Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jose Oquendo posted:

So two emulator apps have come and gone from the App Store.

Someone published a GBA emulator that was quickly pulled because it was a ripoff of an existing emulator.

The app it was based on (gba4ios) is now available itself as Delta. Seems really well done, and no monetization afaict.

Includes: NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, NDS.

And Genesis, but I couldn’t get it to load anything.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1048524688

No native iPad version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rinkles posted:

The app it was based on (gba4ios) is now available itself as Delta. Seems really well done, and no monetization afaict.

Includes: NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, NDS.

And Genesis, but I couldn’t get it to load anything.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1048524688

No native iPad version.

Yup. Grabbed that today. Looks like it works on Apple silicon but there's better options for MacOS.

Subjunctive posted:

do focus modes affect battery life? I configured things so that my phone was always in either personal or woken or sleep mode, and since then my battery life has been awful

nothing looks that unusual in the usage chart, other than that I spend too much time on the forums

Generally speaking I would say no. Does your phone have always-on display and if yes, are your focus modes making that stay on? If they do, then I could see it hitting the battery more than if the screen was totally off. Focus modes don't straight up disable notifications, they just prevent them from being displayed, so the phone is still doing the push/fetch. Could also be a hanging app.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 17, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My phone has AOD but it was on before anyway. It seems to be going into “sleep display” or whatever just like before, such that I have to tap it to wake it up and interact.

I’ll see if I can find a pattern.

(Way too much time on this site, though.)

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Having had various focus modes on for a significant chunk of the last few years I can safely say I have never noticed any kind of battery drain associated with having a focus mode on. That’s a very odd issue, but I occasionally just have “bad battery days” where everything just seems to drain way worse for no discernible reason and reboots don’t even help. It usually just figures itself out by the next morning.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Guessing new AirPods are imminent and Gen 2s are going to be discontinued, hence down to $80. I wish the Gen 3s went down to $130 like the Gen 2s did last time, cos I should replace my dying pair and can’t justify double on a generation that’s about to be pushed down the line. Hmph.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What could cause messages to not be sorted by latest communication (I'm talking about the overview, not an individual thread.)

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

bolind posted:

What could cause messages to not be sorted by latest communication (I'm talking about the overview, not an individual thread.)

Messages on my MacBook and sometimes the phone gets out of order maybe a couple times a month randomly. I force quit then re-open Messages and it sorts correctly again.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I returned a phone I bought to someone but forgot to log out of it and wipe it. Is there a way to do that remotely?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yes you can remotely wipe it from iCloud.com. It will still have activation lock but once you delete it from your account you should be good.

https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/erase-a-device-mmfc0ef36f/icloud

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I just switched from Spotify to Apple Music.

Is the 'New Music' section the only way to see new releases for the week? I see 44 different albums at the moment. It doesn't look like it includes singles, only albums. Is there a way to see all new releases for the week or month including singles?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The home section has a new music playlist that is updated with songs every week.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

obi_ant posted:

I just switched from Spotify to Apple Music.

Is the 'New Music' section the only way to see new releases for the week? I see 44 different albums at the moment. It doesn't look like it includes singles, only albums. Is there a way to see all new releases for the week or month including singles?

Discovery is really bad in Apple Music compared to Spotify.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is it possible to copy just a line or word of text from an iMessage or SMS?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Unfortunately it takes a little time for Apple Music to better understand your tastes - Spotify has years of listening habits for most users. Heres a great guide on how Apple Music’s algorithm compares to Spotifys and what you can do to optimize it.

I think my various playlists like New Music, and stuff like the Discovery station do a pretty good job of introducing me to new music, but I’ll be the first to admit that I prefer hand-picked artist remixes and playlists (Which AM has more of than Spotify) over the algorithmic stuff.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Sri.Theo posted:

Is it possible to copy just a line or word of text from an iMessage or SMS?

Tap and hold on the line, and it should give you the option to copy.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Mister Facetious posted:

Tap and hold on the line, and it should give you the option to copy.

I think the OP is talking about selecting a single word or line in part of a larger text message, which, AFAIK, no, there isn't. It's kinda stupid but that's Apple for ya.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Not ideal, but you can hold and drag another person’s message into your own message text box and single/double/trip tap to select specific words/sentences/paragraphs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
At that point you may as well just type it or slide. Especially if it's just one word. :effort:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If you press and hold and then chose "more" and then press the bottom right button it'll open a new message without a recipient. At least then you can double tap to cut and then hit cancel to get rid of the rest of the text. Not really ideal but it's what we have :shrug:

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Is there a way to delete inactive subscriptions? The only option I see is to renew.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How much does the previous year’s model tend to go down in price after the new one comes out? Or does it take a while?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Like $100

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it drops very slightly and effectively becomes a cheaper model in the lineup, since the various models aren't hugely different externally they don't really stop making the old one immediately so it's not like Androids where last year's model goes on blowout sales. The 15, 14 and 13 are all currently being sold for £800/700/600 respectively in the UK right now.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Is there a way to delete inactive subscriptions? The only option I see is to renew.

I don't think so, but they disappear a year after expiration.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MrNonacho posted:

I don't think so, but they disappear a year after expiration.

Which is kind of a net detriment. You can sometimes go back to the subscriptions page in the App Store and select an older subscription pricing that doesn't exist anymore.

But I understand it's super embarrassing to have a subscription for AI Girlfriend Super Waifu showing up there :smug:

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It’s only embarrassing if your new AI girlfriend super waifu sees it though.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you press and hold and then chose "more" and then press the bottom right button it'll open a new message without a recipient. At least then you can double tap to cut and then hit cancel to get rid of the rest of the text. Not really ideal but it's what we have :shrug:

🤔if only iMessage would actually recognise addresses and phone numbers from all countries…

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any way to estimate how much longer Apple will continue to provide security updates for an iPhone 8?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

hooah posted:

Is there any way to estimate how much longer Apple will continue to provide security updates for an iPhone 8?

Apple's update pattern is typically N-2, that is the current OS and the previous 2 versions. So right now the versions that receive updates are 15-17. Your phone supports up to iOS 16. Based off their typical pattern, iOS 16 will be unsupported when iOS 19 drops, which would most likely be fall 2025.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hooah posted:

you have at least one or two more years. my iphone 6s is still getting security updates.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Alright thanks. I was trying to decide if a replacement battery is worth it, especially since I'd be paying someone to do it since it sounds fiddlier than other battery replacements I've done.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
AirPods question: while the Gen 3 w/ MagSafe case comes w/ a USB-C to Lightning cable, the actual connector on the MagSafe case is USB-C, correct? Any expected discounts on these coming up, or probably not until Gen 4 are released later this year?

Also, random question for curiosity's sake: why does AirPlay work with a device that is only connected via Ethernet, while AirDrop does not?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

AirPlay uses IP traffic, but AirDrop specifically uses WiFi (Direct?)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AirPlay goes through the network so devices can be wired as long as they are on the same network and can see each other.

AirDrop creates an adhoc wireless connection between the two devices. They don’t need to be on the same WiFi or wired network at all but the WiFi radios (and BT I believe) do need to be on.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Splinter posted:

AirPods question: while the Gen 3 w/ MagSafe case comes w/ a USB-C to Lightning cable, the actual connector on the MagSafe case is USB-C, correct? Any expected discounts on these coming up, or probably not until Gen 4 are released later this year?

Also, random question for curiosity's sake: why does AirPlay work with a device that is only connected via Ethernet, while AirDrop does not?

No, AirPods gen 3 still uses lightning on the case

The only AirPods that use usb-c are AirPods Pro’s 2

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Speaking of AirPods Pro, one of the AirPods doesn't seem to be making a good connection in its case and doesn't charge.
I've tried cleaning it out and blowing it out, is there anything else to be done?
They're not quite 18 months old yet, is Apple going to help or tell me to buy a new set?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Speaking of AirPods Pro, one of the AirPods doesn't seem to be making a good connection in its case and doesn't charge.
I've tried cleaning it out and blowing it out, is there anything else to be done?
They're not quite 18 months old yet, is Apple going to help or tell me to buy a new set?

You can buy replacement AirPods individually as well as the case. I would try and narrow down which part is actually defective and go from there.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

~Coxy posted:

That's exactly how I watched three sets of Airpods (1st-2nd gen, non-pro) die. When the fourth pair started exhibiting the same problem, I realized how stupid I was being with my money and finally said no more. Better late than never.

I figured the long "stem" portion that touches the contacts inside the bottom case to charge was part of the problem, but if you're saying it's also happening on the newer models with shorter stems I'm glad I didn't even give them a try.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
How long do the AirPods usually last? My Max is still doing okay though there are some rare connection issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I’m on year 3 of mine.