Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

History Comes Inside! posted:

Only good Star Wars game remains Force Unleashed

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight baybeeeee! Also Rogue Squadron/Leader blew me away.

I got grounded from video games as a kid for screaming at the gladiator droid boss in level 9 of Shadows of the Empire when it killed me with a few hits left in its third phase and I’LL NEVER FORGET WHAT BULLSHIT IT WAS I SHOULD HAVE HAD THAT KILL gently caress AAAAAAAAAGHGHGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Yakuza Like a Dragon, Chapter 12: I was so excited to see my boy Majima! I’ve only played 0 and Kiwami 1 so I was kinda hoping he’d pop up with the Tojo clan getting wiped out. Then I discovered to my great horror that he was level 50 and my little level 33 party got obliterated when he cloned himself three times. I guess this is where the grind kicks in!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

several posters posted:

how are you 33 you big dumb idiot

I think if the story had given more resistance to this point it wouldn’t have been so jarring, but I’ve done like 35 of the side stories and everything story wise up til now has been easy peasy. I did a bit of the arena last night and got up to 43 pretty quickly, so another round of two of that and I should be golden.

This isn’t a complaint, I’m having fun with it.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Holy poo poo Chapter 12 of Like a Dragon was so loving good. I was excited to see Majima, having played 0/1, but when Kiryu shows up I legit felt my heart fistpump. The little nod of approval he gives Kasuga after he finally does that trademark "pull shirt off, reveal tatoo" move felt like he was approving of Kasuga's elevation into the "legendary yakuza" that you're fighting alongside at that point. And then after 35 hours of Kasuga refusing to believe Arakawa didn't care at all about him, you get that really emotional conversation by the river followed immediately by that gutpunch reveal of Arakawa's death. What a game! It's wild how successfully this game is able to balance the super serious melodrama with wild silly poo poo like the baby clan or Mr. Masochist substories.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Yakuza Like a Dragon Chapter 13: This twist seems highly improbable but whatever! Let’s go Kasuga!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I beat Like a Dragon, it was super good. I think Kasuga probably tops a “best character” list for games I’ve played this year. I remember getting Y0 not knowing anything about the series other than the name and expecting “Gritty Gamg War: The Game” and then being wildly surprised at how well it wove the melodrama and the earnest warmth and the silliness together. YakLikADra pays all that off in spades. Lots of big poignant moments, lots of genuine warmth between likeable characters, stuff that made me laugh out loud and stuff that made me gasp. My jaw dropped when (end spoiler) Kume assassinated Aoki right after he comes to terms with turning himself in. I made a mental list of supporting characters, like that one, that I was curious to see if the story would remember to wrap up and I’ll be damned if every single one didn’t get there by the end.

Anyway A+, Nancy-Chan is my best friend now, would YakuzAgain.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Vikar Jerome posted:

What wqs this, its been deleted

Sony tweeted a close up of the Bloodborne box art and said "can you tell what game we're zooming in on," then deleted it shortly after.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
A friend told me that the first thing he does when starting a new game is mute all the sound and I feel like this is the sort of thing you’d learn about a serial killer after the fact. Truly inhuman poo poo, very alarming!!!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Does he literally sit there and play in silence?

He plays white noise apparently? So like…static or rain? He described himself as “allergic to any in-game sound as an adult.”

If I’m playing something I’ve played a bunch already I’ll sometimes cut the volume down and have something else going, but all games, including new ones, in all circumstances? Yeesh.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

fridge corn posted:

With my new sound system I have turned the volume UP!!!!

:thx::rock:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Is OG Silent Hill 2 (either emulated or the HD collection) worth playing today if you didn’t grow up with the franchise? I landed on the Resident Evil side of the RE/SH divide.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I went to play Rise of the Tomb Raider but felt like I needed to replay the reboot first since it had been like 6 years. Then I got a copy of Horizon Forbidden West and suddenly felt like I needed to replay Zero Dawn for the same reason.

A whole lot of lady-shoots-bows-and-climbs-walls in my future.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I really must try Deathloop….

If you’re open to playing on PC and possibly burning a few bucks I think it’s part of gamepass and is also in this month’s Humble Bundle.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

HZD2 does a recap cutscene when you boot up the game for the first time.

Oh I know, I’m just broke brained.

E: sorry for the double post!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Sorry for your disability.

I’ve got a real compulsion for doing things in release order or redoing them before a new installment if it’s been more than a years. I think it’s something about wanting to be able to evaluate new installments in the context of their forerunners and needing to experience them again in some cases? But it definitely causes backlog problems! In any case HZD was so long ago I don’t remember much beyond the combat basics and gently caress Ted Faro so I just gotta do it!

This extends to movies too, like I didn’t see Skyfall until I blasted through every other Bond movie, or not wanting to see X director’s new movie until I go through their back catalog.

E: when I get around to playing SH2 I’m gonna have to play the first game too, at a minimum, for the same reason!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 23, 2022

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My only real nitpicks with Dad o’ War were enemy and boss variety feeling a little light, and maybe the very early combat before you pick up a few extra moves/weapons feeling a bit slow. But I was immediately invested in the narrative with that opening. I’m a sucker for good music moments and man did Bear McCreary nail the OST for that whole sequence (and also the rest of the game).

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Boy the first boss level (for lack of a better phrase) in Ghostrunner is some hot bullshit! I beat it but suddenly my friends list leaderboard is empty after that stage.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Make sure you let the 1-4 boss give you a hug for a special surprise!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Elden Ring stuff

In general the stat stuff isn’t super clear in game. Basically you’ll want to find a weapon that feel good and then level your stats around that/survivability. Dying too fast? Bump vigor. Have a cool hammer that has A STR scaling? Boost STR. Need more stam to get more swings or block more? Endurance! Upgrading your weapons directly at the blacksmith will give you the most bang for your buck early on since scaling tends to be lower early on, but you may want to glance at a wiki to see if a weapon you like eventually scales better at high levels.

These games aren’t necessarily designed to need a wiki, but to engender community discover/sharing early on. “Hey anyone figure out this weird stat? Oh cool this weapon becomes great at +10,” that sort if thing. But coming in after it’s been out a while a lot of that is helpfully aggregated into wikis so they become a default go-to.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I’ve also been hoarding smithing stones because I’ve been afraid to waste them on an early game weapon. When you say a weapon scales at higher levels, I could theoretically have a weapon now that will still be good towards the endgame? I have a handful of weapons that seem good (Twinblade, Bloodhound’s Fang, and some random other things), I’ll need to start using some of these smithing stones on them.

Yep, most weapons are at minimum viable though maybe not the most optimal, which is totally fine as long as you’re enjoying the weapon move set. You’ll eventually find some items that will let you buy the lower level smithing stones outright so you shouldn’t worry too much about wasting stuff.

As you upgrade things some weapons will upgrade their scaling in addition to their base damage (say from C scaling to A scaling), which just gives you even better returns.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 12, 2022

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Why did Days Gone get middling reviews? The game’s writer/director knows: THE WOKERATI!

https://twitter.com/john_garvin/status/1600353225840144385?s=46&t=nlhPMZXKXRt-wDXXkD0-QA

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Good morning and happy Friday to reformed orthodox rabbi Bill Clinton and him alone.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Holy poo poo, my wife just randomly searched for ps5's back in November and snagged a God of War system off sonys' site. No idea how she managed it but I finally have one!

one of us, one of us

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I finally beat my first game of the year, Okami HD. Boy howdy is that a game that could use some QoL updates like adjusting the speed at which the cumulative hours of unskippable dialogue text slowly appears on the screen. I liked the paint brush mechanics and the general vibe (minus how the little bug man talked to and about every woman they meet) but Lordy not exactly a time respecter.

I’ve just started Last of Us for the first time, finally!

In addition to just whatever comes up in my backlog I’m also committing to replaying a couple of titles this year that I’ve played but didn’t really get the hype around when I beat them the first time: Nier Automata, Undertale, Breath of the Wild. And I’m going to play Final Fantasies 4-7, which will all be new to me.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 21, 2023

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I feel enough time has passed to share that my wife got me a Crash Bandicoot shirt for Christmas. I’ve never played a Crash game. When I asked what made her think of it she looked it over and then frowned. “I did not until this minute realize that wasn’t Banjo.”

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I just finished Last of Us Part 1! The characters and story are top notch (I was convinced Joel would pull a self sacrifice and super loved this ending instead. Probably among the most impactful last lines of a game I’ve played.) but I’m mixed on the gameplay itself. When I was just vibing and exploring in the environments or doing basic stealth stuff it was great, but the gunplay seemed kinda weak as was the overall variety of encounters (a lot of similarly large, open spaces with conveniently placed boxes, and the way you stealth the last encounter is basically unchanged from the way you do the first).

Overall enjoyed it and am looking forward to Part Two (and also the show, which I’m now allowed to watch).

(Edit: who loves to overuse parentheses? Me!)

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
My next game is Resident Evil 3 Remake which I understand is kinda bad? I've never played the original though so maybe I'll find less to be annoyed by.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Daggum, this RE3 opening has poor Jill getting kicked around a la Lara Croft’s 2013 outing.

E: Brad standing here like a moron while the living dead erupt through a fence behind him, and this man was in STARS????

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 30, 2023

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
RE3make: I’m sorry is this a giant loving heart in the power station?????

E: AAAAAAAAAAH WHAT THE gently caress

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 30, 2023

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I have a really tough decision to make now on if I continue my RE series playthrough with 4 or wait for the 4 Remake. :ohdear:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
RE3Make: I'm back in the RPD! What a fun surprise.

still hate :spooky:these goddamn lickers:spooky: tho

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
RE3make, I'm in a big spooky hospital now, a place historically not counted among Very Chill Places To Be During A Zombie Apocalypse.

xoxo gossip gamer

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I finished RE3make! While Mr. X from 2 is super imposing I kinda loved Nemesis constantly showing up to get chumped and then changing forms to something even more grotesque each time. Also hunters go gently caress yourselves!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I asked ChatGPT: “Please write a Shakespearean play set in the world of FromSoft’s Bloodborne.”

Title: "Bloodborne: A Tragedy of Hunters"

Act I, Scene I:
(The stage is set in the cobbled streets of Yharnam, a city plagued by an outbreak of the scourge. A group of hunters, dressed in their finest gear, converse in hushed tones.)

Hunter 1: 'Tis a foul night, my friends, and the moon shines bright.

Hunter 2: Aye, and the beasts roam the streets with reckless abandon.

Hunter 3: Our task is to rid this city of the scourge, to restore it to its former glory.

Hunter 1: But how can we, when the source of the plague remains unknown?

Hunter 2: We must be steadfast, for the sake of Yharnam and all its citizens.

Act I, Scene II:
(The hunters venture deeper into the city, fighting off beasts and encountering strange characters along the way. As they make their way to the heart of the scourge, they come upon a powerful entity, known as the Blood-drunk Moon.)

Blood-drunk Moon: Ha! Hunters, you think to challenge me? I am the source of the scourge, the bringer of madness.

Hunter 1: We shall stop you, foul creature. Your reign of terror ends tonight.

Blood-drunk Moon: So be it. Let us see who shall emerge victorious in this battle of hunters and beasts.

(The hunters engage the Blood-drunk Moon in a fierce battle, but are ultimately defeated. As they lie dying, they realize the futility of their quest and the terrible cost of their actions.)

Hunter 1: 'Tis a cruel fate, to die so young and full of hope.

Hunter 2: Our quest was in vain, for the scourge remains and the city is lost.

Hunter 3: And so we must accept our fate, and rest in peace, knowing that our efforts were not in vain.

Epilogue:
(The stage is empty, save for the bodies of the hunters. The sounds of the city can be heard in the distance, a reminder of the tragedy that has befallen Yharnam.)

Chorus: So ends the tale of the hunters, brave and true, who sought to save a city from its darkest hour.

Though they fell in battle, their legacy remains, a testament to the power of the human spirit.

For though the scourge still ravages the land, and Yharnam is lost to madness, the hunters will always be remembered, as the brave souls who dared to stand.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Aw y’all are lame, it’s just goofy.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I have both Nioh 2 and Strangers of Paradise Final Fantasy Origins on deck, it’s a real pickle since I understand the gameplay to be pretty similar!

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
As you once did for the vacuous Fifteen, grant us AIs, grant us AIs! Plant AIs on our brain to cleanse our poster idiocy. If The People demand a probe then I’ll take one in good stride.

Anyway Strangers of Paradise it is since I’m coming off a few long games back to back and could use something shorter and with a more silly tone to break it up. Thanks!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Feb 5, 2023

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

Jelly posted:

Okay I think I want to try Yakuza for the first time today. I believe PS Extra gives you most if not all of the titles, where do I start? If they have continuity I may prefer a more enjoyable experience over "the beginning".

I don't know if this has any relevance to anything but Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite games of all time.

I think either Yakuza 0 or Like a Dragon are perfectly fine starting places. Like a Dragon has some moments that play better if you know some of the characters but either entry are the start of their respective main character’s journey. Zero is a brawler and Like a Dragon a turn based RPG if that matters for you!

(Zero is where I started and I enjoyed it, fwiw)

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 5, 2023

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

FF Dance of the Necromancer when?

Now this would loving own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

When the music fades in and you realize that its Proof of a Hero playing in the last %15 of the fight...oh man... it just gives you the extra strength to endure. What an emotional high. All time top 5 gaming moment for me.

Since Rise just came out I can pivot on this to say that the transition into Proof of a Hero on the Sunbreak final boss is incredible.