Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

hatty posted:

How long do the AirPods usually last? My Max is still doing okay though there are some rare connection issues

3-5 years is roughly the expected lifespan of true wireless buds. The Max's will probably last longer just because full wireless headphones will have much bigger batteries that can degrade more before they start to become annoyingly short lived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just do what I did, buy the airpods pro at launch and use them for 3 years before the static problem got bad and get a free replacement at the apple store.

So by my calculations you get 6-8 years!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My day 1/gen 1 AirPod's battery life was drastically worse than my day 1/gen 1 AirPod Pros, but recently my partner said my microphone on my Airpod Pros was really quiet so I planned on grabbing a pair of gen 3's whenever Apple releases them.

I'll also be picking up an M4 MacBook Pro, Apple Watch Ultra 3, and iPhone 16 Pro whenever those are eventually released, too. Upgrade season is painful but new toys are nice and most of my devices are due for it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

hatty posted:

How long do the AirPods usually last? My Max is still doing okay though there are some rare connection issues

My launch day Pros lasted like 4 years. They were intermittently not charging like other people have described and I replaced them with the new ones.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
On my iPhone I have the Lock Screen set to shuffle photos of two specific people. I have lots of photos of them but it only seems to shuffle through a limited number of photos.

Is there any way to expand the selection it uses?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I told you, I’m not sending more pics

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It does image processing to select "suitable" photos for the lock screen. If you leave it to its own devices it will only select from that pool and perhaps it's just a really small selection.

(the algorithm seems to prefer portrait orientation images with a clean top third and/or the subject's head being below where the lock screen clock would be)

You can force it to use photos by selecting them manually.. but then you lose all the automaticly generated fun. If you do this, the "featured" category are images the algorithm chose.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

(the algorithm seems to prefer portrait orientation images with a clean top third and/or the subject's head being below where the lock screen clock would be)

I guess my baby photos don’t meet that strict criteria…

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ghost of Steve told me you're photoing wrong.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
What I assumed would never happen has actually happened

Soulver, aka the best calculator app, actually loving released a new iPhone app.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/soulver-3/id1508732804

I’ve been using Soulver 2 since like, 2011, and while I don’t use it AS much in my current job, it was insanely useful in my past 12 years of jobs that involved a lot of constant daily math. It saved me a lot of headaches.

So far, I would say I probably would be fine staying with Soulver 2, but I’ll buy the $15 for Soulver 3 as a thank you for the last 12 years of 2 working with no glitches across yearly updated iPhones.

Anyway, just here to say hell yeah, they finally released it. Highly recommend it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Li-ion batteries aren’t black magic, and like Apple’s product pages show in small font, they all chemically age in a permanent way, given some time. For Apple devices it seems to be a few years if you’re lucky, to keep a battery in decent shape for the average user. It’s a cost/benefit for them too because batteries that age less would cost more, so they seem to go right up to the line where consumers would start complaining.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Duckman2008 posted:

Soulver, aka the best calculator app, actually loving released a new iPhone app.

I’ve been using Soulver 2 since like, 2011, and while I don’t use it AS much in my current job, it was insanely useful in my past 12 years of jobs that involved a lot of constant daily math. It saved me a lot of headaches.

So far, I would say I probably would be fine staying with Soulver 2, but I’ll buy the $15 for Soulver 3 as a thank you for the last 12 years of 2 working with no glitches across yearly updated iPhones.

Anyway, just here to say hell yeah, they finally released it. Highly recommend it.

My partner asked me why I said "holy poo poo!" out loud the other day when I got the notification from Soulver 2 that an iPhone version of 3 was now available. I then had to explain that it was about a... calculator app. Surprisingly, she hasn't left me (yet).

Kinda like you, though, after years of having 2 work just fine, I don't see many compelling reasons to buy 3. It was one of those things I really wanted when it was announced (for Mac/iPad) but I learned to live with 2 in my current workflow so... ehh. The dev kinda missed the window of opportunity by a few years. But I'm glad people who never bought 2 before are now able to get some form of the app, though. That was quite a sticking point to recommending it to new people. "It works perfectly on my phone but the dev doesn't sell it anymore in any shape or form." "Oh."

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Id be fine with the battery in my Max dying eventually if you could use it wired with 0% power. Like my old wireless sennheisers that last twenty minutes on battery so now they’re my dedicated wired set for videos games

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What does it do for $14 for iPhone + $35 for Mac that I can't do for free on wolframalpha.com?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Inner Light posted:

Li-ion batteries aren’t black magic, and like Apple’s product pages show in small font, they all chemically age in a permanent way, given some time. For Apple devices it seems to be a few years if you’re lucky, to keep a battery in decent shape for the average user. It’s a cost/benefit for them too because batteries that age less would cost more, so they seem to go right up to the line where consumers would start complaining.

Sure, but AirPods (and to a lesser extent Watches) are particularly bad because you're running them to very deep levels of discharge and cycling them more frequently than 1/day.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

What does it do for $14 for iPhone + $35 for Mac that I can't do for free on wolframalpha.com?

I wouldn’t ever buy Soulver for Mac personally. For mobile phone it’s just an easy way to organize quick math imo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Does it have RPN.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'd buy it if it does conditional probability calculations for you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Does it have RPN.

I don’t know what this is.

Quackles posted:

I'd buy it if it does conditional probability calculations for you.

It might? It has a 30 day free trial for anyone who wants to try it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Duckman2008 posted:

It might? It has a 30 day free trial for anyone who wants to try it.

60,9,+

=69

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Duckman2008 posted:

Reverse Polish Notation

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Does it have RPN.

Update: It does not. :-/

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Use PCalc everyone, it has RPN

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

illcendiary posted:

Use PCalc everyone, it has RPN

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
iCloud.com is still a bit of a slow and awkward mess and doesn't have a great calendar, reminder, etc. interface.

Is there a list of Windows software that syncs up well with the iCloud services to make it feel as nice as it probably does if I had a Mac?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think it’s pretty trashy even on macOS but the official iCloud app on Windows acts pretty similar to OneDrive with Explorer integration

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

iCloud.com is still a bit of a slow and awkward mess and doesn't have a great calendar, reminder, etc. interface.

Is there a list of Windows software that syncs up well with the iCloud services to make it feel as nice as it probably does if I had a Mac?

Reminders and notes are very hard to use nicely cross-platform, but at least your calendars can be imported into most any calendar program you choose.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That sucks about Reminders and Notes. :( I was really hoping that Apple had tried a bit harder in recent years to not tie its services so tightly to the hardware when it's not necessary.

I've been using Google Calendar as my main calendar back-end so that's fine there anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
There's probably (but I can't personally think of any except Obsidian which is WAY overkill) a third party notes/reminders replacement app/service that syncs over icloud to give you the same functionality but better on a Windows desktop.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Question Mark Mound posted:

I was really hoping that Apple had tried a bit harder in recent years to not tie its services so tightly to the hardware when it's not necessary.

The Justice Department was hoping to see that too but alas it did not happen

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Arivia posted:

There's probably (but I can't personally think of any except Obsidian which is WAY overkill) a third party notes/reminders replacement app/service that syncs over icloud to give you the same functionality but better on a Windows desktop.

Obsidian with remote save is fantastic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kri kri posted:

Obsidian with remote save is fantastic.

It's fantastic it's just like giving someone a pile driver when they want to nail a poster to a wall.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Anyone ever have an issue with Stolen Device Protection activating randomly? I just had it turn on at the grocery store that I go to basically weekly. Locked my account down until I got home, at which point I guess it recognized that I was home and it unlocked instead of needing to wait the full hour.

My only guess is that I was biking to the grocery store for the first time on my new e-bike and my phone somehow detected that I was traveling at an “unusual” speed?

Annoying either way, forced a password reset when I technically didn’t need one.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i don't know what stolen device protection is but it sounds like a bad feature so i hope i have it disabled.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212510

It’s not a bad thing. I’ve had it on since it was in beta (it’s opt in) and never had a problem with it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

POCKET CHOMP posted:

i don't know what stolen device protection is but it sounds like a bad feature so i hope i have it disabled.

:psyduck:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

illcendiary posted:

Anyone ever have an issue with Stolen Device Protection activating randomly? I just had it turn on at the grocery store that I go to basically weekly. Locked my account down until I got home, at which point I guess it recognized that I was home and it unlocked instead of needing to wait the full hour.

My only guess is that I was biking to the grocery store for the first time on my new e-bike and my phone somehow detected that I was traveling at an “unusual” speed?

Annoying either way, forced a password reset when I technically didn’t need one.

Happened to myself earlier. I was sitting on my rear end watching Twitch when my iPhone, Mac and AppleTV all locked me out. Seems to be some widespread issue but no cause identified yet.

https://9to5mac.com/2024/04/26/signed-out-of-apple-id-account-problem-password/

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Happened to myself earlier. I was sitting on my rear end watching Twitch when my iPhone, Mac and AppleTV all locked me out. Seems to be some widespread issue but no cause identified yet.

Thank you! It’s a pain in the rear end but I’m glad I’m not the only one.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Ah same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Good to know that’s why my iPhone is wanting me to unlock / reset poo poo this morning.

I’m on a one-hour timeout to reset my password because my home “isn’t a known location” lol