Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Costco had the belkin one on sale, it’s been pretty nice. But yeah pricy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I know some of y’all were big on Artifact or whatever. Looks like Yahoo is buying it up which means it’ll probably really die later this year.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's awesome; Richard Garfield ftwz0r!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have received devastating news wrt Artifact

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Duckman2008 posted:

I am here to remind everyone that Palm WebOS actually did the one place to message people, and you could toggle which app to message them with.

Yeah that’s great if all your messaging systems have exactly the same features. Let’s go, XMPP!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've been really enjoying Beeper for all my non-iMessage apps - Telegram, WhatsApp, Signal, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and FB Messenger. You inevitably end up keeping all the solo apps on your phone because there will always be some features Beeper won't support, but it's great for responding to random one-off messages from apps I don't actively use a lot.

Being able to turn all of the other app's notifications off entirely and still get message notifications through Beeper is pretty great.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish Whatsapp would finally adopt whatever API is necessary to use the system notification settings instead of playing its own.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I have been digging and digging through the internet unsuccessfully, but I thought it might be worth asking here.

Is there a battery case for the iPhone 14 Pro Max that:
  • Still supports wireless charging;
  • Has a USB-C input on the exterior of the case but a lightning port on the interior of the case (that plugs into the phone)?

I have been using one of these for the last year and it has been pretty good but I would love it if the external port was USB-C instead, since every other device I own is USB-C. I don't want to upgrade my phone just to get a better port. :colbert:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Get a MagSafe battery case. I have both Apple and otterbox. The Apple one feels more quality but has been discontinued.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

carriers were technically charging that for a la carte messaging, but people were absolutely not spending $.20/text. bulk messaging plans existed as far back as like 2005, with various flavors of "unlimited" messaging plans popping up as early as 2007 iirc. and as of 2011, att dropped bulk plans entirely, so a little earlier than that timeframe
I had one of the OG unlimited ATT iPhone data plans from the 3GS days and paid per text until around 2016. I then paid $5/mo for a bundle of 200 texts and didn’t get unlimited texting until summer 2020.

I switched to an “normal” unlimited plan with Verizon in 2021 with the 13 Pro.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I didn't even have a text plan at all after I dropped it in like 2014, I got very few texts. But I just had to give up and get an unlimited plan at my last job when I realized there was no way to get a bunch of people in their mid 20s to create a ticket with the help desk, call or send an email without being draconian about it and they were going to keep texting me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://x.com/wario64/status/1776369635040067857?s=46&t=DvvqeOcggle6VW8Wu5D9WA

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Neat, we’ll see if Nintendo tries to gently caress with Dolphin again

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So that would allow for, as an example, for Nintendo to drop a Switch Online style app but not for someone to release an app to let users side load ROMS.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Or something like a licensed Atari app with 2600 games. This just means retro game compilations like Megaman Legacy Collection could be on iOS, not that Dolphin or anything could.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jose Oquendo posted:

So that would allow for, as an example, for Nintendo to drop a Switch Online style app but not for someone to release an app to let users side load ROMS.

The emulator could just do what Chunky reader does, and access personally added stuff (roms in this case) from the Files app to populate its library.

Emulators in themselves are not against the law; it's the illegal ROM hosting that's gotten every emulator site killed recently.
Don't poo poo where you eat.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 6, 2024

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

The emulator could just do what Chunky reader does, and access personally added stuff (roms in this case) from the Files app to populate its library.

I interpreted that posted app guidelines to mean that would not be allowed and that everything has to be done through IAP. But I could also see how letting users side load stuff could be allowed because it doesn't explicitly mention it. I have no idea. We will find out soon.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Emulators in themselves are not against the law; it's the illegal ROM hosting that's gotten every emulator site killed recently.
Don't poo poo where you eat.

Some of them won’t run without protected files like the bios from the original console as well.

They can distribute the emulator but not that, though anywhere you get your roms will have that too.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Aphrodite posted:

Some of them won’t run without protected files like the bios from the original console as well.

You still shouldn't host them on your own site though, that's just asking for a lawsuit, and an easy victory for the other side, at that.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

So with Artifact finally dead, what’s a good news app? News.app is atrocious with how much it’s “here’s what we think you should read” and no matter how much I try to tune it, it just ends up becoming a somehow more cumbersome RSS reader with ads. I have an RSS reader app but I really liked that Artifact would occasionally pop up something that was interesting but also outside my typically read articles and RSS really can’t do that.

I’ve tried out a handful of other news apps and most of them are just dire clickbait nonsense slightly above downloading a tabloid directly to my phone.

Wouldn’t be a huge loss if I just read less news but is there anything decent out there I should try out?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Aphrodite posted:

They can distribute the emulator but not that, though anywhere you get your roms will have that too.

This is what also got Dolphin stung, they were using actual encryption data from the Wii firmware in their supposedly clean reverse engineered bios.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I know you can prevent specific apps from using mobile data, but is the opposite possible? I have an app that controls my home alarm system that always freaks out on my home WiFi, but never on 5G.

(Which is super dumb because when do you turn your alarm on or off? Right outside your door, well in range of WiFi.)

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

SaturdayKnight posted:

So with Artifact finally dead, what’s a good news app? News.app is atrocious with how much it’s “here’s what we think you should read” and no matter how much I try to tune it, it just ends up becoming a somehow more cumbersome RSS reader with ads. I have an RSS reader app but I really liked that Artifact would occasionally pop up something that was interesting but also outside my typically read articles and RSS really can’t do that.

I’ve tried out a handful of other news apps and most of them are just dire clickbait nonsense slightly above downloading a tabloid directly to my phone.

Wouldn’t be a huge loss if I just read less news but is there anything decent out there I should try out?

In beta, wait list. But you can sign up and read it on the web site in a limited, “top news” fashion.

https://www.particlenews.ai

Also,

https://www.newsminimalist.com

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Queer Grenadier posted:

In beta, wait list. But you can sign up and read it on the web site in a limited, “top news” fashion.

https://www.particlenews.ai

Also,

https://www.newsminimalist.com

Checked these out, particle looks pretty promising, and news minimalist seems like a good thing for me to use right now.

Thanks, these will do nicely.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL

SaturdayKnight posted:

Checked these out, particle looks pretty promising, and news minimalist seems like a good thing for me to use right now.

Thanks, these will do nicely.

Yay! Glad it was a good fit.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

bolind posted:

I know you can prevent specific apps from using mobile data, but is the opposite possible? I have an app that controls my home alarm system that always freaks out on my home WiFi, but never on 5G.

(Which is super dumb because when do you turn your alarm on or off? Right outside your door, well in range of WiFi.)

Do you need to enable NAT reflection/hairpin NAT on your router?

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
woke up this morn to basically a bricked 15 pro max. was on the hello screen with unresponsive touch. voume up down lock hold didn't work. plugged it into the compute and its resetting to factory now....

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

LEST I GET MORE "OWNED" FOR BEING "STUPID" I WILL SAY THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE. IT IS OFTEN PART OF DIAGNOSIS AND STAGING BUT IS ALMOST USELESS FOR TREATMENT.
Restored from icloud backup and the software is supposedly up to date. Had auto updates on not sure if there was an update last night. What an absolutely messy message. Would not expect this mess from apple

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Maudib Arakkis posted:

woke up this morn to basically a bricked 15 pro max. was on the hello screen with unresponsive touch. voume up down lock hold didn't work. plugged it into the compute and its resetting to factory now....

If you have a Mac, load up Apple Configurator and try the 'revive device.' That can fix OS poo poo without touching your apps and settings.

Maudib Arakkis
Dec 24, 2023

Jose Oquendo posted:

If you have a Mac, load up Apple Configurator and try the 'revive device.' That can fix OS poo poo without touching your apps and settings.

i plugged into my mac and did a factory reset and restore from icloud. Where is apple configurator?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Maudib Arakkis posted:

Where is apple configurator?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

All my devices have been flashing “New Mac/Phone/Watch added to your account” but when I check there’s nothing new in my device list. I’ve also been prompted to authenticate to my iCloud account on two devices repeatedly now. If this is some kind of social engineering thing I’m not getting it. Hope it’s just some kind of backend hiccup.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

some kinda jackal posted:

All my devices have been flashing “New Mac/Phone/Watch added to your account” but when I check there’s nothing new in my device list. I’ve also been prompted to authenticate to my iCloud account on two devices repeatedly now. If this is some kind of social engineering thing I’m not getting it. Hope it’s just some kind of backend hiccup.

There exists a 2FA bypass hack, so to speak, which involves repeatedly spamming someone with authentication requests until they accept one either out of impulse or annoyance or something. Can't tell for sure if this is what you've got but it probably couldn't hurt to cycle your iCloud password.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agree. Cycled the password, but I think this is much less frequent then what I see reports of the MFA exhaustion attack vector being. I should have clarified, I got these like twice a day for the past two days, not in rapid succession. I honestly think it's just a hiccup somewhere but definitely can't hurt to be safe and reset authentication.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fedule posted:

There exists a 2FA bypass hack, so to speak, which involves repeatedly spamming someone with authentication requests until they accept one either out of impulse or annoyance or something. Can't tell for sure if this is what you've got but it probably couldn't hurt to cycle your iCloud password.

Don't you need to also put in the 6 digit code your device shows though?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Aphrodite posted:

Don't you need to also put in the 6 digit code your device shows though?

Yes if you're using that (including Apple's own native 2FA). No if you're using a push notification based method like MS Authenticator.

E: I thought we were talking 2FA in general, not iCloud in particular. Whoops! :pseudo:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

is there a way to have two focus modes at the same time? if I’m in Personal focus mode and get in the car, it switches to Driving and then I get all my work notifications which is not what I want on a weekend

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Not that I’m aware of, but you can set schedules and, theoretically, make Personal Focus have higher priority.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

is there a way to have two focus modes at the same time? if I’m in Personal focus mode and get in the car, it switches to Driving and then I get all my work notifications which is not what I want on a weekend

Update your driving focus to match personal?

I use teams/outlook works hours thing to have no notifications during off work hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My favorite part about Office and Teams is how they erase my quiet hours settings every other update.