Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

sonatinas posted:

I listened to a couple deep tracks of hair metal and now my personal station is so bad. I’ll have to just start all over.

Ah, you’ve found your jazz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Quick poll:

I’m debating actually getting one of these things for my office. Which iPhone display should I consider getting:

https://gridstudio.cc/collections/iphone

I’d lean towards the 5 personally.

I really like the 4.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I just wish the processing of new images was prioritized a little higher. When I'm taking adorable cat pics to spam my wife with there's a 2-3 second delay before selecting the image actually selects it for me. The photo gets a little dot on it to indicate the phone is processing it, so that's something, but I demand instant cats!

Do you have a network share mounted in Files by any chance?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah I sometimes get photos taking forever to resolve or stopping you from sharing them with a pie on 3/4 full showing some kind of progress. Every time, ejecting a network share I forgot about fixes it. Really weird!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

bagmonkey posted:

Tomorrow's the day I get my first iPhone after using Android my whole smartphone life. I'm probably going to install the Google apps alongside the iOS versions of the apps to see what I like, but is there anything you guys recommend besides patience? I picked up a bunch of cables from Monoprice to replace the ones I still use, plan on picking up a case too. Regardless, I'll most likely drop by here to ask any questions I have, excited to get away from the janky rear end Google experience

Make use of the tips app. Seems like bullshit but it’s not!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Need a watch for multiple timers. Kind of dumb

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I hope someone revives my favourite 3GS app: Tits and Boobies

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

manwithoutskin posted:

Just adding I've used SongShift and recommended it a couple of times now and it's worked wonders. If you're doing a switch like this would definitely suggest it.

I prefer soundiiz but they’re both good apps, Brent.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Question Mark Mound posted:

Are there any apps that can get access to non-Homekit smart home stuff (bulbs and plugs, maybe even cameras too but that seems unlikely) that has a modern style widget that I can put on my homescreen? I exclusively have Tapo (TP-Link) stuff in my house but their widget is still the only pre-iOS 15 or whatever one that has to live at the very bottom of the side-widget screen which is a bit inconvenient.

There's an app called Watt that I can use for more detailed Shortcuts accessing my Tapo devices but it doesn't seem to have a widget.

You could use the homekit widget. You'd have to just run homebridge on a spare device to get the homekit hub to recognize your TP-Link accessories.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

I looked in Accessibility, I have searched a bit before, and I don't think you can. It is really annoying though and have drained my battery a handful of times by accidentally activating the camera.

You need an iPod sock

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Lots of talking past each other about spatial audio itt

There’s two modes of the spatial audio, centered and head tracked. The centred one gives you that cool Dolby atmos poo poo. The head tracked one gives you that dumb gimmick poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has anyone else encountered (and fixed?) this problem with the new Photo Shuffle wallpaper modes?

I go to Settings > Wallpaper > Add New Wallpaper

At the top I click the People bubble. In here are three people, two separate instances of my partner and one of my friend's toddler from four years ago. I have dozens of people correctly tagged in Photos but they don't show up anywhere where I can specify people in this way.

I did the workaround of just creating an album out of the photos and manually selecting that, but that only let me grab 50 photos and it'd be nice to have the computer pick through them all instead.

Anyone else have this issue?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

i did manual labor for a decade but being a lifelong gamer has left me with tenodonitis, rendering my thick, manly wrists weak and lacking. my wife has to hold my phone in front of my face for me, i use my nose to type out shitposts

(I think?) you’re joking but there’s actually at least one poster without hands who uses their nose to interact with the forums :v:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Mine corrected and to Andrew once I got the 12 mini. So I made a replacement rule but now I can’t type Andrew on the first try. It also capitalizes And for no reason a lot.

I’ve cut all the Andrew’s out of my life over this but it still haunts me.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Fine if all you want is a few extra lines I guess, but what a half assed implementation. Like, the screen I was trying to clip was showing how dumb and long a parcel track was taking, I’d still need to do multiple screenshots even with a bit extra vertical space. The fact it shows the entire page as a literal screenshot but then doesn’t allow you to just save that is just daft.

Like, full page screenshotting is insanely useful when testing web development etc and has been something I would’ve liked from the word go but understood it’s not a priority, but to kind of implement it is just a waste of time in most circumstances.

E: actually scratch that, you don’t get any extra space. I just did a regular screenshot and then one done with this ‘full page’ view, and it is the exact same. It literally doesn’t do anything.

Just save as PDF and use a shortcut to convert that output? You can probably combine the whole thing in one step.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'm pissed that they explained this absolutely nowhere and I have to use someone else's phone to google it when my phone locks.

Yeah it should really be etched into the phone somewhere. I have to look it up nearly every time, though I am a complete moron.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

There’s an Apple development thread that will probably instantly refute this but IIRC the way iOS handles background tasks makes custom alarm apps a colossal pain in the rear end

I guess this could be true but why is it great on the watch but not possible on iPad or iPhone?

I mean, other than the obvious answer which is to sell more watches.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

mawarannahr posted:

Thanks, I didn't know about this extension. It's nice the source code is available too: https://github.com/arnemart/SafariKeywordSearch

There are some benefits to the text replacement approach - the expansion happens immediately and visibly, whereas the extension processes the address contents invisibly after you enter the address. It also works in every app (Safari, Firefox Focus, Twitter) and for all search engines that share a syntax ("site:" works on google, bing :newlol:, and ddg).

The way SafariKeywordSearch replaces the template "@@@" is as follows:
code:
  if (match) {
    const spaceReplacer = match.spaceReplacer || '+'
    if (match.escape === false) {
      return match.expansion.replaceAll('@@@', searchPhrase.join(spaceReplacer))
    } else {
      const encodedSearchPhrase = searchPhrase.map(s => encodeURIComponent(s))
      return match.expansion.replaceAll('@@@', encodedSearchPhrase.join(spaceReplacer))
    }
  }
}
I tried to see if text expansion in the Safari address bar could do the same functions as this. It turns out space (%20), colon (%3A), and quotes (%22) get encoded correctly, but many other are not, depending on the context so you can set up a YouTube search that will work ok for most purposes -- but not for searching "c++ vs c#". The code that controls this behavior in URLs appears to be in CFURL.inc.h and it depends on the position of the characters.

You also need to add a space to trigger the replacement. This becomes a problem if the search query isn't a URL parameter -- with https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/example.com for example (one of the extension's builtins), it won't work as http[s://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ example.com". So you would have to remember the space if you have a text replacement for that URL with "qzd example.com".

So uh yeah different ways to accomplish things are cool. Thank you holy poo poo I need a job

This is a very cool post, thanks!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

I think Unicode Emojis is the worst thing that has happened to written real-time communication.

🤷🏻‍♂️

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
You should really just tell us your birthday. The SA iOS thread community really gets a kick out of birthdays

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Where are we on the update schedule for apple watches? My series 4 is kind of shot these days.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the watch tips everyone! I’ll save and get one in September

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
My 12 mini is starting to show its age at 86%

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Selecting this photo is 100% on me but still, lol

I have other images with stuff in the sky but it's usually clouds so the phone fades in the clock. I figured it would have done something similar for rocks but alas.

God nws your sext wallpaper plz

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah the headphones with that apple chip in them work like magic and are the promised land of Bluetooth things imo. Like I haven’t tried to reconnect them to any device, PC or Linux or whatever, and had it take longer than 20 seconds, across all makes and models, regardless of how long ago the last connection was.

But of course it’s even faster and more seamless if you have all apple poo poo.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

Not since the Beats Pros. The more recent Beats don’t have the W1 chip (no idea why other than assumed cost savings).

What? That’s a really dumb move! I guess I’ll use these studio 3s until they crumble in my hands.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Nthing the need for a few different types of press. Long, short, 1-3 clicks at least.

It would be ideal as a sensor that could respond to shortcut prompts, like two presses for x, three presses for y.

I use it for the camera since this phone is too drat big to access control centre all the time.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

Can someone give me some tips for Shortcuts? Specifically, what to call them in order to be able to ask Siri to execute them.

I have a shortcut that plays a playlist on shuffle. Works fine if I execute it manually.

If I call it something like "My Music" or "Shuffle Playlist", Siri will try to play random stuff from my library.
Other names I've tried, it will play random stuff from Apple Music.
I thought I would be clever and named it an acronym, but when I asked Siri it looked up the stock ticker. :owned:

I've tried various things like "Run Shortcut Foo" and that doesn't seem to work either. It often tells me to unlock my phone which defeats the purpose!

What can I call this shortcut that will allow me to run it reliably?

You just invoke Siri and say the shortcut name. “Siri chill kitchen” sets my kitchen lights to like 30% and some other stuff, for instance. You’ve gotta name it something that doesn’t confuse Siri or you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah you gotta be a little weird with your names I think. Like try an off the wall one like “errant zephyr” or “sanctimonious blimp”. “Irresponsible cat”

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

~Coxy posted:

This is driving me bananas.

"Zephyr" -> looks up Washington Wizards :wtc:
"Axolotl" -> looks up axolotl
"Do What I want you to" -> "Interesting idea." (thanks a lot you sarcastic bitch)

Some other names I've tried invoke Shazam instead of the shortcut, or ask for the phone to be unlocked. (I've tested, you do not need the phone unlocked to run the shortcut via widget.)

Wow that really sucks!

I also wish they’d just document the Siri poo poo so we had something authoritative to refer to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive got a bad neck injury so I often use some XReal Airs to have a monitor I can work off of when my head is perfectly flat.

Now, for like $5000 Canadian dollars I can easily mount a tv on the ceiling of every room I would work in, so the Vision Pro is competing with some wild hardware, but the use case is the same imo and I would find it very useful.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder what updates XReal is going to come out with, because the major issue I have with the Air is the resolution and field of view. Otherwise they're what a lot of folks are describing, if pretty janky while you get to know the quirks of the thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

njsykora posted:

See what you've done there is what everyone else including Apple do and forgotten Arcade exists.

That frankly insanely good Hello Kitty game is worth $35 a month alone!

For the people who play it. NOt me. Please don't tell the newspapers that I played the hello kitty game, it's not true!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Since we were talking about battery features, I was going to rave about the 80% limiter, but it does fail to limit the charge mysteriously and randomly.

The rest of the time I just get to plug in my phone and not worry about causing extra battery wear than needed. It’s lovely for my particular brand of brain worm.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

It's intentional. They have to occasionally calibrate what a "full charge" is so it can accurately report available power.

My biggest grip is there doesn't appear to be a button anywhere to force a full charge, you have to go into settings and turn it off.

Yeah I was hoping this setting would be exposed to shortcuts at least but oh well! I’m just happy to have a charge limiter on everything expensive I have with a battery. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Anyone else feel like autocorrect has gotten significantly more aggressive, in a bad way, since iOS 17? I feel like am having to go back and change things it incorrectly autocorrected more than ever, and I don’t think my brain got dumber…

After my covid infection in 2022 I have had a horrible time trying to avoid typos and poo poo, especially while texting. I write technical manuals and poo poo for a living so I’m acutely aware of how many errors I make and it wasn’t like this before!

That’s what I’m attributing these changes to, personally.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

It's intentional. They have to occasionally calibrate what a "full charge" is so it can accurately report available power.

My biggest grip is there doesn't appear to be a button anywhere to force a full charge, you have to go into settings and turn it off.

Hm it keeps ignoring the limiter since I posted! It knows.

Gonna try a drain and charge to see if that gets it back to how it was.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Skeezy posted:

Go to the fruit stand.

Also I heard that Apple won’t do a replacement unless the battery health is below 80%? Might depend on the genius or whatever no idea.

What? Apple will let you buy a new battery all day every day if you want.

The battery is considered consumed at 80%, at which point they recommend a replacement.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

you know how npr talks about "driveway moments" where you keep sitting in your car after you get home to listen to the end of a story? this killed a lot of people from carbon monoxide poisoning. apple is just trying to help you finish the episode before you die

Wait, people were apparently killed in their running cars in large numbers because they were too into talk radio or podcasts?

Were they like, mostly activists or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I attributed it to last using a 12 mini and also being correct. Phones should not be this large or massive.

That camera tho