Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I stopped using a case regularly about 6 months ago when I took my 12 pro out of its case and realised how much nicer it looked without it. No damage as yet, but I spend 90% of my time at home so the couch isn’t really a huge scratch threat. I have a magnetic Anker ring attachment on the back which is basically perfect for extra grippiness.

I’ll only put the case on if I’m going in the forest where my chances of falling over are higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

What's in the forest

Trees and Finns.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is the Apple clear case the best clear case to get? It doesn’t really protect the bottom of the phone but apparently it doesn’t yellow either?

I used one for a while with the 12 Pro and tbh I didn’t like it. Slippery and ugly.

Apollo has the best Dynamic Island feature so far. A tiny little pixelated buddy who lives up there while you’re scrolling through reddit. :)

Creature fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 17, 2022

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I don't use sleep focus, only DND, but over the last few nights I've noticed my 14 Pro has turned the screen off completely while I'm asleep. It's on the charger with an alarm set, so I assume it knows that I'm probably not looking at it for a while.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I’ve been using my personalised Apple Music station more often in recent months. It’s mostly good and gives me music I want to listen to.

But when I listen to (for example) the Triple J Hottest 100 playlists from 1998-2004, Apple Music decides that the artists which were most popular during that period are my ‘favourites’, and they end up in rotation on my station or in my Favourites playlist week after week until it finally learns that when I hit ‘suggest less like this’ I actually mean it.

Basically, I wish there was an option to play music without it contributing to the algorithm. Like an incognito mode or something. When I get the urge to relive my youth it doesn’t mean that I want to hear Silverchair and Grinspoon all day every day from then on. 😓

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent iOS recipe organiser app? My wife has a binder of recipes she's gathered from magazines over the last decade and I want to get them into some kind of searchable order so we can actually use them.

I've heard that Paprika is meant to be good, I don't know if there are other alternatives. Ideally I'd want it to be on both iOS and Mac but iOS only is OK too.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Lightningproof posted:

I’ve been using Mela as a recipe app recently. Does everything I remember Paprika doing but less outdated design. Might be worth a look.

I decided to give this a go purely because I saw it’s by Silvio Rizzi, and I’ve been a Reeder user since day 1.

I scanned a recipe with the iPhone’s camera, and aside from a couple of minor character recognition errors it worked brilliantly. I like how you can define which parts of the page are name/ingredients/method all at once, it seems very simple and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! ☺️

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

American McGay posted:

Be careful setting a clip of a favorite song as an alarm. I get PTSD whenever I hear the beginning of Mr Flash - Powerlight.

I still get a mild panic every time I hear the intro to 19/2000 by Gorillaz because it was my ringtone while I was a casual retail worker and it meant I was being called in for a shift. 😓

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I have one of those magnetic Anker batteries for when I need a little extra juice. It’s chunky as gently caress but works exactly as intended and is one less cable that I’ll get caught on something.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Referee posted:

I’d never heard of this until you mentioned it but this sounds like it would beat the hell out of carrying a power bank with an extra cable. Do you have any experience using it with an Apple MagSafe leather case- does it hold well through that?

Yeah it holds alright through the case. The magnets are pretty strong.

When charging it heats up a fair bit though. I wouldn’t recommend charging with it in a pocket.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

After landing at the airport last month I got an alert that my baggage was last seen about halfway through the flight. According to the map it must have fallen out of the plane. 😄

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Thanks for the recommendations I’ll keep it in mind.

Will having a data only plan with esim let me keep using WhatsApp? If I went to Europe for example I’d only communicate with my European contacts via WhatsApp. Currently they talk to me by texting my US number on WhatsApp.

E: so like what I’d like to do is say arrive to EU, get a data only esim plan. My friends in EU would keep msging me on WhatsApp at my 555-555-5555 number but I would send and receive those msgs with the esim plan.

That will work. WhatsApp might prompt you to update your number but you can ignore it.

I travelled from Finland-Singapore-Australia and back again a few months ago, used esim the entire way. No issues using WhatsApp.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Rolo posted:

Standby is definitely jacked. I keep removing all of the widgets but 2 from it and turning off whatever smart rotate and suggestions are, the next night I plug my phone in and there’s another random 2 widgets I don’t want front and center.

Still a neat thing to have but man it’s janky and lackluster at the moment.

Yep. I woke up an hour early this morning thinking I'd overslept my 6am alarm because Standby had somehow reactivated the world clock widget which I removed yesterday.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

It would be really nice if while using a non-English keyboard iOS wouldn’t autocorrect based on English spelling. ‘Te’ is a common Finnish word but iOS changes it every drat time.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

Sometimes I buy albums I really like on Bandcamp, but stream them through Apple Music anyway. I figure it’s only fair that they get the extra € if I like what they’re doing.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

All my Apple Music usage is either on my iPhone or on my Mac. I find it much easier to do all my library janitoring via the desktop app, especially bulk adding/deleting or making playlists.

It was bug city just after AM launched, but I see very little weirdness these days.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I feel like I’m going mad. Apple Music Spatial Audio, as in the thing that makes music sound like it’s coming from multiple points around you. Does it work on all headphones or just the AirPods Max and Beats Solo Pro? I feel like it’s meant to work on everything, but I can’t find any solid explanation because it’s muddled up with the Spatial Audio which makes your music sound like it’s coming from wherever your phone is.

I have some old Beats Solo3 headphones which I could have sworn used to show up as Spatial Audio, but now when I use them the option to turn it on/off isn’t there. I can’t be sure if I’m misremembering or if Spatial isn’t available at all.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

njsykora posted:

It works on everything, its just a different mix using Dolby Atmos. Airpods and Beats though have the option of automatically switching to it which I've never been sure of the utility of. I don't think it's that good though so I just keep it off.

Thanks, that's what I thought...

When I'm using my Airpods and go into the volume control, Spatial Audio options are off/fixed/head tracked.

The Beats just show noise cancellation. So how do you turn Spatial Audio on/off, if at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

I didn't even think of looking in there.:doh: