Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

canyonero posted:

Has anyone else been having issues with spotlight search? When I search for some things, it behaves as if it's not searching at all. For Maps in particular, it doesn't give me the app itself as a result.

Yeah search has randomly been really slow. Sure it just doesn’t take a while? I also have some weird keyboard lag from time to time since the update but I hope that gets ironed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I think you’ll be fine, resolution alone is huge, it’s just missing teleobjective

Sorry for the German but you’ll get the gist I guess

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

frogbs posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Apple silicone cases? I ordered one for my 15 pro, but some people say they aren't very durable. I'll guess i'll see what it's like, but am considering a case from Peak Design or Nomad.

I like silicone a lot but they’ve never lasted more than a year or two for me, the moment I drop them and they get a nick I start peeling at them and they come apart fast. But if you don’t fiddle the scratches I can see them last a long time and they’re good to clean.

Still going with fabric this time because I’m curious but if that doesn’t work out I’d go silicone again in a heartbeat.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Which is a downgrade if you find the 3x useful. If you look at the equivalent focal lengths, 77mm is probably going to come in handy more often than 120mm.

wait, it’s either 77 or 120 mm? lmao, great. I was pretty tempted to go with the pro max on the off chance I might use the turbozoom but ordered the regular pro.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Got the mulberry wallet & green fine woven case today. The colors are a lot darker in real life and the material feels nice but I’m really curious what it’ll look like a couple years down the line. Especially the wallet as I could take that across several phone generations as long as they don’t drop MagSafe.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How do you like the fine woven case? I thought about it, but ultimately went with my standard silicon one since it was $10 cheaper.

It feels more fine - as in cotton, maybe like cotton handkerchiefs - and uhhh slippery than the silicone - but the frame being made of plastic makes it grippier. It’s a very interesting departure for sure and I’d recommend trying it out in store or buying it and returning it if that’s a thing they allow (I seem to remember so). I’m sick of silicone but didn’t want leather again for ethical reasons so I’m happy with having a „luxury“ option again.

The wallet feels slick but as I started putting in cards I realized i need way more than three cards at a time so uhhh. Put in my ID and public transit card, which should cover most bases (maybe try and get my health insurance in there as well and the rest will have to go in a regular wallet still. Eh, should help with situations where Id usually forget my public transit stuff.

E: I slapped the wallet on my naked iPhone 12 Pro to try it out and now I’m debating going naked on the 15 pro lol. It handles so differently like with the swipes from edge gestures etc. Feels much more precise.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

NFX posted:

The case arrived yesterday, it's an interesting design. I wouldn't say it feels cheap, but it's very different from leather, and it does feel kind of fragile.

Yeah I kind of get that but on the other hand it does feel pretty sturdy somehow? I feel like the rim will get most of the abuse and that’s plastic.

quote:

What's most striking to me is how big the camera bump cutout is. Compared to my 11 pro it's probably more than a centimeter bigger in both directions. More than half the width is a hole. And the case itself even has a bump sticking out, lol.

Yeah I’m a little worried the Anker cube I’ve ordered will work with it. It already has a little gap when put in landscape mode on that silicone ball that you can get to hold the MagSafe puck. Might have to find a different solution for that one, angle seems too flat anyway.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Fine woven is fine, gently caress the haters. Everyone just mad they can’t murder animals for their phone anymore

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

The leather case was hilarious when it started to come apart, I mean it was clear that it’d be thin but THAT thin? Why even use leather at that point lol. I’ll agree that it’s a nice feel though and it aged well. How fine woven ages remains to be seen but my travel passport felt similarly if more coarse and that aged all right.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

If you have the Anker cube for charging and don’t use AirPods charging you can charge your electric toothbrush off the AirPods pad. Any other stuff that could be charged off this?

Also guess this goes for other similar charging sets.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Macichne Leainig posted:

Also in context of internet sensationalism here is my FineWoven back after a week

A few specks of dust, and a noticeable ring around the MagSafe magnets where I charge it, but that happened on any MagSafe case I had too, so...

Mine looks the same

My iPhone arrives Monday :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

So I have hearing aids that I use to stream music to.

Only downside is that whenever something involving the microphone happens they switch off (like Shazam or filming something with camera app, feels like they’re turning „on“ but there’s obviously no sound playing, not even passthrough from the camera) and then there’s randomly streaming sound for App Store and some websites/ads. Is there a way to restrict that so I don’t lose my hearing whenever I browse a website or want to see the lyrics to a song I’m listening to on a different speaker?

Only solution I have so far is turning Bluetooth off and that’s kind of convoluted plus sometimes it’ll make me blast music from my phone speakers when I forget to enable it again. :v:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

man, macro mode on the Pro is great (sorry if this is old news, I upgraded from the 12 Pro)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah that’s about it. I’d say switching to USB C is worth it because you’ll need to switch eventually but on the other hand it’s probably smart to wait a couple years for that market to mature even if there’s already a bunch of stuff.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

What? It's as mature as it's going to be - Androids have been using it for years at this point. Any quick search on Amazon will bring you dozens of pages of cables, charging bricks, and other accessories. If it gets any better than it is now, it's going to be so marginal as to be irrelevant unless you absolutely must buy Apple-branded stuff.

Yeah guess that shows I don’t know jack poo poo about USB C :v: I was thinking specialized stuff like mag safe uhhh powerbanks? Essentially stuff that’s not been thought of yet but seeing as there’s already MagSafe USB C fans it’s a moot point but sometimes the market has some surprises when stuff becomes more uhh mainstream (yeah I’m aware USB C is kind of an old hat)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Corb3t posted:

This third-party MagSafe that uses a USB C to USB C cable and has a built-in stand is also nice.

that's neat! I bought one of these for my Pro and its pretty great, i can just plug them in the charging brick. Really nice to not have to bother with extra cables.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Usually my 12 pro is dead by noon or something and the 15 pro still has 54% at 14:00 hours right now. Granted, I do a lot of work on the phone too and would probably have more battery life if I scrolled social media less

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah autocorrect and typing always gets a little weird with some updates/new hardware

In other update bugs: find my has gone kind of wonky, alerting me to having left behind my keychain which was still in my pocket and alerting me that I left my phone at home (yes??) which usually shouldn’t happen because it’s my home and as such a “safe zone” or whatever the phrasing is. Here’s hoping that sorts itself out.

The wallet blaring at me after 1 minute that i took it off is more annoying than helpful too, I’m considering just disabling it seeing as it only detects being taken off and not actual location.

Is there any way to re-enable automatically entering energy saver mode at 20% because that doesn’t seem to work anymore and I can’t find any settings :confused:

Also re: fine woven, I love it, the haptics are great and it held up well the first couple weeks. Already liking it much more than leather.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I'm using my Apple Watch as an alarm and have woken up to sleep mode being off a suspicious amount of times lately, I mean it kinda used to happen on the old OS as well but feels like it's basically standard ever since. Well gently caress, time to dig up the normal alarm clock

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone used the Streaks workout app and can vouch for whether it's any good? Don't need anything fancy, just something that will give me a simple guided (as in, it'll loudly say what exercise to move onto next so I'm not looking at my phone screen while trying to do sit ups) 10 minute workout each day that varies mildly and that doesn't require a subscription.

I used it ages ago and it was pretty good, letting you pick exercises and then allowing you to pick from presets between 7 and 30 minutes as well as designing your own. It was pretty flawless imo, watch integration was also very good. Just loaded it up and checked, looks about the same.

Can’t vouch for voiceover but the display
shows what you have to do in a very straightforward way.

I should get back on it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

A couple months after getting my iPhone 15 Pro, I've been noticing issues with charging. I have to blow into the port and cable and even then it doesn't always work right away. This was never an issue with Lightning. :colbert:

I had that issue with lighting too but only like after a year. Sucks. Thankfully I mostly charge through MagSafe these days. It also seems very dependent on plugs (Apple brand usb c seems to work a little better) and that one Anker powerbank with a folding usb c port also seems to randomly stop charging and then resume. The next power bank I get will for sure be MagSafe as well.