Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I feel like I’m going mad. Apple Music Spatial Audio, as in the thing that makes music sound like it’s coming from multiple points around you. Does it work on all headphones or just the AirPods Max and Beats Solo Pro? I feel like it’s meant to work on everything, but I can’t find any solid explanation because it’s muddled up with the Spatial Audio which makes your music sound like it’s coming from wherever your phone is.

I have some old Beats Solo3 headphones which I could have sworn used to show up as Spatial Audio, but now when I use them the option to turn it on/off isn’t there. I can’t be sure if I’m misremembering or if Spatial isn’t available at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Creature posted:

I feel like I’m going mad. Apple Music Spatial Audio, as in the thing that makes music sound like it’s coming from multiple points around you. Does it work on all headphones or just the AirPods Max and Beats Solo Pro? I feel like it’s meant to work on everything, but I can’t find any solid explanation because it’s muddled up with the Spatial Audio which makes your music sound like it’s coming from wherever your phone is.

I have some old Beats Solo3 headphones which I could have sworn used to show up as Spatial Audio, but now when I use them the option to turn it on/off isn’t there. I can’t be sure if I’m misremembering or if Spatial isn’t available at all.

It works on everything, its just a different mix using Dolby Atmos. Airpods and Beats though have the option of automatically switching to it which I've never been sure of the utility of. I don't think it's that good though so I just keep it off.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

njsykora posted:

It works on everything, its just a different mix using Dolby Atmos. Airpods and Beats though have the option of automatically switching to it which I've never been sure of the utility of. I don't think it's that good though so I just keep it off.

Thanks, that's what I thought...

When I'm using my Airpods and go into the volume control, Spatial Audio options are off/fixed/head tracked.

The Beats just show noise cancellation. So how do you turn Spatial Audio on/off, if at all?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Creature posted:

Thanks, that's what I thought...

When I'm using my Airpods and go into the volume control, Spatial Audio options are off/fixed/head tracked.

The Beats just show noise cancellation. So how do you turn Spatial Audio on/off, if at all?

It's in the settings menu under music.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I didn't even think of looking in there.:doh:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
The maniacs finally did it. They implemented Dolby Atmos on a mono audio track.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Does everyone else have the iOS Safari issue of forum pages with too many embedded images /gifs / webms crashing Safari repeatedly.

Any workaround or alternate browser that isnmt affected?
Is it the same on iPad Safari still too, or is the additional ram enough?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Awful app

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Alternate browsers are just a skin on Safari. Thanks, Tim Apple.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It's not like Android browers are much better - Chrome doesn't have extensions on mobile, and Firefox is slow as hell to roll out new features and updates like Passkey support. Webkit is just as open-source as Chromium - Devs are free to add features to it if something is missing.

I like Safari on mobile, it has great extensions - User Scripts, Stop The madness, SponsorBlock, Opener, Search ban, AdGuard Pro, Wipr, and Noir.

I use Arc on desktop, but bounce between Chrome and Firefox depending on the webdev-related work and collaboration tools I'm using at the time - XD is horrible in Firefox.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 8, 2024

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Corb3t posted:

I like Safari on mobile, it has great extensions - User Scripts, Stop The madness, SponsorBlock, Opener, Search ban, AdGuard Pro, Wipr, and Noir.

I understand the compromises & decisions taken by Apple in creating the iPhone hardware and iOS Safari, and I mostly agree with them. The web experience on iOS has been worlds better than on Android since inception, albeit partly due to far better hardware. But content blockers are no longer an acceptable ad blocking solution, and never worked on many sites.

Being able to cope with a poorly coded site and load 50-100 embedded gifs is likely an edge case these days, but it’s still a pain to have the browser in a crash loop. Some warning and a chance to not load the gifs would be nice. They can’t throw ram at things as on desktop, which I guess is the only problem.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can anyone with a Tesla comment on the connectivity with an iPhone? Obviously CarPlay is out the window, but can I still stream Apple Music, play my Overcast podcasts, and have texts read to me, and voice dictated messages to reply?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It still has Bluetooth for all that

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can anyone with a Tesla comment on the connectivity with an iPhone? Obviously CarPlay is out the window, but can I still stream Apple Music, play my Overcast podcasts, and have texts read to me, and voice dictated messages to reply?

yeah, all that works fine on my 2016 S

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

It still has Bluetooth for all that

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, all that works fine on my 2016 S

Rad. Do you get text notifications on the Tesla screen and can listen/respond to them like Carplay?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Rad. Do you get text notifications on the Tesla screen and can listen/respond to them like Carplay?

Yeah, and I can press the voice command button and say “text Henrik” and it’ll work. The speech-to-text is a lot better than it was a couple of years ago, but it’s not as good as Apple’s sometimes. If I grab my phone and hold the power button then Siri listens through the car microphone appropriately, but I don’t usually bother.

Only thing that doesn’t work is replying to group texts; a limitation of Apple’s Bluetooth messaging support or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I did read that it would only reply to the last person in a group that sent a message, which seems wildly janky.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

wooger posted:

Does everyone else have the iOS Safari issue of forum pages with too many embedded images /gifs / webms crashing Safari repeatedly.

Any workaround or alternate browser that isnmt affected?
Is it the same on iPad Safari still too, or is the additional ram enough?

Which pages/threads are crashing? Which iphone do you have, and what iOS version is it running?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My wife and I share a Google calendar with family events on it. We just discovered that when I (with an Android phone) add an event with a notification, when it syncs to the Calendar iOS app, it comes through with no alert set. Is there anything we can do to fix that?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

hooah posted:

My wife and I share a Google calendar with family events on it. We just discovered that when I (with an Android phone) add an event with a notification, when it syncs to the Calendar iOS app, it comes through with no alert set. Is there anything we can do to fix that?

Settings > Calendar?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Settings > Calendar?

That'll apply to events that I create that get synced to her phone? What if we don't always want the alert the same amount of time before?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm actually not sure to be honest. I leave my default set to no alarm as shown and selectively turn on alarms for events that I actually need a reminder for. Was just a suggestion to try it. I don't use GSuite services.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm actually not sure to be honest. I leave my default set to no alarm as shown and selectively turn on alarms for events that I actually need a reminder for. Was just a suggestion to try it. I don't use GSuite services.

Sure, a default's better than nothing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/s/OyFIsKeAKW

Holy poo poo, that’s a wild message to receive. Not just ‘some dickhead kid is trying to crack your Apple ID’ but ‘you are the target of a state sponsored attack’.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Has iOS hosed around with autocorrect in messages recently? I swear I'm about to lose my mind:

• I write something nonstandard.
  • I "click" on the word to say, yes, I want this, not the replacement.
  • I press space.
  • Word is replaced anyways.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

bolind posted:

Has iOS hosed around with autocorrect in messages recently? I swear I'm about to lose my mind:

• I press space.

Been doing this to me since iOS 17 released. Extremely frustrating and I haven’t found a solution beyond turning autocorrect off entirely

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

bolind posted:

• I press space.

yep. what the hell is going on with that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bolind posted:

• I press space.

Yup.

Other classics are write a single word reply with a standard word and it changes the word to something completely different.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
AI powered autocorrect

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They put some AI bullshit into the corrections with iOS 17 and it's absolute dogshit. It's not even a correction anymore, it makes up stuff it thinks you're trying to say (and it's never right).

It got more stubborn about replacing words too. Backspacing and trying again is very unreliable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

It got more stubborn about replacing words too. Backspacing and trying again is very unreliable.

Holy gently caress this too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also trying to double-tap at the end of a line to get to “select all” is now infuriating. it selects the last word, then I delete it, then it usually works (maybe because there’s a trailing space at that point?). I hate it multiple times a day as I rethink what Slack channel to send a message in

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Am I being A/B tested? Because I thought my autocorrect was worse but now that I'm trying it out it seems like it always has before? Don't you guys have the buttons above the keyboard with the word suggestions?

Autocorrect seems to be bad mostly with swipe typing right now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Autocorrect and suggestions are different, and indeed sometimes a word that is suggested will then be marked as an error to be corrected.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

slave to my cravings posted:

gaslighting powered autocorrect

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does anyone know if the Apple Card gives 3% cash back at the Apple Store when you use the actual card number, NOT using Apple Pay?

I'm planning to buy a new Macbook and I'm going to have my sister buy it with her account so I can use her education discount but I'd like to use my card (and pick it up in store myself - as I understand it, she'll be able to designate in-store pickup and 'someone else is picking this up for me').

If the physical card only gives 1% then I can easily use a different card, just wondering how they deal with this.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does anyone know if the Apple Card gives 3% cash back at the Apple Store when you use the actual card number, NOT using Apple Pay?

I'm planning to buy a new Macbook and I'm going to have my sister buy it with her account so I can use her education discount but I'd like to use my card (and pick it up in store myself - as I understand it, she'll be able to designate in-store pickup and 'someone else is picking this up for me').

If the physical card only gives 1% then I can easily use a different card, just wondering how they deal with this.

Based on this thread, it seems like you will.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255448263

That said, you could use your Apple Pay for her order, assuming she can do the order on your computer or iPhone or whatever.

Also, I would check with your employer and see if they have some sort of EPP with Apple. They're usually on par with the student discount.

Lastly, I would check out Costco and see if they have the model you want, assuming you got an executive membership, they give you 2% + 2% back on whatever minor discount they're offering on the device.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for tracking down that thread for me!

I tried buying the thing myself in the education store, and i got to the part where they wanted me to enter my AppleID. I presume I could have entered my own Apple ID and used my own Apple Pay, but in order to avoid any issues with education store eligibility down the line, I think it's probably better to use my sister's AppleID. It says if you want to use ApplePay it has to be associated with with the AppleID you used to log in. Maybe that's true and maybe it isn't, but I don't mind using my physical card to pay as long as I get the 3%. I won't get the 0% APR pay over time which sucks, but I can handle it.

Good call on looking for an employee discount. Turns out my company DOES have one, but it's something ridiculous like $10 off an iphone 13 or something like that. No discount on the newer machines. And unfortunately Costco does not stock the configuration I plan on buying.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You can use your own Apple ID and get that ‘shop for college’ discount. I do it all the time. At least in the US. They tried to do the verification thing here and it was broken as gently caress so they rolled it back immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can also, hypothetically, use the government discount which is the same as the educational discount and they do not in any way verify that you work for the government.