Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Very nice. They patina quick so if you like a pristine spotless look they might not be for you, but the material quality is superb and they feel super nice to hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

101 posted:

I don't personally like using leather things
Well you're in luck, the Apple leather case barely qualifies as leather.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
My main use case for the cutout tool is Discord, which was initially showing the white background and I assumed it was just an automatic jpeg compression inherent with the way the app handled images, but someone suggested deleting and reinstalling Discord which worked perfectly. Now all my cat pics are transparent no matter where I post them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol

It's definitely doing some AI object scanning and not just basic edge detection. If you've got a pic with multiple people it will grab them both even though they're not near each other.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Soul Glo posted:

Nope! It’s not linear, it follows its own weird battery magic science. Typically people find iPhone batteries useless in the low 80s.
Define people.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Weedle posted:

maybe they stopped making the mini because the camera bump would have looked loving stupid

lmao I still remember when people were throwing an absolute poo poo fit over the tiny 1mm ring around the 6 camera and how it ruined the phone because it could no longer sit flat on a table.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dynamic island is definitely a stopgap, but it's also a pretty nice one. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Can we get a Dynamic Island trip report?

https://twitter.com/MacRumors/status/1570825859627651072

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Shifty Pony posted:

Ok what the gently caress is this?

Looks like a screen recording of a timer Dynamic Island widget OP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably some sort of visual flourish to alert you that your timer is halfway done. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just factory reset the 14 and set it up as a new phone. You don’t need any of that stuff anyway.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You need at least one icon in the top left.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Set it up as new device and just use it. Download stuff when you decide you need it. Free yourself of these binds.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThermoPhysical posted:

How do I make the notifications go up to where they were on iOS 16 on the lockstren? Being at the bottom really messes with me..
Hmm I dunno that’s a real head scratcher. Maybe if there were some sort of notifications settings menu somewhere.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sir you are in for an Apple Store visit!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Conversely, coming from an XR I'm not sure you'd actually be able to tell the difference between a 13 or a 14. Guess it all depends on if $100 matters much to you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder how many iPhones they’ve had to replace in the meantime. Whoever made the mistake is definitely getting fired, probably cost tens of millions of dollars in replacement units.
Do you not remember Bendgate? iPhone news aggregates on sensational reporting of flaws that affect a fraction of a percentage of all users. And is it even confirmed that it’s an issue that would require replacement?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's because it doesn't update the weather info in the background so it's jumping from the weather conditions at 8am to the weather conditions at noon when you got a text.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
drat this dude loves scanning barcodes.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

its mind boggling that they still haven't added at least an optional shortcut to settings in the Control Center shortcuts. I probably enter Settings at least once a day.
Quit janitoring your phone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Trade for a 13m.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think such a thing exists my friend.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can emulate the iPad version of Messages on Windows and it works well enough after a little setup.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Did your old phones not have a USB-C charger?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only thing I miss about fingerprint sensors are the android style back of the phone ones that can be used as a swipe pad to easily check notifications/settings one handed. Other than that though, FaceID has really surprised me with how well it works. I have zero desire to go back to a fingerprint sensor anywhere on the phone.

Also an Apple Watch really pairs nicely too, with super fast NFC stuff and backup unlocking your phone quickly if for some reason FaceID fails.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Watch it just be a USB-C port on the phone end, but still USB 2.0 on the other end.
What do you mean still? The iPhone ships with a lightning->USB-C cable.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you want to use your phone try holding it in your hand. Hth OP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’m completely indifferent. As long as they can fit a C port into the current design without loving it up and making it thicker then whatever.

I’d like to see the setups of the people who complain about “having to use two different cables” though. Probably complete disaster areas. An extra cable isn’t gonna kill you.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Click the iPod Shuffle button twice to skip forward, three times to skip backwards.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

buglord posted:

Oh yeah I’d been meaning to ask. iPod Shuffle havers, how did that feel like at the time? I always felt like lack of a screen would be a nonstarter, but maybe back then people just shuffled their music more? Could you choose playlists or were you just stuck to one?
It was incredibly sick to like, take on a run/walk and just have 3 hours of music in a paper clip or whatever. I always used mine as like a secondary "active" iPod and used a regular screened iPod for general daily use.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Battery life is considerably less, but it still lasts a full day with regular use and honestly with fast charging now I can’t imagine it really being a deciding factor for me. If I’m at 14% I’ll just plug it in for 5 minutes and get another 4 hours out of it.

Might buy another one next year when they’re on clearance cause it really is the perfect size phone.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Crashes on my machine OP.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Wheeee posted:

Apple is going hard on advertising despite internal push back and negative media coverage because Tim Apple wants those fat Google-size gross margins, meanwhile they just hiked the cost of Apple One two weeks ago, the days of high-value low-cost services from Apple are over.

what

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I dunno man I just plug in my phone at night like a normal person.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
SE

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
5/5S/SE is by far the coolest design. I just picked the SE because I think the Space Gray or whatever is slightly more stark looking than the Midnight of the 5.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1600993403788922880?s=46&t=4zIz-8fPSKCVar5csZfyYg

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Using your phone to make phone calls? Couldn't be me.