Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do they actually verify student status now? Last time I bought a MacBook from the froot stand it was basically "click here if you're a student/educator" and that was that. Don't think I even needed a edu email address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do they actually verify student status now? Last time I bought a MacBook from the froot stand it was basically "click here if you're a student/educator" and that was that. Don't think I even needed a edu email address.

I just purchased a MacBook in the store and my wife is a teacher but they didn't ask for anything to get the education discount. Might have been the person I had but he said they don't check anything in the store.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boris Galerkin posted:

Outside the US they do in some places.

As I mentioned, they tried it very briefly here, but it lasted just a couple of days because it didn't work. I forget who they were using for verification but it was broken. I work in higher ed (but not a student) and tried to do the whole verification thing and it did not work at all. I imagine that was the case for most users who weren't students.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

As I mentioned, they tried it very briefly here, but it lasted just a couple of days because it didn't work. I forget who they were using for verification but it was broken. I work in higher ed (but not a student) and tried to do the whole verification thing and it did not work at all. I imagine that was the case for most users who weren't students.

They used UniDays and I thought they stopped it because people complained hard about having to verify so they walked it back.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

They used UniDays and I thought they stopped it because people complained hard about having to verify so they walked it back.

Probably both reasons. It was broken from day 1 and people complained.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

ThermoPhysical posted:

Unidays is still there for Italian customers, which exclude us since we don't conform to what apple believes to be education sector. You can circumvent it by going to apple VARs which can sell you at edu prices without going thru unifuckers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

They stopped verification in the US during Covid when every kid was learning from home and never resumed it.

Also, Apple's education discount is for "students and parents/caretakers of students" so if you have a kid of any age you also qualify.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I forgot about that when I bought my mini, but I’m not sure that’s the case in Canada (or known to the staff)?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, parents if buying for post-secondary students, but otherwise just homeschoolers:

quote:

Eligibility

Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

K12 - Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in Canada is eligible, including homeschool teachers. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Postsecondary Education - Faculty and staff of Postsecondary institutions in Canada; and students attending, or accepted into a Postsecondary institution in Canada are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.

Postsecondary Education Parents - Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Postsecondary Education institution in Canada, are eligible to purchase.

https://www.apple.com/ca_edu_93120/shop/open/salespolicies

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

They stopped verification in the US during Covid when every kid was learning from home and never resumed it.

Also, Apple's education discount is for "students and parents/caretakers of students" so if you have a kid of any age you also qualify.

we’re all students of the world

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
That's also why the student discount is barely anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They do occasionally throw in deals like free Airpods with an iPad purchase on the education store though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Nope.

The verification went live on January 19 2022 and was turned back off on January 21 2022. It barely lasted 2 days because it didn't work.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/19/apple-implements-new-verification-process-and-product-limits-for-education-store-in-the-us/

https://9to5mac.com/2022/01/21/apple-education-store-verification-removed/

Apple never officially gave a reason for stopping it so soon. I asked our Apple account reps about it and off the record they said it was because they had a lot of trouble with it not working and they had a TON of complaints during those couple of days. I was on a few email chains with them and some people in our institution complaining. I've never seen people so angry about not getting a $50 discount on something.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 13, 2024

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A couple months after getting my iPhone 15 Pro, I've been noticing issues with charging. I have to blow into the port and cable and even then it doesn't always work right away. This was never an issue with Lightning. :colbert:

Endless Mike posted:

You can also, hypothetically, use the government discount which is the same as the educational discount and they do not in any way verify that you work for the government.
There's a government discount for iPhones/Apple products? I assume that doesn't apply to carrier payment plans associated with trade-in credits?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 15, 2024

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Josh Lyman posted:

A couple months after getting my iPhone 15 Pro, I've been noticing issues with charging. I have to blow into the port and cable and even then it doesn't always work right away. This was never an issue with Lightning. :colbert:

I had that issue with lighting too but only like after a year. Sucks. Thankfully I mostly charge through MagSafe these days. It also seems very dependent on plugs (Apple brand usb c seems to work a little better) and that one Anker powerbank with a folding usb c port also seems to randomly stop charging and then resume. The next power bank I get will for sure be MagSafe as well.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
My OG AirPods Pro play static over the audio when I'm on transparency/noise cancellation mode but it's perfectly fine when I have those turned off. Does this mean my AirPods are effectively dead? I'm out of warranty for sure.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

My OG AirPods Pro play static over the audio when I'm on transparency/noise cancellation mode but it's perfectly fine when I have those turned off. Does this mean my AirPods are effectively dead? I'm out of warranty for sure.

Take it to an apple store, the static thing is a known problem for the first model. They run a little test and if it comes up positive they give you replacement buds.

I did mine two years ago (also well out of warranty, I bought mine at launch) so I guess there's a chance they won't do it anymore but it's worth a try.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

If it bothers you, yeah, time for a new pair. Had the same thing happen to mine. I was able to trade mine onto Best Buy for like $40 off the new ones.

Apple gave me the hard no but as ^^^ says, there’s certain serial number ranges that they’ll swap.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My Airpods barely get 3 hours battery any more and it's annoying that I'm probably going to end up getting a new pair after only 3 years.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The battery life has never been super fantastic though, the only reason it hasn't annoyed me is because I can't really tolerate having stuff stuck in my ears for several hours so they get frequent recharge sessions in the case.

In terms of battery my only complaint is the case, I am real bad about remembering the last time I charged it and there's not really an alert if the case is drained.. so next time you go to listen something you got a dead case AND dead earphones. Instead of needing me to open the case and look at the little popup on my phone to get the charge level it should just yell at me if the battery is dead.

I guess there's the battery widget too but I ain't dedicating screen space to that.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

The battery life has never been super fantastic though, the only reason it hasn't annoyed me is because I can't really tolerate having stuff stuck in my ears for several hours so they get frequent recharge sessions in the case.

In terms of battery my only complaint is the case, I am real bad about remembering the last time I charged it and there's not really an alert if the case is drained.. so next time you go to listen something you got a dead case AND dead earphones. Instead of needing me to open the case and look at the little popup on my phone to get the charge level it should just yell at me if the battery is dead.

I guess there's the battery widget too but I ain't dedicating screen space to that.

I get low case battery alerts in the Dynamic Island (but I also have Airpods Pros Gen 2 so the case has bluetooth radios unlike first gen)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I'm a gen one bro.

Never buy a first gen apple product, etc etc. I never learn.

(I do really like the headphones though)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Take it to an apple store, the static thing is a known problem for the first model. They run a little test and if it comes up positive they give you replacement buds.

I did mine two years ago (also well out of warranty, I bought mine at launch) so I guess there's a chance they won't do it anymore but it's worth a try.

Yup mine did the same and they did the same.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah the Pro 2s are way more aggressive about contacting your phone regularly and reporting charge level.

xzzy posted:

The exchange option is valid for 3 years after sale.

The models affected are pre-October 2020 manufacturing dates, but some of those models could have sat on a shelf.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

njsykora posted:

My Airpods barely get 3 hours battery any more and it's annoying that I'm probably going to end up getting a new pair after only 3 years.

Yeah mine are only 2 years old from memory and only get a few hours. On the one anyway, the other just gives me the flashing led error and doesn’t work anymore, and throwing it at my bed* didn’t fix it.

* yes, this is a legitimate repair technique.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Yup mine did the same and they did the same.

fwiw I had this happen on my OG AirPods Pro and the tech at the store did the test and told me since I was a few months out of warranty that I was SOL and would have to buy new ones, so ymmv

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

There's a government discount for iPhones/Apple products? I assume that doesn't apply to carrier payment plans associated with trade-in credits?
Yeah if you scroll all the way to the bottom of the Apple Store page, there's a "Shop for Government" link. The discounts aren't great tbh, but they're there.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xzzy posted:

The battery widget won't save you if you have a lot of accessories like Pencil, Watch, and AirPods, since there's not enough space to show everything!
One of the AirPods wasn't making contact in its case and there was no way to see that.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
on an iphone 13 mini, the double click lock button for apple wallet no longer seems to work since the update. anyone know what’s up with this?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

You restart the phone yet?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So two emulator apps have come and gone from the App Store.

Someone published a GBA emulator that was quickly pulled because it was a ripoff of an existing emulator.

Today an NES emulator went up and was later pulled by the developer. His reason: “I removed the app out of fear. No one reached out to me.”

I did manage to get the NES app before it was pulled. It works, but I haven't played around with it much. The pulled GBA and this one both let users side load ROMS. The NES emulator uses the Files poo poo so you can get them onto the iPad pretty easily.

So far it does seem that side loading ROMS is totally OK and not against App Store guidelines.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jose Oquendo posted:

So far it does seem that side loading ROMS is totally OK and not against App Store guidelines.

MacRumours asked Apple and they apparently said loading user downloaded apps is fine but they specifically said only with "retro emulation" which is probably something people are going to push on until they find the line.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

I’m kinda surprised Apple hasn’t gotten an angry phone call from Nintendo and backed down… given that it seems like emulating Nintendo hardware seems far and away the biggest chunk of the emulation scene and combined with Nintendo’s disdainful stance toward emulation, I am surprised Apple okayed this.

If only the Apple TV would be allowed alternative clients for services or even just a web browser… that’d be the day.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there an anti-anti-Adblock extension (or modification to an extension I probably have) to prevent sites from asking me this on safari?

It seems like the internet is aware I run adblockers but id actually prefer they not know or try guilt tripping me about it.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah, they switched to Unidays for Japan recently and it has been a disaster. The process is only in English, does not have a proper list of Japanese universities, and flat out does not work for staff. People who contact them say that the emails are clearly machine translated and they're incredibly annoying with demanding proof. They haven't walked back on it yet though, so who knows, maybe people in other countries just don't complain as much as the US.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

buglord posted:

Is there an anti-anti-Adblock extension (or modification to an extension I probably have) to prevent sites from asking me this on safari?

It seems like the internet is aware I run adblockers but id actually prefer they not know or try guilt tripping me about it.

I use 1Blocker on my Apple devices and I don’t seem to have any issues with anti-adblockers defeating it. It’s a paid app, and they try to get you to do a monthly or annual subscription, but there is a one-time purchase option too if you look deep enough for it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have 1Blocker and really like it but am also having some of the same issues the requester was mentioning. Perhaps it’s a config issue?

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Dogen posted:

I have 1Blocker and really like it but am also having some of the same issues the requester was mentioning. Perhaps it’s a config issue?

I have the issue with these ads too and I asked in their Reddit and they are aware of the issue but say it’s harder to solve.

https://www.reddit.com/r/1Blocker/s/HPgCnjvrA6

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

god this blows posted:

I have the issue with these ads too and I asked in their Reddit and they are aware of the issue but say it’s harder to solve.

https://www.reddit.com/r/1Blocker/s/HPgCnjvrA6

Yeah I looked up Admiral (the company behind the anti-Adblock stuff) and their product page boasts about them circumventing stuff. Then something with the power of AI, but AI is everything, and everything is AI so I figure it’s just marketing.

Is there such thing as NoScript for iOS Safari?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

do focus modes affect battery life? I configured things so that my phone was always in either personal or woken or sleep mode, and since then my battery life has been awful

nothing looks that unusual in the usage chart, other than that I spend too much time on the forums