Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there a way to unreport a text message as spam. I just accidentally did it and didn’t mean to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

No way. You don’t say that a small “motor” rumbling every .5 seconds as you type might lower the battery life?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

See I caught it! gently caress you Tim!!!

(shot on an iPhone 13 Pro, I still can't bring myself to upgrade to 14 Pro when the benefits are soooooo marginal, even though on the Upgrade Program it's almost hurting myself not to upgrade)

e: It appears I fixed it by rebooting the phone, not happening anymore :)

e2: nevermind still happening :(

This is easily fixed.

Just live where there are never any clouds lmao

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

Yeah Siri voice tends to go to drunk disjointed mode for random reasons for me but that goes back to iOS 15. I can’t figure out why it does that some times but not others.

Yup I get this as well and I have no idea why.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CheshireCat posted:

My iPhone 14 Pro Max was delivered yesterday, set it up just fine and everything was working properly, upgraded to iOS 16.0.2, and Face ID stopped working. The camera refuses to register my face is within the required frame. Tried resetting Face ID and then tried restoring from a backup, but still no joy. Guess an Apple Store visit is in my future. :v:

Sorry about your face.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I just realized that if you hard press while on the lock screen it gives you the option to switch between pre-set wallpapers. Not sure I totally get the use case of this. Maybe one with the work week and one for the weekend? idk

I almost kinda don’t like it because I’ve triggered it by accident a few times now.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

The search in the settings app is sure useless. Here I was wondering why my phone didn't want to charge until I've unlocked, and apparently stopped after a while. I seemed to remember a setting back on my 12 Pro, that I toggled. But gently caress me if it were easy to find. You'd figure typing "USB" in the search field would make it show up. But nope. Eventually the interwebs helped me find the "USB Accessories" setting in Face ID -> Enable when Locked. Thanks Tim Apple.

This is a common theme with the settings app.

When I was trying to remove the search button from the Home Screen typing search didn’t come up with it which is dumb because it’s actually a toggle for search on the Home Screen

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty sure they just automatically replace both. I had to take mine in last year because one was giving me issues and they just replaced both

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah afaik you can’t block YouTube ads unless you use it in safari and not the YouTube app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well because you were on the wrong 5G. You wanted that other 5G that scales for large groups.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

5G is the future

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

canyonero posted:

Has anyone else been having issues with spotlight search? When I search for some things, it behaves as if it's not searching at all. For Maps in particular, it doesn't give me the app itself as a result.

Yeah I had this issue today. Also search Can be slow as hell on a 13 pro max

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So my dad gave me an iPhone 11 64 to see if I could sell but I’m not quite sure what to do with it. The battery is at 99% but the screen for some reason has these two bright white spots on it.

I checked swappa and the 11 seems to be going for like $280 but they don’t have any screen issues. A new screen is $199 from Apple so a replacement isn’t worth it.

What would be a halfway decent price for this? I’m not even sure how the screen got like this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

my dad's phone has the same thing. I have no idea what dads do to make that happen.

Right??

Mister Facetious posted:

Must be some Fantasy sports app, right?

Maybe it's an issue with pressure being applied under the screen to those spots

Maybe he doesn’t do any of those apps though.

Anyone know what a fair price would be? Or if a goon needs it make an offer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Just get the SE if you're not super interested in getting an 8 or Ultra.

Or you can try finding a S5 for cheap maybe?

Yeah the SE is a great way to go.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

As I’m sure you know, Verizon roaming is $10 a day, and is triggered by an outgoing text message, any incoming or outgoing call, or data usage. You *should* get notified of you trigger that. Which , honestly will tell you if you need to tweak a setting or whether it is working correctly or not.

Does Verizon still have that ridiculous 500mb data cap for international roaming?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just end up paying the $10 a day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d just pay the $50 then.

She’ll probably get the $50 use out of it before you are forced to upgrade.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

iPhone thread tag looks a lot like the Los Angeles thread tag. I’m very tired

lol there’s a thread for LA?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

What you mean, there's a thread for most major metros. Chicagoons are a pretty big group and LA has more humans, so probably more goons.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=241

lol I rarely venture out of my bookmarks

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Someone should ask the one dude who actually uses it for transferring data.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

When the 3DS came out some goon glued a three game case holder to his actual system, immediately regretted it and ripped it off, leaving three huge ugly circles on his console. Man, that was hilarious.

Anyway, OP, try cabinet bumpers lmao

This is the 2022 version

Magic Shortbus posted:

Velcroed an old micro keyboard/mouse to the back of the Steam Deck. Comes in handy for typing passwords and other things. Doesnt get in the way and adds only a tiny weight. Feels like a good cheap mod!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anothergod posted:

It looks like 2020 iPhone SEs are ~$150 on eBay which is like... the cost of repairing my current Pixel 4a. Can I buy any of those and hook them up to my Verizon account? I'm not really sure how this works.

I’d check swappa before eBay though.

You might pay a few $$ more but you shouldn’t have to worry about any issues with lost or stolen phones.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

anothergod posted:

So I was planning on switching back to iPhone when USBC happened but my android phone is looking like it’s dying. I’m thinking maybe get an iPhone SE now and selling it next year, but I’m not sure how to navigate that minefield…

Oh and I’d spend $10 on this 5 pack of lightning cables and not have to worry about needing extra cables

Limited-time deal: Amazon Basics ABS USB-A to Lightning Cable Cord, MFi Certified Charger for Apple iPhone, iPad, Black, 6-Ft, 5-Pack https://a.co/609sGhE

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Amazon is getting rid of some of its cables and I think these are really handy tbh

$2.10

Limited-time deal: Amazon Basics iPhone Charger Cable, Nylon USB-A to Lightning, MFi Certified, for Apple iPhone, iPad, 10,000 Bend Lifespan - Silver, 1-Ft https://a.co/f8kld6t

I like them to hook up when I’m traveling and using my battery pack to charge up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I’ll give an alternate opinion in that I actually vastly prefer using SA via the iOS/iPad app over the website and I actually even use the app on my Mac.

I agree

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I hope they never do because the forum doesn’t work properly via safari.

I’ve never had an issue with it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Do you have an AS based Mac? The issue only manifests itself on those apparently. Basically when you try and post there is massive input lag and letter appear like 20 seconds after you type them. Doesn’t happen on any other website, lots of people have reported it.

Yeah I do. Maybe I’ve never noticed it :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Google loves to break random poo poo OP

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Search not working or being incredibly slow is fuckin frustrating as hell

It just sat there and wouldn’t search so I had to manually find the app like a savage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

Is there such thing as a weight scale that puts data into Apple Health automatically, or is opening an iPhone app every time just a necessary step?

Yeah afaik if you give the app access to health it should put the data in there. I know the scales that do this exist I just don’t know off hand which ones do.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Not only that but you can delete the iOS versions of the apps if you want to.

I had to keep mail installed because one stupid app won’t let me mail documents from it and it complains that mail isn’t installed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TACD posted:

TBH that sounds more like you want one of those Hello Fresh / Blue Apron / etc services that home delivers ingredients and recipes

Yeah that’s exactly what I was thinking

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hell yeah third party fart apps are back on the menu boys!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Auto update works great actually.

If you use an app frequently it will like 99% of the time update it automatically. If you rarely use the app it pushes it out to some whatever date.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Need someone from level 3 tech support to fix it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

i updated a while ago, but i forgot to ask. did the new version of ios go full throttle on the white levels on the main screen? for whatever reason my white end of the spectrum looks super high. is there a way to reduce this?

Maybe check your True Tone setting in display and brightness?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

If you have monthly AppleCare+, does it show up somewhere in Settings? We can’t find it on my wife’s phone, but she also got it replaced once already so maybe that screwed it up. I just want to change the credit card.

I looked for mine a few weeks ago and it’s not on the phone. You need to log in on the web to see it.

https://support.apple.com/my-support

You can see the coverage in the Apple support app but I couldn’t figure out how to change the credit card on it though.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 14, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Could you say why would a restore fix anything?

Well because you haven’t even tried it.

It really doesn’t even take that long. You’ve spent more time trying not to restore at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Siri suggestions are getting real weird.

Work and call dad are fine but that soccer team?? I’ve also never gone into the settings for venmo because I’ve never needed it.