Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never finished DR1 because the AI for the survivors was as dumb as a box of rocks

In DR2 and beyond they fixed it, thankfully

The survivor AI in 1 is much better if you give people directions instead of having them follow you automatically. To like, a stupid degree. They go from completely useless to zombie mulching machines when they have a goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

History Comes Inside! posted:

Nobody wants this it sucked bad

I want it because it owns. And, I will die on this hill, it’s canon. Prove me wrong!!!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Is Yakuza Like a Dragon a good starting point for that series? Or is it too much of a spin-off to be a good intro? I’ve been interested in that series for a while but I have no idea where to start at this point, and Ishin looks rad so I’d like to get at least one Yakuza game under my belt before I pick that up.

I’d start with 0 to be honest. While Yakuza LAD is a decent start point in that it pretty nicely introduces you to the world and tone of the series, you miss out on a ton of backstory that was established in the prior seven games, and even get some of it spoiled for you.

Judgment also wouldn’t be a bad start point either if you want to play something more modern, but it’s not quite up to Y0’s level of being amazing. Lost Judgment has some spoilers for Y7 in it though, so beware the sequel if you care about that kind of thing.

Full canon order, imo:

0, K1, K2, 3, 4, Dead Souls, 5, 6, Judgment, LaD, Lost Judgment.

You can skip Dead Souls if you don’t have a PS3 / are a coward, but you’ll probably know by the time you get there if you want to play a janky zombie side game or not. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinitum posted:

Judgement is a stand alone series set in the Yakuza universe.

HOWEVER it does not deal with any characters from the Yakuza games, there are no cameos, and you do not need previous knowledge of the Yakuza series.

LJ has a couple of cameos though!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fix posted:

Couldn't even begin to tell you, but here's the last trailer they put out. Noting that they worked on Dead or Alive Extreme Volleyball is a pretty incredible flex for this sort of game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w4r9aOqlhA

This is giving me some serious mid-80s anime OVA energy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Cyrano4747 posted:

Even the S is significantly better than the PS4. The new CyberPunk expansion isn't releasing on the PS4 or XBONE, for example, but is available on the S.

Ya know I don’t really think this is conclusive of anything given how bad the base game’s performance is on last gen lol

Sounds more like CDPR threw their hands in the air and gave up because their game’s performance is hot garbo and the new consoles cover up for it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JBP posted:

Yeah but I don't think ray tracing is going full stride this gen while also maintaining frames and fidelity. That being said who knows what the computer wizards will be cooking up once this gen is another year old.

I think that’s the right way to look at it, lower spec’d RT capabilities mean you can’t just shove more power at the problem, and devs can focus on efficiency to get better results, which means that when more powerful RT stuff is introduced then they can really hit the ground running.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Quantum of Phallus posted:

every time Sony makes up some bullshit reason about backwards compatibility not working, you just have to remember they literally made the hardware

I mean, having used said original hardware extensively, I can pretty easily see why the new version isn’t backwards compatible. :v:

The PR speak response of “it’s a true next generation experience” is dumb as hell, mind you, but the lack of BC at least does make sense.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Also my understanding of the problems aside if Deracine doesn’t get a VR2 port I am going to poo poo on Sony’s lawn in retaliation.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

The main thing about VR that has me disenfranchised has nothing to do with the technology, which has improved significantly since it gained traction in 2016 and everything to do with the lack of support from the industry.

This is what made me a big fan of PSVR to be honest. It’s a relatively niche thing, but Sony’s support for it (and for devs using it) was and is pretty drat good. Having dedicated console hardware to use it with and a mandated baseline of performance both help a ton compared to PCVR setups or even something like the Quest, and I really hope they can knock it out of the park in that respect with the PSVR2.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Real hurthling! posted:

Tethered vr is way less appealing now in 2022 than 2016. The cost is going to be high, the library is going to be small, and the distraction of supporting it is going to make even bigger gaps in 1st party releases for the regular console.

I dont see them outselling psvr 1 when oculus is cheaper than a switch, no tether, bigger library, and theres not the same vr hype as when psvr 1 launched and vr was the biggest new thing in gaming.

I think they are just gonna try and get all you 1 owners to rebuy beat saber before ghosting you on software support after 18 months

I mean, RE8 VR’s a launch title and it looks better than RE7 VR, which was pretty much totally worth the asking price of the whole deal. If that’s all I get out of it, then so be it, I’m OK with this.

Besides, new PSVR1 poo poo is still coming out pretty often. Not a lot of first party stuff for a while now but if you’re into it there’s still poo poo to play.

I get that “PSVR enthusiast” is kind of an edge case but I never really felt like it got abandoned or anything.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah i dont want anyone to feel bad about being excited i just think theres no growth for teathered console vr at like 900 dollar buy in for both units

I think the tradeoff is the games are going to be able to look incredible, and Sony’s probably keeping up their hard-rear end stance on performance minimums.

Is it gonna change the industry? Eh, maybe not, but it should be a pretty quality thing. (And nothing stopping them from making a wireless version down the line. Gotta make those early adopters get FOMO somehow!)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rageaholic posted:

Is there a way to toggle the Dualsense's mic off in the settings? I know now that you press the button under the PS button to mute it (I didn't know that until yesterday when I saw that my mic was on in-game in the Modern Warfare 2 beta, which wasn't what I wanted), but like I have to do that every time I wake the system out of rest mode. It'd be nice to have it muted unless you press the button on the controller, which is how I thought it worked until yesterday.

You can change the default by going to the Settings menu, Sound, Microphone, Microphone Status When Logged In.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Noob Saibot posted:

100% guarantee this hack will be the end of work from home jobs

lol no

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Escobarbarian posted:

Just to be clear: Outer Wilds is not an fps in the slightest. The only weapons you get are radio signal things and language translators. It is, however, incredible

Just to be clear: Outer Worlds is not Outer Wilds.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Aipsh posted:

Gonna riot if this doesn’t come to Piss5 or PissVR2

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1572372646012260353?s=21

Seeing this thing pop up in the Making Games Megathread from time to time has been a real hoot toot. Great to see it getting attention, and hell yes it should get a console port.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

StormDrain posted:

What's the vibe on VR? It looks cool. I like Vr games. I'll probably get it.

I’m real hype for it. As far as hardware goes it sounds like they’re knocking it out of the park, and if Sony’s approach to software cert holds over from the PSVR1 there’ll be a really consistent performance floor across all the games for it.

I think the unique features the HW has are:
• Rumble in the headset
• Force feedback triggers like the DualSense
• First HDR OLED display in a VR headset (not sure if this is still true)
• Piggybacks off the PS5 so it has the SSD and 3D audio available

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

WaltherFeng posted:

Is this a remake or a port?

Arist posted:

It's a remake yea

It’s kind of in between a port and a remake from what I can tell TBH. Unlike say Kiwami or Kiwami 2 which were completely overhauled, the gameplay in this one looks like it’s been pretty much untouched from the original.

The biggest jump is in the graphics because it’s running on Unreal 4, which is how the Tony Hawk remasters worked too.

Should be pretty drat good whether or not you split that particular hair though, the original Ishin is supposed to be fantastic as it is.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ShoogaSlim posted:

miyazaki movies (not even all of them)

and vampire hunter d/ninja scroll

that's it. that's the list of good anime that's ever been made.

Akira fuckin’ rules :colbert:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

^^^akira is so good I need to track down a modern amazing looking copy of it

The Funimation release on iTunes is pretty good, 1080p, though listed under TV shows for some reason.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

man nurse posted:

Here’s an answer from someone who has played all of them instead of the usual “herp derp asscreed Ubisoft bad”

Syndicate is probably the most enjoyable and tightly designed of the “classic” style games, which as noted before are still open world but more focused on missions and stealth and poo poo.

Origins and Odyssey are from the current direction of the series which is more fuckoff huge action RPG. You’ll be picking up gear and loot, selling and disassembling what you don’t like, upgrading what you do. Sidequests, ridiculously large map, it’s all there. You can still stealth and spec yourself out as such. Both are very good games. Odyssey is a little better but also twice as big and full of optional content you can burn yourself out on.

I would recommend one of those depending on which style of game sounds more up your alley.

Word of warning: Do not play Syndicate on PS5. As far as I’m aware the enormous problems with the dynamic time of day lighting were never patched. Almost every shadow in the game flickers in and out of existence multiple times a second and it really sucks.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

Don't really see how goon apartments are a sustainable concept for a Silent Hill game but let's wait it out.

Silent Hill 4 was 100% about goon apartments wtf are you on about

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

Little aside I don't know how to elegantly incorporate into this post:
My eyes just about rolled out of my head when I first encountered Guinevere, but then I found the ingame lore: Gwyndolin made a hyper horny illusion of his sister to gently caress with the undead???? LMAO I take it back! I take it all back, that's hysterical.

IIRC the not-in-game explanation is pretty good too. She 100% doesn’t fit the style or tone of the game in any way but the designer who came up with her was just so happy with the design that Miyazaki was like “it’s wrong, but I like your enthusiasm” and they kept it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

MrMidnight posted:

Folders too advanced for the PS5.

Just lol that the PS4 had folders down perfectly.

I think it's just the already implemented feature in the "My Collection" section, which is worthless imo

I constantly delete and redowload poo poo so for me the collections are actually pretty handy, all my Yakuzas in one easy to find spot!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t recommend the older ones any more because they are so archaic in terms of gameplay that you run the risk of putting people off Mgsv, which is a really fun game even if you don’t know the story.

Coward.

Start with Metal Gear 1! (It and MG2 are bonuses included in MGS3 HD and Subsistence)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Hotline Miami’s soundtrack is legendary. Really gets one in the mood for a bit of the old ultraviolence. :unsmigghh:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

bop bop perano posted:

do you like the soundtrack for abzu? i love journey's soundtrack, but Abzu is probably my favorite of the two, but i've been making orchestral covers of video game soundtrack music to practice making orchestral stuff of my own and austin wintory has put up most of the sheet music for his soundtracks and i did this super quickly but it still sounds decent despite that because he's just so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFT6Jjx-iQs

uh this track loving rules, all jokes aside, besides the bit that sounds like it's some other track sped up 3x, i love it. that main melody on the flute is great.

the drakengard 1 ost is objectively the most jarring poo poo of all time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8ee_70IcDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLCUX4fpvro

I :filez: ‘d Drakengard at first and I thought that I screwed up burning the disc when I heard the soundtrack lol

Imagine my surprise when I got a legit copy and nothing changed at all. Brilliant.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oh hell I never knew the Witcher was produced by Bagiński. :eyepop:

For reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msIjWthwWwI

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

How’s Diablo 2 on the PS5? Been thinking about it since launch and the sales have been solid. I know it had some issues when it came out but hopefully they’re fixed. The idea of playing Diablo 2 on the PS5 sounds cool as hell.

I’m liking it, but go into it being aware that it’s pretty much a straight port of D2, to the point where if you hit L2 and the touchpad at the same time it switches to the original graphics instantly.

Very pretty, game still holds up, works pretty good on controller, it’s just an extremely faithful port.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rinkles posted:

Bit of a wasted opportunity.

Yeah I was a little disappointed at first (if nothing else I was hoping I could play as a lady necromancer) but it is really well done for what it is.

drat shame that it essentially killed the chances of us getting THPS3/4 Remastered, though time will tell if they’re definitely a permanent Blizzard support studio now or they’ll still get other projects.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I like D2 and D3 for very different reasons, though I think Blizzard missed a pretty obvious opportunity by not porting the campaigns of 1/2 into 3. The loot tables and graphics would obviously be very different but that would have been pretty fun.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I played the original for like 2-3 hours when it launched and it was mediocre, but there was some interesting aspects. I assumed the thing in the store was some sort of major update so I was like "hey why not it's F2P" and honestly it looks and feels ok but oof. yet another doomed BR piece of poo poo.

I mean, thats on me for not reading up on it first, but it still sucks because I would have given a proper sequel or update a shot since I was actually enjoying the mechanics, but I'm not gonna play this poo poo with a 4 to 1 menus to actual game ratio.

Is this the new Let It Die or did they patch the original in a complete overhaul?

The original game was a soulsish roguelike dungeon crawler, very janky but it had a huge level of Dreamcast-ish charm to it. Never spent a dollar but I put a ton of hours into it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

It’s a whole new game I think

OK good, because I kind of got in the mood to play Let It Die again lol

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vikar Jerome posted:

Kojima heavily implying sci fi films were better before star wars came out and ruined it all.

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1578990469211906049

King kojima is correct, btw.

He’s not wrong but big lmao at holding up Zardoz as a high quality example of anything, that movie’s a complete trainwreck.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BGrifter posted:

Anyone feel like posting a bunch of words about PS5 gaming headsets?

I was eyeing a set of Pulse 3D headphones. They’re $130 CAD and seem likely to go on sale for $100ish sometime over the next month or two. Reviews say they’re okay but not great.

SteelSeries Arctis 7P+ is on sale right now for $160 CAD. Lots of reviews saying they’re better than the Pulse 3D, but about 50% more expensive.

I’m open to other options if anyone has a better one. I’m in no rush if there’s something cool coming soon. I just want to make Demon Souls PS5 sound even fancier. :3:

I went for the Arctis 7P myself and love them. The USB-C dongle is occasionally a bit of a pain to deal with (and it blocks off the front USB-A port on the PS5 which strikes me as really stupid) but the sound quality’s great, no detectable lag, and the charge lasts for days at a time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not sure what's funnier, watching publishers fumble over the dogshit clusterfuck they have created that is modern AAA GAAS video games, or resident drama queens acting like they have to go take a break on their fainting couch because 2FA is apparently a targeted assault on the poor and not just some flawed attempt at controlling rampant cheating, that also happens to involve games they don't like in the first place.

Look, you have to understand, we are unbelievably bored.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Vikar Jerome posted:

I can see it happening because that would be the most dumb hilarious thing for them to do, i can see xbox doing it because they want consoles as mobile phones and sony would need to compete, just hilarious hearing about it with no proper next gen games yet after 2 years lol.

I wouldnt buy one tho, not unless it was double the size of ps5 and looked even more insane

I mean if we’re at the rumor/developers getting onboarded stage right now, that puts us at about when the PS4 Pro got announced, relatively speaking. 2013 launch for the PS4, Pro announced and released in 2016, and the PS5 is just about to hit two years old.

If they commit to it being as soft a split as the PS4/Pro was (ie: No hard cutoffs for game compatibility) I can see it happening at least eventually. Seemed to work for ‘em just fine last time. :shrug:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sakurazuka posted:

The PSP/PS4 version does include the excellent Japanese dub.

Thank you.

Yeah the English dub lacks the wonderful cheese of the original US release, but don’t slack on hearing that original Japanese version! You can sometimes hear the actors literally chewing on the recording booth in lieu of scenery, it’s fantastic.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

acksplode posted:

So to be clear, if Sony hadn't rescheduled a presentation, you'd have no problem with them filling briefs opposing the merger? That hasn't seemed to be your position until just this moment.

you’re arguing with someone on the internet literally named “noob”, what are you expecting to happen here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

acksplode posted:

But also noob saibot is a Mortal Kombat character named after its creators, now who's the "noob" ...

Look man I know that, you know that, we all know that. But it’s a hell of a name to take for yourself is all.