Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I would like it if square never used a forced walking-speed change ever again. I would rather just see loading screens then ever have to slowly crawl through another loving crack in the wall again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dewgy posted:

Remake being a totally different game and actually a sequel

Wait, what?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you wanna play it unspoiled just play it otherwise the ending goes totally off the rails and you end up moving the game into a different timeline instead of just following the plot of the original

There are things throughout that kind of hint at this so it’s not just out of left field.

Oh I guess I don't remember the original FF7 well enough to have realized that. I played it once when it came out in high school and never again.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Just heard about the GOW TV show, That's God Of War not Gears OF War, which is also getting a TV show. Lol why is the new thing? Hoovering up literally every game IP and turning it into some crappy show. Games make bad movies and TV. Did we learn nothing from the 90's?

Cause Arcane was miraculously actually good

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I just use the phone app and click on the plus symbol and the games are right there to add

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
That trailer was sweet

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cowman posted:

Totally making this answer up but she says that Clive would be good "on the front lines" meaning she wants him to die in battle as front lines are the most likely to die. Just guessing here but I would assume that she wants him humiliated as he was supposed to protect the kid but failed. Rather than have him die valiantly protecting the kid he's sent to the front lines as punishment for failing to save him. It's more public humiliation alongside execution.

That's how I interpreted it but I'm assuming that I'll be way off base. It is odd in retrospect though.

This is how I interpreted it, she doesn't know he's the main character so from her perspective sending him to a death in the horrors of the frontline is a better punishment than giving him a quick death right there. Just one little extra bit of malice from her.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Oldstench posted:

So is FF15 even worth playing? I just keep hearing about how it killed everyone's dog or whatever.

I think your backlog has to be pretty small and your free time pretty extensive to say it's worth playing. It's like a 5-6/10 at best.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Octopath 2 is extremely good except I wish the starting character wasn't locked into your party :(

e: just looked it up and apparently eventually I will be able to change

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

fridge corn posted:

I didn't take my starter out of my party even after I could cuz I picked the best starter :D

I picked Ochette who is very good in combat but her out-of-combat skills haven't been very useful so far.

Harrow posted:

As someone who got bored much earlier than halfway through the first one, absolutely yes. It's one of the most improved sequels I've ever seen.

I didn't play Octo1 but I'm like 15 hours into Octo2 so far and it's by far the best throwback jrpg I can remember playing. Like if you are a fan of FF4/6 I can't imagine not enjoying it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Thankfully most game designers realized total realism loving sucks like a decade or so ago and instead started leaning back into making poo poo that's fun instead

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The best use of realism in games is Sam stumbling around and dropping all his packages in death stranding

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
OT2 has made me care about characters and story in an RPG in ways I rarely do. Some of the voice acting is cheesy but overall it's so good.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

triple sulk posted:

octopath traveler was poo poo and I refuse to fall for the fool me once for another. maybe if it falls to ten bucks

unless they made every plot at least as decent as the dancer's and branching dialogue trees for every permutation of the order in which you acquire the characters then I'm not really interested because bravely default combat was never all that good to begin with

this is a hot take, I'm aware

More Octopath for me, then

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Fix posted:

Wear your headphones.

I just got the Inzone H9s so it's finally time to play Returnal

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Oh god terras theme playing over the opening credits still gives me chills just like it did hearing it for the first time nearly 30 years ago

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I still haven't used Mug because I feel bad for the NPCs

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Agnea best, they practically thank you for taking their stuff

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I went in completely blind and literally said to myself "jesus that was dark" at the end of Throne chapter 1

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I was disappointed when the combat started in the Rise of Ronin trailer, the enemies looked like such damage sponges. Taking like 20 solid slashes of a katana to kill some random villager just killed the vibe for me.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I had so much more fun with Intermission than with the main game, Yuffie's combat style is a huge upgrade over any of the original cast

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

https://youtu.be/hY9lSAZQfbk?si=9nFsO67htoyGLt7M

This looks cool.

Rebirth demo bored me tbh. I don’t have the luxury of having played FFVII as a child so I don’t have nostalgia hooks like many others do. I could never finish the first remastered game because of the boring level design and awkward dialogue. This is a bit better in terms of world design, but handles way worse and the dialogue has gotten even less mature. I’d consider playing it in another language just so I didn’t have to hear these people talk. I appreciate how revolutionary the original was. It’s like this studio has figured out copium and nostalgia mix like heroin and Tylenol PM for gamers. It’s crazy how people talk about these remasters.

If you didn't finish it, I can see that. I was not a fan of FF7 original so I didn't have big nostalgia glasses on, and I didn't really think the remake came into its own until the second half of the game. The last quarter of the game was really good though, and the DLC was amazing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Vikar Jerome posted:

The biggest ps5 game of year is going to be talked about in the sony playstation 5 thread, which is the thread youre posting in right now, sorry to bring this to your attention

Also a game that just dropped a demo a day ago and comes out in a few weeks

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

What if God was one of us
Just a geek like one of us

Washes feet like one of us

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I still haven't even finished Elden Ring, PS5 has far too many games I want to play compared to the amount of time I have for gaming

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

hey mom its 420 posted:

also PC is cool if you like PC but I like the ultimate utility and comfort of downloading a game while at work and then just crashing on the couch and playing it right away. desks suck!

That's what Steamdeck is for

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

acksplode posted:

I thought the conventional wisdom was that you lose money or maybe break even on the first game and then you start making money with the sequels because you can reuse tooling and infra and assets, but after the Insomniac leak put SM2's budget at $300m I don't know what to believe anymore. If other franchises are on that same path then things are really bleak

That YouTube vid posted up thread touched on this, but the development time for these AAA games has gotten so long that this doesn't even sound that plausible because it takes at least half a console generation just to make one game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

I played Remake while having almost no awareness of the original FF7. It was pretty much my first FF anything. I don’t think it impacted my enjoyment that much. I played disc one of the OG before Rebirth and it’s kind of neat to see how stuff has been fleshed out, but I don’t know that it’s that transformative to the experience.

If you’re extremely nostalgic for the OG it’s probably enhanced by the pleasure of seeing locations and characters realized in a vivid way, like watching the LotR trilogy was for book fans. But I don’t think it’s a barrier to entry.

It's not just nostalgia at seeing familiar locations and things like that, the stories are actually intertwined/referential, people aren't joking when they say it's not a remake it's a sequel.

That said, I haven't played the original since it first came out, and I mostly got the above from watching Youtube videos about it after I played and enjoyed Remake, so I agree that you don't *need* to play both.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Hey this thread loves JRPGs right

With the outpouring of love for Toriyama since his passing and recently being lasered in on Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth it occurs to me I've never played a single Dragon Quest game despite playing through multiple Final Fantasies and Chrono Trigger

They always looked a little generic, but since the entire conceit of Like A Dragon is "what if guy had brain damage that made him think his life was Dragon Quest" and I love them I'm wondering if they're worth seeking out?

8, 9, and 11 are all really good. The DS remake of 4 is also good. Those are the ones I remember standing out.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

it had gas stations with bulletin boards but that barely counts

one thing that really annoyed me about FFXV when i tried replaying it a few years ago is that the very first mission you get, to look for that big bird, has cool witcher-style moments of tracking it and talking about it, and not only does that never really happen again for any of the hunts but that bird never comes up again in the plot, its just a high level optional hunt you can do via dream traveling later

i know the game was basically unfinished but it introduces like a dozen cool things in the first hour and doesnt pay off most of them

This is the entire game yeah. The first few hours are like holy poo poo this is awesome and then you find out that's the whole game and then get ushered through a bunch of half-baked linear poo poo for like 7 more hours and then it's done.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
When I saw the huge epic bosses I mostly felt like "holy poo poo this is awesome"

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Videogames often have very cool art, which is a lot more than you can say about most tattoos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Both Sonic movies are really fun, Jim Carrey owns and Idris Elba as Knuckles was great