Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Delzuma posted:

There hasn't been a lot of content about the Camera in Video mode, should I see dramatic improvement over my 12 Pro in low light situations?

I think in the Verge review it's mentioned that low light is nicer in the 14 Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah if you did a reset you gotta give it some time to index everything or you might see it lag and/or warm up a lot.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I like the Bullstrap cases if you need something that’s not Apple. They cost like $90 which is pretty nuts imo.

I find the Apple ones okay but with the newer ones I find that the leather kinda gets sticky or weird or something after a while. I don’t remember this being a thing with the leather cases on the 11 and earlier.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I actually have a disgusting addiction to buying cases. I have a ton for the 13 Pro :)

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m a yearly updater for some dumb rear end reason but when I did the update from 12 mini to 13 Pro I got in on athree year deal with ATT so I’m stuck till the 16 and honestly, I’m kinda looking forward to seeing if anything cool happens by then.

The iLand is neat but I’m not super into it right now. I feel like the 13 Pro does what I need it to do and the ProMotion was really the last big thing I wanted at this point I think.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Doesn’t your agreement renew every time you upgrade?

When I got the 12 there wasn't any three year thing attached to it. For the 13 there was.

Honestly might go the route of just buying the phone outright next time as opposed to carrier stuff, but I'm not sure yet. Not really in a rush for this now.

Edit:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there any way to look at an Apple Music library without being subscribed? My free trials finally ran out and I want to go back to a different platform but I don’t remember what I’ve added since using AM

As far as I know you can't do this, since there's no free version once your access is up you'll keep getting the ad to subscribe.

But I might be making this up, I'm totally assuming that's what would happen.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

To me, Apple being cute and giving it a name sounds like it'll be something they could keep for the next couple of years. It's a talking point especially with the Dynamic Island name, it's not just a notch.

At least that's what I think Apple would think.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Snowy posted:

I’d like a calendar widget that shows my next appointment even if it’s a few days.

I’m using Fantastical now and it isn’t very helpful for it to say “none”. I want to know the next thing coming, no matter when it is.

Does that exist?

I believe that the Apple Calendar widget does this already, at least I've seen it done before. But I think it only shows the next thing for the current week, not stuff weeks ahead. So for Wednesday it should show stuff for Saturday, Sunday, etc.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh you meant on the Lock Screen? I'm sure I've seen the medium size widget do the thing I was talking about.

Yeah I don't like the small widget on the LS doing that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Update is actually out now,

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/22/23367467/iphone-14-pro-camera-shake-fixed-ios-16-update-copy-paste-prompt

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

There's no good thread for this as far as I can tell, but Apple Music has been mentioned here a couple of times - I just wanted to say that I just came across Cider and it's allowed me to finally ditch Spotify in favour of Apple Music. Cider is a windows Apple Music app. It's a free community project which was only released earlier this year, but is already approaching a lot of the functionality of the Spotify client - and goes without saying that it's leagues better than iTunes or the Apple Music web client on PC.

It's still missing a couple of things from Spotify. I still miss Spotify Connect greatly, and there's a remote app for this but you have to get a test flight slot to use it. You can't yet sort playlists, but they're on the case. Also no lossless, if that matters to you, because of Apple's own limitations.

But they've got a lot of fun audio processing stuff they've ginned up themselves - and this'll be a matter of subjective taste but I think music sounds great through it. And there are lots of tweaks and settings you can play around with, including for the interface. Highly recommend.

Not that it matters since it seems like you found a solution that works well for you but Apple did announce a Music client for Windows coming at some point.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

~Coxy posted:

What's the oldest model of Apple Watch that's still worth a drat?

Just get the SE if you're not super interested in getting an 8 or Ultra.

Or you can try finding a S5 for cheap maybe?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

blastron posted:

I have carried the same iTunes library forward since 2005 and have a playlist called "The Best Music" which contains only music I have rated five stars. It is a thousand songs long and is the only playlist I sync to my phone. When I want to listen to music I can just hit play and know that all of the songs are good, but maybe I need to skip twenty tracks until I find one I am in the mood for.

It's me. I'm the iPod Shuffle customer.

I do essentially the same thing but with the personalized radio station Apple Music makes. I don't really like having to look for an album I'm in the mood for, especially if I'm driving.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Trying out the Shared Library feature that 16.1 introduced and I’m not sure if I’m missing something here but is there no way to get a notification for when photos get added to the shared library?

I see an option for deletion notifications but it seems weird that I can’t have a notification for whenever photos get put in there.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I hope there’s a way around it but afaik Apple doesn’t let you change that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Need to save something for the AirTags 2

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

rafikki posted:

Weird bug with Safari on iphone at least right now - open a new the word "old" possibly with a space into the address bar and it crashes. Couple of other letters like "wel" and "okd" seem to do it too.

Looks to be an ongoing thing with some folks,

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/11/14/safari-search-crash-bug/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Oh you meant the mute option in a call, not the switch on the side of the phone lol.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I don’t think automatic updates have ever worked for me. The closest I’ve seen is with TestFlight betas updating.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m sure the feature works but I’m already hardwired to go into the AppStore every hour and check for updates :negative:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Everyone complains about the Spotify Podcasts thing but honestly if they added chapter support and the silence trimming thing Overcast/PocketCasts do I’d just use Spotify.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Once again, as always, rip RDio.

Too good for this world.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

bagmonkey posted:

Verizon is offering $800 trade-in on older phones again (in my case, Pixel 5) so I'm finally going to be getting my iPhone soon here. Any recommendations on screen protectors? I am pretty to very clumsy, so recommendations are recommended

I like the amFilm ones, cheap and easy to get off Amazon.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Keychain lets you upload the csv files if you want to move to that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Turn off the battery percentage.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'd just reformat the phone completely. Nuke that bitch.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Works on my machine.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

Check this out: they added more home screens

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

American McGay posted:

This is what peak performance looks like.

Pizza and McDonald’s apps getting prime Home Screen placement next to the health apps ftw

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

WebOS was awesome I agree. The Palm Pre was cool.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Rolo posted:

The Taco Bell app is insane. You can get a cheesy gordita crunch, beefy 5 layer burrito, nachos and a baja blast for 5 bucks using it.

Only way to get the Quesarito nowadays too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

I've got a 6 that has a battery that lasts for about an hour now so I'm ready for an upgrade. I haven't kept up with any of the recent models or reviews, does anyone in this thread have a suggestion on what model I should look at? I obviously don't care about having the latest so if there's a model that's 1/2 generations behind but super reliable and a lot cheaper I'd go for that. Appreciate any advice!

SE is a choice but hear me out here....13 Mini

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Went ahead and ordered the 14 Pro non-Max. Went to Bullstrap.co to get a new case to go with it, redeemed some loyalty points for a $15 coupon, and had a BOGO 50% off deal. Well the BOGO deal wouldn’t let me use my $15 off reward code, so if anyone wants it PM me or something. Don’t want it to go to waste.

Sent a PM

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Branch Nvidian posted:

Do we talk about cases in here? Just got the Bullstrap case for my 14 Pro. Case on the left is for the 14P, one on the right is my 13P’s case after 16 months of daily use, was originally the same color as the 14P’s case.

Picked up the South Beach case for my mom as well.

South Beach case is neat lol, wish they made a green leather too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-mi0CVGRQ

I like the yellow phone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Honestly a maxed out 13 mini isn't a terrible idea.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Metadata for classical music is all sorts of hosed on streaming apps.

https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/04/411963624/why-cant-streaming-services-get-classical-music-right

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

As much as the mini rules I don’t think I’d give up ProMotion to go back to a mini.

Unless…mini Pro…Apple :shepspends:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Corb3t posted:

My Razer cam is great, but I’m not a huge fan of their branding/logo (glorious as well).

Are there any third party apps that really showcase the dynamic island with the latest iPhones?

I'd say stuff like Carrot Weather, Flighty, Uber, and sport apps NBA/MLB all have dynamic island features that are nifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I find the iPhone keyboard annoying sometimes.

It's.cool.when.it.this.happens.when.typing.urls.