Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Previous thread (2014-2022): https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664222

Latest Apple Event (9.12.23):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiP1l7jlIIA

Newest iPhone models:

iPhone 15 - 6.1"
iPhone 15 Plus - 6.7"
iPhone 15 Pro - 6.1"
iPhone 15 Pro Max - 6.7"

All 15 models have the Dynamic Island.

All 15 models have USB-C, but the 15/15 Plus have USB 2.0 speeds while the 15 Pro/15 Pro Max have USB 3.0 speeds.

Compare all iPhone models here: https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

AppleCare (Apple's extended warranty program) offers 2 plans:

AppleCare+: AppleCare+ for iPhone includes unlimited incidents of accidental damage protection. Each incident is subject to the service fees listed below, plus applicable tax. In addition, you’ll get Express Replacement Service and 24/7 priority access to Apple experts by chat or phone.

AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss: Get everything included in AppleCare+ and up to two incidents of theft or loss coverage every 12 months. Each incident is subject to the deductible listed below.

Theft and loss coverage requires you to have Find My enabled on your device at the time it is lost or stolen and throughout the claims process.

More AppleCare details: https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone/

iOS 17.4.1 is the latest version of iOS.

In iOS17, the battery percentage can be displayed in the battery icon on the status bar. To turn this on or off, go to Settings > Battery.

Some top iOS17 features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-kMfV9Dx1Y

iOS App thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3668654
iPad thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552944

Thread recommends Anker for chargers/charge cables.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Re posting from old thread.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I feel bad for the people in the stores/phones who are stuck behind a garbage system. Naturally after dealing with web chat/phone call/reddit (wtf) support, the answer was 'go to a store and they will fix it'.

Having dealt with AT&T stores before, I know this answer was actually "Go to an AT&T store and they will set up a new order because it's completely separate and even if it wasn't there's zero incentive for the person who handles you to do it anyway because there's no commission for them". So now rather than my phone getting delivered on Friday and having the time to start it fresh and make sure everything is working, I now have to go into the store and give them my handset when picking up the new one and also hoping they haven't hosed up how much I'm due to pay because naturally I haven't had any emails confirming this yet.

I should've just stayed with my XR on a pre-paid agreement, ffs.

As one of those poor bastards dealing with it, the positive side is that since I have a quota, every time a customer calls upset that the website isn’t working right I literally say “oh that’s great, that keeps me employed I’ll get you set.”

Tbh, the systems I use are not bad at this point. There are really annoying things that they should be able to do but mess up, but I’ve used them so long I know almost every trick.

Btw, for everyone in general, in terms of from my perspective , the 14 launch is def not the same volume / pace / energy as the 13 was(not really surprising IMO). Last year was the first year the carriers did $800 trade ins (recently at least) and a LOT of people did them and now , surprise surplus, aren’t eligible this year.

Also no surprise, I get a lot of people wanting to buy the 14, but they got the iPhone 12 or whatever on a 30 month payment plan so it’s like “well, you have 8-10 months left and owed $500 still, did you want to pay that off to upgrade early?” Unsurprisingly the answer is usually no, although shiny new phone does make a few people do crazy things.

Also, already starting last year, the 13 Pro was noticeably picking up more orders than the regular 13. This year it’s like, no one buys the 14 during preorders. Expect good inventory of the 14, the Pro and Pro max are def the hot topic ones. Which is usually the case for preorder (early adopters), but even more so this year. I have had literally one 14+ preorder, the plus is gonna be a dud because anyone wanting the bigger phone will just get the max.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Bringing this sick filth over from the last thread.

withak posted:

How do I get Comic Sans for the clock on my lock screen.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Thank you Rageholic for taking this on!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Halp

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just updated to iOS 16 and now the App Store forces me to enter my password every time I want to download a new app/game. Before it would just prompt me for FaceID. How do I turn this back on because my AppleID password is super long and unmemorable so I have to paste it in from 1Password each time.

E: I’ve tried toggling this off and back on.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cage-free egghead posted:

Thank you Rageholic for taking this on!
Happy to help :)

If any of y'all have suggestions for the OP, :justpost: and I'll update it.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As someone with an (old) bartender's license I'd like to volunteer to serve up your mixed drinks of choice on Dynamic Island!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic posted:

Obviously add in sections for screen protectors and AirPods since the thread ends up debating that more than talking about the actual phones anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

Obviously add in sections for screen protectors and AirPods since the thread ends up debating that more than talking about the actual phones anyway.

Battery percentages.

And screw comic sans, where's my impact.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rageaholic posted:

Some formatting when you get the time, and a current list of iPhones on offer, and maybe some honorable mentions from the refurb store.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Duckman2008 posted:

As one of those poor bastards dealing with it, the positive side is that since I have a quota, every time a customer calls upset that the website isn’t working right I literally say “oh that’s great, that keeps me employed I’ll get you set.”

Ha, I'm glad someone is benefitting from it at least! At 3pm I just got an email saying 'we couldn't verify this order was from you' despite the fact I ordered from my existing AT&T account I've had for years, they have all my contact details to tell me something is up etc. Unbelievable, but I'm glad my spidey senses kicked in before it was too late.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
New thread smell is fantastic. Much like my very not new iPhone XR Yellow :kiddo:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thread, what case brands are we recommending? I've got a Spigen on my 12PM currently, and I know they were recommended in the previous thread. But who else? Apple brand cases? Are Otterboxes still used?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Spigen for the 14 should be here tonight, I haven't got the handset yet but I can check that it's OK quality at least. I've had them before and been fine, and found it much better than the $40 otterbox than essentially broke down, got replaced, and did the exact same thing. Mixing material types did not work well for that model.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Spigen are great for good protection at a cheap price. They might not last years but also they’re a fraction of the price of Apple or Otterbox.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also like Smartish stuff.

I have their wallet slayer case and it's kept my 12 nice and safe for 2 years through some pretty nasty drops.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Spigen are great for good protection at a cheap price. They might not last years but also they’re a fraction of the price of Apple or Otterbox.
I've had this phone for almost 2 years and this Spigen case has been on it the entire time :haw:

Also, good news for 13 Mini users who wanted the battery percentage:
https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1570113243959685125

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

My Spigen for the 14 should be here tonight, I haven't got the handset yet but I can check that it's OK quality at least. I've had them before and been fine, and found it much better than the $40 otterbox than essentially broke down, got replaced, and did the exact same thing. Mixing material types did not work well for that model.

My wife and I ordered cases that said they were MagSafe compatible and we got them and they don’t have magnets so back they go. Hard to use these when the charging pads you have are the raised kind.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

There hasn't been a lot of content about the Camera in Video mode, should I see dramatic improvement over my 12 Pro in low light situations?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Oops!

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 14, 2022

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Delzuma posted:

There hasn't been a lot of content about the Camera in Video mode, should I see dramatic improvement over my 12 Pro in low light situations?

I think in the Verge review it's mentioned that low light is nicer in the 14 Pro.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rageaholic posted:

Thread, what case brands are we recommending? I've got a Spigen on my 12PM currently, and I know they were recommended in the previous thread. But who else? Apple brand cases? Are Otterboxes still used?

I'm a fan of Ringke and the occasional Merkury case, which I'm currently running. Otherwise: Spigen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

After a lifetime of Android phones, I'm picking up my first iPhone this weekend with a 14 Pro Max.

How are those official iPhone leather cases?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Very nice. They patina quick so if you like a pristine spotless look they might not be for you, but the material quality is superb and they feel super nice to hold.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're made of the cheapest trash leather imaginable, but feel nice enough in hand.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

After a lifetime of Android phones, I'm picking up my first iPhone this weekend with a 14 Pro Max.

A good rule of thumb for apple products is 1) never buy the first version of any new product and 2) if there's any problems people will complain about them relentlessly so if you haven't heard anything negative about a product it is functional and good. no one talks about the leather cases that much because they are functional and good.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kirios posted:

As someone with an (old) bartender's license I'd like to volunteer to serve up your mixed drinks of choice on Dynamic Island!

Took me way too long to realise you weren't taking about the Mac app

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rageaholic posted:

Caudabe Sheath 👌🏻

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Anyone have experience with Pitaka cases?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For my last 4 or so iPhones I’ve bought SB whatever ~$10 clear soft practice case I could get on Amazon and have had no complaints.

One yellowed one time but I figured buying another one seemed justified.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Feedbacker posted:

Anyone have experience with Pitaka cases?

The edges are a little too sharp to be comfortable in the hand for long periods

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've taken to using Otterbox Symmetry cases and really like them. They are very slim but have well thought out ridges around the cameras and screen to protect against drops.

They also often come in fun colors, as I noted in the previous thread:

Bit on the pricey side though

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

According to people testing with the iOS 16.1 beta, the iPhone 11, 12 mini, and 13 mini will get their numeric battery percentage back in the status bar when 16.1 finishes testing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m using the new wallpaper where its a view of the globe, centered on your city. As I awakened my phone the thing flashed rapidly in a way that would 100% trigger an epileptic episode. It went away after a few seconds but wow.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like the thinnest Spigen Liquid Crystal, which is the thinnest case that makes the camera bump go away so the phone doesn't slide around on surfaces like a bar of soap. I use it on an iPhone Excess but presumably they make one for the 14 also.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

i've always liked them and they have done a good job of protecting my phones lo these many years

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

101 posted:

Caudabe Sheath 👌🏻

Caudabe haver here and yeah it's expensive but it has a unique texture to it that feels great. It's plastic that feels like suede almost. Really easy to grip but doesn't get stuck in your pocket at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So there isn't one brand to recommend in the OP? Spigen, Caudabe, Apple, Otterbox...they all sound like they're good for different reasons.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been thinking about Rhinoshield's Mod NX cause I can have a red band around the white iPhone and a clear back. Not sure though.

Also looking into dBrand's Grip case. Saw it in a video today and the Solstice looks really rad.

https://dbrand.com/shop/grip/iphone-14-pro-max-cases

I usually go with the standard Apple silicone but if they had a Product RED leather one, I'd 100% switch to that.

EDIT: Speaking of that, the case came in just now. It's a bit of a lighter red than the 13 Pro Max silicone case.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had a product red leather case on my XS. Sold the phone and case to my brother when I got my 12 and the red is now basically black.

They do patina nicely with oil from your skin but they scratch easily and it doesn't heal well.