Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've been thinking about Rhinoshield's Mod NX cause I can have a red band around the white iPhone and a clear back. Not sure though.

Also looking into dBrand's Grip case. Saw it in a video today and the Solstice looks really rad.

https://dbrand.com/shop/grip/iphone-14-pro-max-cases

I usually go with the standard Apple silicone but if they had a Product RED leather one, I'd 100% switch to that.

EDIT: Speaking of that, the case came in just now. It's a bit of a lighter red than the 13 Pro Max silicone case.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

101 posted:

No, not really. There are a lot of good case brands. As someone who has bought far too many, here like the top 5 I'd recommend that other people also seem to like a lot:

• Caudabe Sheath
• Spigen Liquid Air
• Phone Rebel (whatever generation case they're currently on)
• Apple (Silicone, Clear, or Leather)
• Otterbox Symmetry

I had the Caudabe Sheath for the iPhone 12 Pro Max and I always worried it'd break the phone somehow trying to get it out. It seems to be a very hard plastic.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

The KWMOBILE cases have been solid loving gold for me for 2 generations now. Some of the best cases out there. It's a silicone case with microfabric inside. Very low profile and they keep your phones MINT. Comes in tons of colours too.

The official Apple silicone cases have microfabric inside as well. My iPhone 12 Pro Max looks like I never touched it inside. That's another thing no SIM card tray will do...you can go straight from the phone box to the case without having to get fingerprints on it just to take the tray out.

EDIT: https://www.austinmann.com/trek/iphone-14-pro-camera-review-scotland

Here's a pretty detailed review about the iPhone 14 Pro's camera vs the 13 Pro's. It basically boils down to:

• 48MP ProRAW being good but too large in filesize and slow, 12MP ProRAW is still good.
  • There's much less noise in darker shots
  • The reviewer seems to like the satellite connectivity in the iPhone 14 and will carry his dedicated satellite device less because of it
  • Apple still overprocesses and oversharpens the photos.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 15, 2022

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

85% is really low considering the phone starts at 100%... How long does it take to get to that number?

I think my iPhone was 90-something before I reset it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

So people on Reddit are indecisive (shocker...) about the camera on the 14 Pros. They keep going on and on about an oil painting effect on iPhone photos. I checked some of my 13PM photos and yeah, they do have it...if you zoom in really, REALLY close. But so does the Pixel 6 Pro's photos if you zoom in super close.

Has anyone else experienced it as bad as others say or are my eyes just being stupid again and can't tell? I wouldn't be surprised if it was me, my eyes are a tad awful. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Reddit is getting weird about night photos now. There’s a comparison between a pixel 6 and and a 14 something, and people are falling head over heels for the oversaturated colours on the pixel shot.

Yeah that's the thread I saw. People are already trashing the phone before even getting it, psyching themselves up for disappointment early.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder how widespread this is. It's the first time I've personally heard of it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is the Apple clear case the best clear case to get? It doesn’t really protect the bottom of the phone but apparently it doesn’t yellow either?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How do I make the notifications go up to where they were on iOS 16 on the lockstren? Being at the bottom really messes with me..

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who transfers files that way in the year 2022?

How else does one transfer photos and video? I’ve tried waiting for iCloud to sync and it’s an absolute pain.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://9to5mac.com/2022/09/18/iphone-14-pro-camera-module-shaking-and-rattling/

iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max has a major camera bug in 3rd party applications like Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat. Apparently the OIS freaks the gently caress out and goes into overdrive with physical shaking and loud buzzing noises because the apps aren't optimized to work with the new OIS in the 14 Pros. However some claim it should've been fixed at the OS level and Apple is to blame. Whatever the cause, Apple is apparently giving out free new devices because while it may or may not be a hardware issue, it can cause permanent hardware damage to the camera.

Some on Reddit say they didn't notice the problem until opening a 3rd party app, some say it happens in the default Camera app as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wku5Eff4XU

https://twitter.com/LukeMiani/status/1570913076320567299

I didn't have the issue using the default camera app or on Telegram using my 14 Pro Max. I don't have TikTok or Snapchat and I don't post on Instagram.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Has anyone said cameragate yet?

Oisgate is what I saw someone use on Twitter :v

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I tested my 14 Pro Max with instagram and it made a tick noise once and that was it. It’s easy to reproduce too.

I’m calling it this from now on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/tech/iphone-14-pro-camera-shake/index.html

Apple has a software fix coming next week for the camera shaking issue on iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/xl1h6p/turns_out_crash_detection_works_fantastic_sucks/

Apparently Crash Detection on the iPhone 14 works well.

Also my friend with an iPhone XR says Crash Detection doesn't work because he also got into an accident today. :v: I think he wishes he had an iPhone 14 now. lol

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

shrike82 posted:

i picked up the new airpod pros - significant improvement in ANC and competitive with the Sony WF-1000XM4 without having to resort to the latter's tight earbud seal

How do the new ear tips work if you have used them? I want the new ones, Amazon has them $10 off (but taxes kick it back up to MSRP...) but I don't know about the XS tips. The original Pros hurt my ears.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Some on Reddit are saying that 16.0.2 didn't fix the camera shaking issue in 3rd party apps on the 14 Pro/Pro Max. The loud clicking of the OIS in Instagram is still there too, this one I can personally confirm. I blocked Instagram's camera access until this is fixed.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Occasionally I start typing and the keyboard is super loud so the speaker cracks. Happened at least twice today and resolves as I’m typing.

14PM on 16.0.2

I've had this happen too when system sounds just go bonkers loud for no reason. It's not great since some system sounds go through earbuds...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quackles posted:

This is the ideal battery management panel. You might not agree with me, but this is what Peak Performance looks like.

(:v:)

:golfclap:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rick posted:

The fact that Spotlight actually works on mac helps a lot, if you don't know where it is it'll show up on your search. Windows moves settings every six months and the search works about half the time.

Spotlight is the coolest goddamn thing on Mac, iOS, and iPad OS as someone who's just recently got into Apple products since about 2 years ago. I still try to use Windows Key + Spacebar on my Windows desktop. I'm kind of surprised to see it's not in Windows 11.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of the camera on the 14 Pro / Pro Max, is the camera supposed to go blurry if you turn macro mode off? Also I find it sometimes has focusing issues on things like QR codes. Wondering if I could get AppleCare+ and use it. I did have the camera make a loud click noise on Instagram.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

blastron posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a drop-resistant case for an iPhone 14 Pro? I'm looking for something that has a lip around the screen and the camera since I'm astoundingly clumsy when it comes to phones and wind up dropping mine on the sidewalk at least once a week.

I've been hearing a bunch about UAG:

https://www.urbanarmorgear.com/products/monarch-pro-magsafe-series-iphone-14-pro-max-case

https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Shockproof-URBAN-ARMOR-GEAR/dp/B0B94VV3PX?ref_=ast_sto_dp

It's about $80 - $100 though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Just noticed today that there’s a decent sized chunk in my official silicone case for my phone. Should I be looking into new cases as it won’t protect my phone well or am I still good?

Alternatively, does Apple have warranty for their cases as I got it with the phone when it released (14 Pro Max).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Not sure on the warranty, but probably ? Of all things, I would recommend texting apple. Their text customer service is actually very responsive overall and usually resolves any concerns I have. Quick way to find out if they would swap it or not.

Oh hey! I remember you from the Sprint thread when I had them.

Thanks for the recommendation. I texted them, they scheduled a Genius Bar appointment at the local store and I’ve got a free replacement coming in a few days.

Thanks again!

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 7, 2022

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Resdfru posted:

How do the Google apps work with ios, from what I can tell on my iPad, Google photos won't upload pics unless I have the app open which is kind of annoying. Any other weird quirks with Gmail, maps, Google home, other apps? Does the Google opinion reward app on ios give as many surveys as Android?

Any tips or tricks for switching? How do I live without a dedicated back and app switching button? They don't have touchid anymore right? They ever gonna bring it back? I've gotten so used to my in-screen fingerprint scanner, really gonna miss it.

Last thing, does the ask for approval thing in screen time just stop working and is there a way to fix it. One of my kids iPads for about a month has only been sending the request to my MacBook and no matter what mine nor my wife's iPad never gets it. Is that gonna happen with the iPhone too or am I just super unlucky?

Thanks for reading my long post

Google Opinion Rewards on iOS actually gives you real money you can cash out at $2 each time for money to your credit card or whatever your payment thing is. However, I haven't gotten many surveys from them in a long time.

Like others have said, Google Photos will sync from the iPhone easily while on wifi and I don't have to do anything but make sure it's sending them uncompressed as I pay for Google One storage. In fact, if I delete the images from the Google Photos app, it will also delete from the phone AND iCloud.

Honestly. I've not had a dedicated back button for years since I came from a Pixel. Fingerprints on the Pixel 6 Pro are kind of slow and a bit awful while Face ID is muuuuch faster. In fact it's usable on just about every single app where as not all apps supported fingerprinting on Android.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

xzzy posted:

I don't know if this Freeform app fills a need anyone actually has but I'm definitely gonna spam my wife with so many dumb drawings.

I'm gonna send so many drawings to my roommate. haha

This poo poo is cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I've posted this what feels like many times, perhaps there are some folks that don't know you can do this. Search something on Amazon, select a top level department that applies in the results on left nav. Now you'll have checkboxes for "Seller" on left nav, you can select Amazon.com and it will filter out so much third party seller garbage.

Goons will come out of the woodwork to say "Well even if Amazon sells it they pile all matching SKUs in the same box for the robot", sure that may be true, I have not had an issue with this in a long while. You will still see garbage, but it filters almost all of the fly by night China manufacturers with their third party sellers out.

This option is 100% purposefully non-obvious because FBA is big business, and may be even more profitable for them. I can't overstate how much higher quality search results are with that checkbox on.

Someone on Reddit made this which ONLY searches stuff shipped and sold by Amazon.

https://timothy.fries.dev/projects/2020/amazon-search/ I ended up bookmarking it and use it constantly.

It works on Amazon.com as well as co.uk, .de, and .fr.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

You really don't need that

Oh this is cool, what is this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I can confirm that 5G now works on Google Fi with the newest iOS update.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone have an AirTag wallet? It seems way too thick to put in your back pocket and sitting on the AirTag doesn't seem like a good idea. Putting your wallet in a front pants pocket is also a bit tricky since I already have my phone in my front right and keys/AirPods in my front left, but that may be the least worst option.

I didn't know this was a thing. Apparently Spigen sells them. huh.

I'd also like to know if they're worth getting. I miss having a tracker in my wallet.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MrBond posted:

If it’s a major retailer they’re probably in some kind of grudge match with credit cards over fees, and might be trying to get people to use some other kind of system instead that has less fees/is better for the store. Anything that makes credit cards easier to use makes it harder to push the other thing. Walmart is I think the most famous example of this.

Kroger used to bitch about this but are starting to relent and allow Apple Pay in their stores finally. I think Walmart is the only holdout and would rather everyone use Walmart Pay. Kroger still has their own pay thing too but will also accept Apple Pay now.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Christ, I thought we were past stores partnering with fly by night companies to roll out some horseshit custom payment service.

Walmart has been trying to get people to use their pay service over actually paying in the store for years now. They don't like that the credit card companies take "so much" from them and would rather just cut them out so they pushed their completely unsecure pay thing. IIRC they revamped it, it's still not secure, it still sucks, but they keep pushing it just to cut out credit card companies.

Store conglomerates REALLY hate MasterCard and Visa fees apparently.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Friend accidentally got windshield wiper fluid on my phone screen and watch. Just a few drops.

..So how hosed am I? I'm thinking about making an appointment to the Apple Store on Monday since they both have Apple Care on them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

That’s actually not covered under Apple care. Not all liquids are covered as damage and that’s one of them.

Sorry friend.

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t listen to this troll. It will still work fine but the colors of the screen will slowly start to degrade due to the chemicals in the fluid. You won’t have any issues using it besides that though.

Awesome I guess.

It'll probably affect the trade value of it as well if that happens. He seems to think it's fine because he has a Pixel 6 Pro and uses glass cleaner wipes (not rated for electronics of any kind, I checked) on his screen all the time.

He also gets mad when it doesn't respond to his touch half the time and likes to pretend he knows chemistry.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm kind of wanting to switch from Google Fi to Verizon or something.... is waiting until the 15 comes out a good idea or should I just do it now and keep the 14 Pro Max I already have?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Corb3t posted:

You’re just going to have to ignore the fact that there’s an “all photos” section. I wish Apple would port over the smart folders function from the macOS Photos app to iOS, though.

iOS’s system wide and photo search is incredibly popular though. Stop janitoring.

There’s a smart photos thing in macOS Photos??

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I’m on the fence if I want the Pro or the Pro Max this year. On one hand, I like the size of the Pro. On the other, I have crappy vision and the larger screen helps.

Also 5x zoom sounds nice. I guess I could wait to see how good the Pro cameras are though?

frogbs posted:

I agree with this, very disturbing phone to hold, never felt right.

I really liked the 5c, never understood the hate it got, and am bummed Apple never made another plastic phone.

Also, whoever said the 4s was the best iPhone was correct. The 4/4s still look awesome, we’re the right size/weight, and don’t feel that dated to use, what, 10 years later?

Edit: 13 years later, goddamn.

iPhone: very disturbing phone to hold

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

~Coxy posted:

In IOS17, there's a setting in Accessibility to reduce the time duration for a Haptic Touch. I set it to Fast and it's so much better in my opinion.

I loving love this.

Thank you!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

Will they replace the battery no questions asked? I tried to get my iPad Pro battery replaced and they basically were like, yeah no, it's just not quite their yet in degraded capacity. But I also think they just give you a new refurbed iPad Pro instead of doing the battery work on it.

I was told by Apple reps that they don't replace iPad batteries or repair them and usually just give you a whole new device because of how they're built.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

For those who have a Bullstrap case, how strong is the MagSafe ring? I’d like to use the official wallet and do charging too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Bullstrap doesn't have anything to protect the bottom of the phone? That's...concerning.