't know if it's been changed since) was that the checkpointing was kind of stupid unless you care about scores. Basically you just respawn and all of the enemies you killed stay dead which makes it feel like there isn't really any challenge (although you will get a crappy score if you die a lot) Game could have really used a lives system or something. iirc the hardest mode doesn't have checkpoints but lol. No way I can beat that.

Otherwise it's the best boomer shooter I have played by a wide margin.

I bought it a few months ago and it really is a beautiful frenetic gore fest that feels really good to play and has excellent sound design too.
hosed with some custom maps and really dug those too.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

fridge corn posted:

I'm downloading stellaris god help me

I’m curious if the controls are any good. Played on PC but can’t imagine doing that poo poo with a controller

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I may be the only one but I miss Bust

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Are the haptics for proteus anything special?
Downloaded it on my series x from gamepass but wondered if it’d be worth switching over to piss5

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

The worst part of Disco Elysium is it’s fandom

Edit: the best part is the actual game

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Casnorf posted:

same tho

lately all i ever want is head empty no thoughts cause gently caress man

Same
Reading this thread is one of the ways I keep my head empty and I mean that in the best way.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Disco Elysium fandom is as lame as all fandoms but it is a fabulous game and I can’t wait to buy zaums next game
I think I beat it twice and got like 40 hours from it money well spent
I may start a new run never went facist or mean to Kim route, might be hard tho
The OST is awesome

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

bop bop perano posted:

Listen bitch, i didn’t do that to casnorf, I simply bought him the game and didn’t say much more. I only do that when I *know* that someone will love something, and I know they’re planning on playing it so it’s less of me begging them and more just making a dumb joke about me being impatient. look at veeg, admittedly I bugged them for months about playing both outer wilds, but even moreso with echoes of the eye, because I knew that he would have the reaction that he did and it was amazing. And I guess I also nagged him about the last guardian too, but he also loved that!

As for bp and my nagging, that’s because BP (and veni really) basically got me back into video games, like, prior to late 2016, I had kinda stopped playing games when I started middle school, aside from super popular ones like fallout 3 or bioshock Infinite or portal 1 and 2. But one of the last games i played that I really fell in love with was shadow of the colossus either in 2005 or 2006, and the day they announced project Trico aka the last guardian, I absolutely couldn’t wait and I watched the trailer with the music from miller’s crossing like a thousand times. I even bought my parents ps3 off of them that they bought to watch blu rays and never used, and then when it came out I bought a ps4 just to play it. I only had TLG and uncharted 4, and I played TLG repeatedly, like 6-7 times until I had nearly every trophy except the bullshit ‘hear every hint’ one, and then I tried uncharted 4, and played for like 5 hours straight and it did nothing for me, probably because I was playing it right after TLG, a game that I’d been waiting like 8 years for that lived up to every expectation and more.

So anyways, I didn’t post much on SA before that, but I was excited about TLG and asked if there were any more ps4 games like TLG, and BP and veni were both like play Bloodborne just trust me. And I hated it at first and thought it was a sick joke, but then obviously it became one of my favorite games. But by playing those two games back to back, I fell in love with video games again, and literally since then, I’ve played an insane amount of brilliant games, thanks to this forum, or the ps4 thread specifically and BP and veni.

So I have a certain level of respect for BP for that (and Veni) and we also tend to enjoy similar games. But in addition to bp playing a single hour of outer wilds in December, then not playing it at all until like a week ago, he kept saying that it was ‘next’ on his list, and I was mostly trolling when I’d nag him to play it. But also I’m genuinely curious what he thinks of the game, both because I enjoy it so much and also because it’s unlike any other game I can think of.

Sorry that was a very cringe earnest post, but I can’t have esco busting my balls in public like this, this is the second time in a week !!

Edit: That was a bad snipe. I like a lot of games, but outer wilds and disco elysium for me are just like actual masterpieces, that go so far above and beyond any other game I’ve played that I can’t help but get excited about them and want friends to get the chance to experience as well. Is that so bad esco !! I played nier automata initially, in part because of how much the forums enjoyed it, but also because you had a 9S avatar that looked cool, and it’s one of my favorite games of all time!

You started middle school prior to 2016?!

Edit: oh I guess I did too nevermind misinterpreted that

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

bloodychill posted:

A lot of people will say the worst JRPG song is the New LA day theme from Xenoblade Chronicles X. And to them, I say "have you played Evergrace?" Enter the town theme made to give you a panic attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGJbuHUbw8k

That may be the worst song I have ever heard
It made me feel itchy and uncomfortable

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

bop bop perano posted:

do you like the soundtrack for abzu? i love journey's soundtrack, but Abzu is probably my favorite of the two, but i've been making orchestral covers of video game soundtrack music to practice making orchestral stuff of my own and austin wintory has put up most of the sheet music for his soundtracks and i did this super quickly but it still sounds decent despite that because he's just so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFT6Jjx-iQs

Daaaang good stuff Perano!

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Honestly I hope Sony does something quick, the Series X is looking more and more like the better console

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

competition is good

I agree I just want Sony to do something for goodness sake

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

WHERE'S MAH GOT DAM CORN THEME SONY?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Lmao at signing up for a credit card based on my gaming habit maybe if I thought I could hide it from my wife but I can’t I already tried

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Quantum of Phallus posted:

From worst to best :hmmyes:

I’m sorry someone dented your head bro

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I bought an LG C1 after learning about it first from someone in this thread and doing some research. It’s really great.

I preordered Modern Warfare 2 (albeit for series X) and I’m pretty impressed with the campaign so far I’m about 10 missions in give or take.

The gun feel and sound design are terrific
Graphically it is sexy
The missions have been varied and exciting

I like schlocky action movies hoorah poo poo and it is scratching that itch

The voice acting is great

I bought it as a way to get back into gaming with some cross country pals and was pleasantly surprised to be liking the campaign as much as I have been

Didn’t get in on the beta so I am excited to check online play out next week

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I like reading this thread when I get time during the day and before bed and value the hours of enjoyment it has given me

From Vgs eternal optimism and sheer love for gaming to thread regulars slicing and dicing with well thought out and sometimes oppositional opinions on games I have never and may never play

Gaming is great and reading about gaming from gamers on this dead forum is great too

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

2nd play through of the game of the year(s) Elden Ring

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

The Perfect Element posted:

I beat the stonedigger troll!! I must have attempted it over 20 times, usually whittling him down to about a third, using a noble sorcerer sprit Ash to distract him while keeping my distance ... This time I just hung out by his legs and went to town on him, and took him down pretty quickly.

FEELS GOOD MAN!

Nice! Ride that high dude, game is goat

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Nuts and Gum posted:

There is definitely a weird paradigm with games in that they’re mostly known for one mechanic - killing things. Inputs have evolved into controllers with triggers because the #1 thing you do with them is simulate a gun, a melee swing, or pushing down on a cars gas pedal.

To use these instruments to say violence is bad isn’t inherently at odds, but when you build an entire game around murdering humans with exquisite detail and then say you shouldn’t have done that!! is…well, idk what else the devs were supposed to do. Make a walking simulator I guess? Or make killing not fun so you instead hug your mom and play outside…

Maybe the question is why is shooting stuff so god drat fun? Why don’t humans default to games that depict us helping each other instead of competition and violent spectacle?

im gay

Did you ever play Spec Ops : the Line ?

Good game in my opinion

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Finally got around to watching the Northman
Good rear end movie

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

When I was watching the Northman apparently I was flapping my hands at my side which I have always done in moments of high anxiety/excitement since I was a kid and my wife came down and saw me and told me that is a sign of autism so I might actually be autistic

Couldn’t pick a better movie to find that out with though

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Kilometers Davis posted:

After reading the first sentence I was saying “oh hey, autism” in my head ahaha

It’s a thing! Now have fun realizing how all your other “weird” reactions and habits can be figured out and processed through this lens :D

Thanks Kilometers Davis
I always knew I liked your posts I just couldn’t figure out why 😉

In all seriousness I hope you enjoy the movie
It is a very good movie in my opinion
Someone in this thread was talking about it wayyy back I’d love to get a heat check on it since it’s at least a 9/10 in my book

SilkyP fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 3, 2022

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

All I know is I will buy Elden Ring DLC no matter what
Even if I wasn’t going to play it I would still buy it to make a statement

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Brightman posted:

I and pretty much most of the goons posting in the Hitman thread got into the Freelancer Technical Test that's running right now. It's on Steam but progress doesn't carry over anyway, also my PC doesn't run it as well as my PS5, so that's fun.

The short of it: Rogue-lite Hitman is good, it changes things up, and maintains a good flow between missions.

The objectives it gives you often have you deviate from the perfect silent assassin run, even asking you to kill guards and other non-targets sometimes. I've run into different item and npc placements, sometimes it makes your starting point rather difficult so you have to improvise, etc. Really gets one out of the usual rut that's easy to fall into with the base game.

It is a bit tough at first when you just have a single pistol with no silencer, making some objectives impossible to complete, but after acquiring new toys over 4 or 5 missions it gets into a really nice spot, although maybe I was just lucky. I'm really looking forward to the full release.

Sounds pretty cool, I definitely want to give it a whirl

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Watched The Witch and the The Lighthouse and this Eggers fellow seems like someone to keep an eye on these are all solid in my book

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I may be alone on this but I like QTEs.
Fell in love with them when I first played Shenmue on my Dreamcast years ago

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Probably helps that I can mash buttons at an incredible rate, it’s my gift and my curse

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Like if my character is blade to blade with the bad guy I feel like mashing a button to overpower him make me feel more immersed

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

acksplode posted:

Shenmue took its QTEs seriously, long action set pieces loaded with prompts that would often branch rather than end on failure. At the other end of the scale is stuff like RE4 with QTEs that are either busywork or an occasional pop quiz to make sure you're still holding the controller halfway through a cutscene. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Shenmue's approach in modern games.

Yea I agree if a game is gonna use QTEs there should be more branching
I think the Dark Pictures games did this?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Decades posted:

Hell yeah :hfive:

Yeah I foresee getting sucked deep into elden ring.

Elden Ring brought me to a sense of wonder and interest I hadn’t felt for a video game in a long time. The sheer process of discovering the game consumed my available free time for like a month and that poo poo rarely happens to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I’m kind of tempted to watch a play through of dad of war 2018 so I can blow 70 bucks on the new hotness. This thread is making me thirsty for a new piss 5 game. Tactics ogre looks great too I just wish I had a steam deck since it seems like a perfect play in bed game