Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Mmm that new thread smell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m very proud of us as a group

I'm mostly impressed that the amount by which poster #1 beat poster #2 would alone be poster #6

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

watching skill up’s forspoken preview and I actually really like the combat graphics and environmental design (that huge stone arch is a lovely piece of scenery), but his evasiveness about anything that involves plot or dialogue is ominous and the gameplay itself looks an awful lot like open world icon hunting

I haven't watched the whole video, but early on he mentions he's playing a special press build which has no story content (which might also be a bad sign in and of itself)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hades protip: you can access the boon catalog from the pick boon screen and look up the requirements of duo boons so you can aim for them to drop in the future

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not that excited about a video game version of Guess Who

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why do we care what the guy who tried to buy baby yoda thinks about video games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The S has a much better CPU than the 4, it just has too little GPU to do 4K

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
PS5s are easier to find now than they have ever been, but try to get one before the real christmas season starts because they'll probably get scarce again from rising demand

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The opening hour of NFW goes real hard on exposition dumps and catching up, there’s a lot more mandatory talking than in HZD (or the later parts of HFW, for that matter)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Outer Wilds is a continuous string of revelations, that’s why people are so reticent to go into detail about anything. The major gameplay gimmick should reveal itself within the hour, though, yeah

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Megasabin posted:

Going to start Horizon Forbidden West. Are there any must-know tips prior to starting? Anything on the level of how in the first game it was a huge time-saver not to bother with any weapon upgrades until you got to the capital, where you skip the other ties and get access to purple gear.

Your basic bow is now poo poo at close-range engagements, that space was carved out for the new warrior bow weapon type

The first mission is very heavy on dialog and exposition dumps, once you get to the open world proper it lets up (somewhat)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Outer Wilds is scary because the universe is completely indifferent to your presence. You're exploring a vast clockwork mechanism that was not built with you in mind. All around you are gears grinding on a cosmic scale and you cannot affect their course, only stay out of their way because if you get caught in them they will simply grind on without you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wait OW PS5 is a whole new trophy set? I kinda want to replay it now

Except that replaying a game like that will just feel like going through the motions because you can never get back the a-ha moments

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
whennnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vikar Jerome posted:

i dont get how tho, is it the lightbar stuff?

It's more that support for the very specific PSVR 1 hardware was baked into all the games and there's no way to slip in the new hardware and have them automatically know how to use it

The lightbar is part of it insofar as the PSVR 2 can't track a DS4 or dual sense, so any game that uses that would have to be redesigned, but it's also about how the headset sensors report their position and the positions of the controllers to the game

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"we gotta find a way to make this *holds up oculus rift dev kit* fit into the holes on this *holds up PS4* using nothing but that *gestures to pile of Sony engineering patents*"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That is the exact point where a playtester displayed frustration

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Tried the Wo Long demo and it's OK I guess. Is there really nothing you can do about red dot attacks other than parry with correct timing? I keep getting my rear end kicked by a tiger

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

History Comes Inside! posted:

Doesn’t the DS3 have analogue face buttons which were used in like 3 games ever but would be missing with an adapter solution?

Yes, but I think all you lose is some CQC options in MGS4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vikar Jerome posted:

i dont mean to keep flooding the pages about gta6 (well...) but this is just getting more and more hilarious

the hacker woke up and asked for rockstar to contact them, assumption was he was gonna try and ransom them out but then they get this email

ubisoft? :shrug:

“XMR” is Monero aka crypto bullshit so at best a non-serious offer

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bop bop perano posted:

oh i missed this, but i mean the whole game was an issue for me, i really do get scared easily. are there actual underwater levels in the game? cause i only got to the part where you sort of escape the first area and see that you're underwater in a bioshock-style city or lab or something.

You barely even started the game, I don't think you even got to the point where there's a real threat present. And yes, you spend a significant amount of time on the open seabed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

curried lamb of God posted:

I haven't gamed on a PC in more than a decade, but it also seems like "total conversion" mods like Counter-Strike or TFC have gone by the wayside - apparently game engines are way too complex these days for an amateur team to build those types of mods.

It's a combination of a lot of things:

-Like you say, modern games are far too large and complex for a team of a few unpaid hobbyists to make significant changes to them in a reasonable time. There are more than a few projects that started out as mods but were forced to evolve into actual businesses with paid full-time developers (the first one that comes to mind is Black Mesa)

-For a bunch of reasons (but mostly in-game storefronts and cheating in multiplayer) studios are less amenable to modding now and don't give it the support or engine features it needs

-Indie development has gotten a lot easier and more accessible, so your game idea doesn't need to piggyback on an existing game to be developed, distributed, or noticed

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And if you want to make a true TC that replaces most or all of the original game assets, just fire up Unity or Unreal or whatever

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bloodychill posted:

Watch Dogs suffered really heavily from the hype to launch reality in a way few games since have. They did not manage expectations well. It certainly didn’t help that the protagonist looked like a total anti-corporate badass avenging his dead family in the early material and ended up being a weird dork who was avenging his niece who was also still alive (?) and that he had actually hurt in a car accident.

He ended up being a weird dork and the entire game ended up being GTA with magic cell phones

Watchdogs 2 is night-and-day better because it does fulfill the promise to a much greater extent

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I will give them this, the hide-and-seek invasion multiplayer was fun as hell

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Watch Dogs 2 was ok. Still very much a Ubisoft tower climbing simulator but with a little drone instead of climbing though.

The big thing WD2 adds is a lighthearted approach to the subject matter. WD1 is, like above, GTA with magic cell phones- the same dour gritty protagonist, the same too-realistic setting, the same focus on the underworld, the same encouragement to solve everything with firearms. The enemies are, from what I recall, mostly gang bosses and the tech is just window dressing and an excuse to have more moves available in combat scenarios. WD2, meanwhile, starts with the tech and lets it inspire everything. The setting is now a silicon valley dotcom utopia, brighter and happier and looser and more fun than the first one. The conflict is between the snarky younger generation and the rear end in a top hat tech bro who filled the city with cameras and drones. You have allies now, and they have personalities. Firearms are present, but not *necessary*- you can, and I did, play through almost the entire game with just a taser, gadgets, and the basic melee weapon. The missions are more imaginative and funnier and generally oriented around problem-solving rather than eliminating the opposition.

That said, it's still an Ubisoft open world, but I had so much more fun with 2 it's hard to believe it came out of the same team/company

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Noob Saibot posted:

Is he a hacktivist?

He ends up shutting down a black hat thief so I guess?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A strong roguelike nose, hints of metroidvania and brawler, with a subtle deckbuilding finish

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Returnal doesn’t really have builds in the normal sense. 90% of your build is your gun, which is totally random. The rest is just window dressing, unless you pick up the one thing that enables one other play style (get health for kills instead of pickups) or if you accidentally get a really bad malfunction and then your run is just hosed if you can’t immediately get rid of it

It makes up for this by letting your thumbskill determine your success to a greater degree than most other roguelikes

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don’t watch anything about outer wilds until you’re done with it, all of the value and strength of the game is in the process of discovery. Even if the video is “spoiler-free” there’s no reason to watch it immediately

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I loved Dishonored and Prey but somehow I never got around to Deathloop. I think I didn't have a PS5 until well after its heyday and by then there were other games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bungie is working on a brand new IP right now. It's not clear what will happen to Destiny after the next two expansions, the latter of which was described as "the conclusion of the saga"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

If they want to keep the GaaS treadmill going they could always start unvaulting poo poo and doing throwback events that are outside the canon of their precious saga, or just make up some space bullshit to make them canon.

Timewalking worked for Blizzard for a while.

There was a season involving a time machine, but it’s been vaulted :ironicat:

Evil Badman posted:

They're not vaulting stuff anymore.

They’re not vaulting major expansions, but they’re still clearing out seasonal content every year

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is Hardspace Shipbreaker actually out? It doesn’t show up at all on store search

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I had to drill down into the master PS5 games list to find it. Gonna hardbreak some spaceships

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I had always planned to post one when there was a price and specific date announced, but if they're starting a big marketing push I may as well do it now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's a good chance the PSVR 2 is significantly more expensive than the Quest 2, don't sell it until we at least know that much

e: Never mind, I hadn't seen that the 2 is now up to $400-500 which is also what I think is the price ceiling for the PSVR 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I’ve blown up a few fuel tanks but my only deaths so far have both been from accidentally flying into the processor

Very good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m purchasing it as soon as it goes on sale. Elite Dangerous VR here I come oh how I have always longed for you.

Elite Dangerous on PS does not support VR, and last time I checked they had abandoned console development entirely. Unless you're planning to hack it onto your PC, it's probably not happening