Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

Are they that much better than Andar? My old case was a Saddleback and they seem to have stopped making them, so I went with Andar because it was closed-design.

They're fairly similar tbh. Here's a reddit post comparing a 15PM Bullstrap case to a 14PM Andar case:

https://www.reddit.com/r/patinaproud/comments/180hq5w/bullstrap_vs_andar_aspen_iphone_15_pro_max/

I actually generally like the open bottom lip, but I've not used a closed-bottom leather case since the iPhone 5S, so I figured I'll give the new Bullstrap a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Open bottom is good because it makes swiping much easier and I don’t think it actually affects the protection at all.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Andar is good as well if you want like "funky" colors. They have a red leather and a turquoise leather that looks more dark green which I thought was nice. It's also cheaper.

I'll always shill for Bullstrap though since they aren't far from where I live so I get the cases really quick.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Congrats on buying the best leather case you'll ever use. I've used their cases on an iPhone 12 mini, 13 Pro, 14 Pro, and 15 Pro Max in multiple colors. I have two of their Apple Watch bands. My dad subsequently bought himself a phone case, an iPad case, and their new laptop sleeve. My mother has two cases for her phone in different colors.

We're absolutely sold on their product quality.

e: lmao jesus christ, since we bought everything through my account I can see that as a family we've bought $1,127 worth of product from them.

Make sure you redeem whatever rewards points you have with them. I always forget about it and I had a coupon for like $50 sitting there I used for the closed bottom case.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 23, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know i might start to sound like a broken record but my 14 decided to melt his battery down by another two points last week to 93%, with the battery barely making to 50% after eight hour of use. I take that asking apple for support with a similar levels of wear after nine months would receive laughs at best as response, is that correct?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I don’t think they’re going to laugh you out of the room, but they’re also not going to do anything about it since it. My 12 mini’s battery health was down to 80% less than a year after I bought it, so it’s not unheard of for the batteries to just poo poo themselves, but if you’re not at 80% or lower you’ll have to pay for a battery replacement. You might consider doing that though in the event you just have a bad battery.

Skeezy posted:

Make sure you redeem whatever rewards points you have with them. I always forget about it and I had a coupon for like $50 sitting there I used for the closed bottom case.

Yeah I had $20 in rewards that I redeemed. I usually only buy during sales or when I’ve got some rewards available.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Does anyone ever have issues where their iPhone shows connected to the internet but certain apps act like there is no internet connection?

Yesterday, I noticed that it was happening a lot. I had to switch internet bands for it to work again but then it would happen with the new band. The entire time, my Roku tv was wirelessly connected and playing NCAA games without issue.

Has anyone else ever had this and if so, is there someway to correct this issue?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reboot

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I did yesterday. Turned it off and left it off for a little bit. Still happening today.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Does anyone ever have issues where their iPhone shows connected to the internet but certain apps act like there is no internet connection?

Yesterday, I noticed that it was happening a lot. I had to switch internet bands for it to work again but then it would happen with the new band. The entire time, my Roku tv was wirelessly connected and playing NCAA games without issue.

Has anyone else ever had this and if so, is there someway to correct this issue?

Do you have a vpn app for your phone? Some of them are just crap.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Do you have Low Data Mode turned on for the network? Does the network have any limitations placed on how much data your phone can use?

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you have a vpn app for your phone? Some of them are just crap.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Or if you have something like a Pi-Hole set up, some apps will pitch a fit and refuse to do anything until they can talk to 100 different monitoring services.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

No VPN and low data mode is not turned on.

It seems like it has just started over the last few days. No other devices seem to have any issue (including wife and daughter’s iPhones).

Could it be where the radio transmitters for WiFi are having issues? There seems to be no issue with cell data.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Reboot internet too

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don’t reboot the internet right now, I’m using it. Maybe do it tonight?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Branch Nvidian posted:

I don’t think they’re going to laugh you out of the room, but they’re also not going to do anything about it since it. My 12 mini’s battery health was down to 80% less than a year after I bought it, so it’s not unheard of for the batteries to just poo poo themselves, but if you’re not at 80% or lower you’ll have to pay for a battery replacement. You might consider doing that though in the event you just have a bad battery.

Minor note on this: it's not 80% or lower, it's *below* 80%. My Watch is sitting at 80% and they won't replace the battery until it drops another 1%. (This may vary by the store worker, of course, but that's what I was told.)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SlowBloke posted:

I know i might start to sound like a broken record but my 14 decided to melt his battery down by another two points last week to 93%, with the battery barely making to 50% after eight hour of use. I take that asking apple for support with a similar levels of wear after nine months would receive laughs at best as response, is that correct?

Call Apple and have them run a remote diagnostic. They can at the very least tell if there is something wrong with the battery beyond normal wear and tear.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Reset your network settings

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

More of a general Apple question.

Does anyone make a credit card style airtag that works with Find My but also has a replaceable battery?

All the ones I can find online have a 2 year battery life and the battery is non-replaceable which feels extremely wasteful?

EDIT: Well this looks like exactly what I want.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 24, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Those things are really all too small to be user replaceable. They use custom fit batteries.

That rechargeable one is probably your best option.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Not what you asked for, but I use this with an AirTag and stick it in my wallet: https://a.co/d/iEYri7E

It’s not as flat as a credit card but it gets to use one of my spare AirTags and it works great.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just got the closed bottom Bullstrap in and you won’t believe it but it’s great.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Just got the closed bottom Bullstrap in and you won’t believe it but it’s great.

Mine will be here tomorrow

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

mine arrived on monday and it whips, absolutely love it. it somehow feels even better put together than their other cases

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

hatty posted:

Yeah imagine if the EU forced port parity in the age of Micro USB

Yeah, Mini-USB! :unsmigghh:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Incredibly specific fairly low-stakes question that I'm sure has been asked before but gently caress if I can google it, also I hope the iPhone thread is also the Airpods thread.

When using my Airpods Max while they're plugged in to power, if I run my finger along the metal casing on either of the cups it produces a very low-pitch buzzing noise, so long as I keep the finger moving. Also I can feel the metal surface vibrating slightly while this happens. I have not noticed any other fault with function or sound quality. This is not exactly a problem because I do not need to be constantly touching my headphones while using them, but I'm deeply curious. Activating either ANC or Transparency dampens, but does not mute, the noise. Contact with other objects does not produce the noise. What in the electrical engineering is going on.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
It’s a grounding issue. What are your APM plugged into? A computer? A charger? USB hub?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fedule posted:

Incredibly specific fairly low-stakes question that I'm sure has been asked before but gently caress if I can google it, also I hope the iPhone thread is also the Airpods thread.

When using my Airpods Max while they're plugged in to power, if I run my finger along the metal casing on either of the cups it produces a very low-pitch buzzing noise, so long as I keep the finger moving. Also I can feel the metal surface vibrating slightly while this happens. I have not noticed any other fault with function or sound quality. This is not exactly a problem because I do not need to be constantly touching my headphones while using them, but I'm deeply curious. Activating either ANC or Transparency dampens, but does not mute, the noise. Contact with other objects does not produce the noise. What in the electrical engineering is going on.

This is a known phenomenon across many Apple (and non-Apple) products with a metal exterior. It seems to be related to imperfect shielding, so a little bit of power somehow makes its way to ground which is bonded to the metal exterior. I'm not good with EE so I don't have a better explanation. But, it shouldn't cause any harm.

The way to stop that happening with a laptop is to buy an optional grounded power plug to replace the non-grounded OEM plug.

I have the same thing on my MacBook Pro, have posted about it before. While charging if you run your finger anywhere on the laptop, makes a funny slight tingling sensation. It's slightly increased if you lick your finger before.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 30, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Fedule posted:

Yeah this is something I've had with Apple gadgets really every since they used metal casings. I remember my 2011 iPad doing the same thing. Maybe even my 2nd gen iPod?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Me this morning, a few feet away from my phone: “Hey Siri, remind me this weekend to bring (item name) back to my family home.”

Siri, after patiently waiting for me to finish my complete sentence: “Okay, I’ll remind you.”

If anyone overheard me and knows what I was meant to bring back to my family that would be great, thanks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Have you tried asking Alexa or google if they were listening

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

God I love electronics. I love them so much. Anyway this happens with both the wall charger I usually use for stuff and a battery pack but not when plugged directly into my Macbook Pro, although I can't tell for sure that it's actually charging of the MBP. I'm using Apple's USB-C to Lightning cable for both. I'll experiment with some other chargers later out of curiosity. Now that the idea is suggested to me, I have also noticed the same effect happening on the back surface of the watch charging part of the Magsafe Duo charger.

I feel like this should be more dangerous but I gotta figure if this poo poo was gonna shock people it would've got me by now, let alone literally anyone else. I don't understand electronics at all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fedule posted:

I feel like this should be more dangerous but I gotta figure if this poo poo was gonna shock people it would've got me by now, let alone literally anyone else. I don't understand electronics at all.

It is shocking you every time you feel it, just at a very low voltage :science:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Fedule posted:

God I love electronics. I love them so much. Anyway this happens with both the wall charger I usually use for stuff and a battery pack but not when plugged directly into my Macbook Pro, although I can't tell for sure that it's actually charging of the MBP. I'm using Apple's USB-C to Lightning cable for both. I'll experiment with some other chargers later out of curiosity. Now that the idea is suggested to me, I have also noticed the same effect happening on the back surface of the watch charging part of the Magsafe Duo charger.

Yeah I get the same on my regular Apple MagSafe charger, it's kinda handy because I can tell if it's plugged into the wall wart if I'm paying attention by how the metal part feels, since there's no other visual indication it's plugged in.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
This is such a weird thing to peeve about but does anyone know why Apple Maps goes between silky smooth animation when driving sometimes, then it gets all choppy as if it’s like sub 15 fps? I can’t imagine it’s my phone being that it’s a 15PM. and the phone doesn’t appear to be throttling especially since it’s mounted in front of a ac vent.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

buglord posted:

This is such a weird thing to peeve about but does anyone know why Apple Maps goes between silky smooth animation when driving sometimes, then it gets all choppy as if it’s like sub 15 fps? I can’t imagine it’s my phone being that it’s a 15PM. and the phone doesn’t appear to be throttling especially since it’s mounted in front of a ac vent.

Honestly have no idea but I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed this poo poo. I think it popped up on one of the iOS 17 releases. Maybe .3/.4 or something?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

buglord posted:

You could be hitting areas where maps are coming from different providers causing things to break, or weaker internet places, maps are weird.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have always been a little annoyed with Apple Maps being kind of choppy, but I still prefer it over Google Maps.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Can anyone recommend a wireless charger nightstand that supports an iPhone 15PM, Apple Watch, and AirPods case? The stand I’ve been using for years now doesn’t reliably charge the phone, possibly due to the camera bump lifting it slightly too far from the charging surface. I bought my dad a fancy Belkin for his phone and stuff and it’s nice, but it was also over $100 and I don’t want to spend that much again if possible, and I don’t give a poo poo about standby mode so MagSafe isn’t a necessity anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use this and it works well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC5JCJPV

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That one says it's unavailable. I did see a similar product from the same brand on the page for about $40. Looks like you have to bring your own cable and brick though.

I know you said you don't care about MagSafe, but if you want a good wireless charger, you absolutely want it. Also make sure to get one that supports the fast charging. I've also found from experience that a GOOD combo charger like that isn't always going to be cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
It’s kind of for travel, but I’ve been using and enjoying this one.

https://a.co/d/1SAP3wM