Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Rageaholic posted:

So there isn't one brand to recommend in the OP? Spigen, Caudabe, Apple, Otterbox...they all sound like they're good for different reasons.

No, not really. There are a lot of good case brands. As someone who has bought far too many, here like the top 5 I'd recommend that other people also seem to like a lot:

• Caudabe Sheath
• Spigen Liquid Air
• Phone Rebel (whatever generation case they're currently on)
• Apple (Silicone, Clear, or Leather)
• Otterbox Symmetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Just get the Apple leather case. It’s super nice and what I’ve used almost exclusively for going on a decade now.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Just get the Apple leather case. It’s super nice and what I’ve used almost exclusively for going on a decade now.

I don't personally like using leather things

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Binary Badger posted:

According to people testing with the iOS 16.1 beta, the iPhone 11, 12 mini, and 13 mini will get their numeric battery percentage back in the status bar when 16.1 finishes testing.
It’s pretty amazing how Apple squeezes this level of innovation into even minor point releases.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

fourwood posted:

It’s pretty amazing how Apple squeezes this level of innovation into even minor point releases.

The uproar from 11, 12/13 mini owners was something fierce I bet

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Binary Badger posted:

The uproar from 11, 12/13 mini owners was something fierce I bet

I’ll never turn it on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

The leather cases for the 12 and 13 mini was and has been garbage unfortunately.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

They need to bring back saddle brown.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

101 posted:

No, not really. There are a lot of good case brands. As someone who has bought far too many, here like the top 5 I'd recommend that other people also seem to like a lot:

• Caudabe Sheath
• Spigen Liquid Air
• Phone Rebel (whatever generation case they're currently on)
• Apple (Silicone, Clear, or Leather)
• Otterbox Symmetry

I had the Caudabe Sheath for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and I always worried it'd break the phone somehow trying to get it out. It seems to be a very hard plastic.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My 13 pro is getting hot under regular indoor use since I upgraded to iOS 16. Anyone else have that happen? I’ve reset the thing and typing this out on the Awful app I can feel my phone getting hotter.

I know it ain’t my postin’

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

My 13 pro is getting hot under regular indoor use since I upgraded to iOS 16. Anyone else have that happen? I’ve reset the thing and typing this out on the Awful app I can feel my phone getting hotter.

I know it ain’t my postin’

Give it a couple days. It’s probably rebuilding search indexes or something in the background.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
You know what I think the same thing happened last time. You saying that sounds super familiar.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah if you did a reset you gotta give it some time to index everything or you might see it lag and/or warm up a lot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It has to do extra special processing for the new Lock Screen stuff. My XS ran hot until last night.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I am going to upgrade all my family’s phones. Pretty sure I will get a 14 pro max and give my 11 pro max to my kid. My problem is what to get my husband whos X is “fine” and he is fine with it. The battery is going and he wants better cameras. We have ATT. Is it worth it to get him a 14 or should I look at 13? We upgrade so rarely I am willing to get whatever but also interested in saving money if the difference is negligible.

I don’t need a new phone but my kid really likes photography and so I want to pass this 11 pro max to them so they have the better cameras than the X they have. That and the bad battery life on both of their Xs are driving this

E: I am getting husband and I both 14 pro max, yolo

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 15, 2022

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

I had the Caudabe Sheath for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and I always worried it'd break the phone somehow trying to get it out. It seems to be a very hard plastic.

Ive had the Sheath and the Sheath Magsafe on my 12 and i have found it maybe a little loose fitting on the long-sides, if anything. I have taken it out of the case a few times to clean etc and never had a problem.

if you apply pressure to the case with a finger nail its squishy, just not rubbery.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rolo posted:

You know what I think the same thing happened last time. You saying that sounds super familiar.

No worries, it's easy to forget about between big updates and stuff.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the iPhone Thread: your phone will get hot and battery life suck right after updating to iOS 16.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The KWMOBILE cases have been solid loving gold for me for 2 generations now. Some of the best cases out there. It's a silicone case with microfabric inside. Very low profile and they keep your phones MINT. Comes in tons of colours too.

Also TECHARMOR Ballistic Glass for the front protection - the glass is rounded off so its smooth as gently caress. They include a plastic frame now too so you just drop it in and fits like a goddamn glove.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 15, 2022

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJjyLbOvvms

I watched this Zollotech video about all the new features in iOS 16 the other day, but it's an hour long and there's gotta be a better, more concise video to put in the OP. Anyone know of one?

e: This one's under 10 minutes and is from 9to5Mac who's a trusted source IIRC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krhfuyZNzxk

I'll put this in the OP but let me know if there's a better one than this.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 15, 2022

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Rageaholic posted:

So there isn't one brand to recommend in the OP? Spigen, Caudabe, Apple, Otterbox...they all sound like they're good for different reasons.

As long as the case provides a bit of a lip (i.e., "raiseivity") to protect the cameras and the display, and the buttons click properly, pretty much any brand will work.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I think generally you wanna spend around $20USD min. on a case to get something that fits well, uses quality materials and actually provides protection.

some people get weird about having a bottom lip on the case or not, but besides that it doesnt really matter. I see value in having some thread favorite picks as starting points though since case chat comes up about as frequent as airpods chat.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Start by narrowing down the case you want (thinness, opacity, texture, material, color, accessories) then just watch, like, three YouTuhe videos about that category of cases. I’ve used Caudabe for like the past ten years and they’re great, but I’m sure there are also brands that charge half the price and provide a similar product. Brand names come with a premium.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

The KWMOBILE cases have been solid loving gold for me for 2 generations now. Some of the best cases out there. It's a silicone case with microfabric inside. Very low profile and they keep your phones MINT. Comes in tons of colours too.

The official Apple silicone cases have microfabric inside as well. My iPhone 12 Pro Max looks like I never touched it inside. That's another thing no SIM card tray will do...you can go straight from the phone box to the case without having to get fingerprints on it just to take the tray out.

EDIT: https://www.austinmann.com/trek/iphone-14-pro-camera-review-scotland

Here's a pretty detailed review about the iPhone 14 Pro's camera vs the 13 Pro's. It basically boils down to:

• 48MP ProRAW being good but too large in filesize and slow, 12MP ProRAW is still good.
  • There's much less noise in darker shots
  • The reviewer seems to like the satellite connectivity in the iPhone 14 and will carry his dedicated satellite device less because of it
  • Apple still overprocesses and oversharpens the photos.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 15, 2022

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's another thing no SIM card tray will do...you can go straight from the phone box to the case without having to get fingerprints on it just to take the tray out.

That's cool. I'd rather have a SIM card slot for ease of changing carriers especially if traveling but I'm glad Apple is catering to the "I never actually want to touch my phone" crowd.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Taking my phone out of its case just to gawk at it like a toddler. I wish I were brave enough to go caseless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The phones really are great to use without a case, I've done it for most of pandemic when I was never leaving the house anyways so the risk was minimal.

Unfortunately a huge part of smart phones is maximizing trade in value and with the way the finish is about as slippery as a bar of soap a case is basically mandatory if you're doing more than using it in bed.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I stopped using a case regularly about 6 months ago when I took my 12 pro out of its case and realised how much nicer it looked without it. No damage as yet, but I spend 90% of my time at home so the couch isn’t really a huge scratch threat. I have a magnetic Anker ring attachment on the back which is basically perfect for extra grippiness.

I’ll only put the case on if I’m going in the forest where my chances of falling over are higher.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What's in the forest

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tripping hazards

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's in the forest

Trees and Finns.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Started going caseless when I got the blue 12 Pro and saw how beautiful it is. I had a brand new case sitting there waiting to put on it and couldn’t do it. Today’s phones are surprisingly sturdy. If you are mindful of it you should not have any issues.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
No case or screen protector has ever sullied the beauty of my coral iPhone XR, which is nearing the end of its fourth year of duty.

Someone mentioned resale value being important, and yeah, if that's true for you, I definitely do not recommend my approach. The screen is covered in tons of small scratches that are only visible when it's off, but they are there, no doubt. The metal band around the outside has quite a few random small nick and scratches from drops, too. Okay, okay, I finally dropped it on the kitchen floor earlier this year and gave the back glass a big spiderweb crack, but it's still in one piece, smooth to the touch, functional, and looks kinda cool tbqh.

Still, it survived fine for over three years caseless with zero substantial damage despite several drops and me just generally not caring. The battery has been the weak point and the reason I'm upgrading to a 14.

I've never resold a phone in my life, so whatever. Live free. :911:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Wouldn’t that polycarbonate mid layer not be as shock resistant as something like TPU/silicone that will deform slightly to absorb a drop instead of passing it straight through?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's in the forest

Drop-bears

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Wouldn’t that polycarbonate mid layer not be as shock resistant as something like TPU/silicone that will deform slightly to absorb a drop instead of passing it straight through?

yeah any hard polycarbonate case is a cosmetic thing only. they never protect well.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Someone mentioned resale value being important, and yeah, if that's true for you, I definitely do not recommend my approach. The screen is covered in tons of small scratches that are only visible when it's off, but they are there, no doubt. The metal band around the outside has quite a few random small nick and scratches from drops, too.

That's why you get the Pro model. Stainless steel won't scratch. The new glass seems way tougher too. (at least versus scratches, dunno about falls)

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Apple Care + is my case.

When I upgraded to the 13 Pro, I managed to smash my trade-in phone while waiting for the pre-order to arrive. One quick support ticket later, I was mailing back a pristine replacement that I’d held for 3 days.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I just jumped from a Pixel 6 to a 13 mini and I think the small phone life might be for me. I can use this thing without my hand cramping up. Honestly the lock screen was the main thing that made me swap to a pixel in the first place - I always thought the iOS one looked kinda stuffy and ugly - but it looks outstanding in iOS16.

I was kind of looking forward to ditching all the various subscriptions and getting Apple One, but Apple Music has been kinda terrible and I've gone back to Spotify within the day. Just key basic features are missing like easy hand-off between devices (I use a PC rather than a mac, which doesn't help). Oh well!

RE scratches etc, I'm going to try using a case on this thing because the back is a total smudge magnet. But I imagine the pro's frosted finish doesn't have those issues. As far as I'm aware, every iPhone in the lineup has the exact same front glass. But I really hate screen protectors. Wish me luck.

edit: Someone shared this in the previous thread, but the new image cut-out feature - how do you save those as transparent PNGS for use elsewhere? It kind of sucks that outside of iMessage it gets a white BG. I'm in the UK, so very few people I know use iMessage on the reg - it's all WhatsApp here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Stainless steel won't scratch

lol what

Anyway, looking at the case of my 13 Pro after a year, being in a case is definitely the right decision

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 15, 2022